THE BROWNS BOARD

RRHOF Nominees

The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

Machine Head & Burn are 2 fantastic albums. Ritchie Blackmore is one of the best lead guitar guys ever. Like a few have mentioned, there doesn't seem to be consistent criteria for induction, but I can't understand why true "rock & roll" bands have to wait, and other acts that aren't "rock & roll" get in, like Joni Mitchell, Madonna for instance.

FWIW-Deep Purple & Golden Earring was the first rock concert at the Richfield Coliseum, I was there, it was awesome.

And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

Petula Clark

Link Wray

Chubby Checker

Carol King

Joan Baez

Peter Paul and Mary

Jan and Dean

Paul Revere and the Raiders

Dick Dale

Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

Dion Warwick

Gerry and the Pacemakers

The Moody Blues

Golden Earring

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

The Guess Who

Herman's Hermits

Patsy Cline

Sonny and Cher

The Turtles

The Spencer Davis Group

Jim Croce

The Monkees

Tommy James and the Shondell

Arlo Guthrie

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Harry Nilsson

The Move

Procul Harum

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Iron Butterfly

Jethro Tull

Steppenwolf

Quicksilver Messenger Service

The Carpenters

Grand Funk Railroad

Joe Cocker

John Denver

Johnny Winter

Meatloaf

Mott the Hoople

Slade

Three Dog Night

Warren Zevon

Argent

Badfinger

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

J. Geils Band

Jimmy Buffett

Todd Rundgren

Uriah Heep

Carly Simon

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Little Feat

Thin Lizzy

Wings

10cc

Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

Loggins and Messina

Peter Frampton

Roxy Music

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Barry Manilow

Barry White

The NY Dolls

Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

Bad Company

Judas Priest

Kansas

Journey

Ted Nugent

Boston

Luther Vandros

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

Devo

Eddie Money

Toto

The B-52s

Def Leppard

Iron Maiden

Pat Benatarr

Huey Lewis and the News

INXS

Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)...my personal favorite, but I never loved Ozzy's solo stuff

Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

>>Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.>>

FWIW, Gipper, Los Lobos is a KILLER band. No question about it. Also at the top of their game even though that definition goes higher and higher with each record.

Go see them - especially in a 'club' - and you will become a convert.

No question in my mind.

Awsome group of musicians.

No need to mention Santana and Los Lobos in the same sentence.

LOS LOBOS is worth whatever price of admission being charged.

>>Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.>>

FWIW, Gipper, Los Lobos is a KILLER band. No question about it. Also at the top of their game even though that definition goes higher and higher with each record.

Go see them - especially in a 'club' - and you will become a convert.

No question in my mind.

Awsome group of musicians.

No need to mention Santana and Los Lobos in the same sentence.

LOS LOBOS is worth whatever price of admission being charged.

I suspect that is true. All I am saying is that the general populace...including myself knows about them merely from their cover of La Bamba.

What else have they done that is generally noteworth?

I suspect that is true. All I am saying is that the general populace...including myself knows about them merely from their cover of La Bamba.

What else have they done that is generally noteworth?

Your question pertains to their music in the 'Billboard Top 100" or "Top Of The Pops" charts.

They do not get air play other than on College Radio Stations - the place where 'real' music is played these days.

My only point is you mentioned you are not familiar with them and, basically via Profiling, you linked them to Santana.

My recommendation is to go see them.

Whether they belong in the (mostly silly - IMHO) R&R HOF is another question all together.

To me being in the HOF isn't all that important.

Your question pertains to their music in the 'Billboard Top 100" or "Top Of The Pops" charts.

They do not get air play other than on College Radio Stations - the place where 'real' music is played these days.

My only point is you mentioned you are not familiar with them and, basically via Profiling, you linked them to Santana.

My recommendation is to go see them.

Whether they belong in the (mostly silly - IMHO) R&R HOF is another question all together.

To me being in the HOF isn't all that important.

Of course....since you say that taste is all that matters.....I might think they suck swamp water. I generally think that most Mexican/mariachi like music does.

Of course....since you say that taste is all that matters.....I might think they suck swamp water. I generally think that most Mexican/mariachi like music does.

Like I said, you are Racially Profiling.

No problem.. It IS all about personal taste. That's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla.

Obviously, you don't care. And I don't care that you don't care.

Seems like whenever somebody posts something you don't agree with, you start a pissing contest.

Sure you and Shep weren't separated at birth?

Like I said, you are Racially Profiling.

No, I don't much like Country Western Music either.....does that mean I am racially profiling against a genre performed mainly by White guys?

No problem.. It IS all about personal taste. That's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla.

Obviously, you don't care. And I don't care that you don't care.

Seems like whenever somebody posts something you don't agree with, you start a pissing contest.

Sure you and Shep weren't separated at birth?

I don't know if I don't care about Los Lobos, because, as I have said....except for the one hit they had I don't know their stuff. And I said if you have something good of theirs to show us, do so.

And, sorry, you started a pissing contest where you were the only contestant.

I dunno fellas, I'll admit I haven't been to the R&R HOF since pre 2005.. Maybe it's changed.. When I was there, the top 2 floors of the 4 floor pyramid were dedicated to Hip Hop and Rap.. Now if you want to call the place the "Music HOF" then I have a lesser problem with that.. I understand why they did it.. Revenue streams always stand supreme.. I don't consider Rap or Hip Hop music.. They are an art form to be sure. But they are about as close to a Rock n Roll music sub genre as NASCAR Drivers, Golfers, Billiard Players, Bowlers, Darters or Lawn Jart players are to being athletes...

Steve Miller Band, I over looked.. They deserve consideration.. Borderline..

Still, at the end of the day, the R&R HOF is a politically biased joke.. Just rename it the Music HOF..

• 1 month later...

Here are the nominees for the next class of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, together with my comments about my personal feelings toward their election, Bold being who I would put in.

Highlighted acts are the ones that got in yesterday:

Chic......Disco sucks and I never even heard of them until someone said they were up for election to the RRHOF. WTF did they ever do that I would have heard of?

Deep Purple.....they were more than just Smoke on the Water. Probably deserves induction.

Nine Inch Nails.....if Green Day makes it, so should these guys.....who I see as being Green Day equivalency.....punkish sorts. Besides, Reznor is a Cleveland guy. Give it to the homie.

N.W.A......if you aren't even allowed to say what their initials stand for, then why do they deserve a spot? But I guess considering what they contributed to Hip Hop they would get in. I, not being a rap enthusiast will have to defer to others to tell me if they are that big in the genre. I just know they are one of the biggest names in that theater.

The Smiths.....again...Who? I mean, honestly, I don't know them from The Simpsons. (either the clan headed by OJ or the one headed by Homer). You could say The Jones and that would make as much sense.

The Spinners. Old School R&B. OK, cool.

Yes......Yes!

The Cars......you would think in concept that this would be a band that I would be behind. Straight, classic R&R band. But, I never really cared for them.....so I am ambivalent about their induction

Cheap Trick. I like them well enough....but they are sort of the Vinny Testaverde/Drew Bledsoe of Rock. They were good.....but not really the best of the best imo.

Chicago. OK, not my particular taste.....but I acknowledge that they had a unique and innovative style that I could not quite get my head around. Was it jazz, pop, rock, fusion. Whatever it was, it was just alright by me. (wait....that is a Doobie brothers line). Alright does not mean I am excited...just alright. But they are one of the most enduring....and commercial acts ever.

The JBs. Which is James Brown's backup band. If they go in in the category of "sidemen", I am OK with it. If The Crickets can go in, and Elvis's backup band, I guess they can too.

Chaka Khan. Always like her....and her name. She can go.

Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.

Steve Miller Band. This group, to me, is like baby Chicago. A number of hits (not as many as Chicago), a long career (not as long as Chicago).....But I still see them as the Norm Snead, Mark Brunell, Steve DeBerg of Rock. Solid, but not close to the best going.

Janet Jackson. Why do I feel that she got where she is just based on her last name and sibling relationships? I know she did some good stuff. But then Terry Bradshaw had a brother that played QB...that doesn't mean his brother is HOF. Or would you compare her more to Eli Manning?

Not sure how many they are going to let in. I am letting in 8. I may be more generous than the RRHOF voters.

And where is Jethro Tull?

And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

Petula Clark

Link Wray

Chubby Checker

Absolutely YES. Like him or not The Twist was an Iconic song/dance for early R&R Americana.

Carol King

Joan Baez

Peter Paul and Mary

Jan and Dean

Paul Revere and the Raiders

Dick Dale

Of course.

Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

Dion Warwick

Gerry and the Pacemakers

The Moody Blues

Golden Earring

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

The Guess Who

Probably Yes

Herman's Hermits

Patsy Cline

Given the definition of R&R for this HOF, she is a no brainer YES

Sonny and Cher

The Turtles

The Spencer Davis Group

Jim Croce

The Monkees

YES YES YES. TV show. Pop at its best/worse

Tommy James and the Shondell

Arlo Guthrie

No way except Alice's Restaurant deserves to be in it. (PS I dont care for it.)

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Harry Nilsson

The Move

Procul Harum

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Iron Butterfly

Jethro Tull

Yes

Steppenwolf

Yes. Crazy to be left out given the dearth of 'talent' already accepted.

Quicksilver Messenger Service

The Carpenters

Grand Funk Railroad

Joe Cocker

John Denver

Johnny Winter

Yes

Meatloaf

No but, IMHO, Paradise By The Dashboard Lights' best describes Teen angst and any other R&R song I ever heard.

Mott the Hoople

Slade

Three Dog Night

Yes

Warren Zevon

Argent

Badfinger

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

J. Geils Band

Jimmy Buffett

Todd Rundgren

Uriah Heep

Carly Simon

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Little Feat

No brainer Yes.

Thin Lizzy

Wings

10cc

Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

Loggins and Messina

Peter Frampton

Roxy Music

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Barry Manilow

Barry White

The NY Dolls

Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

Bad Company

Judas Priest

Kansas

Journey

Ted Nugent

Boston

Luther Vandros

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

Devo

Eddie Money

Toto

The B-52s

Def Leppard

Iron Maiden

Pat Benatarr

Huey Lewis and the News

INXS

Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

Hi brother John! Yes it's almost impossible to take this place seriously. The Hall of Fame that is. I mean I'm glad it's here but it really means jackshit.

WSS

Yes, R& R has taken on an evolving and amorphous shape.

However, IMHO, the name of the HOF has to remain R&R if Cleveland hopes to keep it from moving elsewhere over time. Cleveland owns the R&R name. If it were to be renamed, "Music Hall of Fame", for example, I could forsee the current building being empty x years down the road.

I have been there a couple of times. The best exhibit I remember is a 'kiosk' display of Jerry Garcia's guitars. Like him or not, the guitars were something special.

Generally, I'm not big on looking at most types of memorabilia - video and sound being an exception - music, sports, or otherwise. I've been to the Football HOF, Packers HOF, Basketball HOF (several times as it is just up the road), Baseball HOF and I really don't get a kick out of looking at sneakers, helmets, gold records, etc.

However the R&R HOF has to be a HUGE benefit to Cleveland in terms of publicity, tourist $$, etc.

Keep the name. Keep things in perspective. Keep on Keeping On.

I don't know of anyone who wants to change the name of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Of course I haven't read every word of this thread. I guess if anybody proposed it I would dismiss them as talking out their ass.

Like blues, soul, funk, jazz, classical or any other style of music there's a lot of leeway.

Plus it doesn't so much matter to me if I like the inductees or I don't like them. There are plenty of very influential acts I can't stand and plenty of not very influential act that I positively love. It does irk me when the selections are made on the basis of what the people in charge like, don't like or want to include for politically correct reasons.

I'm not sure that there is an adequate scoring system but...

And when you get right down to it rock and roll originally described the pop shuffle beat Bill Haley and the Comets, and rock music has evolved light years since then.

WSS

I don't know of anyone who wants to change the name of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Of course I haven't read every word of this thread. I guess if anybody proposed it I would dismiss them as talking out their ass.

Like blues, soul, funk, jazz, classical or any other style of music there's a lot of leeway.

Plus it doesn't so much matter to me if I like the inductees or I don't like them. There are plenty of very influential acts I can't stand and plenty of not very influential act that I positively love. It does irk me when the selections are made on the basis of what the people in charge like, don't like or want to include for politically correct reasons.

I'm not sure that there is an adequate scoring system but...

And when you get right down to it rock and roll originally described the pop shuffle beat Bill Haley and the Comets, and rock music has evolved light years since then.

WSS

The thought of renaming the R&H was my thought - nothing more than something to reflect the broad, broad brush used for inductees. Not something I thought would happen, but, more a reflection of its demographics.

Niggers With Attitudes, as an example.

Hip Hop HOF, for sure. Cultural HOF, maybe. Rock and Roll.....................

But like you, Steve, I don't care all that much except that I do get a kick out of inductees and those left out in the cold.

Archived