THE BROWNS BOARD

Cold fusion experimentally confirmed

SiperBowl

Cold fusion experimentally confirmed

PORTLAND, Ore. — U.S. Navy researchers claimed to have experimentally confirmed cold fusion in a presentation at the American Chemical Society's annual meeting.

"We have compelling evidence that fusion reactions are occurring" at room temperature, said Pamela Mosier-Boss, a scientist with the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (San Diego). The results are "the first scientific report of highly energetic neutrons from low-energy nuclear reactions," she added.

Cold fusion was first reported in 1989 by researchers Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons, then with the University of Utah, prompting a global effort to develop the technology. Normal fusion reactions, where hydrogen is fused into helium, occur at millions of degrees inside the Sun. If room temperature fusion reactions could be realized commercially, as Fleishchmann and Pons claimed to have achieved inside an electrolytic cell, it promised to produce abundant nuclear energy from deuterium--heavy hydrogen--extracted from seawater.

Other scientists were unable to duplicate the 1989 results, thereby discrediting the work.

The theoretical underpinnings of cold fusion have yet to be adequately explained. The hypothesis is that when electrolysis is performed on deuteron, molecules are fused into helium, releasing a high-energy neutron. While excess heat has been detected by researchers, no group had yet been able to detect the missing neutrons.

Now, the Naval researchers claim that the problem was instrumentation, which was not up to the task of detecting such small numbers of neutrons. To sense such small quantities, Mosier-Boss used a special plastic detector called CR-39. Using co-deposition with nickel and gold wire electrodes, which were inserted into a mixture of palladium chloride and deutrium, the detector was able to capture and track the high-energy neutrons.

cold400.gif

The plastic detector captured a pattern of tiny clusters of adjacent pits, called triple tracks, which the researchers claim is evidence of the telltale neutrons.

Other presenters at the conference also presented evidence supporting cold fusion, including Antonella De Ninno, a scientist with New Technologies Energy and Environment (Rome), who reported both excess heat and helium gas.

"We now have very convincing experimental evidence," De Ninno claimed.

Tadahiko Mizuno of Japan's Hokkaido University also reported excess heat generation and gamma-ray emissions.

All three research groups are currently exploring both experimental and theoretical studies in hopes of better understanding the cold fusion process well enough to commercialize it.

Research funding was provided by the Department of the Navy and JWK International Corp. (Annandale, Va.).

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArt...cleID=216200272

choco you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Deuterium, also called heavy hydrogen, is a stable isotope of hydrogen with a natural abundance in the oceans of Earth of approximately one atom in 6500 of hydrogen (~154 PPM). Deuterium thus accounts for approximately 0.015% (alternately, on a weight basis: 0.030%) of all naturally occurring hydrogen in the oceans on Earth (see VSMOW; the abundance changes slightly from one kind of natural water to another)

The adult human body naturally contains deuterium equivalent to the amount in about 5 grams of heavy water,

I dont know how credible this story or study but I know in 2004 the DOE discounted the probability. That really means nothing, it just means we dont fully understand what we are studying right now.

IF cold fusion can be achieved producing deuterium from water chemically wont be a problem. That is a BIG IF.

so, you quote a wiki article, and i dont know what I'M talking about? your such a joke sev.....you need to understand what you are reading. you have an engineering background? i do......

read the article again because YOU are obviously the one with no conception of science....

from the article:

The hypothesis is that when electrolysis is performed on deuteron, molecules are fused into helium, releasing a high-energy neutron.

electolysis ON deuterium.....ON it. it is not the by-product, which would be helium. now, since you can't fingure out what this means by yourself, i'll tell you.

by weight, we have 0.03% deuterium on the planet....which is the fuel for this reaction. the fuel.....or the substance we will react to extract the energy. most of this is in the ocean.....so we must use energy to collect the water, filter it, extract the deuterium, process it to a useble condition, then we may be able to react it.

you just dont go get a glass of deuterium at your faucet, sev.

i wont bother you with the thermodynamic laws either, but let me simply state that a law of physics states that you cannot get more energy out of any system than you put in. so unless this is a self sustaining reaction (which....its not), then this is, once again....a hoax.

now, rereading your post.....you also misunderstand the composition of the materials you are talking about. deuterium is not really heavy "water", but a heavy hydrogen isotope. calling heavy water deuterium is a misnomer at best.

there are 3 hydrogen isotropes:

-protium

-deuterium

-tritium

these are classified by the number of neutrons in the nucleus......now, you seem to think adding neutrons to an atomic nucleus is easily done. want to elaborate? do you even know what a hydrogen atomic bond is?

somehow, this reminds me of ethanol. you use more resources to create the fuel than would be used for current technology. so instead of wasting money trying to overcome laws of nature, why not skip deuterium reactor and go straight to plain old water reactors? no fuel processing....just pipe it in and filter it. its called the tokamak....and it doesn't work either.

edit: this is all from memory sev......i looked up the weight percentage of heavy water, and i couldn't remember the proper name for regular hydrogen. how many people that dont know the subject matter can rattle this shit off? i'll admit i dont know every intricacy......but i've studied science all my life, and what they are describing here is in no way in line with the laws of physics.

Actually I have a pretty heavy background in chemistry and sciences in general. I do understand what I am talking about. I did post a wiki statement because it is the most complete way to respond to your ridiculous statement about the "scarcity" deuterium.

How many contries currently produce heavy water and in what quantities? The answer A TON using chemical processes and electrolysis. IT IS NOT RARE.

Now if your argument about the energy cost of producing deuterium was based on electrolysis I would completely agree. LIke ethanol the amount of energy required to produce ethanol has a negative value. THAT IS WHY MOST ADVANCED COUNTRIES ARE USING CHEMICAL METHODS TO PRODUCE HEAVY WATER.

THAT IS WHY MOST ADVANCED COUNTRIES ARE USING CHEMICAL METHODS TO PRODUCE HEAVY WATER.

Sev's right on this one, choco. However the chemical method still requires distillation to get reactor-grade D20 as yields fall in the 10-20% range without it.

Conclusion: Still a negative energy value, just not as severe (but incredibly silly for practical purposes).

Legacy I dont think creating heavy water is practical in general. However depeding upon any "possible"positve energy yield that "potential" cold fusion process MAY create it MIGHT be interesting and quite game changing.

Obviously I am a skeptic on "cold" fusion until it is replicated and shown to have a net gain against cost of material production.

Choco by the way I HATE ethanol and think it is one of the dumbest obvious corn/agri lobbying "green" ideas. Its not effective nor sustainable on any sort of level of use we might employ with our current transportation methods and is one of the things that guys like Cal are 100% correct on lobbying green for pure monetary reasons not logical nor "green".

Archived