THE BROWNS BOARD

Last House On The Left Review

Last House on the Left

Rogue

R 106 min

So I understand the lure of remaking an old film. I almost used the word “classic” but uh…

First you’ll have the curious fans wondering how you treat the subject matter this time.

Name recognition ads are less expensive.

Second you get to use all the newfangled effects that the old guys never had. Modern science has really augmented the fake blood.

Third you don’t have to pay for a new idea.

Now there’s a downside too. Unlike the Spanish Inquisition, you lose the element of surprise. (Unless you change things completely and really piss people off)

Number four is that in 2009 you can get away with a lot more sex and violence than you could in 1972 and keep the R rating.

I see that as the main reason as the effects consist of a few gallons of red stuff and there really isn’t a lot of plot.

In honesty for what it is LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT delivers the goods just fine.

Even though Wes Craven is still on the team this isn’t a slasher film featuring a supernatural goon. It’s human psycho killers who end up, as Buckley used to say, “Hoist by their own petards”

No idea why this murderous family is crazy but in the course their merry travels, the son (the nearly normal son like Marilyn Addams) meets a couple young girls and they become friends.

But there’s trouble when wacko dad uncle and random floozie come home. They torture beat and rape the unfortunate playmates, even kill the least important one, in order to teach the kid a lesson. Not exactly Dr. Spock.

Now it’s bad news for the lunatics when they stumble into one of the girls’ parents home following an accident.

There’s not much more but if you’re in the mood for some ultra violence and ultra retribution this one’s your cup of fake blood.

The cheeseball final scene cost it a half a point but if you’re up for FUNNY GAMES with a happy ending go for it.

C +

WSS

Westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived