THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio State/Michigan State 1 and 2 in latest AP ranking

DieHardBrownsFan

The way they played, I wouldn't have voted for them. Who knows how they decided.

I'm not sure who else would be there though. MSU and Ole Miss were the others getting #1 votes - Ole Miss just knocked off Alabama in Alabama - more impressive than anything OSU have done. MSU beat Oregon, for what that's worth in a post-Mariota world. OSU...haven't played a ranked team?

Also how are OSU still number one? Is the assumption that Barrett is taking over at QB?

Rankings are a combination of expectations and performance. While Ohio State did not have its best game, most still believe they are the most talented team in the nation. As long as they do not lose....see Alabama/USC, they will maintain their position, though some other teams with perceived good performances may make up ground.

Hmmm... I would have voted for OleMiss based on resume.

No....Ole Miss played no one prior to Alabama.

Hell, on resume....maybe Northwestern should be highly ranked. Or MSU for sure.

OSU is a very good team that starts slow and has some QB issues to work out. They don't have the resume, but could still be the best team.

I don't know....NIU may be better than most other teams all of these guys have played. They are considered the best of their conference...and played OSU tight.

NIU would probably beat most P5 teams.

Either way, MSU vs OSU will take care of it.

I think you're inflating your win over NIU.

You also said Ole Miss hasn't beating anyone else impressive but Alabama. Key being "Alabama" here. At night. In Tuscaloosa. That's a very impressive win.

NIU could probably beat Michigan......in fact, didn't they do just that not long ago? You are underinflating how good of a team that might actually be.

And sure, yes, beating Alabama is big...but they beat them last year as well. And seriously....are you defending Ole Miss's non-con schedule. I mean...yea....it looks great on their resume to have beaten FCS (if that) Tennessee Martin.

NIU could probably beat Michigan......in fact, didn't they do just that not long ago? You are underinflating how good of a team that might actually be.

And sure, yes, beating Alabama is big...but they beat them last year as well. And seriously....are you defending Ole Miss's non-con schedule. I mean...yea....it looks great on their resume to have beaten FCS (if that) Tennessee Martin.

Wait, Ole Miss beating Alabama should count less because they've done it twice in a row? What kind of backwards logic is that? Unless you're saying Alabama are a schedule fluffer these days?

Wait, Ole Miss beating Alabama should count less because they've done it twice in a row? What kind of backwards logic is that? Unless you're saying Alabama are a schedule fluffer these days?

Woody is talking about "resumes". By that I believe it should mean: who has played the toughest schedule in college football to this point and come out ahead.

Yes, Alabama is a good win.....and all I am saying is that Bama may not in fact be quite the powerhouse they were just 2-3 years back. The proof is in the pudding: Bama usually did to Ole Miss what they did to the UL Monroes of this world. So, yes, Bama I think has retrenched a bit....while Ole Miss certainly has come up.......but I give Ole Miss NO credit for taking on the Tennessee Martins.

And I am saying that NIU could beat half the teams in the SEC.....sure the lower half (Vandy/KY/etc. ..and certainly Arkansas)

They have been that good the last several years.

I think they are, Gip. If you want a bold prediction from me here, Bama runs the table from here on out. 14-1. SEC champs, national champs. I hope we beat them but don't see it happening. When you give up 5 turnovers, 2 of them completely unforced, and give up 2 complete fluke plays and are still within striking distance at the end of the game against an elite team, you're a couple corrections away from being the best team in the country. Remember, Bama has not lost more than one regular season games in the last 4 seasons. Rumors of their demise are exaggerated IMO. It's been two years.

That said, there are rumors of a rift between Kiffin and Saban and that could derail things insofar as their defense would allow any sort of derailment.

Of course, they could lose to Georgia in two weeks and make me look like a fool.

I think they are, Gip. If you want a bold prediction from me here, Bama runs the table from here on out. 14-1. SEC champs, national champs. I hope we beat them but don't see it happening. When you give up 5 turnovers, 2 of them completely unforced, and give up 2 complete fluke plays and are still within striking distance at the end of the game against an elite team, you're a couple corrections away from being the best team in the country. Remember, Bama has not lost more than one regular season games in the last 4 seasons. Rumors of their demise are exaggerated IMO. It's been two years.

That said, there are rumors of a rift between Kiffin and Saban and that could derail things insofar as their defense would allow any sort of derailment.

Of course, they could lose to Georgia in two weeks and make me look like a fool.

Here is why it is possible that you are right: because the SEC overall seems weaker.

But honestly....it is not Georgia that should worry you but LSU. I think it probable that they are the best team in the SEC and one of the best in the country.

The LSU/Ole Miss game could be the game of the year in that conference.

LSU's QB has thrown for like 140 yards through two games. I will be interested if a good defense can sell out to stop Fournette, make Harris throw, and beat them. Also, they lost who is easily a top 5 DC in the offseason (gee, wonder where he went....) and replaced him with a complete scrub who was not even coordinating last season. Not to dismiss them as I definitely think they're a contender. Just think they lose 2.

This weekend we'll see if A&M is in a group with those top 3 or not. The line is scary-low for an opponent that just had two terrible losses.

LSU's QB has thrown for like 140 yards through two games. I will be interested if a good defense can sell out to stop Fournette, make Harris throw, and beat them. Also, they lost who is easily a top 5 DC in the offseason (gee, wonder where he went....) and replaced him with a complete scrub who was not even coordinating last season. Not to dismiss them as I definitely think they're a contender. Just think they lose 2.

This weekend we'll see if A&M is in a group with those top 3 or not. The line is scary-low for an opponent that just had two terrible losses.

Who does LSU play this weekend? Let me guess, does it rhyme with Florida A&M?

And no, I don't know where they DC went to. Let me guess: does it rhyme with Oklahoma A&M?

They play @ Syracuse and I am particularly looking forward to watching them go up to NY and curbstomp some Yankees. Not sure why. Also, next week I believe I'll be in Death Valley for their game against Eastern Michigan for my birthday.

We play Arkansas, not LSU, since LSU did not just have two losses, terrible or otherwise.

Yes, we stole LSU's DC in the offseason, and it was (and still is) glorious.

They play @ Syracuse and I am particularly looking forward to watching them go up to NY and curbstomp some Yankees. Not sure why.

That is kind of a stupid sentiment because: A. they are not your team so why the fuck should you care who wins and B. The rest of the world considers you a "Yankee"....so it is a self defeating premise.

Also, next week I believe I'll be in Death Valley for their game against Eastern Michigan for my birthday.

They also call Clemson Death Valley...don't they?

We play Arkansas, not LSU, since LSU did not just have two losses, terrible or otherwise.

Yes, Ark. sucks......if your school does not beat them.....then it is shameful......shame, shame, shame!!!

How glorious it is remains to be seen until you play them....doesn't it?

Why would the guy make at best a lateral move? Money?

Could care less what the rest of the world thinks.

Yes. Haven't been there but I doubt it's on par.

I agree.

LSU offered as much as we did. He either had beef with Les Miles or he got tired of developing elite defenses only to see their efforts squandered by terrible offenses. (Granted, given how our offense has looked, he may be having the same sentiment.)

They play @ Syracuse and I am particularly looking forward to watching them go up to NY and curbstomp some Yankees. Not sure why. Also, next week I believe I'll be in Death Valley for their game against Eastern Michigan for my birthday.

When ANY SEC school goes up north in OCT or NOV ...................OUTDOORS let us all know

When the calendar turns fall, the SEC stays below the mason dixon line

Could care less what the rest of the world thinks.

Its not what they think...its what you are.....a Yankee.

Yes. Haven't been there but I doubt it's on par.

Clemson and LSU....from my perspective they both seem pretty much on par. LSU, slight advantage, sure. LSU size wise is not bigger....holds 102K. Clemson holds 80K. Not that far off. Both have passionate fans.

But LSU has no other major state school that it competes with (kinda like OSU). Clemson has South Carolina.

I agree.

You almost had a shameful moment. You played them to a tie. tsk, tsk.

(yes....I hate the college OT system....it is THE most bogus thing in sports. As far as I am concerned, better to stay tie than to have an OT in that system. The Pros is much better. Any college game that goes to OT in my view is a tie game)

LSU offered as much as we did. He either had beef with Les Miles or he got tired of developing elite defenses only to see their efforts squandered by terrible offenses. (Granted, given how our offense has looked, he may be having the same sentiment.)

I suppose every time you mention football then, we shall take it you're referring to soccer....

102 and 80 is a massive difference. The rowdiness of LSU fans is unmatched. Go watch a video of LSU's band playing "Neck." A nice little song played by bands around the country. Only the entire nasty, Cajun, STD-ridden (no offense, edwardje) student section chants "suck that Tiger d**k, b**ch."

Kyle Field is consistently in the top 10 most intimidating places to play and I can say first hand it doesn't hold a candle to Tiger Stadium.

The college system is more enjoyable to me. However, I think the winning team should just have 1 point added to their total in regulation. Hate to see games that were truly 10-10 type of games that come out 38-35.

I suppose every time you mention football then, we shall take it you're referring to soccer....

102 and 80 is a massive difference. The rowdiness of LSU fans is unmatched. Go watch a video of LSU's band playing "Neck." A nice little song played by bands around the country. Only the entire nasty, Cajun, STD-ridden (no offense, edwardje) student section chants "suck that Tiger d**k, b**ch."

Yes, I made a faux pas about the size of the stadiums..

Kyle Field is consistently in the top 10 most intimidating places to play and I can say first hand it doesn't hold a candle to Tiger Stadium.

I think how intimidating a place is depends on how good the team is.....and how good the team they are playing is.

Sure....when LSU brings Samford and Louisiana Monroe in, they may be intimidated. Auburn/Alabama/Georgia aren't intimidated.

The college system is more enjoyable to me. However, I think the winning team should just have 1 point added to their total in regulation. Hate to see games that were truly 10-10 type of games that come out 38-35.

Precisely. The college system sucks because it is not real football.

Archived