THE BROWNS BOARD

You can't defend this circus anymore.

WalterWhite

Tressel is the president of Youngstown State, I believe. Both Pelini's coach there which is crazy.

What do you mean, you can't trust Saban? He's not going to come for two years and bolt for some other college job. He's 62. IF he took a job which there's about a 1% chance of happening, it would certainly be his last stop. That said, he is in phenomenal mental and physical shape for 62 so I doubt he has anything less than 4-5 years left in him, and even that is just the floor.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saban, Tressel, either Harbaugh would get our discipline & passion back but what is Mark Diantonio's deal at MSU? than bring C. Cook with him?

Marrone still on Bills payroll for like 7 mill. Than coaching D @ jags (more$$) Got to be rolling over that Rex knows D. Pettine gets the bad apple on the tree with O'neil & here we are.. If I was Marrone I would be doing cartwheels & backflips with jags cheerleaders (for the xtra millions) than get them a drank at the pool... Who's your daddy Rex?

I honestly can't defend this train wreck anymore. I have no clue what the solution is, but my god...this is just awful. It's difficult to put the blame on Pettine for this one because he doesn't fumble the ball, but I guess he has to be somewhat responsible for all of the penalties. And the thing is, what could Manziel do differently? Yeah he's more mobile, but he fumbles as much as anyone, right? Wouldn't he just get baptised by this amazing defensive front of the Rams? He doesn't have the patience to stay in the pocket, so would he have gone 26-32 for 270 yards? I guess the one argument is that Johnny goes for the kill, but I'm not so sure he would've done any better. I have no answers.

What the fuck happened:

• constant shuffling of defensive players, no continuity
  • somehow our "blue chip" offensive line filled with #1 & #2 picks cannot run block
  • ridiculous amount of penalties
  • inability to win at home
  • poor drafting
  • can't stop anybody last 2 minutes of the half or 4th quarter

I'm sure there's more....it's almost impossible to be this bad for so long, and I was truly optimistic about this season.

i understand, but when we were 7-4 last yr , we were running the ball, playing decent d, etc. etc. I think maybe the hoyer vs manziel thing may have contributed to the bad turnaround. We lost mack and the running game went down the tubes. Now mack looks like the worse olineman out of all of them, and thats bad because the others suck big time. I guess thomas is playing ok. I look at the poor drafting you said and 1 you missed. Poor fa pickups...hartline and bowe. wtf. Guess it points to our gm and probably the owner.

i understand, but when we were 7-4 last yr , we were running the ball, playing decent d, etc. etc. I think maybe the hoyer vs manziel thing may have contributed to the bad turnaround. We lost mack and the running game went down the tubes. Now mack looks like the worse olineman out of all of them (1), and thats bad because the others suck big time (2). I guess thomas is playing ok. I look at the poor drafting you said and 1 you missed. Poor fa pickups...hartline and bowe. wtf. Guess it points to our gm and probably the owner.

On (1) that's correct.

But (2) is incorrect, Schwartz is probably having his best year ever while BItonio has improved over his solid rookie year - Greco is pretty solid too.The rams D-line is one of the best in the business and we did OK I think. The 4 fumbles and excessive penalties are the biggest reasons we couldn't move on offense.

Still think that is a bit overrated. Not that passion doesn't play a roll but the guys who fly around like their hair is on fire make mistakes. You'll hear the good ones talking about the game slowing down and watching things in slow motion. Still think it all comes down to doing your job albeit with some attitude.

i'll give you and example where you may be wrong. Look at the falcons. This is the same team basically as last yr. Last yr under smith and previous yrs under smith, they did not play with passion. guys just standing around on the field...Look at what quinn has done to this team. I watch them now and the defense now swarms to the ball. Players are flying around everywhere....You know what i'm talking about. Are they going to the sb this yr? Probably not, however quinn will get the remaining pieces to make this team a sb bound team. i have no doubt. I look at quinn on the sidelines jumping up and down, and then i look at pettine rubbing his chin and looking totally hapless. There is a diffence there.

What do you mean, you can't trust Saban?

I mean you can't trust him.

He bailed on LSU when it started to get hard there. He bailed on the Dolphins because it was hard there. If he left BAMA now, just as the luster begins fading, then the pattern of not facing adversity would be perpetuated.

Does not sound like the perfect Browns HC candidate to me...

How did it get hard at LSU? He did the equivalent of win a Super Bowl then follow it up by going 12-4.

Miami was likely going to fire him, he just got out ahead. That's what smart people do. He's also got the best agent in the business (save maybe Dwayne Bowe's) in Jimmy Sexton.

He's got a top 5 squad and 5 straight #1 recruiting classes. That's the most blinding fading luster I've ever seen.

Oh, and if he wins us a Super Bowl, goes 0-16 the following year, then retires, he'll still have been the perfect candidate.

On (1) that's correct.

But (2) is incorrect, Schwartz is probably having his best year ever while BItonio has improved over his solid rookie year - Greco is pretty solid too.The rams D-line is one of the best in the business and we did OK I think. The 4 fumbles and excessive penalties are the biggest reasons we couldn't move on offense.

i guess so but we can't keep having the mindset that we did ok against good defensive lines. We need to change that culture to our ol is better than the opposing dl regardless how good they are or we will still be in the same situation. If these guys are playing ok, why can't we run the damn ball...Is it the rb's.I know they are not great but still very good olines will open some holes for backs to get thru. i am still in the camp that our ol is not very good wether its individuals or playing as a unit.

On (1) that's correct.

The excessive penalties goes against the oline though. I guess that's the mental part which counts as much as the physical part. I think though that is a coaching issue more than anything...oh well...It's tough trying to pinpoint what issue is causing the crash..there are so many of them...

How did it get hard at LSU? He did the equivalent of win a Super Bowl then follow it up by going 12-4.

Miami was likely going to fire him, he just got out ahead. That's what smart people do. He's also got the best agent in the business (save maybe Dwayne Bowe's) in Jimmy Sexton.

He's got a top 5 squad and 5 straight #1 recruiting classes. That's the most blinding fading luster I've ever seen.

Oh, and if he wins us a Super Bowl, goes 0-16 the following year, then retires, he'll still have been the perfect candidate.

Compared to undefeated or once defeated national championships, two-loss seasons are hard. Barring a miracle, 2015 will be the first year Bama has not been ranked #1 at some point in the season. After 7 years of achieving that ranking, that's an early sign of fading.

By contrast his final 9-3 season at LSU ending in a bowl loss had to be torture.

Ask any LSU fan if he bailed on them...

Ask any Fins fan if he bailed on them... and follow up with how much they relish the SB he brought them.

As for his age... you yourself said he's a young 62. Plenty of time for a couple more job hops. Look at what Spurrier has done in his 60's...

There are lots of folks saying we need more fire and more of pretty much everything else from a new coach, but who can fill that need? Someone from college? Coordinators who weren't head coaches at any level are a gamble I really don't want to take anymore. Same with the old ex coaches who have already shot their wad. There's a head coach somewhere in college who want to come to the NFL, so go out and find the guy and give him whatever $$$ and whatever responsibilities he wants.

The excessive penalties goes against the oline though. I guess that's the mental part which counts as much as the physical part. I think though that is a coaching issue more than anything...oh well...It's tough trying to pinpoint what issue is causing the crash..there are so many of them...

Some of the holding calls were unjustified - we definitely had more false starts than any other game this year though.

Pettine isn't getting fired. Saban isn't coming to Cleveland. We're still going to win 8 games. O'Neil will be fired. Manziel will be our QB. We will take a DE/LB in the first round of next year's draft.

Calm the fuck down, it was our worst game of the year but it's not the end of the world. Manziel will start next week if McCown can't, he'll probably throw for about 275 yards and two touchdowns, may throw an interception but will more likely fumble at least once, and we'll put together another relatively strong offensive performance but ultimately lose because of our defense.

Then we'll fire O'Neil.

Pettine isn't getting fired. Saban isn't coming to Cleveland. We're still going to win 8 games. O'Neil will be fired. Manziel will be our QB. We will take a DE/LB in the first round of next year's draft.

Calm the fuck down, it was our worst game of the year but it's not the end of the world. Manziel will start next week if McCown can't, he'll probably throw for about 275 yards and two touchdowns, may throw an interception but will more likely fumble at least once, and we'll put together another relatively strong offensive performance but ultimately lose because of our defense.

Then we'll fire O'Neil.

we are going to win 8 games....hmmmmmmm...good luck with that....lets see, arizona, seattle on the road...cinci 2x and pittsburgh 2x probably with ben back.The only way i see us winning maybe 5 games is if some of the teams we play toward the end of the season have either clinched and cannot improve on their playoff position. Then they will put their scrubs in and if we are lucky, maybe we eeeeek out a win or 2....

Some of the holding calls were unjustified - we definitely had more false starts than any other game this year though.

yeah, but some were justified...like the one on thomas when mccown completed that pass to benjamin or hawkins, can't remember..that was definetly a hold. he practically tackled the dude.

we are going to win 8 games....hmmmmmmm...good luck with that....lets see, arizona, seattle on the road...cinci 2x and pittsburgh 2x probably with ben back.The only way i see us winning maybe 5 games is if some of the teams we play toward the end of the season have either clinched and cannot improve on their playoff position. Then they will put their scrubs in and if we are lucky, maybe we eeeeek out a win or 2....

11/1 - Arizona - W

ARI is going to trounce Baltimore tonight, then overlook us going into their bye. We'll surprise with Manziel at the helm.

11/5 - Cincy - W

Beat Cincy a year ago on TNF with probably a worse team. Nothing changes here. Manziel is riding high after a great performance against Arizona.

11/15 - Steelers - W

We get 10 days off, Pittsburgh doesn't. Easy win.

11/30 - Ravens - W

It's Baltimore.

12/6 - Cincinnati - L

They crush the shit out of us.

12/13 - 49ers - W

SF is a bad team. Colin Kaepernick will throw three interceptions.

12/20 - Seattle - L

Cleveland's Christmas present to us. A loss.

12/27 - Kansas City - W

Fuck Andy Reid, that's why.

1/3 - Pittsburgh - L

Because we can't beat them twice.

We play Arizona the week before their bye. They're going to walk all over Baltimore tonight and then overlook us going into their bye.

Baltimore is very bad this year.

We will beat Pittsburgh going into our bye wee.

Nothing....absolutely nothing. Just look forward to us beating the Cardinals this Sunday;

Right on - Sounds good to me!

TCPO is high. We can't beat Oakland or San Diego but rattle off 4 straight against Arizona, Cincy, Pittsburgh and Baltimore....

Well isn't your boy Manziel likely going to get the start with McCown's shoulder injured?

So wait...you're telling me that Manziel can't win with this team? I could have sworn you were just saying the opposite only a few days ago.

Oh man, what a conundrum.

I mean you can't trust him.

He bailed on LSU when it started to get hard there. He bailed on the Dolphins because it was hard there. If he left BAMA now, just as the luster begins fading, then the pattern of not facing adversity would be perpetuated.

Does not sound like the perfect Browns HC candidate to me...

And he bailed out on Michigan State for a place named after it's Academic Standards: The Big Easy.

For all the ribbing the Big 10 took over the years about the competition (and rightfully so); Nick Saban never dominated the Big 10 when he coached there like he did the SEC. I'm far more impressed with Michigan State's program today than I was when Saban was there.

Not for nothing, but our former Offensive Line Coach (Kirk Ferentz) has a bunch of recruits out in the cornfields of Iowa playing undefeated football as recently as last week. I don't know if anyone remembers the last time we won a playoff game; but Ferentz's line put Leroy Hoard in the Pro Bowl that year. We ran the ball through some impressive fronts like Philly (Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons) and Dallas beating both teams. He's put some good linemen in the Pros like Eric Steinbach, Brian Bulaga, as well as TE Dallas Clark, Safety Bob Sanders. Chris Kirksey was a team Captain for him. The point is - Iowa isn't an ideal recruiting attraction and this guy wins despite it. I'm not sure if he'd want this gig here at his age; but he seems like a forgotten man who's very well respected which would come in handy when it's time to find Assistants.

The reality is Harbaugh wasn't interested in this place the last time he was an ideal HC Candidate. The more we keep firing Head Coaches every 1-2 years - the more the list of interested candidates shrinks down to the Uh-Oh Candidates. We've watched history repeat itself so many times that we know exactly where this is going. For example, Whisenhunt was one of the most interested candidates last time. He won something 1 of his last 8 games in Arizona before going 2-14 last year and 1-5 this year w/ TN.

Even worse, every time this happens - you know what goes viral around the league "you don't want to go to Cleveland." Not only does the recruiting of a decent/experienced Head Coach get tougher but so does recruiting the right kind of FAs.

Our biggest problem over the years has been the cumulative effect of bad drafting. Except for Travis Benjamin, our WR Corps is an absolute joke in a passing era. The little jockeys that are supposed to be so elusive never score TDs. I see more yuck than yac. And we try a bubble screen with that? Oh yeah, the alternative is to ask our QB to throw slant passes downward for little fellers. I like that they try hard and all but this is pro football.

I also read someone in a thread saying our coaches need to TEACH players how to tackle. If professionals don't know how to tackle - you're drafting the wrong guys; and the problem ain't coaching. You don't teach Dick Butkus, Lawrence Taylor or Ronnie Lott how to tackle. That's like drafting Greg Little thinking you can teach him how to catch a football. Is this youth football or pro football? Unfortunately, this is the franchise that kicked the work ethic of Julio Jones off it's doorstep, just so they could show us what they're really capable of in round 1. THAT's the shit that has to change before we head hunt the guy sentenced to playing gridiron chess with pawns.

Well isn't your boy Manziel likely going to get the start with McCown's shoulder injured?

So wait...you're telling me that Manziel can't win with this team? I could have sworn you were just saying the opposite only a few days ago.

Oh man, what a conundrum.

Not a Manziel fan, actually the opposite. I want him to play sooner rather than later so the team can finally move past the Johnny Football Era

Compared to undefeated or once defeated national championships, two-loss seasons are hard. Barring a miracle, 2015 will be the first year Bama has not been ranked #1 at some point in the season. After 7 years of achieving that ranking, that's an early sign of fading.

By contrast his final 9-3 season at LSU ending in a bowl loss had to be torture.

Ask any LSU fan if he bailed on them...

Ask any Fins fan if he bailed on them... and follow up with how much they relish the SB he brought them.

As for his age... you yourself said he's a young 62. Plenty of time for a couple more job hops. Look at what Spurrier has done in his 60's...

I specifically said he does not have a couple more job hops.

He was going to be fired in Miami. I don't care what their fans would tell me. That's a fact.

I also never denied LSU fans are pissed at him. But he did bring them a championship. He earned the right to do whatever he wants.

Archived