THE BROWNS BOARD

Eleanor Clift losing faith in Nobama !

calfoxwc

Eleanor Clift Losing Faith in Obama

By P.J. Gladnick

March 25, 2009 - 09:52 ET

Is this a sign of the times? Liberal columnist Eleanor Clift has joined her ideological colleagues, Mika Brzezinski and Paul Krugman, in criticizing President Barack Obama recently. What set Clift off was Obama's evasiveness in revealing whether he approved or knew in advance the AIG bonuses provided by his stimulus bill. Clift takes aim at both Obama and Treasury Secretary, Tim Geithner, in her latest Newsweek column

Who would have thought 55 days into this administration we would be asking the question, what did he know and when did he know it? Word that a provision in the stimulus bill gave the green light for AIG to hand out bonuses using taxpayer money sent the media bloodhounds hot on the trail of whoever is the culprit. For a time, it looked like Senate Banking chairman Chris Dodd would take the fall, but after 24 hours of twisting in the wind, Dodd said the change that exempted past agreements to pay bonuses was made at the request of the administration.

President Obama likes to remind voters that he inherited a mess, and that's true, but this one is of his own making. And until he comes up with a satisfactory explanation of who did what when, and why, his credibility will suffer. Forty-eight hours ago, I didn't think Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner was in trouble, but if the transaction with Dodd turns out to have Geithner's fingerprints on it, his job could be in jeopardy. The deadly chain of events may have started innocently enough, with Treasury Department lawyers raising questions about the government retroactively curtailing private-sector contracts, but did Dodd, who authored the restrictive language, capitulate to some Treasury flunky, or did someone more senior lean on him?

Hmmm.... Did a Treasury Department flunky or someone higher up convince Dodd to take out the AIG bonus restrictions out of the bill? So far Dodd won't tell but I think Eleanor has already figured out the answer. In case you think Eleanor has gone over to the "dark side" you would be wrong. She worries that this AIG fiasco could hurt the Democrats

Whomever it was, it's fair to say they did not recognize the time bomb they were setting in motion. Obama hates what he calls "process stories," but they are a staple of Washington reporting, and the backstory of this first major Obama blunder has consequences. First, it undermines the president's credibility with his own party on Capitol Hill. Democrats voted almost unanimously for the stimulus package and now Republicans have a weapon to use against them with this Treasury-inspired provision that benefits AIG. Second, the controversy undermines the trust that the American people have in government at a time when it is spending billions upon billions. Obama promises transparency, but the layers of bureaucratic double-talk look like business as usual. Geithner—formerly with the New York Federal Reserve Bank—is schooled in secrecy and, when he does speak, the kindest thing to say is that he's badly in need of media training.

Ironically, Clift then favorably cites Democrat pollster Stanley Greenberg who claims that Obama must get it right it on the economy or face the consequences at the polls in future elections.

The problem with citing Greenberg is that he might be the cause of another big Democrat disaster. He has food giant Monsanto as a client and his wife, Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, is the sponsor of HR 875, The Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, which under the guise of "food safety" would have the effect of eliminating farmers markets and roadside food stands all around the country. So while Greenberg might be wise to worry about how Obama is handling the economy, he might ultmately be hurting the Democrats just as much with his wife's foolish bill that is destined to cause something to hit the fan. And that something will be more than just organically grown tomatoes tossed by voters angry over being unable to purchase quality produce at low prices

WTF? Monsanto is Greenberg's CLIENT, and his WIFE sponsors HR 875 ? WTF?

Our gov is in the hands of corrupt somebeeches.

The problem with citing Greenberg is that he might be the cause of another big Democrat disaster. He has food giant Monsanto as a client and his wife, Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, is the sponsor of HR 875, The Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, which under the guise of "food safety" would have the effect of eliminating farmers markets and roadside food stands all around the country. So while Greenberg might be wise to worry about how Obama is handling the economy, he might ultmately be hurting the Democrats just as much with his wife's foolish bill that is destined to cause something to hit the fan. And that something will be more than just organically grown tomatoes tossed by voters angry over being unable to purchase quality produce at low prices.

WTF? Monsanto is Greenberg's CLIENT, and his WIFE sponsors HR 875 ? WTF?

Our gov is in the hands of corrupt somebeeches.

The problem with citing Greenberg is that he might be the cause of another big Democrat disaster. He has food giant Monsanto as a client and his wife, Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, is the sponsor of HR 875, The Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, which under the guise of "food safety" would have the effect of eliminating farmers markets and roadside food stands all around the country. So while Greenberg might be wise to worry about how Obama is handling the economy, he might ultmately be hurting the Democrats just as much with his wife's foolish bill that is destined to cause something to hit the fan. And that something will be more than just organically grown tomatoes tossed by voters angry over being unable to purchase quality produce at low prices.

Its all about control and getting people to except big government as being the provider for all from cradle to the grave.

They those fat Hogs in DC dont really care for the small guy who stands to make a little change at a roadside stand to help his family.

So what, they cant control what happens at a small produce stand, that is what makes America work. The freedom of being able to work and conduct business on your own, being able to provide for your family while also being able to provide fresh produce to others at a seemingly cheaper price.

If you control the food you can control the population. the same goes for NAIS (National Animal Identification System) how many small farmers will be able to afford having to tag every chicken hatched and so on. The end result will be higher food costs for all and less of it.

PE will crank it up when prices skyrocket if they did put local farmers out of business.

Then he'll be upset. Some folks need to stumble and hit their head on the sidewalk before

they will figure to avoid an uneven crack in that sidewalk.

Growing Food in Times of Scarcity

Today I got a call from a very good friend and one that has contact with some pretty prominent people. He was so sad, scared and worried, didn't want to pass on bad news but felt he should let me know. One of his close friends has a good source of information plus a high security clearance informed him that over the summer you would see more and more deployment by the military, come the end of summer into the early fall there "WILL" be martial law. The food source is being dried up gradually. Food will become so scarce and expensive families will be going hungry. This will be the start of a civil uprising and the military will be called into service to quell the looting, stealing, killing and destruction of property. This is all planned. Believe it or not but at least take the time to prepare for it just in case.

I am not telling you this is the gospel but I know where the information came from and it is certainly a credible source.

People, it more than likely cannot be stopped.. WAKE UP...You can still protect your family from most of the hard times with some planning. Do you want to see your children's eyes with hunger in them? Do you want to be on your knees begging for food ? I don't and I won't.

It is the beginning of spring now. Plant every square inch of land you can find, buy pots, buy dirt, buy food and put it away now while it is still here.

Those of you that say you don't have room... MAKE ROOM.. there are so many ways to increase space for your gardens, use your imagination.

How about a wall of food? simple, use PVC pipe, hook it to a rack or your fence or your patio supports. I have done this before just to see if it worked and to dress up a area of our patio that was not that attractive. I used 6" PVC pipes 10 feet long. just packed with good dirt and wired screen over the ends to allow drainage. Drilled holes in the pipe and planted. I grew flowers but vegetables can be grown just as easily. Just think.. put the smaller plants on the top tier, larger ones below. The only drawback is watering which with smaller containers you have to do regularly or you could just install a drip system?

How about planting your potatoes, asparagus and peanuts in bags? Easy to do and so much more prolific in production. Find some of the Tyvec we used for banners and signs during the campaign, cut into 4' lengths, stitch up two sides making a sack, poke holes for drainage in the bottom and add dirt. Plant all those potato eyes in the bags, add more compost or good dirt. As the plant grows add more dirt and when they are ready to harvest just dump out the bags, there are your future dinners. One bag can produce up to 30 pounds of potatoes. Do the same for Peanuts. The bags can be lined up alongside your garage, house, any out of the way place. ( Don't try using paper bags they will of course fall apart when wet)

How about all of those hanging baskets you saved from last years flowers? Cut holes in the bottoms and use coffee filters to keep in the dirt. Plant your cukes, squash, any vining plant in these and watch them grow. Easy to harvest and prolific producers as long as you keep them moist and fertilized. Ever heard of the upside down planters? Make your own.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday starting some seeds for the garden. Easy and relaxing work. I splurged and bought some new 6 pack containers which comes with a bottom tray and a top clear plastic dome cover to protect the seedlings from being washed away by heavy rain, cold, etc.

I like to use a sterile medium, Peat Moss and Perlite, it is free of diseases and bugs and insures a good start to your little plants. Use one part Perlite with 20 parts peat and you will have a perfect medium for starting anything.

Get your hands dirty and fill your little pots with the mix, leave about a half inch on the top of each section. Put in your seeds ( usually 2 seeds per container) add more soil to cover the seeds and press it down to insure good contact with the medium... Make sure you wet your peat mixture down before filling the containers. Peat is hard to wet totally and takes some mixing by hand to insure it is wet all the way through.

Then just cover and wait for nature to take its course:

Tim brought in a truck load of ruined hay to mulch our garden with and will get that on the garden tomorrow. Then the real work begins.. planting peas, beans, okra, peppers, eggplants and all the greens I love so much.. collards, kale, mustard and broccoli. These will do well even with some cold nights left to go.

Please people stock up your pantry, have enough food for your family for at least 6 months. A year would be better but I know how much it costs. Don't listen to the experts, buy what you normally eat no need to stock up on items that are recomended but you rarely eat. Make sure you have enough salt, sugar, oil, coffee, tea, chocolate and spices of all kinds. These will be the things people forget to store up on and will become good items to barter. Flour is already becoming scarce in our area, corn meal the same, Meat will become so expensive it will be out of reach for most of us but by buying now and canning it ( freezing is ok but if your power is cut off your meat will spoil so I just can it all) I must have 10 cases of hamburger canned, beef stew, Chicken "N" dumplings, Pork Chops, vegetable soups and spagetti sauce all ready to go. Just open the jar and heat and eat. So much better than the store brands and you know exactly what is in them. Roasts can be canned also very easily. If you don't have a pressure canner yet get one by hook or crook. It will be a Godsend if things go sour and I think they will shortly.

Think about building a dehydrator, easy to build, I used one of those closet bags for hanging suits etc and replaced the plastic with screen wire. Added shelves and I can hang it outside in the fresh air with all the vegetables on it to air dry. The indians did it hundreds of years ago and it is still a good idea. Dried food lasts a long time, can be stored easily and is ready to just add water and heat and eat.

Everyone is busy buying all the expensive water purifiers.. why? Build one.. easy.. look at how a alcohol still is built, make a small one. You will be making distilled water in no time. I made one out of a old pressure cooker just take off the jiggler and attach a metal or glass tube ( The first one I made used Aquarium tubing )to run to your water bottle. fill the cooker, turn it on and just watch the water start coming out of the spout. All the impurities will remain in the cooker and only pure steam will be put out to condense back into water. Add a pinch of salt to make it have some taste and you are in business.

When you go to the flea markets, yard sales etc make sure to snap up any and all canning jars and lids, you will need to can your produce for the next winters use.

Please take heed and start today. There is no time to lose and if you wait you may be one of the ones that are just begging for help from our wonderful Government which means you have to obey. You have to comply, you have to agree to be what ever they want you to be or you could just be left to starve !

DO NOT make your plans known to your neighbors unless they are also doing the same thing. When the SHTF there will be so many people on the streets looking for food for their families you will be a target. Just remember even a honest hardworking Christian will turn to anything to feed his children. He will steal, lie, even kill to keep his children from starving. Wouldn't you?

I keep hearing about a very possible shortage of Mason jars for canning, and canning supplies.

I have to go buy some more. Canned tomatoes are outstanting - makes great chili in winter.

The best potato, imho, is Kennebec. One of the best tomatoes is Rutgers. Brandywine is also

excellent. Depends on if you want a very good taste of acidic tomato, or sweet, non acidic tomato

like cherry tomatoes, or the more bland? hybrid yellow tomatoes.

Sweet banana peppers, Hungarian semi-hots, chili peppers are easy. The bell peppers take a lot

longer to ripen, specifically the yellow and orange bell peppers.

Spinich is excellent in food value, as well as collards... more so than lettuce, but lettuce is easy.

You can grow sugar snap peas soon, they'll grow up trellises, they are a cold weather crop.

Those, you can pick right off the vine and eat, pod and all. The sugar content is amazing.

The hybrid Early Girl tomato is an outstanding tomato, and bears fruit very early.

We're growing cabbages this year - cabbage is also excellent food value.

So far, we've planted 148 Rutger tomatoes in seed. We have several other tomatoes we'll be doing.

Canning this year will be our greatest challenge, we are really going to store food by canning.

Freezing is nice, but restrictive in room, and subject to outages or accidental freezer doors popping open if

too full.

Plant an apple tree, or plum tree etc, in your yard. You can check around for larger instant orchard trees with

some research in your area, or on the internet.

don't be afraid to try making your own beef jerky if you find a great deal on lean hamburger or ground chuck.

Learn to bake your own bread. We are going to grow our own wheat as a winter sub-crop, as well as a few acres

of field corn. These can be ground with a hand or power grinder, and you can make your own bread, and corn bread.

Consider how much your grocery bill is now. Now, double and triple that... and wonder what you would cope.

It's possible you may need to. Let's hope not.

Tomatoes can develop blossom end rot. This is caused by a lack of calcium in your soil. get a calcium spray,

or add crushed oyster shells or whatever if you can locate that product.

Corn needs a high nitrogen fertilizer. soybeans etc add nitrogen to your soil. Consider rotating your crops

if you find your current garden lacks it's usual production.

Tomatoes contain lycopene, I think it is - a cancer fighting chemical. Just so you know.

When you guy a tomato plant and plant it, -pick- the leaves and stems off of the bottom 5/8 or so of the plant,

not messing with the top, and dig your hole deep and long enough to lay the tomato plant down in the hole,

and only let the top stick out.

Roots will develop all along that buried stem, and you will have a dynamically growing tomato plant.

Consider growing your own sage, dill, mint and other herbs you like. It's easy. Mint spreads and makes

any regular tea a better tea, imho. I harvested several bags of it. Love it.

If you can, go to your local hardware store that carries canning supplies, and buy the Ball Blue Book. You

won't be sorry. It will also help you know how to properly freeze your produce.

you can grow your own grapes, blackberries, etc right in your own back yard.

Watermelon and cantelop seem to never have the time to ripen here in Ohio, unless the seedlings are started early.

Check out squash. Some winter squash will keep a long winter in a cool dry place.

Work on drying your stuff. apple slices, pineapple slices, berries, tomatoes...

I tried freezing whole green tomatoes. Doesn't work well at all. too bad. But drying them

in slices works terrific - I have been adding them to chili etc all winter.

Consider growing dried beans. They will last kinda forever in a dry place, as long as they are just that...

dried. They don't cost much now, but later...

Go to garage sales and buy books on country living and recipe books, etc. A very, very cheap library

of these books you collect will be a hard times survival guide worth it's weight in gold.

Evaluate bottled water, and buy several cases. If something happens to your water supply,

you are in big trouble, unless the gov can get you bottled water soon.

In a densely populated area, consider growing some flowers and certain good food herbs - that are edible. They won't be

so easily noted as food and stolen...

For veggies and fruits you don't know how to store, or can't... buy a juicer. Make juice.

You can freeze that, without the trouble of texture problems like very soggy, crappy tasting

green beans.

In the Blue Book, follow the directions exactly, to the second, to the proper degree of temp, etc.

Don't mess around, the guidelines are for your safety. And you must check your processed jars, after they

cool, to be certain they sealed properly, by observing and pressing on the top center of the lid.

If it moves? Reprocess(recook) the jar(s) again.

Buy extra food for your pets. Consider getting a small or bigger real deal generator for long power outages.

In the summer, a freezer full of food could be ruined. Or, in winter, you and your family may have no heat

if you heat with electric... or even if natural gas goes kaput. Like, maybe you can't pay your bill anymore...

Get deadbolts on your doors. Buy a gun, even if it's only a .22 rifle, and learn and practice very serious

safety rules and handling diligently.

DO NOT fool around with plant life you think is edible, you could be mistaken badly, and you and whoever else

who might eat it, could be devasted with illness or worse. Mushrooms are just ONE example.

Even cat-tails have an almost look alike as far as the location and green stems and leaves go.

But the look alike doesn't have the brown peaks on the top of the stem.

Batteries for flashlights and radios are fine...until they fizzle out. Rechargeable is better, but eventually,

they can fizzle out too.

if you have horses, only buy horse hay. Too much alfalfa for too long is too much protein and can hurt the horses' health

badly. Generally, no more than 10% is supposed to be good, unless you're talkin hard working horses or race horses,

they can use up the extra alfalfa. Talk to your vet.

Try fried bullfrog legs. Good stuff. Especially dipped in milk and egg and coated with your favorite fish breading.

Buy a milk goat and learn to make your own butter.

Well, I don't plan to do this either, but you never know... @@

Archived