THE BROWNS BOARD

New virus/worm appearing, read:

calfoxwc

Ha!

You mean the $149 I paid the Geek Squad to get my "mac up & running out of the box" was a rip-off?

*wishing I owned a mac*

Dude they are a scam. Put in the disk and it walks you through installation. What a rip off. You got some issues or questions email me, I'll help you through it for FREE. Geek Squad, yea right and I get my printing done at Kinko's.

Okay, I'll go slower.

YOU

SAID

YOU

KNEW

HOW

EASY

IT

WAS

TO

CREATE

A

VIRUS

BECAUSE

YOU

WERE

A

NETWORK SETUP

AND

WEB

DESIGNER

SO

I

JOKED

ABOUT

HTML

SINCE

HTML

IS

USED

TO

CREATE

WEB

SITES.

DOOFUS.

Dude they are a scam. Put in the disk and it walks you through installation. What a rip off. You got some issues or questions email me, I'll help you through it for FREE. Geek Squad, yea right and I get my printing done at Kinko's.

I was being facetious. I honestly can't believe Jobs lets Best Buy print that kind of shit in their ads. Mac's ace up the sleeve is that they already work out of the box. And don't quit.

I was being facetious. I honestly can't believe Jobs lets Best Buy print that kind of shit in their ads. Mac's ace up the sleeve is that they already work out of the box. And don't quit.

Yea I know, just hate them, clouds my better judgment. Got 3 Mac's (mini, macbook and a old dual g4 tower) and 2 other Windows machines that collect dust now I have dual boot on the macbook. Going to convert one to a linux box, we'll see how that goes.

Had me wondering. We never worked on Mac's.

But, for the outrageous prices they charge, and the dishonest

lying to customers that they had viruses and spyware so

they could be auto-charged 160 bucks to "clean" their hard drive.

we were ordered to do that, and concentrate on senior citizens,

because they would never know better.

That supervisor is gone now. But in retail, you never know...

I refused to lie, got po'd, quit and started my own business.

Hey, seriously for a minute - a friend was asking me if he should buy a Mac or a Windows machine.

I don't know anything about Macs. Anybody have some good advice?

cal just an opinion...

Macs= ease of functionality and customer interface superiority (for now) entry cost is higher but because they have a very small market share imprint spyware/virus etc really are not directed toward them. (plus server hardware is ALL ibm clone systems)

Macs hardware or even os technologies are not "superior" or more "virus proof" than ibm clones they just dont have enough market share to garner the attention.

One thing they are definately is more streamlined in functionality (part of this can be attributed to the fact they dont garner enough attention to put up barriers in the first place)

I love my Iphone it is a superior product in software enduser functionality than ANYTHING on the market and that pretty much translates into desktop and laptop macs vs ibm clones.

IF your friend has the extra money he wont go wrong buying a mac solution for the personal gratification they will recieve from the functionality.

IF its about price vs performance than IBM clones will definately give them more bang for the buck (not to mention ease of upgrade ability on hardware costs)

There is one Caveat.... My real estate guys noticed that the MLS system was not built with Navigator in mind so it does not display the database fields correctly or even completely on a Mac.... Not all web solutions even care about mac compatability which is something to keep in mind.

I do find that the mac world is a bit cult like in its devotion... something after my iphone i do understand a bit. However when it comes to enterprise database solutions or hardware firepower they really dont have any options that ibm clones currently provide.

This is all temporary a couple of us were beta testers for the new windows OS........ WOW is all I have to say. Everything vista was supposed to be is not a reality without the negative drawbacks... for now.

IF the new OS for windows keeps up than MAC world is in DEEP doo doo. The new os is geared and ready for OLED technologies touch screen etc..... and the ease of use so far unless they make modifications is SUPERIOR to anythig mac currently has. Windows 7 is something else. well that is unless they really start tinkering with it which is a possibility with Microsoft.

THANKS, Sev. I had to explain I didn't have a clue. I'll forward your advice on, it will really help !

I know a LOT, but I hardly know much at all. :rolleyes:

Nice post, sev.

How much of a resource hog is new Windows 7? That's the only real reason I'd prefer a mac over a PC right now is that I could do all of my work/ play on 2GB of RAM rather than watch Vista chow down 4 all the time. Keeps the machine running a lot cooler too. Other than that I haven't had any real problems with Vista (since August) *knocks on wood* except compatibility between windows movie/dvd programs. Nero fixed that up.

If "7" is what you say it is, I'll definitely be -*ahem*- acquiring a copy.

One thing I will say about the Dell machine I have is the connectivity options. HDMI out is badass in the fall when I am streaming Browns games. I mean, it's no HD quality, but there is no loss from my laptop screen to my TV.

My biggest gripe with Vista is driver support.

I have a fair amopunt of pro audio hardware that STILL doesn't work.

Plus I finally just turned off administrator control.

It still seems a little less stable and I reboot more often.

I HAVE two more g of ram that isn't inside since I haven't put on Vista 64.

Hopefully 7 is 64.........

WSS

cal just an opinion...

There is one Caveat.... My real estate guys noticed that the MLS system was not built with Navigator in mind so it does not display the database fields correctly or even completely on a Mac.... Not all web solutions even care about mac compatability which is something to keep in mind.

That is just not true. You have to test on all platforms. The market share is increasing for Mac. I test on all platforms in many of browsers.

Cal, you really need to have both platforms nowadays. I could tell you all this shit about how Mac's are better, they really are, but the real truth is you need both platforms. I would suggest going with a Mac, get Parrells and buy a version of XP for dual boot.

If he is going to just surf the internet and not preform any heavy tasks, I would still go with the Mac. The built in software that comes with OS X is far superior to anything Windows can put out there. iMovie and shit, it's really not that bad. I have version of Final Cut Pro on an old G4 and was completing a short film, my house got struck by lightning fried the machine while rendering no shit. I didn't have a back up of the disk available of Final Cut, so I edited the whole thing in iMovie. After editing I was driving to the site while rendering on the laptop, no shit....

Stories like that would never happen with people using a Windows or Linux machine.

My biggest gripe with Vista is driver support.

I have a fair amopunt of pro audio hardware that STILL doesn't work.

Plus I finally just turned off administrator control.

It still seems a little less stable and I reboot more often.

I HAVE two more g of ram that isn't inside since I haven't put on Vista 64.

Hopefully 7 is 64.........

WSS

Hey Steve you use Pro Tools? I got the Mbox Pro and within an hour I was recording with my MacBook. Get a Mac. Even a dual processor mini mac would be better then Vista. I am not one of those Mac Homers either, I get the marketing, I get it. But out of the box, 99/100 times a Mac works. I guess I'm lazy like that.

THANKS, K.

I don't know what Parrels is... "doi"...

but my friend isn't a power user, and I've spent more than a few long phone calls to and from Texas

when he's got different things botched up.

At one point, he tried to use MS backup, and lost everything when his Windows crashed.

I couldn't help him out of that mess.

I'll recommend the Mac. Life will be easier for him. And me.

Thanks for the education !

(and Steve - you aren't that far away - I'd be glad to come over and help with setting up your computer

for pro music - I'd botch it up so bad, you'd have to buy a MAC. LOL)

Hey Steve you use Pro Tools? I got the Mbox Pro and within an hour I was recording with my MacBook. Get a Mac. Even a dual processor mini mac would be better then Vista. I am not one of those Mac Homers either, I get the marketing, I get it. But out of the box, 99/100 times a Mac works. I guess I'm lazy like that.

No, actually I've been a Sonar P user forever.

Well as far back as Cakewalk 3. <_<

I don't doubt that Pro Tools is a great program but I don't figure I need to start over.

I'm sure DP and Cubase work well too.

The hardware that won't work is a Presonus V Fire.

I love mixing on the Roland 2480.

That's life I guess.

WSS

No, actually I've been a Sonar P user forever.

Well as far back as Cakewalk 3. <_<

I don't doubt that Pro Tools is a great program but I don't figure I need to start over.

I'm sure DP and Cubase work well too.

The hardware that won't work is a Presonus V Fire.

I love mixing on the Roland 2480.

That's life I guess.

WSS

Cakewalk is good. But one of these days you gots to try Pro Tools. Come on if Dr. Dre uses it is gots to be good, jk.

That is just not true. You have to test on all platforms. The market share is increasing for Mac. I test on all platforms in many of browsers.

Cal, you really need to have both platforms nowadays. I could tell you all this shit about how Mac's are better, they really are, but the real truth is you need both platforms. I would suggest going with a Mac, get Parrells and buy a version of XP for dual boot.

If he is going to just surf the internet and not preform any heavy tasks, I would still go with the Mac. The built in software that comes with OS X is far superior to anything Windows can put out there. iMovie and shit, it's really not that bad. I have version of Final Cut Pro on an old G4 and was completing a short film, my house got struck by lightning fried the machine while rendering no shit. I didn't have a back up of the disk available of Final Cut, so I edited the whole thing in iMovie. After editing I was driving to the site while rendering on the laptop, no shit....

Stories like that would never happen with people using a Windows or Linux machine.

Kosar I dont know why a system like the MLS which all realtors use was not tested or optimized for Navigator.... Normally MOST competent web software developers make sure all platforms resolve correctly.....

However this is not the first time we have come across Navigator incompatibility, Its not necessarily a consistent problem BUT there are those who for what ever reason take shortcuts.

I have to disagree but it is just an opinion, I dont think either world in terms of hardware is superior toward each other.

I dont think sub 10% of all systems is really anything in terms of market share http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9054798

I truly believe that is the reason why Mac can create without any limitation end user functionality, they dont have to worry like IBM clone systems because no one is really bothering them.

Some of these HP/Dell laptops at 600.00 are amazing in terms of power and functionality/memory/remote support etc that honestly the closest macbook (in terms of price) cant match...

Either way we will see how windows 7 performs and IF mac has an answering salvo... Legacy when we tested 7 the rescource management was half of what Vista currently uses. That of course could go up or down, rumour was it might end at 30% of what Vista required... I will believe it when I see it.

Archived