THE BROWNS BOARD

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

MLD Woody

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10-0 against non-con this week. Includes a 67-0 shutout and an unranked win against a ranked team on the road.

ACC 7-3 including one G5 loss.

B1G 9-4 including two G5 losses.

Big 12 4-4* with 1 game outstanding and they're losing. Includes two ranked losses to unranked teams (one G5) and an additional loss to a G5 school.

PAC 5-0 with 5 games outstanding and they're down in 3 of them, all G5 schools.

*Should be 5-3 given OSU officiating flub.

I'm not on the "B1G TEN IS THE BEST CONFERENCE WOOO!" dick riding train. We get it, "The South Will Rise Again" and blah blah blah.

Fans of SEC teams are notorious for being SEC fans (which really just means Bama fan). It is annoying and pathetic. Be a fan of your own team, don't live through Bama's success. I will take the time to shoot holes through any SEC fan overhyping their conference. But I'll never do it for the B1G. I am a Michigan fan. Not a B1G fan.

You don't "get" anything, since I've never said that. Do you just live in your own fantasy world? We're glad you're annoyed. We're also fans of our own teams. Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole. And yes, as long as you talk trash about the SEC, you will hear an equal amount about the Big 10. Don't be mad you had to cancel the SEC's funeral you planned after week 1.

You don't "get" anything, since I've never said that. Do you just live in your own fantasy world? We're glad you're annoyed. We're also fans of our own teams. Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole. And yes, as long as you talk trash about the SEC, you will hear an equal amount about the Big 10. Don't be mad you had to cancel the SEC's funeral you planned after week 1.

The Big 10 has developed a rule that the schools will no longer be allowed to schedule games against non FBS teams. Any of those games that were scheduled previous to the rule being instituted were grandfathered in and are allowed to be played. That is why you see Howard and Illinois St. on the schedule....but those games will end for the Big Ten. Not so for the SEC. They will want to continue to schedule their cupcakes. Also, the Big Ten will begin scheduling 9 league games. I believe the SEC still only schedules 8.

If the SEC wants to be considered the best conference, it will have to adopt a similar rule.

As for best fans, I doubt that. Three of the top 5 schools in average attendance in the country are Big Ten schools.

But, here is another thing: more Big Ten fans live in areas where there are NFL teams to root for. Rutgers in NJ has Jets and Giants on their doorstep. Maryland is close to both Ravens and Redskins. Penn st....between Steelers and Eagles. Buckeyes between Browns/Bengals. Michigan/Mich St. have Lions, Indiana/Purdue have Colts. Illinois/Northwestern have Bears, Wisconsin has Packers, Minnesota has Vikings. Only Iowa and Nebraska are in a state with no NFL team. SEC has more states with no NFL: South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas. SEC has less NFL competition for fan support overall.

Schedule change rules are having a ripple effect across NCAA football from D-1A, D-1AA, DII especially with the real big "money games" for the small schools.

Used to be pretty much standard practice for big D-1A schools who want a tune up (cupcake) game to schedule D-1AA schools who want a big payday for their programs. These new rules are changing that for the better from a competition standpoint but hurting small school budgets and trying to fill schedules.

The D-1AA schools have to look harder to replace those better games. Some D-1AA schools are more reluctant to just schedule DII schools who in turn lose their "money games".

And yes if one major conference goes to 9 games the others will be compelled to follow.

The SEC is just Alabama. There is no funeral.

Why are you better fans?

I shit talk the SEC because so many people dick ride the SEC

Look at the average stadium.

Go ahead, but don't do this gay ass "I'm not a conference fan!!" trash when yours gets called out.

There was 100% a funeral after week 1. Everyone was positively giddy.

The Big 10 has developed a rule that the schools will no longer be allowed to schedule games against non FBS teams. Any of those games that were scheduled previous to the rule being instituted were grandfathered in and are allowed to be played. That is why you see Howard and Illinois St. on the schedule....but those games will end for the Big Ten. Not so for the SEC. They will want to continue to schedule their cupcakes. Also, the Big Ten will begin scheduling 9 league games. I believe the SEC still only schedules 8.

If the SEC wants to be considered the best conference, it will have to adopt a similar rule.

As for best fans, I doubt that. Three of the top 5 schools in average attendance in the country are Big Ten schools.

But, here is another thing: more Big Ten fans live in areas where there are NFL teams to root for. Rutgers in NJ has Jets and Giants on their doorstep. Maryland is close to both Ravens and Redskins. Penn st....between Steelers and Eagles. Buckeyes between Browns/Bengals. Michigan/Mich St. have Lions, Indiana/Purdue have Colts. Illinois/Northwestern have Bears, Wisconsin has Packers, Minnesota has Vikings. Only Iowa and Nebraska are in a state with no NFL team. SEC has more states with no NFL: South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas. SEC has less NFL competition for fan support overall.

We look forward to not doing that and still proving we're the best conference every year.

Yep. 3 of the top 5. Then after that, a whole lot of nothing. It's a convenient ending spot.

There are many reasons for the better fandom of the college game down south. No real point in listing them all.

Look at the average stadium.

Go ahead, but don't do this gay ass "I'm not a conference fan!!" trash when yours gets called out.

There was 100% a funeral after week 1. Everyone was positively giddy.

Your better because if the stadiums?

I'll never start a BIG TEN IS THE BEST discussion.

We look forward to not doing that and still proving we're the best conference every year.

They will not be rewarded by the Playoff Committee. Strength of schedule is a big factor in who makes it. Scheduling games against FCS schools will detract from Strength of schedule. When it comes to making a choice between 2 possible choices....the one that has an FCS game on its schedule will lose out. Continue to schedule cupcakes and that conference will be seen in a lesser light......assuming everyone else adopts the same plan. (though I am not sure that they have...perhaps only Big Ten and Pac 10)

Yep. 3 of the top 5. Then after that, a whole lot of nothing. It's a convenient ending spot.

Actually, no, it isn't....Big Ten has 6 of the Top 20 (OSU/Mich/Penn St/Nebraska/Iowa/Wisconsin). SEC may have more, but, again, that is in states that have no NFL.

There are many reasons for the better fandom of the college game down south. No real point in listing them all.

Actually, there is a reason to list them....as no one knows those reasons apparently but you.

Yes, you have one dominant school....Alabama. And yes, they do lead in average attendance....somewhat.

(NOrthwestern's poorer attendance kind of brings the Big Ten overall average down somewhat)

Or, what....because you think they eat barbecue before a game that makes them better?

The Big 12's been there for four years. No one's been compelled to follow.

The Big Ten has followed. And actually, in checking, yes, so has the Pac 12.

So, actually of the P5 conferences, only the ACC and the SEC have not gone to 9 games..and the Big Ten has a policy of having at least one of their 3 non-conf game be against other P5 schools.....and the ACC is considering it:

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2016/8/17/12507882/unc-tar-heels-football-acc-schedule-conference

The article says that if they don't do a 9 game schedule then they may adopt an 8-2 rule. 8 conf. games, and 2 vs. other P5 schools.

So, if either rule applies, it would only be the SEC that would maintain its "load up on cupcake" policies.

At least for this year no SEC school has failed to schedule no other P5 opponents. In a couple of years in the past you had as many as a half dozen that scheduled nothing but cupcakes in non-conference game. But most still carry 3 cupcakes, including a number of FCS school.

No, they will have to change their way to continue to maintain respect as perhaps the best conf.

The Big 12's been there for four years. No one's been compelled to follow.

When it comes down to football final fours, top 25, bowl games they will tend to follow or risk getting edged out on close voting.

And there's that prestige thing among top conferences. ;)

On the fan base one thing hardly ever mentioned is the shift in population from North to South or West over the past 40 or 50+ years just check the census.

Even still a lot of older, deeper families still have loyalties in the older sports teams in all sports.

And many things in life are cyclical including teams and conferences but cook or cut the numbers however you want to make your argument look the strongest, happens all the time North or South.

Top cities in US Census (But what year? HINT: The BROWNS were in the NFL.)

1. NYC

2. CHICAGO

3. PHILADELPHIA

4. LA

5. DETROIT

6. BALTIMORE

7. CLEVELAND

8. ST LOUIS

9. WASHINGTON

10.BOSTON

and 14. HOUSTON 22. DALLAS 33. ATLANTA

Don't think population affects things like fan bases, it does.

Edit add, two other things aided the mass "remigration" back down South/West new jobs and AIR CONDITIONING!

They will not be rewarded by the Playoff Committee. Strength of schedule is a big factor in who makes it. Scheduling games against FCS schools will detract from Strength of schedule. When it comes to making a choice between 2 possible choices....the one that has an FCS game on its schedule will lose out. Continue to schedule cupcakes and that conference will be seen in a lesser light......assuming everyone else adopts the same plan. (though I am not sure that they have...perhaps only Big Ten and Pac 10)

Actually, no, it isn't....Big Ten has 6 of the Top 20 (OSU/Mich/Penn St/Nebraska/Iowa/Wisconsin). SEC may have more, but, again, that is in states that have no NFL.

Actually, there is a reason to list them....as no one knows those reasons apparently but you.

Yes, you have one dominant school....Alabama. And yes, they do lead in average attendance....somewhat.

(NOrthwestern's poorer attendance kind of brings the Big Ten overall average down somewhat)

Or, what....because you think they eat barbecue before a game that makes them better?

Yeah, the committee's gonna leave an undefeated or one-loss SEC team out of the playoff. Sure bud...

By the way, per this document, it's us that have 3 of the top 5 (and 6 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 17, and 13 of the top 29)...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf

But hey, 6 of the top 20 is cool!! Y'all would totally be better if it weren't for tricky Northwestern. Like we don't have Vandy.

I know the reasons why we have the best COLLEGE FOOTBALL fans. You listing the reasons doesn't make it any less true. So you have NFL teams. Great. Maybe yall's football lives are better because of it. Kudos to you guys if so. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we have the best college football fans.

Yeah, the committee's gonna leave an undefeated or one-loss SEC team out of the playoff. Sure bud...

Well, yes, they might. Let's say a one loss team from another conference has two wins over Non-conf. P5 opponents....and an SEC one loss team has no win over any other P5 opponent....but has wins over all those cupcakes. The committee would likely take the other team.

By the way, per this document, it's us that have 3 of the top 5 (and 6 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 17, and 13 of the top 29)...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf

This has varied from year to year. I think there have been some stadium enlargements in like Tenn. and Tex A&M that have put them over in the last year or two.

But hey, 6 of the top 20 is cool!! Y'all would totally be better if it weren't for tricky Northwestern. Like we don't have Vandy.

I didn't say you didn't have more....but your claim that the Big Ten had no more than 3 in the Top 20 was bogus.

I know the reasons why we have the best COLLEGE FOOTBALL fans. You listing the reasons doesn't make it any less true.

So? You know them but don't want to reveal them. What are you? Nixon, Trump....secret plans.

So you have NFL teams. Great. Maybe yall's football lives are better because of it.

It is....that is the point.

Kudos to you guys if so. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we have the best college football fans.

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? There is no "we". There are all individual schools.

If there were a "we" then the SEC would consist of one single school, one single team.

Well, yes, they might. Let's say a one loss team from another conference has two wins over Non-conf. P5 opponents....and an SEC one loss team has no win over any other P5 opponent....but has wins over all those cupcakes. The committee would likely take the other team.

Yeah, I doubt that, but ok.

This has varied from year to year. I think there have been some stadium enlargements in like Tenn. and Tex A&M that have put them over in the last year or two.

Tennessee's been over 100K for 20 years.

I didn't say you didn't have more....but your claim that the Big Ten had no more than 3 in the Top 20 was bogus.

Since I didn't make that claim, congrats I guess?

So? You know them but don't want to reveal them. What are you? Nixon, Trump....secret plans.

You're already revealing them for me. Not having many NFL teams down here is one reason.

It is....that is the point.

Congrats. We still have the best college teams.

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? There is no "we". There are all individual schools.

If there were a "we" then the SEC would consist of one single school, one single team.

The south has better college teams than any other region. I live in the south. Hence, "we."

The south has better college teams than any other region. I live in the south. Hence, "we."

You live in Texas, that is not the south, that is considered the southwest or west. There is a difference. Just because you are in the Southeast Conference doesn't make you south.

Here is how census demographics break down the country in terms of 5 regions:

Northeast: Maine, NH, Vermont, RI, Mass, Conn. NY, Penn., New Jersey Delaware, Maryland, West Va.

Midwest: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, North Dak, South Dak. Nebraska, Kansas

Southeast: Virginia, NC, SC, Ga, Florida, KY, Tenn. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas

Northwest: Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon

Southwest: Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California

Archived