THE BROWNS BOARD

Harbaugh is in for a LONG year

Browns149

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which would be appropriate here if this were the first jump he was making...

Going from SDSU to Stanford still leaves you woefully short of knowing how to manage the egos of a big time program. Hey, he'll probably do fine, I just don't like when people assume a guy will dominate the CFB big leagues just because he dominated the small ones.

Going from SDSU to Stanford still leaves you woefully short of knowing how to manage the egos of a big time program. Hey, he'll probably do fine, I just don't like when people assume a guy will dominate the CFB big leagues just because he dominated the small ones.

He had no egos to manage on an NFL team?

Who has said he will dominate?

Was Stanford in a "small league"? They play in the same FBS as everyone else, correct? Or are you calling the PAC 12 small?

You said there's no guarantee he'll win because he's only won at a "small program". That completely ignores each program he's turned around, it makes Stanford sound like a MAC team, and it ignores his entire NFL stint...

It's a rivalry Woody. Don't expect anything other than this.

No, of course. I am fine with the shit talking and what not. I just would like common sense, based in reality, or factual responses from the other side. Responding with inaccurate statements and straw man gets really old, really fast. It is amazing how much some people can lose any ability to reason and use common sense when it involves OSU and Michigan. I see it here a lot though. It is probably a byproduct of all of the success OSU has had recently. A delusional, arrogant, fanbase. I'd probably be saying the same thing about Bama fans.

Don't know if you noticed, but YOUR reality or what you view as common sense matches approximately 0 % of the board population opinion concerning this subject matter and not much higher on other subjects..

Are you talking the political board? 2 things there. One, don't confuse multiple threads about the same thing made by the same people as the population believing that. Two, I'm fine being seen as not agreeing with them on a handful of subjects. I have no problem with not being seen as being on the wrong side of history

When it comes to this board, no shit, most of you are OSU fans. I know a lot of sensible OSU fans in real life. Maybe it is the anonymity of the online forum that brings it out, but there are a lot of childlike, toll-like, moronic posts on the subject at hand. Again, if am seen as not fitting that mold, I am ok with it.

I have no doubt that if an unbiased observer read through some of the old threads on here, I'd be seen as the reasonable one. Multiple times I've been called out for not being completely 100% OSU 100% of the time. Where the other side gives nothing more than posts attacking Michigan or just spewing incorrect nonsense. If only I did that too.... huh?

He had no egos to manage on an NFL team?

Who has said he will dominate?

Was Stanford in a "small league"? They play in the same FBS as everyone else, correct? Or are you calling the PAC 12 small?

You said there's no guarantee he'll win because he's only won at a "small program". That completely ignores each program he's turned around, it makes Stanford sound like a MAC team, and it ignores his entire NFL stint...

You can cut guys in the NFL. Everyone's got a professionals mentality. Completely different ball game.

Pretty much every Michigan fan. If not, what exactly do you think he will do?

"Big leagues" is an expression. Stanford is not in the CFB big leagues when it comes to programs. Had nothing to do with the PAC 12.

It doesn't ignore each program he's turned around. It says it's a small program. Exactly what I said.

We lost the first game, by 7, on the road at night against a good team, with a -3 turnover margin. And it was only 7 points.

What do you think "what it could be" is? Most people are putting the bottom as 6-6, with 8-4 a reasonable expectation.

8-4 is optimal expectation, 6-6 is reasonable expectation. 4-8 is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Because he's moved up each time... and now he is where he wants to be.

You think he is a new Nick Saban......success in college, switches to the pros....things there become iffy...then he decides tp go back to college to his "dream job". Sure, possible. But then his dream job unlike Saban may in fact be back in the NFL......who knows, we shall see.

You think he is a new Nick Saban......success in college, switches to the pros....things there become iffy...then he decides tp go back to college to his "dream job". Sure, possible. But then his dream job unlike Saban may in fact be back in the NFL......who knows, we shall see.

First of all I'd never want Harbaugh to be like Saban.

Second, there are a lot of differences in these situations

1) JH actually had success in the pros, a lot of it

2) JH could gave continued coaching in the NFL at a number of locations if he wanted to

3) JH is back at the team he played for. In the town he grew up in. His kids are going to the same elementary school he did. By all accounts he is where he wants to be right now.

You can cut guys in the NFL. Everyone's got a professionals mentality. Completely different ball game.

Pretty much every Michigan fan. If not, what exactly do you think he will do?

"Big leagues" is an expression. Stanford is not in the CFB big leagues when it comes to programs. Had nothing to do with the PAC 12.

It doesn't ignore each program he's turned around. It says it's a small program. Exactly what I said.

Everyone has a professional mentality in the NFL? Really? You think egos just disappear once you reach the NFL? And you think "just cut them" is the answer?

Every Michigan fan says Harbaugh will "dominate"? Really? I disagree, but I guess that would depend on your definition of dominate.

No, Stanford is not in the top level of big time programs. Stanford isn't a small program though. And, again, it ignores the NFL.

Though I'm sure most NFL coaches would be relieved to hear there aren't egos to deal with in the NFL and everyone is a professional.

First of all I'd never want Harbaugh to be like Saban.

Second, there are a lot of differences in these situations

1) JH actually had success in the pros, a lot of it

2) JH could gave continued coaching in the NFL at a number of locations if he wanted to

3) JH is back at the team he played for. In the town he grew up in. His kids are going to the same elementary school he did. By all accounts he is where he wants to be right now.

Possible, but who knows.

Harbaugh.....went to HS in Palo Alto (maybe that is where he really would like to be...but can't go back there). And he was born in Toledo.

So...when did he live in AA as a baern?

Possible, but who knows.

Harbaugh.....went to HS in Palo Alto (maybe that is where he really would like to be...but can't go back there). And he was born in Toledo.

So...when did he live in AA as a baern?

He lived in AA between 1973 and 1979, when his dad coached here. During that time he idolized Bo. Not to mention he played here under Bo. He has plenty of time in here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've followed this more than you. It seems like this is where he wants to be.

Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL and be in Cali, he'd be there.

He lived in AA between 1973 and 1979, when his dad coached here. During that time he idolized Bo. Not to mention he played here under Bo. He has plenty of time in here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've followed this more than you. It seems like this is where he wants to be.

Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL and be in Cali, he'd be there.

Just wait until a decent/good NFL team comes calling.

I don't think he will leave for some scrub team without a franchise QB.

Maybe the Giants in a year or 2 or maybe the Colts, as their coach is in the last year of his contract.

If the Colts call him next off-season, he will be on the first thing smokin' to Indy

You think he didn't have any good/decent options in the NFL? With all of the success he had? You sure?

Of the 7 NFL teams that needed a coach this past off-season, maybe ATL was a better job than UM

Wait until the Colts need a new coach. They will have their pick of any college coach they want

Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh all might get calls from them, and if they want Harbaugh he will be gone

Everyone has a professional mentality in the NFL? Really? You think egos just disappear once you reach the NFL? And you think "just cut them" is the answer?

Every Michigan fan says Harbaugh will "dominate"? Really? I disagree, but I guess that would depend on your definition of dominate.

No, Stanford is not in the top level of big time programs. Stanford isn't a small program though. And, again, it ignores the NFL.

Though I'm sure most NFL coaches would be relieved to hear there aren't egos to deal with in the NFL and everyone is a professional.

It's a completely different ball game dealing with these youngsters. They are anywhere from 1-5 years younger than every NFL player. That makes a huge difference. They can be cut in a lot of instances. See West, Terrence (I realize he wasn't technically cut).

So you haven't said exactly what you think he'll do. Just are refuting my interpretation of Michigan fans (which is built largely off of the things you've said anyway). Care to actually offer an opinion instead of picking apart everyone else's?

Of the 7 NFL teams that needed a coach this past off-season, maybe ATL was a better job than UM

Wait until the Colts need a new coach. They will have their pick of any college coach they want

Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh all might get calls from them, and if they want Harbaugh he will be gone

Sure thing.

I imagine you also went from the "he'll never leave the NFL for Michigan!" to the "Well no one in the NFL wanted him anyway!" camps too...

It's a completely different ball game dealing with these youngsters. They are anywhere from 1-5 years younger than every NFL player. That makes a huge difference. They can be cut in a lot of instances. See West, Terrence (I realize he wasn't technically cut).

So you haven't said exactly what you think he'll do. Just are refuting my interpretation of Michigan fans (which is built largely off of the things you've said anyway). Care to actually offer an opinion instead of picking apart everyone else's?

I think we'll be in the national title conversation in about 4 years

West wasn't a star. Moving him was no big deal. College coaches have much, much more influence over their players than NFL coaches.

Ok we're splitting hairs but being in the title conversation is not dominating?

The guys are much older, more mature, the ones with character issues are downgraded in the draft, etc. No comparison to getting some kid in from New Orleans or BF, Mississippi that's grown up with no father and a ton of violence in the neighborhood and whose first time leaving his 100 mile radius is when his high school coach drove him to an unofficial visit. That's who you're managing. Not a guy who's been a college star for years.

Alright, fair enough. That's a clear distinction. Why don't you though?

I don't think that is a reasonable expectation for any team. There is a lot of competition across the board. Michigan has a top coach, they're a top program historically, have all of the resources they could need, etc etc etc... but it is unreasonable to expect "dominance" anywhere.

Sure thing.

I imagine you also went from the "he'll never leave the NFL for Michigan!" to the "Well no one in the NFL wanted him anyway!" camps too...

It was easy for him to leave the NFL for UM. He had no better offer.

I'm sure the Raiders wanted him, or the Jets, or even the Bills, but he wasn't going there.

And I don't blame him for that, those places are where coaches go to die.

So he ran to UM until he gets a better offer. Just like he has done his entire coaching career

It was easy for him to leave the NFL for UM. He had no better offer.

I'm sure the Raiders wanted him, or the Jets, or even the Bills, but he wasn't going there.

And I don't blame him for that, those places are where coaches go to die.

So he ran to UM until he gets a better offer. Just like he has done his entire coaching career

Oh god, your bias is just making you sound like an idiot. Yes, Harbaugh ran from all of his past jobs. How dare he succeed at each of his past stops and then use that success to move up...

I am going to guess, after the success JH had in the NFL, a lot more than 3 teams were interested. Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL, he'd be there...

Archived