THE BROWNS BOARD

#1 overall pick...short list.

The Gipper

Last night they held the NBA Draft Lottery for the 30th year. (first year was when Patrick Ewing was the prize). This morning I heard that in the history of the draft lottery, only 2 #1 overall picks in that era went on to win a title with the team that drafted them. Those were David Robinson and Tim Duncan, both with the Spurs. However, if the Cavs were to win the title this year (or the next few years) with LeBron and Kyrie, they would become only the 3rd and 4th #1 overall picks to win a title with the team that drafted them. (A few, like LeBron and Shaq won titles with other teams.).....So, this thought prompted a few short Trivia questions....NFL wise to mind, and here they are:

1. In the 79 years of the NFL Draft, 79 players have been selected #1 overall. A decent percent of those: 12 of the 79 were with the original team that drafted them when that team won an NFL Championship (either Super Bowl or pre SB NFL title).

Name the 12. (for this I am not counting AFL drafts or Supp drafts)

2. There are 6 #1 overall picks that were with a team other than the one that originally drafted them that won a Championship. Name these 6.

Hint: all 6 came in the "Super Bowl era".

3. Of the 18 names from the first two questions, 8 of those players are currently in the PF Hall of Fame. Name those 8.

4. Finally, of all those names from the prior lists, only one player accomplished all of the following: Won a Championship with the team that originally drafted him, is in the PFHOF, and won the Heisman trophy. Name that one guy.

Last night they held the NBA Draft Lottery for the 30th year. (first year was when Patrick Ewing was the prize). This morning I heard that in the history of the draft lottery, only 2 #1 overall picks in that era went on to win a title with the team that drafted them. Those were David Robinson and Tim Duncan, both with the Spurs. However, if the Cavs were to win the title this year (or the next few years) with LeBron and Kyrie, they would become only the 3rd and 4th #1 overall picks to win a title with the team that drafted them. (A few, like LeBron and Shaq won titles with other teams.).....So, this thought prompted a few short Trivia questions....NFL wise to mind, and here they are:

1. In the 79 years of the NFL Draft, 79 players have been selected #1 overall. A decent percent of those: 12 of the 79 were with the original team that drafted them when that team won an NFL Championship (either Super Bowl or pre SB NFL title).

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

2. There are 6 #1 overall picks that were with a team other than the one that originally drafted them that won a Championship. Name these 6.

Jim Plunkett?

3. Of the 18 names from the first two questions, 8 of those players are currently in the PF Hall of Fame. Name those 8.

Plunkett would be, I suppose.

4. Finally, of all those names from the prior lists, only one player accomplished all of the following: Won a Championship with the team that originally drafted him, is in the PFHOF, and won the Heisman trophy. Name that one guy.

Peyton Manning He is one.

Eli Manning NO

Jim Plunkett? He is one.

Plunkett would be, I suppose. NO, Plunkett is not HOF.

Oh yeah, Eli was drafted by the chargers. Which I guess makes him an answer to the other one.

Jim Plunkett, rookie of the year, comeback player of the year, superbowl MVP, not in the HOF? A little surprising I guess.

Oh yeah, Eli was drafted by the chargers. Which I guess makes him an answer to the other one.

Jim Plunkett, rookie of the year, comeback player of the year, superbowl MVP, not in the HOF? A little surprising I guess.

Eli is one for Q2.

I am not sure that Plunkett was ROY. We have had this discussion/argument about Plunkett's HOF credentials on here a few times....and while I have been on the fence about putting him in, Zombo...who is vehemently against it, is probably right when he argues that Plunkett's only real poker chip in the HOF consideration are those two titles. Beyond that he had a decent, but not outstanding career. He is by no means high on any leader boards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PlunJi00.htm

His predecessor with the Raiders, Ken Stabler, may actually have better credentials, and he is not in either.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StabKe00.htm

Stabler has almost double the number of wins as a starter than losses. Plunkett was essentially .500

1. Aikmen, Bradshaw, and im pretty sure Bledsoe was still on the Pats for their first one.

2. Elway

3. Aikmen, Bradshaw, Elway

These are all correct, though partial, answers.

There are still 8 #1 picks not yet named who won a title for the team that drafted them. Plus there are 3 others not yet named who won a title with a different team than the one that drafted them. Plus 4 HOFers.

1. P. Manning, Russel Maryland, Bledsoe, Orlando Pace, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Terry Bradshaw, Bubba Smith, Paul Hornung, George Shaw, Chuck Bednarik, Charley Trippi,

2. Eli, Elway, Keyshawn, George Rogers, John Matuszak, Plunkett

3. Aikman, Elway, Bradshaw, Horning, Bednarik, Charley Trippi...not sure the other 2

1. P. Manning, Russel Maryland, Bledsoe, Orlando Pace, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Terry Bradshaw, Bubba Smith, Paul Hornung, George Shaw, Chuck Bednarik, Charley Trippi,

You had to have looked that up. No one would know about George Shaw if they didn't look it up. But these are all correct.

These are all correct...except that there is actually another.

3. Aikman, Elway, Bradshaw, Horning, Bednarik, Charley Trippi...not sure the other 2

actually there are not two more. I was jumping the gun on Peyton Manning and Orlando Pace.

You had to have looked that up. No one would know about George Shaw if they didn't look it up. But these are all correct.

These are all correct...except that there is actually another.

actually there are not two more. I was jumping the gun on Peyton Manning and Orlando Pace.

Had to look up after Horning. I'm only 34 after all.

Had to look up after Horning. I'm only 34 after all.

The point about doing the trivia on here is that this is the honor system. You answer what you can without looking it up, and leave the rest for others to try.

If you want to look things up, I suggest you do the research on subjects you want then post your own trivia thread...and let the rest of us answer those.

Archived