THE BROWNS BOARD

O-H-I-O

wargograw

You seem to be replying to points I never made. Typical.

I'm not all over the board. You just like to make your replies independent of what I'm actually saying. It helps you feel like you're correct I suppose. Jones has a higher ceiling, sure. He's extremely raw, and would need to be coached up, but he has a higher ceiling than Barrett. In my original post I said Barrett looks like a better pure QB. Who Meyer chooses to play right now does not invalidate that statement. He also isn't picking QBs by pro potential. He is picking the QB that gives him the best chance to win.

Yes yes yes, you were being completely objective. Got it. Point being, when everything posted is "OSU is the greatest ever, and will win all of the Heismans!" it makes sense to throw a post in there that's a little more cynical but still is realistic. For example, for all we know Cardale could be the next Jamarcus Russell.

I enjoy how you are still yet to provide any name for someone that has compared Cardale to Big Ben. Not that I'm doubting it, not that I don't see some similarities, it is just funny you continue to refuse to support your point at all.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He reminds me of Vince Young. I'm not saying he's terrible, I'm just saying, does he have the mental game to be successful? Undoubtedly he's a great athlete, and could probably "do a braxton" and switch to another position - TE maybe? - but between the ears is where you want a QB to be great.

This from someone who has nothing between the ears......

You seem to be replying to points I never made. Typical.

I'm not all over the board. You just like to make your replies independent of what I'm actually saying.

Its because what you say makes no actual fucking sense sometimes....and I try to be cogent in what I say.

It helps you feel like you're correct I suppose. Jones has a higher ceiling, sure. He's extremely raw, and would need to be coached up, but he has a higher ceiling than Barrett. In my original post I said Barrett looks like a better pure QB. Who Meyer chooses to play right now does not invalidate that statement. He also isn't picking QBs by pro potential. He is picking the QB that gives him the best chance to win.

Except you also went on to say that you thought Barrett would be the better choice for Meyer to have chosen to start. So now you are lying to yourself about what you said.

Yes yes yes, you were being completely objective. Got it. Point being, when everything posted is "OSU is the greatest ever, and will win all of the Heismans!" it makes sense to throw a post in there that's a little more cynical but still is realistic. For example, for all we know Cardale could be the next Jamarcus Russell.

I enjoy how you are still yet to provide any name for someone that has compared Cardale to Big Ben. Not that I'm doubting it, not that I don't see some similarities, it is just funny you continue to refuse to support your point at all.

You want names....fine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ESPN_College_Football_personalities

Yes, I thought they would have started Barrett. I thought he gave them a better chance to win. Meyer obviously thought differently. Neither of those two statements say that Barrett isn't a better pure QB. My original point.

No, it wasn't. Again, you lie to yourself. You said they SHOULD have started Barrett....again presuming that you knew more than Meyer.

If there's a team besides MSU on OSU's schedule that you'd rank above one of the ranked SEC teams I'd love to hear why, Woody. Maybe I'll give Minnesota some love. Except that they got waxed in the bowl game by one of the lowest ranked SEC teams. I'd probably have Wisconsin ranked, personally. Past that, I see a case for no one.

I'm not commenting specifically about OSUs schedule. I'm just saying media bias in favor of the SEC, resulting in inflated ratings, which then get used as justification to keep other SEC teams highly rated, is nothing new. I know you're new to the conference, and that you've hopped on the coattails very quickly, but try not to go too overboard.

So you can't cite more than 2 teams from the Big 10 (3 with Wisconsin) better than the 10th best SEC team. Yet the rankings are a bunch of BS. Ok. At least you've shifted (predictably) to the whole coat tails thing, since your actual argument can not be proven by anything whatsoever.

So you can't cite more than 2 teams from the Big 10 (3 with Wisconsin) better than the 10th best SEC team. Yet the rankings are a bunch of BS. Ok. At least you've shifted (predictably) to the whole coat tails thing, since your actual argument can not be proven by anything whatsoever.

Neither can yours. Especially given the perceived inflation of rankings after the bowl season, mainly from the sec west.

8 years ago we heard the same thing about thr big ten and rankings the following season followed suit. Fast forward to now and the reverse is happening. Teams that were beaten in their bowl games by 'lesser' opponents start out highly ranked.

I remember hearing about A&M starting against a top 10 opponent and dark horse contender. 4 months later... Not so much.

Also since it must be said, Bucks plowed the best from two conferences with a backup QB en route to a title. If schedule talk is all anyone has, then they're going to need to come up with something better.

If there's a team besides MSU on OSU's schedule that you'd rank above one of the ranked SEC teams I'd love to hear why, Woody. Maybe I'll give Minnesota some love. Except that they got waxed in the bowl game by one of the lowest ranked SEC teams. I'd probably have Wisconsin ranked, personally. Past that, I see a case for no one.

Sorry, big circle jerk is all you have in the SEC.

Last year the SEC was like 1-6 vs. the ACC.....and had a losing record vs. the P-10....and I would have to check on the Big Ten.

The Big Ten has instituted a policy that in the future they will no longer schedule FCS schools, and that they will add another conference game...and that all schools must have one P5 non-conf. opponent.

The SEC has instituted no such rule. They will continue to play fewer conference games, and continue to load up on the creampuffs.

Its a joke......for being the supposed best conference, they sure are afraid of tough competition from without.

Let's look at Non-Conference scheduling. What I will do here is to list the games played by the teams in the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac12 against Power5 opponents, plus Notre Dame and BYU (which are independents considered the equivalent of P5 teams):

SEC:

Alabama vs. Wisconsin

Arkansas vs. Texas Tech

Auburn vs. Louisville

Florida vs. Fla. State

Georgia vs. Ga. Tech

Kentucky vs. Louisville

LSU vs. Syracuse

Ole Miss vs. NONE

Miss St. vs. NONE

Mizzouri vs. NONE

S. Carolina vs. North Carolina and Clemson

Tennessee vs. Oklahoma

Tex. A&M vs. Ariz. St.

Vandy vs. NONE

Big Ten

Indiana vs. Wake Forest

Maryland vs. West Virginia

Michigan vs. Utah and Oregon St. and BYU

Mich St. vs. Oregon

Ohio St. vs. Virginia Tech

Penn St. vs. NONE

Rutgers vs. Washington St. and Kansas

Illinois vs. North Carolina

Iowa vs. Iowa St. and Pitt

Minnesota vs. TCU

Nebraska vs. Miami Fla. and BYU

Purdue vs. Va. Tech

Wisconsin vs. Alabama

Pac12:

Cal vs. Texas

Oregon vs. Michigan St.

Oregon St. vs. Michigan

Stanford vs. Northwestern and Notre Dame

Washington vs. NONE

Wash. St. vs. Rutgers

Arizona vs. NONE

Ariz. St. vs. Texas A&M

Colorado vs. NONE

UCLA vs. Virginia and BYU

USC vs. NOtre Dame

Utah vs. Michigan

I may do the Big 12 and ACC in a bit.

But, lets face these facts:

A. The SEC has 4 teams that do not face a P5 non-conf. opponent, the Pac 12 has 3, the Big Ten has 1

B. The SEC has 1 team that faces two P5 non-conf. opponents, the Pac12 has 1, the Big Ten has 4....including one with 3 P5 opponents

C. The SEC scheduled 11 games vs. P5 non-conf. opponents, the Pac 12 scheduled 11, the Big Ten scheduled 16.

D. The SEC claim that "our conference schedules are so tough we need to schedule more creampuffs....is just that: puffery

Here are the other two P5 conferences:

ACC

Boston College vs. Notre Dame

Clemson vs. Notre Dame and South Carolina

Fla. St. vs. Florida

Louisville vs. Auburn and Kentucky

NC St. vs. NONE

Syracuse vs. LSU

Wake Forest vs. Indiana, Notre Dame

Duke vs. Northwestern

Ga. Tech vs. Notre Dame, Georgia

Miami vs. Nebraska

North Carolina vs. South Carolina and Illinois

Pitt vs. Iowa and Notre Dame

Virginia vs. UCLA and Notre Dame

Va. Tech vs. Ohio St. and Purdue

Note: Notre Dame not considered an official ACC team for football...but plays a lot of ACC teams

Big 12

Baylor vs. NONE

Iowa St. vs. Iowa

Kansas vs. Rutgers

Kan. St. vs. NONE

Oklahoma vs. Tennessee

OK St. vs. NONE

Texas vs. Notre Dame, Cal

TCU vs. Minnesota

Tex. Tech vs. Arkansas

West Va. vs. Maryland

So, including Notre Dame, the ACC schools play 21 P5 opponents. the Big 12 8 (14 schools vs. 10)

(15 if Notre Dame not included)

Again, including their games vs. ND, the ACC has 8 schools that play 2 P5 non-conf opponents. (3 schools if ND not included) The Big 12 just 1.

The ACC has only 1 team that plays no P5 opponents (2 if ND not included) the Big 12 has 3.

TUN does have the most daunting non-conf. schedule.....(what was their infatuation with the state of Utah?....where I will be going in about 3 weeks). Should beat Ore.St......lose to BYU, maybe.

Which is sad honestly. The fact that we have one of the toughest OOC schedules, is laughable. Utah and BYU are good teams, but come on.

But yeah, we should beat Oregon St. With BYU losing their QB we should be a favorite in that game now

Neither can yours. Especially given the perceived inflation of rankings after the bowl season, mainly from the sec west.

8 years ago we heard the same thing about thr big ten and rankings the following season followed suit. Fast forward to now and the reverse is happening. Teams that were beaten in their bowl games by 'lesser' opponents start out highly ranked.

I remember hearing about A&M starting against a top 10 opponent and dark horse contender. 4 months later... Not so much.

Also since it must be said, Bucks plowed the best from two conferences with a backup QB en route to a title. If schedule talk is all anyone has, then they're going to need to come up with something better.

No one's dogging the Bucks, least of all me, but their fans shouldn't be talking about other teams' easy scheduled.

People don't seem to realize this but the SEC had the second best bowl record. It's not like everyone got blown out in their bowls.

Oh and I can make an argument. An unranked SEC team beat a top 15 PAC 12 team at a neutral site. THIS year. That's an argument. There is none for the Big 10. And I'm not dogging the Big 10 per se either, but relative to their conference, the rankings are perfectly fine.

Sorry, big circle jerk is all you have in the SEC.

Last year the SEC was like 1-6 vs. the ACC.....and had a losing record vs. the P-10....and I would have to check on the Big Ten.

The Big Ten has instituted a policy that in the future they will no longer schedule FCS schools, and that they will add another conference game...and that all schools must have one P5 non-conf. opponent.

The SEC has instituted no such rule. They will continue to play fewer conference games, and continue to load up on the creampuffs.

Its a joke......for being the supposed best conference, they sure are afraid of tough competition from without.

And how were they the year before? And before that? And before that? I've asked you this before and you just shirked out of the conversation without answering. If you wanna call the PAC 12 the best conference, fine, go ahead, but you can't do it without any logical consistency unless you were doing the same for the SEC in that 9 year run.

No one cares that Big 10 teams added games against teams like Virginia Tech and another unranked conference team. That you actually think that gives you superiority over teams who have to play 6-7 ranked teams is laughable. And if you actually believe the rankings are bogus, then I offer up the same question I asked Woody.

I think most big schools pad their schedules on the non conf games....and inside your conference, you get who you get.....it pretty much takes an undefeated(or 1 loss) season to get any championshp opportunities....so "most" schools with any chance are going to construct a schedule that gives them a chance to get there.....then, let the cards fall where they may....

Truth is...I think most ranked teams(if asked) would avoid playing a school like OSU..... (like the plague)....

I have no way to prove it, but suspect Nick Saban wouldnt get excited about the prospect of adding a team like OSU to the schedule....and visa versa.....

Exactly. You have to do what's best for your program, not for fans that want to talk trash. If Bama wins a national championship after playing 4 cupcakes, what do they care that Big 10 fans got to watch their team play Virginia Tech or an extra conference game? If you think playing a good non-con game is worth it for your team's early development or for recruiting, then go for it. If not, then don't. For many teams, it's smarter not to. Don't know why people get so worked up.

That said, I think the NCAA should change the rules to accommodate these. Either designate the first two weeks as preseason-style "exhibition" games, or mandate that P5 teams only play each other. It's cool with me. I hate that the cupcake games affect the data collection for college teams. It also means you can't really play fantasy with college teams. It's easy for the NFL because the delta between the best and worst team in the league is much smaller than that between Ohio State and Lamar.

And how were they the year before? And before that? And before that? I've asked you this before and you just shirked out of the conversation without answering. If you wanna call the PAC 12 the best conference, fine, go ahead, but you can't do it without any logical consistency unless you were doing the same for the SEC in that 9 year run.

No one cares that Big 10 teams added games against teams like Virginia Tech and another unranked conference team. That you actually think that gives you superiority over teams who have to play 6-7 ranked teams is laughable. And if you actually believe the rankings are bogus, then I offer up the same question I asked Woody.

The SEC is overrated when it comes to the rankings. (as evidenced by Saturday's results) As for Va. Tech being unranked....they were Top 10 program for years.....including when they were scheduled.

And, as I noted....some of that so called high ranking is because they play THE biggest cream puff schedules. I mean, in some cases they don't even play mid-majors....they are playing FCS teams.

Archived