THE BROWNS BOARD

RRHOF Nominees

Here are the nominees for the next class of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, together with my comments about my personal feelings toward their election, Bold being who I would put in.

Chic......Disco sucks and I never even heard of them until someone said they were up for election to the RRHOF. WTF did they ever do that I would have heard of?

Deep Purple.....they were more than just Smoke on the Water. Probably deserves induction.

Nine Inch Nails.....if Green Day makes it, so should these guys.....who I see as being Green Day equivalency.....punkish sorts. Besides, Reznor is a Cleveland guy. Give it to the homie.

N.W.A......if you aren't even allowed to say what their initials stand for, then why do they deserve a spot? But I guess considering what they contributed to Hip Hop they would get in. I, not being a rap enthusiast will have to defer to others to tell me if they are that big in the genre. I just know they are one of the biggest names in that theater.

The Smiths.....again...Who? I mean, honestly, I don't know them from The Simpsons. (either the clan headed by OJ or the one headed by Homer). You could say The Jones and that would make as much sense.

The Spinners. Old School R&B. OK, cool.

Yes......Yes!

The Cars......you would think in concept that this would be a band that I would be behind. Straight, classic R&R band. But, I never really cared for them.....so I am ambivalent about their induction

Cheap Trick. I like them well enough....but they are sort of the Vinny Testaverde/Drew Bledsoe of Rock. They were good.....but not really the best of the best imo.

Chicago. OK, not my particular taste.....but I acknowledge that they had a unique and innovative style that I could not quite get my head around. Was it jazz, pop, rock, fusion. Whatever it was, it was just alright by me. (wait....that is a Doobie brothers line). Alright does not mean I am excited...just alright. But they are one of the most enduring....and commercial acts ever.

The JBs. Which is James Brown's backup band. If they go in in the category of "sidemen", I am OK with it. If The Crickets can go in, and Elvis's backup band, I guess they can too.

Chaka Khan. Always like her....and her name. She can go.

Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.

Steve Miller Band. This group, to me, is like baby Chicago. A number of hits (not as many as Chicago), a long career (not as long as Chicago).....But I still see them as the Norm Snead, Mark Brunell, Steve DeBerg of Rock. Solid, but not close to the best going.

Janet Jackson. Why do I feel that she got where she is just based on her last name and sibling relationships? I know she did some good stuff. But then Terry Bradshaw had a brother that played QB...that doesn't mean his brother is HOF. Or would you compare her more to Eli Manning?

Not sure how many they are going to let in. I am letting in 8. I may be more generous than the RRHOF voters.

And where is Jethro Tull?

Here are the nominees for the next class of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, together with my comments about my personal feelings toward their election, Bold being who I would put in.

Chic......Disco sucks and I never even heard of them until someone said they were up for election to the RRHOF. WTF did they ever do that I would have heard of?

freak out le chic? I don't know

Deep Purple.....they were more than just Smoke on the Water. Probably deserves induction.

Yeah they also did woman from tokyo. I'm hit or miss on whether they actually deserve a nomination

Nine Inch Nails.....if Green Day makes it, so should these guys.....who I see as being Green Day equivalency.....punkish sorts. Besides, Reznor is a Cleveland guy. Give it to the homie. he's Pennsylvania born but I think he's done enough to be in. Not punk at all more goth/industrial which is definitely it's own thing

N.W.A......if you aren't even allowed to say what their initials stand for, then why do they deserve a spot? But I guess considering what they contributed to Hip Hop they would get in. I, not being a rap enthusiast will have to defer to others to tell me if they are that big in the genre. I just know they are one of the biggest names in that theater. Yes they're hugely influential. But not rock and roll

The Smiths.....again...Who? I mean, honestly, I don't know them from The Simpsons. (either the clan headed by OJ or the one headed by Homer). You could say The Jones and that would make as much sense. Morrissey was in the smiths. They did that song "how soon is now" which you know. I wouldn't induct them personally especially as the smiths. Whether Morrissey deserves his own nomination is a different question. I still say no

meh

Yes......Yes!

all I can think of is "owner of a lonely heart". I'll defer on this one

The Cars......you would think in concept that this would be a band that I would be behind. Straight, classic R&R band. But, I never really cared for them.....so I am ambivalent about their induction

the most worthy of the nominations thus far in my opinion

Cheap Trick. I like them well enough....but they are sort of the Vinny Testaverde/Drew Bledsoe of Rock. They were good.....but not really the best of the best imo.

I would pass on cheap trick although "surrender" kicks ass

Chicago. OK, not my particular taste.....but I acknowledge that they had a unique and innovative style that I could not quite get my head around. Was it jazz, pop, rock, fusion. Whatever it was, it was just alright by me. (wait....that is a Doobie brothers line). Alright does not mean I am excited...just alright. But they are one of the most enduring....and commercial acts ever.

I'm with you. Not my cup if tea but I'd have to give them the nod. They've earned it.

The JBs. Which is James Brown's backup band. If they go in in the category of "sidemen", I am OK with it. If The Crickets can go in, and Elvis's backup band, I guess they can too.

not at all

I'll defer. Not familiar

Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.

not at all

Steve Miller Band. This group, to me, is like baby Chicago. A number of hits (not as many as Chicago), a long career (not as long as Chicago).....But I still see them as the Norm Snead, Mark Brunell, Steve DeBerg of Rock. Solid, but not close to the best going. I'd put steve miller in. If you listen to classic rock radio you'll hear at least five steve miller songs a day. That's the test of endurance

Janet Jackson. Why do I feel that she got where she is just based on her last name and sibling relationships? I know she did some good stuff. But then Terry Bradshaw had a brother that played QB...that doesn't mean his brother is HOF. Or would you compare her more to Eli Manning?

No. She's no michael. But she'll get in

Not sure how many they are going to let in. I am letting in 8. I may be more generous than the RRHOF voters.

And where is Jethro Tull?I'm not a fan

freak out le chic? I don't know

OK, what? One song? Then lets put Right Said Fred in there (I actually like their one song better)

Yeah they also did woman from tokyo. I'm hit or miss on whether they actually deserve a nomination

They also did a lot of heavy metal/progressive album work

Nine Inch Nails.....if Green Day makes it, so should these guys.....who I see as being Green Day equivalency.....punkish sorts. Besides, Reznor is a Cleveland guy. Give it to the homie. he's Pennsylvania born but I think he's done enough to be in. Not punk at all more goth/industrial which is definitely it's own thing

Bob Hope was born in England....that didn't make him English. As for it being got/industrial and not punk....I am not sure I personally could tell the difference.

N.W.A......if you aren't even allowed to say what their initials stand for, then why do they deserve a spot? But I guess considering what they contributed to Hip Hop they would get in. I, not being a rap enthusiast will have to defer to others to tell me if they are that big in the genre. I just know they are one of the biggest names in that theater. Yes they're hugely influential. But not rock and roll

No, but the RRHOF is definitely signing on to the rap genre

The Smiths.....again...Who? I mean, honestly, I don't know them from The Simpsons. (either the clan headed by OJ or the one headed by Homer). You could say The Jones and that would make as much sense. Morrissey was in the smiths. They did that song "how soon is now" which you know. I wouldn't induct them personally especially as the smiths. Whether Morrissey deserves his own nomination is a different question. I still say no

Yea, see when you say Morrisey....that doesn't ring much of a bell. I guess that is where I lost touch a bit.

meh

Yes......Yes!

all I can think of is "owner of a lonely heart". I'll defer on this one

Definitely much more than that. Again a top progressive album band more so than a hit maker.

the most worthy of the nominations thus far in my opinion

Dave Kreig, Boomer Esiason, Jim Everett for me.....a rung or two below being worthy imo....but you may be right.

I would pass on cheap trick although "surrender" kicks ass

Agree

I'm with you. Not my cup if tea but I'd have to give them the nod. They've earned it.

not at all

Well, they do have a specific category for this sort of thing. On their own as a primary act? Clearly not. In the "sidemen" category they have probably as much cred as anyone to be put in.

I'll defer. Not familiar

not at all

Steve Miller Band. This group, to me, is like baby Chicago. A number of hits (not as many as Chicago), a long career (not as long as Chicago).....But I still see them as the Norm Snead, Mark Brunell, Steve DeBerg of Rock. Solid, but not close to the best going. I'd put steve miller in. If you listen to classic rock radio you'll hear at least five steve miller songs a day. That's the test of endurance

True.....but I just think it would be pompitous to put them in. Fair to say? ;)

No. She's no michael. But she'll get in

And where is Jethro Tull?I'm not a fan

Well, they are in that grouping with Yes, Procul Harum, King Crimson, Todd Rundgren, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, Argent...and Deep Purple that the RRHOF has some prejudice against.

(but they will induct some soul singer who was a one or two hit wonder.....like Solomon Burke)

They did put Prog Rock bands Pink Floyd and Queen in.....because they couldn't keep them out.

Deep Purple.. The only valid inductee...Unless the name is changed to the Rock n Roll Hall of Mediocrity... Which after having been to the place,, I can only say,,,, It's a fucking joke... Who cares anymore.. It's a damn joke..

yea 8 picks? seems a bit too much for the official elections?

I like Yes and Deep Purple as the British Prog / Rock acts of the 70's

(70's -the dynasty of music)

I like The Spinners and lastly Chicago - especially the early years...

I am not sure how many they will officially let in. I don't know if this is like the PFHOF where they have a limit of between 4-7 that must go in.......or if it is like Baseball......however many get a certain percentage of the vote they all get in, be that -0- or ten or twelve.

The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

Dan Fouts IS a Hall of Famer, ergo, I guess you think Deep Purple must go in. So, it seems you convinced yourself... :o

Here are what RIAA or Billboard says are the 50 or so best selling musicalacts of All time.

Any act not color coded is in the HOF. I am going to color code those who are not in as follows:

Blue: apparently not consider "Rock n Roll" enough to be considered

Red: These are apparently considered C&W acts....not R&R acts

Green: Not yet eligible

Brownish: eligible but apparently not considered worthy....yet

The Beatles

Elvis

Michael Jackson

Madonna

Elton John

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Mariah Carey or Mariah Carey 2015 is her first year eligible...but she did not make the final list

Celine Dion or Celine Dion..same here, 2015 first year eligible...not on final list

ACDC

Whitney Houston or Whitney Houston. Eligible since 2009

Queen

The Rolling Stones

ABBA

Rihanna....not eligible until 2027

Taylor Swift...not eligible until 2031

Eminem...not eligible until 2021

Garth Brooks

The Eagles

U2

Billy Joel

Phil Collins...in as a member of Genesis, but not on his own

Aerosmith

Frank Sinatra

Barbara Streisand

Genesis

Neil Diamond

Kanye West not eligible until 2028

Bruce Springsteen

The Bee Gees

Julio Iglesias

Dire Straits...they have been eligible since 2003

George Strait

Metallica

Van Halen

Kenny Rogers

Fleetwood Mac

Kenny G

Shania Twain

Journey...beginning in 1970s...been eligible a long time

Alabama

2 Pac Shakur...he will become eligible next year.

Reba McIntyre

Prince

Simon & Garfunkel

Chicago....long eligible, one of this year's finalists....many think they will make it

Rod Stewart

Foreigner....long eligible. Not likely to make it

Tim McGraw

Bob Dylan

The Backstreet Boys....if the Monkees can't make it, these guys never should when eligible in 2020

Britney Spears....not likely when she becomes eligible.

Def Leppard

Willie Nelson

First time eligibles coming up:

2016: 2 Pac, Pearl Jam, The Cranberries

2017: Beck, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, Hootie and the Blowfish, Insane Clown Posse, Mary J. Blige, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots

2018: Blink 182, Coolio, Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Liz Phair, Kenny Chesney, Cheryl Crow

2019: Bone/Thugs and Harmony, Fugees, Jeff Buckley, Marilyn Manson, Notorious B.I.G., Oasis, Outkast

2020: Backstreet Boys, Foo Fighters, Garbage, Jay-Z, Jewell, Mushroomhead, 3-6 Mafia, The Presidents of the United States of America

Those of you are more familiar than I can pipe in with your opinions on who amongst these groups warrant inclusion.

I guess I was thinking of another post you made. Still I don't get the love for deep purple. The two hits they do have aren't all that good. The norm snead of rock then.

If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.

Is that what you want?

I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.

If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.

Is that what you want?

I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.

Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.

Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.

And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

Petula Clark

Link Wray

Chubby Checker

Carol King

Joan Baez

Peter Paul and Mary

Jan and Dean

Paul Revere and the Raiders

Dick Dale

Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

Dion Warwick

Gerry and the Pacemakers

The Moody Blues

Golden Earring

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

The Guess Who

Herman's Hermits

Patsy Cline

Sonny and Cher

The Turtles

The Spencer Davis Group

Jim Croce

The Monkees

Tommy James and the Shondell

Arlo Guthrie

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Harry Nilsson

The Move

Procul Harum

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Iron Butterfly

Jethro Tull

Steppenwolf

Quicksilver Messenger Service

The Carpenters

Grand Funk Railroad

Joe Cocker

John Denver

Johnny Winter

Meatloaf

Mott the Hoople

Slade

Three Dog Night

Warren Zevon

Argent

Badfinger

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

J. Geils Band

Jimmy Buffett

Todd Rundgren

Uriah Heep

Carly Simon

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Little Feat

Thin Lizzy

Wings

10cc

Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

Loggins and Messina

Peter Frampton

Roxy Music

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Barry Manilow

Barry White

The NY Dolls

Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

Bad Company

Judas Priest

Kansas

Journey

Ted Nugent

Boston

Luther Vandros

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

Devo

Eddie Money

Toto

The B-52s

Def Leppard

Iron Maiden

Pat Benatarr

Huey Lewis and the News

INXS

Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.

Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.

My criteria is whatever the hell it is that I personally like. I don't know that you can say there is any criteria. And I think that you are under the misimpression that I am all heavily in favor of DP getting in. I am not. I am only saying that amongst the acts that are finalists, they could deserve as much as any, I suppose. But there are a ton of other acts that I would rather see in....but they are not being considered.

And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

Petula Clark

Link Wray

Chubby Checker

Carol King

Joan Baez

Peter Paul and Mary

Jan and Dean

Paul Revere and the Raiders

Dick Dale

Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

Dion Warwick

Gerry and the Pacemakers

The Moody Blues

Golden Earring

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

The Guess Who

Herman's Hermits

Patsy Cline

Sonny and Cher

The Turtles

The Spencer Davis Group

Jim Croce

The Monkees

Tommy James and the Shondell

Arlo Guthrie

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Harry Nilsson

The Move

Procul Harum

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Iron Butterfly

Jethro Tull

Steppenwolf

Quicksilver Messenger Service

The Carpenters

Grand Funk Railroad

Joe Cocker

John Denver

Johnny Winter

Meatloaf

Mott the Hoople

Slade

Three Dog Night

Warren Zevon

Argent

Badfinger

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

J. Geils Band

Jimmy Buffett

Todd Rundgren

Uriah Heep

Carly Simon

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Little Feat

Thin Lizzy

Wings

10cc

Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

Loggins and Messina

Peter Frampton

Roxy Music

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Barry Manilow

Barry White

The NY Dolls

Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

Bad Company

Judas Priest

Kansas

Journey

Ted Nugent

Boston

Luther Vandros

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

Devo

Eddie Money

Toto

The B-52s

Def Leppard

Iron Maiden

Pat Benatarr

Huey Lewis and the News

INXS

Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.

Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.

And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.

WSS

Well, it is pretty clear that they don't think that certain well selling female singers are to get in: Streisand, Whitney, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Carol King.

But, they put Johnny Cash in but not Frank Sinatra.

There are a few seemingly country guys in....but most are not.

So....as we said....there is no criteria.

I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.

No, there are some that I personally think should go in.

But its like: if they let X in, they should let Y in.....because Y is as good as X and maybe even sold more records.

So, no there is no criteria.

The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

Deep Purple? Meh... "Smoke..." was cool for about 10 listenings. "Hush" was earlier and better.

The Cars simply have not endured.

Chicago, I could see getting in. In the beginning they brought a revolutionary return of horns to rock... along with Blood, Sweet and Tears. Plus Chicago headlined the first concert I ever saw... Blues Image opened.

Miller's early, blues-based stuff... while Boz Scaggs was with the band was great. I love their LP "Sailor" which includes my all-time SMB track, Livin' In the USA. Enough to get them in? Maybe... but there was a lot of schlock that followed.

Funny thing is when Steve wanted to turn "more commercial" with "The Joker" type stuff, Boz left only to ultimately go more commercial with "Silk Degrees". But before he did he did he put out a four good to very good, blues-based LPs kicked off by his best, IMO, Boz. It was recorded at Atlantic's, legendary Muscle Shoals studio with many of its session players in attendance. It includes a breathtaking 12-1/2 minute jam of "Loan Me a Dime" that includes Duane Allman.

Archived