THE BROWNS BOARD

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

MLD Woody

That's the case Gipper. People seem to have made a huge deal about this this year when in the past not many folks cared. Not sure why. Personally, I very much appreciate the early conference games. I remember when the real CFB season basically didn't start until October because September non-cons were by and large a complete snooze fest.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know man, it's pretty strongly implied. Why would you want to lessen the risk of a bad OOC loss early in the year only for there to be an equal opportunity to get one late in the year? If anything, you'd rather have it early in the year.

If we stipulate that all 14 SEC teams schedule 4 cupcakes each every year, and they basically never lose those games, then that makes no sense. Whether you played all 4 in September or 3 in September and 1 later, you would still be beating all 4. Your ranking would still be "inflated," as you say. So let's say Auburn is ranked #5 and in reality they're a top 20-25 team (this is all hypothetical).

Scenario 1:

Week 1-cupcake 1 (still #5)

Week 2-cupcake 2 (still #5)

Week 3-cupcake 3 (still #5)

Week 4-cupcake 4 (still #5)

Week 5-#18 Mississippi State (who's also 4-0, beating 4 cupcakes), win (still #5)

Scenario 2:

Week 1-cupcake 1 (still #5)

Week 2-#18 Mississippi State, win (still #5)

Week 3-cupcake 2 (still #5)

Week 4-cupcake 3 (still #5)

Week 5-#10 LSU (also 4-0, beating 3 cupcakes plus #12 Florida), win (still #5)

The scenario is the exact same (obviously the #5 ranking will fluctuate some as surrounding teams win and lose and/or do either (un)convincingly). The placement of the cupcakes does nothing to contribute to inflated rankings if they're going to be wins regardless. The ONLY reason they do it this way is to get more exciting television in September when the situation is ripe.

To be honest, Alabama has no business playing against 'Charlston Southern' whoever the fuck they are. 7 TDs in the first half says as much as you need to know about that. Or Louisiana-munroe, or any of those no-name schools. Same goes for basically every team that's trying to win the championship. They're basically exhibition games and are pointless.

Schedule games against competitive teams so that the 'objective' playoff rankings actually mean something and are based on something besides "well OSU only scored 8 TDs this week and Alabama scored 9, so we're swapping them round"

I think we saw Saturday that the chances of losing that OOC game are not at all mitigated by it being later in the year.

Well, sure, when your out of conference game is a cupcake.

The thing is though.....Alabama, unlike Florida with FSU, Georgia with Ga. Tech. South Carolina with Clemson, Kentucky with Louisville and maybe a couple of others, do not have a mandated game against an in state rival.

Their instate rival is in their conference, that situation allows them basically to schedule another OOC cupcake.

TAMU bugged out of their big in state rival game....though it would be nice to see the TU-TAMU game again on Thanksgiving weekend, which used to be a big tradition.

To be honest, Alabama has no business playing against 'Charlston Southern' whoever the fuck they are. 7 TDs in the first half says as much as you need to know about that. Or Louisiana-munroe, or any of those no-name schools. Same goes for basically every team that's trying to win the championship. They're basically exhibition games and are pointless.

Schedule games against competitive teams so that the 'objective' playoff rankings actually mean something and are based on something besides "well OSU only scored 8 TDs this week and Alabama scored 9, so we're swapping them round"

Ohio State played Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and the mighty Rainbow Warriors of Hawaii 3 of the first 4 games, smh

The thing is though.....Alabama, unlike Florida with FSU, Georgia with Ga. Tech. South Carolina with Clemson, Kentucky with Louisville and maybe a couple of others, do not have a mandated game against an in state rival.

Auburn?? The yearly Iron Bowl?

Read literally the next line he typed up

I did make a mistake in that sentence.....I left something out. I meant to say "Unlike Florida, S. Caro. Georgia, KY......Alabama does not have a statute mandated game against an in state out of conference Power5 opponent.

Hopefully that clarifies what I meant to say.

For some states, their big in state rivals are part of their conference: Alabama/Auburn, Mississippi/Miss. St., Tennessee/Vandy

The Pac 10 in state rivals all also play Saturday: USC/UCLA Wash/WSU Ore/OSU, Ariz/ASU

It is rivalry week in the Big Ten too. Some are in state: Indiana/Purdue, Illinois/NW, out of state: Iowa/Nebraska....which I consider a pretty good natural rivalry. I am not sure but I think Wisc/Minn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another day of "Myth" dominance in 2015/16 bowls with the exception of my Gators who have been one dimensional since Will Grier torpedoed the season and Treon Harris sucked the life out of the team.....

How did the mighty Big fraud fare today?

Let's recap...

The SEC is 6-2 including a loss by my Gators whom should not have been in any bowl game after the loss of their DUMBASS QB Will Grier.. Tex A&M is the other loss and I'm still trying to figure out how that school isn't in the Big12 where it belongs

The Big Fraud,, err, 10 is 5-4 including a win over my Gators that should have bowed out of any bowl game..

So, we look at the playoffs.. Is there an SEC team involved in the Championship game? Why Yes.. Yes there is.. The hated fucking Alabama Crimson Tide.. :mad:

Is there a Big Fraud team involved? Well No.. No there isn't because your conference champion Michigan State Spartans got force-ably throated by the a fore mentioned hated Crimson Tide.. Geezus, did they even sniff a score? :blink:

Now, as expected the Butteye apologists are claiming they got fucked and should have been the rightful representatives of the Big fraud conference despite the fact that they didn't even win their side of the fraud conference because they lost at HOME to a backup QB.. Yeah, they got schlonged :lol:

7 of the last 9 national champs are SEC schools... The two NC championship game losers in that stretch were SEC schools..

So, even if Bama loses to Clemson.. that will mean the SEC has won 7 of the last 10.. And were the losers of the other three...

But hey, I think you twinks are on to something with this mythology bullshit here :lol::D

Archived