THE BROWNS BOARD

U.S. already admits 250,000 Muslims into our country...a year.

calfoxwc

You would think that if posting an article from 2013 that was pending a hearing you would actually check the result:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/home-schooling-german-family-allowed-stay-us/story?id=22788876

Yea Supreme Court refused to hear the case. Must have been a terrible disappointment for the president. I understand the administration was probably worried that these people, devout Christians, might involve themselves in some terrorist act like putting up a nativity scene at Christmas or something even more heinous.

:)

WSS

Do we think home schooling is a good thing or a bad thing in general? I can see that if you hugely disagree with the syllabus you would like to be able to withdraw kids, but then I would struggle to see how you could disagree with a syllabus that strongly. Besides which, are there 'social skills' concerns? On the flip side, there's presumably reduced worry about getting involved in 'bad influences' that you might get at public schools.

Me personally? I think that even while there are probably some great success stories, at least one of which I'm aware of, I would think that the lack of social interaction would be a net negative.

There's no reason parents, if they have their s*** together, couldn't teach the kids as well as the public schools. That's a big if. Also I wouldn't be surprised that most instances revolve around the active public school hostility to faith. And sometime active support of liberalism. But it's a case by case basis and I'm assuming most of the negativity comes from teachers unions.

WSS

Not you specifically, but people here in general. I agree that most parents would make competent teachers, but then obviously that becomes the full time job, and assuming you want your kids to go to college or whatever at a normal age, you need to get them to that level at the right speed - meaning you can only teach one kid full time?

I also agree that as a society we are losing the art of social interaction, though not as much as is maybe being made out, we're just interacting in different ways. Kids that would 10 years ago have been in the same room playing video games together are now doing it over the internet, with the same level of 'banter' or whatever.

Public school hostility to faith? Such as?

I do agree with you that we are maybe just interacting in different ways but I venture that isn't necessarily positive. I'm sure you and I and everyone on this board would have a different opinion of each other had we seen each other a couple times a week at the pub rather than only spouting political ideology and nothing else.

As for the hostility toward face the only family I have met, the success story, is a family and a bluegrass players. They are really excellent and I met them playing a festival. Turns out there from the country not far from my original home in East Ohio. So I asked where they went to school and they said they were homeschooled. Two or three were old enough for college and both straight a students at Hillsdale. I don't doubt but the public school system would have sneered at and possibly even forbidden any mention of Jesus Christ in their studies.

I don't particularly want to hijack this thread into another woody vs god piece of s*** but if you are just learning your lessons I don't see the point in wasting school time on fighting over whether or not you are allowed to have a Christmas pageant or sing oh holy night.

And we do have pretty good rates of success with in the Catholic schools

WSS

That being said maybe the art of social interaction is becoming a lost art worldwide anyway and soon everyone will spend their whole lives in a cubicle with smart phones computers and video games. I'm not even being snotty about that, well not all that much.

WSS

Social interaction isn't disappearing. There are just new forms of it now. No, I wouldn't want a kid to only interact with people through video games, but uts not like there is no social interaction there.

Edit: It looks like similar points were made further down from this post

Some of the people I game with I mainatain communication with outside of our video game world. A few of them I've visited if I'm driving through their area. Video games are advanced enough to provide people with social interaction, but there is no substitute for face to face real life interaction. That is the only reason I will never home school my children. I know I could teach better than these twat teaching common core garbage.

I do agree with you that we are maybe just interacting in different ways but I venture that isn't necessarily positive. I'm sure you and I and everyone on this board would have a different opinion of each other had we seen each other a couple times a week at the pub rather than only spouting political ideology and nothing else.

Agree. There's far more to life than politics, I'm sure if/when I make it to a game, you, cal and the rest will have plenty of things to ask about the UK and europe that don't concern politics. In fact I look forward to it - hopefully in the next couple of years my schedule will link up favourably. I'm changing job to a company based in Toronto (I'm still based in London) and there's a decent chance I'll be spending time there, so hopefully I'll be able to pop down at some point.

As for the hostility toward face the only family I have met, the success story, is a family and a bluegrass players. They are really excellent and I met them playing a festival. Turns out there from the country not far from my original home in East Ohio. So I asked where they went to school and they said they were homeschooled. Two or three were old enough for college and both straight a students at Hillsdale. I don't doubt but the public school system would have sneered at and possibly even forbidden any mention of Jesus Christ in their studies.

I don't particularly want to hijack this thread into another woody vs god piece of s*** but if you are just learning your lessons I don't see the point in wasting school time on fighting over whether or not you are allowed to have a Christmas pageant or sing oh holy night.

Christmas pageant should be fine, no problems with that. If there's enough support for a passover pageant or an eid pageant, then sure, why not. But when religious doctrine starts being taught as fact, that's when I'll object.

And we do have pretty good rates of success with in the Catholic schools

Of turning girls in to sluts? ;)

WSS

I think it is easy to say "why make a big fuss over this Christian stuff anyway?" when you most closely relate with the Christian side. If a public school had students sing traditional Muslim songs, whatever that may be, people would be in an uproar. Swap Muslim for Christian and people will defend the right to do that and say its not a big deal.

You're better off just separating public schools and religion (outside of history) and leaving it at that. No need to play favorites.

I would raise the same concerns others have regarding the social aspect of being home schooled. There are a lot of lessons you'd gain going through the ups and downs that you wouldn't get at home.

And while some parents might make adequate teachers, what level could they go up to? How many parents could teach their kid calculus? Physics? Etc. These classes may not be thr norm across the board, but its still a very real deficiency.

I think it is easy to say "why make a big fuss over this Christian stuff anyway?" when you most closely relate with the Christian side. If a public school had students sing traditional Muslim songs, whatever that may be, people would be in an uproar. Swap Muslim for Christian and people will defend the right to do that and say its not a big deal.

You're better off just separating public schools and religion (outside of history) and leaving it at that. No need to play favorites.

Well duh everyone would be mad if American kids in American schools were forced to sing songs from a religion that (generally) hates America. This is the same religion that was used as grounds to slaughter thousands of Americans 14 years ago. I sure haven't forgotten.

Me personally, I would not be happy if a school made my kids sing Christian hymns. It is none of their business which religion my child does or does not practice. That shit belongs in private schools, which I have no problem with at all.

Well duh everyone would be mad if American kids in American schools were forced to sing songs from a religion that (generally) hates America. This is the same religion that was used as grounds to slaughter thousands of Americans 14 years ago. I sure haven't forgotten.

Me personally, I would not be happy if a school made my kids sing Christian hymns. It is none of their business which religion my child does or does not practice. That shit belongs in private schools, which I have no problem with at all.

Islam is always picked here as the alternative religion, because it's most prominent in the news. How about Hinduism? The rules are (I believe?) that no state organisation - including public schools - can favour one religion over another. As a consequence, there should be no religious indoctrination of any kind, regardless of whether it's christianity or islam or FSM.

When I attended Catholic school I was not Catholic. Nor was I an orphan which many of the kids at St Johns were.

Nobody ever tried to force non Catholics to participate in communion or anything else. Few different words in the Lord's Prayer. I don't remember being offended or outraged because in those days it wasn't the cool thing to do. Now it's an attention getting device.

WSS

Here are some 'grateful' Syrian/ISIS refugees throwing away food and water on train tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6sIl5whsg

And apparently giving food to refugees is equivalent to a 'Nazi' concentration camp (according to the BBC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuNAs7B2Lo

That would be in the country that has hastily erected razor-wire fences and made repeated declarations it won't accept any muslims? Gee, I wonder why they're not thrilled with the local hospitality.

Out of the million cliches I could use... I'll go with beggars can't be choosers.

Sure, they could respond better. But I understand why tempers are running high.

Again, stay on the train. Every country has the right to say no to illegal immigrants. Why don't these fuckface "refugees" go throw water and food at Turkey?

They're immigrants. Not refugees. Refugees don't refuse water.

Archived