THE BROWNS BOARD

"Play like a Brown"

"Play like a Brown" has meaning with this head coach. That is all that matters to me. Pettine is holding players accountable, instilling discipline and determined to bring a winning culture and mentality to Cleveland. I would advise younger fans to do what Pettine has told the players, to break off the rear view mirror and start looking ahead. OBF

Most reasonable people would prefer to be driving forwards, instead of

driving backwards.

I think you have to be a motivational coach to be a great coach. Marty Schottenheimer was one of my favorite former Browns coaches. It doesn't surprise me he is listed as number 4 in the top 10 motivational coaches. Marty had his problems winning play off games but he turned losing teams into winning teams wherever he went.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810aebd9/Top-Ten-Motivational-Coaches-Marty-Schottenheimer

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's always worry when you haven't had a winning season in 7 seasons. This time of year I always feel slightly optimistic. I love what the franchise is doing in the trenches. Still believe there is a gaping hole at QB, a missing playmaker at WR/TE and wish Dansby was more like Singletary/Lewis in his ability to run to the line of scrimmage and put a thumpin' on someone. Regardless of my doom and gloom attitude I start every season as a clean slate.

There's only worry if your front office doesn't have a philosophy and a plan. Not the case today.

There's only worry when you remain stuck on pause with 4-5 wins a year. We nearly doubled our wins from 2014 while losing late leads and tie scores to 5 playoff teams (Balt twice, Indy, Carolina and Pitt). When has it ever required a full 60 minutes to beat the teams put together by our previous front offices? Much different today.

Gaping hole at QB wasn't the case when Chicago gave McCown a steady does of 3rd and short via the running game. Take a look at what our philosophy and plan up top did to strengthen our running game the last 2 years. For starters, how about understanding how important Alex Mack is before understanding we might want to get something close to Steinbach inside of Joe Thomas again. That's how an undrafted RB like Crow can average 5.2 yards per carry for a stretch of games.

The last time this team won 7 games in 2001, we went 9-7 and made the playoffs just 1 year later. Couch actually got hurt in our last game vrs Atlanta so we had to count on Kelly Holcomb. William Green rushed for something Like 164 yards that day while we erased a deficit. Having said that, the reason we couldn't KEEP a big second half lead IN the playoff was because we could only rush for about 30 yards on a day our backup QB threw for 429 yards. That's why people only remember Northcutt dropping the game winning TD as well as the game clinching INT that bounced off Anthony Henry's chest. Reality was if we could have RUSHED for just 1 first down, Pittsburgh would have burned their final timeout. Instead, the dropped passes stopping the clock was a reminder you have to be balanced. This year, we rathoused the Steelers 31-10 and boat-raced Cincy 24-3 before our injury volume reached absurdity.

Ozzie never really played TE. He was a WR in Alabama; and he certainly wasn't here to help set the edge or block anybody. This year, we can go the traditional TE route and get some good blocking from the position. That said, we signed 2 different FA WRs that are both 6'2" (like Ozzie) and will be asked to block people just as frequently as Ozzie did. I USED to think I missed the guy here; but he's sleeping with the enemy that wants to keep this franchise buried.

The bottom half of our active roster in 2015 promises to be twice as good as the one we had last year. Then again, we're 2 years removed from a front office in chaos. That's refreshing!

Since it's Mother's day, I'll end this with what I just watched unfold at CVS yesterday. There was a chubby little red haired kid that wanted a toy. His mother said no and he just wasn't having any of that. He went Linkin Park decibel level on the protest until he got 100% of everyone's attention in the store. The poor mother immediately lost her will to fight that in an era where a simple backhand in front of witnesses gets child protective services involved at warped speed. Where was all this when I was growing up? I got the backhand in the store, the belt at home while some other kid ended up with the toy I wanted. Anyway, the smart little feller (and future Enron CEO) got exactly what he wanted because of his public fuss that his mother fed.

"Play like a Brown" has meaning with this head coach. That is all that matters to me. Pettine is holding players accountable, instilling discipline and determined to bring a winning culture and mentality to Cleveland. I would advise younger fans to do what Pettine has told the players, to break off the rear view mirror and start looking ahead.

Exactamente Amigo!

Euphemisms are like your bowels. Every once in awhile, you crap something out, and then go back into dormancy.

People get all worked about the fine history and tradition of the Browns, IF they are old enough to remember it, OR if they have a Dad, or close friend who knows about the good old days. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in those times, but time waits for no man. This is 2015, not 1975 and not 1955.

The more educated, and passionate Browns fans, like the folks who come here, hate the bandwagon fan, and get royally pissed when younger fans scoff at the idea of the Browns being one of the better franchises of all time. But let's not be hypocrites.

When you buy a new car, would you sit and listen to the salesman ramble on and on about how great the 1936 Buick Moon Rider was? Do you even care about that shit?

When you go see a science fiction movie, do you really give a shit how they used to make flying saucers in 1928 films? Of course not.

The phrase "Play Like A Brown" really is more of a self-deprecating Euphemism than it is a compliment. If someone under 30 taulnted you and asked "who is someone who played like a Brown" - what the fuck are you going to say? Tim Couch? Johnny Manziel? William Green? Spit out Jim Brown, Hickerson, Kelly, and you might as well talk to your balls.

"Play Like a Man" is more suitable, "Play Like a Brown" is something a jackoff would say.

Folks, some of us that have been here long enough remember Ghoolie's lectures of how important Gene Hickerson was and the oline in particular. When he showed up in another screen name to drop the gloves and take on his Ghoolie persona at center ice - the entertainment factor was second to none and it was FREE. Nobody better at turning a football topic into a lost Jerry Springer episode. He's a riot!

That was so funny it inspired somebody to show up in a screen name that read Vettedawg32b to take on VetteDawg32 in an unforgettable throwdown full of sucker punches and F-bombs to remind us how far away from Walt Disney Productions we were. Don't ask me how I can remember stuff like this when I rarely ever remember the Warden asking me to take the garbage out 10 minutes ago... The scary thing about that is I'm probably the one with the hook in my mouth as I'm explaining what's different with this front office to a screen name "BaconHound" that was so good at captivating everyone's attention in here. I can almost hear Ghoolie laughing out "that Dumb Ass Flugel loves that "Bacon" bait." I should have realized Elvis made "Hound" a pretty important term in Memphis, TN where Ghoolie resides so stay tuned where-ever this thread may go.

Since it's Mother's Day, and there's a lot of young guys in here that have either been recently married or are about to be - I have some very critical advice. The most important 2 word phrase after "I do" is "yes dear". If you sprinkle in a little "that looks HOT" every once in a while - that doesn't hurt either.

As you were...

reminds me of my groomal shower. Well, they always had bridal showers, so, I invented

the groomal shower, much to the amusement of all the ladies and wives ...

so, I got all sorts of fishing lures, a tackle box, drill bits, drill, it was great. And all the married guys

gave me advice.

One friend gave me the advice I'll never forget - well, his Wife was very...eh....assertive about everything.

And he said:

"We have a great Christian marriage. I am the head of our household, and I make all the big decisions, and she

is from my rib, and she makes all the small decisions. Thank God I never had any big decision to make....."

The whole room went berserk laughin at that one.

There's only worry if your front office doesn't have a philosophy and a plan. Not the case today.

There's only worry when you remain stuck on pause with 4-5 wins a year. We nearly doubled our wins from 2014 while losing late leads and tie scores to 5 playoff teams (Balt twice, Indy, Carolina and Pitt). When has it ever required a full 60 minutes to beat the teams put together by our previous front offices? Much different today.

Gaping hole at QB wasn't the case when Chicago gave McCown a steady does of 3rd and short via the running game. Take a look at what our philosophy and plan up top did to strengthen our running game the last 2 years. For starters, how about understanding how important Alex Mack is before understanding we might want to get something close to Steinbach inside of Joe Thomas again. That's how an undrafted RB like Crow can average 5.2 yards per carry for a stretch of games.

The last time this team won 7 games in 2001, we went 9-7 and made the playoffs just 1 year later. Couch actually got hurt in our last game vrs Atlanta so we had to count on Kelly Holcomb. William Green rushed for something Like 164 yards that day while we erased a deficit. Having said that, the reason we couldn't KEEP a big second half lead IN the playoff was because we could only rush for about 30 yards on a day our backup QB threw for 429 yards. That's why people only remember Northcutt dropping the game winning TD as well as the game clinching INT that bounced off Anthony Henry's chest. Reality was if we could have RUSHED for just 1 first down, Pittsburgh would have burned their final timeout. Instead, the dropped passes stopping the clock was a reminder you have to be balanced. This year, we rathoused the Steelers 31-10 and boat-raced Cincy 24-3 before our injury volume reached absurdity.

Ozzie never really played TE. He was a WR in Alabama; and he certainly wasn't here to help set the edge or block anybody. This year, we can go the traditional TE route and get some good blocking from the position. That said, we signed 2 different FA WRs that are both 6'2" (like Ozzie) and will be asked to block people just as frequently as Ozzie did. I USED to think I missed the guy here; but he's sleeping with the enemy that wants to keep this franchise buried.

The bottom half of our active roster in 2015 promises to be twice as good as the one we had last year. Then again, we're 2 years removed from a front office in chaos. That's refreshing!

Since it's Mother's day, I'll end this with what I just watched unfold at CVS yesterday. There was a chubby little red haired kid that wanted a toy. His mother said no and he just wasn't having any of that. He went Linkin Park decibel level on the protest until he got 100% of everyone's attention in the store. The poor mother immediately lost her will to fight that in an era where a simple backhand in front of witnesses gets child protective services involved at warped speed. Where was all this when I was growing up? I got the backhand in the store, the belt at home while some other kid ended up with the toy I wanted. Anyway, the smart little feller (and future Enron CEO) got exactly what he wanted because of his public fuss that his mother fed.

I hope you are right, I really do.

So people that like the phrase "Play Like A Brown"... what about phrases from other teams you may not like? (ex, Michigan Man)

Do you like the idea of both phrases, and what they stand for? Or do you just like the one that represents your team, and not the one that doesnt?

So people that like the phrase "Play Like A Brown"... what about phrases from other teams you may not like? (ex, Michigan Man)

Do you like the idea of both phrases, and what they stand for? Or do you just like the one that represents your team, and not the one that doesnt?

Michigan Man is dumb. That's is why I do not like it.

Next question.

I have always liked the motto of the Raiders, "Committment to Excellence"

"Commitment to Excellence" comes from a quote of Vince Lombardi, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”

I have always liked the motto of the Raiders, "Committment to Excellence"

"Commitment to Excellence" comes from a quote of Vince Lombardi, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”

A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

I like "Play Like a Brown" just fine. In another post someone asked about other teams motto's and Commitment to Excellence came to mind.

no they just have lame slogans for themselves. lol.

It was fan-made. You should really get your hatred for Johnny checked out by a professional. I'm sorry if he flicked you off once or something.

Well something has to change. I saw NFL Network do a program on top 10 snakebit franchises this morning. At least the Browns are #1 at something, no matter how dubious the honor. :lol:

The Browns have had more than their share of bad breaks but sometimes I think they get played up more in Cleveland. Just this last season I don't think anything the Browns ever did could match how badly the Packers gave away their play off game to Seattle. Then Seattle returned the favor with giving the Super Bowl to the Patriots with the interception at the goal line.

I think one of the things that needs to change is to quit looking back. I don't see either the Packers or the Seahawks dwelling on those losses for decades but putting those losses behind them and going forward. Pettine seems to be saying the same thing when he tells the players to break off the rear view mirror and look forward.

We don't have any lame slogans for our players. I didn't mention A&M. You argue against things that no one has stated.

What about "Farmers Fight"?

Look through the thread I didn't say that don't count just that for me what happened 60 years ago doesn't mean shit to me, sorry. I acknowledge that they exist.

I have said over and over and over again on here that the ONLY titles that "Count" ...that really mean anything to the current day are the last one and the next one. Everything else is just history. So, the fact is, the 2013 Seattle Seahawks championship does not count a cabbage farts worth more than the 1920 Akron Pros title.

So there is your lesson for the Day: Hail to the Champion Patriots. Now lets bring on the challenge to them.

The most important Michigan Man ever....the guy that invented the phrase, was a Buckeye. Of course you knew that..

The most applicable Lombardi saying to these Browns? "Its all about blocking and tackling"........and that is what the Browns drafted for...to be the best blocking and tackling team they could be.

And that's a good thing.

The Browns have had more than their share of bad breaks but sometimes I think they get played up more in Cleveland. Just this last season I don't think anything the Browns ever did could match how badly the Packers gave away their play off game to Seattle. Then Seattle returned the favor with giving the Super Bowl to the Patriots with the interception at the goal line.

I think one of the things that needs to change is to quit looking back. I don't see either the Packers or the Seahawks dwelling on those losses for decades but putting those losses behind them and going forward. Pettine seems to be saying the same thing when he tells the players to break off the rear view mirror and look forward.

OK, if the Seahawks and the Packers have had one or two "bad deals" that still does not compare to the litany of bad breaks the Browns have had. Not really.

Archived