THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama offends Special Olympians

calfoxwc

President Obama Jokes About Being a Bad Bowler: 'It's Like the Special Olympics'

March 19, 2009 8:56 PM

The first appearance by a sitting president on "The Tonight Show" may well end up being the last.

President Obama, in his taping with Jay Leno Thursday afternoon, attempted to yuk it up with the funnyman, and ended up insulting the disabled.

Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute appearance, the president talked about how he's gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

He bowled a 129, the president said.

"That's very good, Mr. President," Leno said sarcastically.

It's "like the Special Olympics or something," the president said.

When asked about the remark, the White House said the president did not intend to offend.

"The president made an off-hand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics," White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton said. "He thinks the Special Olympics is a wonderful program that gives an opportunity for people with disabilities from around the world."

Facing tough questions about the performance of his Treasury Secretary, $165 million in bonuses for AIG officials and anticipating a fight over his $3.55 trillion budget, the president has not had a particularly good week, and it's unlikely this will help matters.

- jpt

Meh.....as somebody who has a special olympian living under my roof this doesn't really "offend" me persay, but then again I'm not a good barometer because nothing offends me.

What would be more offending would be if the president cuts my brothers funding.....

Thats great Inspecta. Not everyone knows that under your shirt there is a big S that is tattooed underneath all that fur.

Gotcha Superman!

I'm more offended that he was on the mother-fcuking Tonight Show, than the statement.

1st, his bracket selections, now he's pal-ing around with Leno.

The economy can wait. :rolleyes:

How about you get to work you slimey piece of shit.

Can somebody remind him that he won the election. Campaign season is over you pile of crap.

Actually, the more I think about it, the further he is from doing any actual work on the economy, the better off we might be....

Too bad for all of us, that Obama's ability to manipulate people marxist-style isn't going to help

him solve problems.

Seems like he is only going to make current problems works or create new ones worse than the problems we have now.

blech.

You might want to watch the interview in it's entirety, Retard republicans.

He was lights-out perfect the whole time other than the one slip of the tongue, which was muffled by laughter in the audience so I didn't even think anyone caught it. Not excusing it, it was a pretty big blunder and a bit surprising to here a president joke like that. But he was awesome other than that moment. He had intelligent explanations about Madoff, AIG, the banking crisis, etc. It would have been nice to see Governer Bush be able to speak that intelligently (other than the obvious special olympics comment) in such an informal setting once in eight years.

I'm not in the car yet, but I'm wondering what Rush's show as about today. I'm guessing Obama's fascist movement of putting special olympians in concentration camps?

You might want to watch the interview in it's entirety, Retard republicans.

He was lights-out perfect the whole time other than the one slip of the tongue, which was muffled by laughter in the audience so I didn't even think anyone caught it. Not excusing it, it was a pretty big blunder and a bit surprising to here a president joke like that. But he was awesome other than that moment. He had intelligent explanations about Madoff, AIG, the banking crisis, etc. It would have been nice to see Governer Bush be able to speak that intelligently (other than the obvious special olympics comment) in such an informal setting once in eight years.

I'm not in the car yet, but I'm wondering what Rush's show as about today. I'm guessing Obama's fascist movement of putting special olympians in concentration camps?

And you might want to get his bowling pin out of your mouth long enough to understand that anyone with half a brain understands the Spec. Olympics comment was just a gaffe, but is more concerned that Obama is still on his campaign tour.

more concerned that Obama is still on his campaign tour.

Oh please. Obama still has a LONG way to go to topple the record of the esteemed Mr. Bush.

President Bush recently spent his 879th day at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, since the Supreme Court, in all its great wisdom, elevated him to the presidency. This according to NPR's "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me," which noted that Bush broke former President Reagan's record for taking vacations from the White House.rIt's interesting to recall, all these wild years later, that George W. Bush did not decide to buy the ranch near Crawford until after he decided to run for president. Apparently, after Ronald Reagan's example, it seemed presidential to cut brush on a ranch, and Bush was seeking a brush with history. Or something.

via here.

Oh please. Obama still has a LONG way to go to topple the record of the esteemed Mr. Bush.

via here.

Perhaps. But weren't we supposed to be getting "change" from that MO?

He's got even further to go if he wants to convince me he's any different than the last regime.

mz the pussy, is quoting a rabid leftwing zealot. That should be the end of mz the pussy dissing other's sources:

But his second quote, from Beau Elliot? Elliot is a weasel. A former student editor? ROF,L.

http://state29.blogspot.com/2007/10/beau-elliot-is-liar.html

Beau Elliot Is A Liar

Beau Elliot at the Daily Iowan:

Recently (Sept. 26) on The Rush's radio program, as Media Matters for America and the blog The Horse's Mouth report, a caller complained that antiwar people don't talk to so-called "real soldiers," they only talk to the antiwar soldiers who "come up out of the blue and talk to the media."

And The Rush said, "The phony soldiers."

No, really.

This from a guy who served about as much time in the Vietnam War as Dick Cheney and George W. Bush combined.

For those of you still keeping score, that would be zero minutes, zero seconds. That's the great thing about most of these right-wing guys; they seem to love sending other people off to war, but they never go themselves. I guess, in Cheney's infamous words, they have better things to do.

As Media Matters reports, two of the seven 82nd Airborne soldiers who wrote the famous antiwar op-ed in the Aug. 19 New York Times were killed in Baghdad on Sept. 10.

But in Limbaugh's world, they were "phony soldiers."

Beau Elliot is a rabid, far-left sheep, so this is par for the course for him. Elliot would rather get on his knees and devour what Media Matters has to say rather than look into what all the brouhaha is about:

I want to thank you, Mike, for calling. I appreciate it very much. I gotta — Here is a morning update that we did recently, talking about fake soldiers. This is a story of who the left props up as heroes. And they have their celebrities. One of them was Army Ranger Jesse Macbeth. Now — and he was a corporal. I say in quotes. Twenty-three years old. What made Jesse Macbeth a hero to the anti-war crowd wasn’t his Purple Heart, it wasn’t his being affiliated with posttraumatic stress disorder from tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. No. What made Jesse Macbeth, Army Ranger, a hero to the left was his courage, in their view, off the battlefield, without regard to consequences, he told the world the abuses he had witnessed in Iraq. American soldiers killing unarmed civilians, hundreds of men, women, even children. In one gruesome account, translated into Arabic and spread widely across the Internet, Army Ranger Jesse Macbeth describes the horrors this way. We would burn their bodies. We would hang their bodies from the rafters in the mosque. Now, recently, Jesse Macbeth, poster boy for the anti-war left, had his day in court. And you know what? He was sentenced to five months in jail and three years probation for falsifying a Department of Veterans Affairs claim and his Army discharge record. He was in the Army, Jesse Macbeth was in the Army, folks, briefly. Forty-four days before he washed out of boot camp, Jesse Macbeth isn’t an Army Ranger, never was. He isn’t a corporal, never was. He never won the Purple Heart. And he was never in combat to witness the horrors he claimed to have seen. Probably haven’t even heard about this. And if you have, you haven’t heard much about it. This doesn’t fit the narrative and the template in the Drive-By Media and the Democrat Party as to who a genuine war hero; don’t look for any retractions, by the way. Not from the anti-war left, the anti-military Drive-By Media, or the Arabic websites that spread Jesse Macbeth’s lies about our troops, because the truth for the left is, fiction is what serves their purpose. They have to lie about such atrocities because they can’t find any that fit the template of the way they see the US military. In other words, for the American anti-war left, the greatest inconvenience they face is the truth.

Limbaugh wasn't calling the 82nd Airborne soldiers liars. He was calling Jesse Macbeth a liar. Why? Because Jesse Macbeth lied!

Beau Elliot has to lie to make his point.

It's amazing to watch the far-left go absolutely beserk.

They're so consumed with Bush-hatred that they'll ignore the fact that Moveon.org supporters Tom Harkin and Hitlery Clinton voted to confirm General Petraeus on January 26, 2006. If Petraeus was such a yes-man and lapdog for the Bush Administration, then why didn't they vote against his confirmation?

Then there's Tom Harkin, who lied about his own service during Vietnam. They ignore that, too. Why? Because, well, ummmmmmm (shuffle feet), Bush didn't go to Vietnam, Cheney got a bunch of deferments and Limbaugh was 4F.

It's also interesting to note that the lamestream media in Iowa failed to cover the Harkin-Limbaugh dust-up, despite being all Drudgeworthy yesterday. The only paper that seemed to cover it in any regards was the Daily Idiot, and only then by a rabid Kossack buttboy who had to knowingly lie to make his point.

Good luck, Beau Elliot, once you eventually graduate. You're not exactly employable as a journalist right now. Who would hire your ass? I guess somebody has to cook my french fries.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

Maria Shriver says laughing at such comments "hurts millions of people throughout the world."

No, Adim, Maria Shriver is not a Republican.

Oh cal. I was merely linking to show the number of vacation days W took. Nothing more, nothing less. But I do enjoy you took all that time to research something other than Al Gore.

Did you learn anything of interest you'd care to share with the class?

Leg, are you serious with your outrage or are you hamming it up a bit?

I didn't think I'd have to explain to you of all people that the president's job is far bigger than crafting policy all day long.

Remember FDR and his fireside chats? Would you say he was wasting his time talking to the public, reassuring them, educating them, just plain talking to them?

It appears to me that Obama is emulating that model. He goes on the safe late night show with the affable, vanilla host that "regular" people love. He talks some business, he laughs a bit, he tries to reassure people.

It's not about campaigning anymore, it's about reaching out to people. It's about building trust and ultimately it's about keeping people off the proverbial ledge.

In short, he's doing what he does best: he's being himself and getting people to like and trust him. Not a bad thing, really. (Assuming he can actually do some good things with all that support.)

On the comment: it was a mistake, obviously, but way more innocent than the things the critics on here say about him and others on a regular basis. What's that story about casting stones again?

Leg, are you serious with your outrage or are you hamming it up a bit?

I didn't think I'd have to explain to you of all people that the president's job is far bigger than crafting policy all day long.

Remember FDR and his fireside chats? Would you say he was wasting his time talking to the public, reassuring them, educating them, just plain talking to them?

It appears to me that Obama is emulating that model. He goes on the safe late night show with the affable, vanilla host that "regular" people love. He talks some business, he laughs a bit, he tries to reassure people.

It's not about campaigning anymore, it's about reaching out to people. It's about building trust and ultimately it's about keeping people off the proverbial ledge.

In short, he's doing what he does best: he's being himself and getting people to like and trust him. Not a bad thing, really. (Assuming he can actually do some good things with all that support.)

On the comment: it was a mistake, obviously, but way more innocent than the things the critics on here say about him and others on a regular basis. What's that story about casting stones again?

No, I was pretty serious. Although, I like your take.

I just find Leno & Espn to be a poor choice of venue. There's a lovely oval office for this. Crank up the fireplace, put on your house shoes & Mr. Rogers sweater and make it as vanilla as it needs to be. Invite Leno over, or Lauer, or Gibson, or whomever you're comfortable with.

If it truly is about reaching out to people, then sit down and be a human being for 5 minutes. Leno was schtick, as was ESPN. These guys get so set on their "campaign" (whether if its before or after the election makes no difference) that they can't just look at the camera, or look at the host, etc. and just say "oops." One time.

It's not even about the Spec. O. comment. Put the cue cards away and just talk to us. We're adults. We also think we are pretty fcuking great people too, so you don't need to remind us - we'll be the 1st to tell you how great we are. Here's what's going on with the bailouts, here's how I think it will help. The problem is they jerk us around so much with the deceit that they can't even remember what story to feed us anymore, but they're in luck because our attention span is shorter than theirs is. Don't fcuking lie to me that you had no idea AIG was paying bonuses & then pretend to be appalled by it. Just tell us why they need to be paid to be retained because they are in a specialized field that could possibly begin to fix some problems.

Unless you can't be honest with us, because you truly intend on sticking it in the public's ass to save your* own.

*All of Washington.

Teachers are all Liberal slime, so why would I be in the corner... mz the pussy

I don't know, and please don't tell me. :rolleyes:

And you might want to get his bowling pin out of your mouth long enough to understand that anyone with half a brain understands the Spec. Olympics comment was just a gaffe, but is more concerned that Obama is still on his campaign tour.

He's on his campaign tour?

You're serious?

He's probably spent more time actually working in the oval office in just over 60 days than Bush did in the average year.

I think Bush never did informal social events because he didn't want to be stuck in a situation where he didn't have a respone for 6 minutes...

You're serious?

He's probably spent more time actually working in the oval office in just over 60 days than Bush did in the average year.

I think Bush never did informal social events because he didn't want to be stuck in a situation where he didn't have a respone for 6 minutes...

Damn, Dog the dick hunter is in a corner, looks like you lost junior! Your Prez is sucking! And you got to bring up Bush, who at least made this country safe from the terrorists that Clintoon let in! LMAO!

Attacks on George Bush's watch: 1

Attacks on Barack Obama's watch and Bill Clinton's watch combined: 0

Don't be so angry at me expressing my opinion, DieHard. After all, you put your life on the line for my freedom of speech. Thanks, monkey boy.

You're serious?

Working on his 7-10 pick-up, apparently.

So Jay & Barry are going to fix the economy? Barry's bracket is going to stimulate gambling the economy?

Yawn. Wake me up when he's the 1st black president to do whatever is next on the itinerary where he feels it necessary to throw a party for himself.

Don't be so angry at me expressing my opinion, DieHard. After all, you put your life on the line for my freedom of speech. Thanks, monkey boy.

R your fcking kidding me? You're putting the tol on ole Bush when he had all of 8 months in office before the attack took place? B/C you're right there's no way that such an attack would take any more than 3 or 4 months to plan so it must be all on Bush. And the fact that the military and intel under Clinton had been cut in half had nothing to do with it I bet.

Largest first 50 day stock drop in US history on Obammy's watch.

WSS

Archived