THE BROWNS BOARD

Michigan's fans & attendance is dwelling

A lackluster season combined with fan apathy resulted in Michigan losing the attendance title for only the second time since 1974. The Wolverines had the sixth-biggest drop of any FBS school, as an average of 6,683 fewer fans showed up to games last season versus the previous year. The 104,909 fans per game put Michigan behind rival Ohio State (106,296) -- which saw an increase of more than 1,300 fans per game during its national championship season -- and Texas A&M (105,123).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12886474/major-college-football-attendance-hits-worst-average-2003

Happens in every single sport around the world. Team plays well, more people want to watch. Team plays badly, fewer people want to watch. Unsurprising and largely uninteresting.

Happens in every single sport around the world. Team plays well, more people want to watch. Team plays badly, fewer people want to watch. Unsurprising and largely uninteresting.

EXcept for the Cleveland Browns......their attendance figures stay steady, win or lose.

Yes, less people filled the stadium. 105,000 vs our max, the NCAA record...

That happens when your home schedule sucks, people are actively boycotting the AD, and the team is bad.

Now, we sold out right away and have a wait list. Enjoy your one year with the attendance title I guess...

You seem to really care about Michigan though.

It won't matter how many people are at the games. Ohio State will win the national title again, and wishagin will probably lose 5 games

Maybe OSU wins another title, odds say they won't (obviously).

True....still very difficult to win back to back. (Usually I would say that injuries would be a factor in allowing that to happen....but injuries don't seem to bother this team)

The common prediction first year for Michigan is 8-4. It will rely strongly on what happens at QB though. The first game on the road at Utah will be big.

Not that I disagree with it....but where do you go to find a "common prediction?

I based that on every season preview I've read about Michigan by sports reporters, and what other, knowledgeable, level headed fans think. It is an average, more or less. Probably skewing to the conservative side.

A ton still rides on the QB, which is largely unknown. The D should be very good to borderline elite. This will rely mainly on the pass rush, as the secondary will be one of the best in the country I bet (my main "pie in the sky" prediction. The running game should be serviceable to good. The passing game is a big mystery, but probably won't be that great.

Basically, they're season outlook is very, very similar to the browns.

And yes, OSU is unaffected by injuries... Of course injuries could derail their season, just like any other team. They just had outstanding QB depth and a coach that could mask their weakness (and a running game that caught fire at the perfect time).

OSU is the favorite to make the playoffs from the B1G, for sure, but repeating will be nearly impossible. I'm not sure what OSUs schedule looks like though. Any tough games?

I know they play us at home. Depending on what happens leading up to there, that could be a very tough game (the records usually get thrown out in The Game) anyway.

Virginia Tech is their biggest non conference game....at Blacksburg.

But...they really messed up their schedule. They have a game against Hawaii.....at home....in September! How dumb is that.....you need to schedule Hawaii as an away game...in December.

Besides those two, it is two MAC teams. NIU and W. Michigan. NIU is no pushover.

Ohio State schedule:

@Va Tech

Hawaii

NIU

Western Michigan

@Indiana

Maryland

Penn State

@Rutgers

Minnesota

@Illinois

Michigan State

@Michigan

Michigan schedule:

@Utah

Oregon State

UNLV

BYU

@Maryland

Northwestern

Michigan State

@Minnesota

Rutgers

@Indiana

@Penn State

Ohio State

Both Ohio State and Michigan will have huge games on the road to open the season against teams that manhandled them last year. I still think the hardest game for both teams will be Michigan State because Connor Cook is really good and Michigan State is no pushover. I could also see Penn State being better this year. I see Ohio State running the table and I see Michigan losing to Utah, Michigan State, Penn State, and Minnesota

Virginia Tech is their biggest non conference game....at Blacksburg.

But...they really messed up their schedule. They have a game against Hawaii.....at home....in September! How dumb is that.....you need to schedule Hawaii as an away game...in December.

Besides those two, it is two MAC teams. NIU and W. Michigan. NIU is no pushover.

VaTech beating OSU was a huge fluke (obviously). Mostly a result of an inexperienced QB. I don't think they're a great team, but playing at VT is tough no matter what..

I'm sure OSU would enjoy the massive loss of revenue involved in playing at Hawaii lol.

W Michigan is definitely the best directional Michigan. IDK how good NIU is after Lynch left.

Our series is over. For now at least.

The series is over? That's like one of the biggest game of the year and most televised, why the absolute fuck would they cancel that series?

As an OSU fan I loved watching that game. I remember the night game in 2012 where Michigan scored 28 in the 4th quarter, one of the better games I watched in my life. Michigan won and I was at a bar in LA called Dillions Irish Pub full of Notre Dame fans and they all started going apeshit.

The series is over? That's like one of the biggest game of the year and most televised, why the absolute fuck would they cancel that series?

As an OSU fan I loved watching that game. I remember the night game in 2012 where Michigan scored 28 in the 4th quarter, one of the better games I watched in my life. Michigan won and I was at a bar in LA called Dillions Irish Pub full of Notre Dame fans and they all started going apeshit.

It was even better in the student section ;)

Was it ND that cancelled the series?

The series was originally going to go to 2031. ND cancelled in 2012 (three year rolling period, needed to go through 2014 still) citing the need to play more ACC teams. But yeah, it came from their end, not ours.

VaTech beating OSU was a huge fluke (obviously). Mostly a result of an inexperienced QB. I don't think they're a great team, but playing at VT is tough no matter what..

I'm sure OSU would enjoy the massive loss of revenue involved in playing at Hawaii lol.

W Michigan is definitely the best directional Michigan. IDK how good NIU is after Lynch left.

Lynch ...or QB?

They have been a comparatively strong program for a while now (for their MAC level).

I attribute that more to the coach than to the QB. They will probably continue to be tough.

Archived