THE BROWNS BOARD

"Play like a Brown"

You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.

There should be one that says you can't just jump around and choose new teams too root for just because they're winning though.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be one that says you can't just jump around and choose new teams too root for just because they're winning though.

I agree and that's why I've bee a Browns fan through the drive, the fumble and the tire fire that started in 99

You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.

No, but there is the Law of Natural Selection that says survival of the fittest and that FRAKs are the weakest link that will be stampeded into the ground.

Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?

I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.

I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.

Well, none of us like the shit storm that has been happening post 99. And maybe the slogan is a gimmick....and inspires little. That is not my issue with you. I basically agree with all that.

But you said "Pre Super Bowl titles don't count". That was my issue. Are you retracting that comment?

The slogan isn't a mantra to excite like Shottenheimer's "the gleam" silliness.

It's more just a descriptive term of what Farmer and Pettine and co. are looking for

as far as the kind of players they want to build the team with.

I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.

you know where the door is.

bye bye. have a nice day. drive safe.

grab a cookie on the way out.

Well, none of us like the shit storm that has been happening post 99. And maybe the slogan is a gimmick....and inspires little. That is not my issue with you. I basically agree with all that.

But you said "Pre Super Bowl titles don't count". That was my issue. Are you retracting that comment?

Never said they didn't count. Concerning franchise success, for me, not making a SuperBowl is a bigger deal then dominating 60 years ago. Four teams have never made a Superbowl Cleveland, Detroit, Houston and Jacksonville. Two expansion teams and 2 legacy teams. So if we are looking at where the Browns stack up in the NFL as an organization they are closest to the Lions. Lions had 4 Championships in the 50s and 2 playoff births since 99. Not happy about the lack of success but it's true. I hope the current regime turns it around.

Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?

Perhaps the issue is that in his entire lifetime the dude has not seen confetti fall on the orange and brown or watched a championship parade down Euclid Ave. and you think he should shut up and be happy with some NFL Championships won over 50yrs ago... championships that he could only read about in history books.

If clinging to those NFL Championships help you and others cope with all the losing in the modern day NFL then more power to you, but I don't think you should expect other loyal Browns fans to feel the same or accuse them of not being true Browns fans.

The Browns need a Super Bowl win badly.

It would help elevate their NFL Championships to the level where you could boast about them without looking silly.

Considering both the Seahags, and my lowly Buccaneers both possess a Lombardi trophies, I'd say that's an accurate statement...

I grew up watching the Browns thru the Groza, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield, Frank Ryan etc etc eras..

Play like a Brown makes perfect sense to me..

Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment.

Dude .. it happened.

Paul Brown really existed.

Otto Graham walked this earth.

And Jim Brown is not only still alive, but he can probably kick your fat-ass bacon-eating self.

It doesn't matter when you were born .... the accomplishments of the Cleveland browns are real and can never be taken away or diminished.

We are all aware of where we stand compared to teams of the last 10, 20, 25 years ... but you should still be proud of our history.

Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle. You're just a fuckstick. So you will enjoy it, but not "get" it ... because it is all about you and what you are "owed".

Zombo

Dude .. it happened.

Paul Brown really existed.

Otto Graham walked this earth.

And Jim Brown is not only still alive, but he can probably kick your fat-ass bacon-eating self.

It doesn't matter when you were born .... the accomplishments of the Cleveland browns are real and can never be taken away or diminished.

We are all aware of where we stand compared to teams of the last 10, 20, 25 years ... but you should still be proud of our history.

Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle. You're just a fuckstick. So you will enjoy it, but not "get" it ... because it is all about you and what you are "owed".

Zombo

Classic stuff!

Here we are on an awesome message board where someone needs to be convinced the Browns and their history are worth his time. It's almost as if there was zero understanding that the team that got moved was only 1 year removed from an 11-5 season plus 1 playoff win. That took 4 years to buildup even with a staff like Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz, Ozzie Newsome, etc.

When we finally got a team back here with a rookie ownership - the biggest immediate challenge became finding somebody with the right resume plus a big enough nutsack to be our next Head Coach. The next biggest challenge was finding the right front office personnel that could not only identify the right QB to invest in but also select the right teammates and weapons to surround him with. The only outrageous thing we didn't see was a QB with Tourette's syndrome getting flagged for F-bombs during the cadence.

While we're still having trouble finding a football messiah at the QB position, we finally have the right HC and Front Office in place. Their play like a Brown philosophy morphed a 4-12 football team into a 7-9 team (despite one of the biggest injury volumes we've seen) in just 1 year. The competitive bar was raised to an extent that if anyone was going to beat this team, it was going to take all 60 minutes to do so. The few fans that need "poor me" attention will tell us it doesn't matter that we had 2nd half leads on teams like Baltimore, Indy, Carolina, and Buffalo while teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh had to break tie games with a FG as time expired. Not that we should have to explain how much a team coming off 4-12 football in 2013 could afford the volume of injury/disability; but we had a 6-3 record before it got FUBAR. Within that span, an undrafted rookie RB (Crow) was sporting an average of 5.2 yards per carry.

The 2nd off-season of "Play Like a Brown" has addressed the situation quite admirably. In the process, they also made this a much easier team to QB moving forward. Like Pettine says - placing your QB in short yardage situations on 3rd downs makes every conversion far more doable. Furthermore, when our defense plays the way we expect it to - it makes our QB's margin of error even friendlier. This year we're equipped to win some of those close games even if we gotta do it by accident. Just remember the next time you read national media types forecasting doom and gloom here - how many of those same squids wanted in on our 6-3 story in 2014. I got their football Shakespeare right here!

Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle.

Zombo

Key word above is the word "loyalty". We older folks were raised in a time when loyalty was the norm. In most cases, players retired from the Team for which they began. You just never wavered in your support of your Team & it's players. We didn't question them. Sadly, many younger fans today haven't seen that type of devotion & loyalty. Everything today seems "disposable" with owners, management, coaches & players seldom on the same page, and while there ARE younger loyal fans, their numbers are dwindling. It's no longer a "Team first" culture, but more "Me first" & "What have you done for me lately?".

I see "Play like a Brown" as recreating a culture of loyaly, TEAM, & players who really WANT to be Cleveland Browns.

Mike

Never said they didn't count. Concerning franchise success, for me, not making a SuperBowl is a bigger deal then dominating 60 years ago. Four teams have never made a Superbowl Cleveland, Detroit, Houston and Jacksonville. Two expansion teams and 2 legacy teams. So if we are looking at where the Browns stack up in the NFL as an organization they are closest to the Lions. Lions had 4 Championships in the 50s and 2 playoff births since 99. Not happy about the lack of success but it's true. I hope the current regime turns it around.

I think that is exactly what you said "they don't count".

No one knows more than I....and a few others around here about the Browns history the last 50 years since their last title in 1964. I have lived through every minute of it. You have been around for what? less than half that time. So don't lecture to us about that shit. (and the Lions won 3...not 4 titles in the 50s.

Perhaps the issue is that in his entire lifetime the dude has not seen confetti fall on the orange and brown or watched a championship parade down Euclid Ave. and you think he should shut up and be happy with some NFL Championships won over 50yrs ago... championships that he could only read about in history books.

Obviously you have that wrong. I never said that he should be happy...as I said earlier he probably hasn't been around half the time I have to witness what has happened. And it isn't an issue of being "happy" with titles won 50+ years ago. I am not happy we haven't won in 50 years It was an issue of him saying that they don't count.

A lot of shit happened before I was born...that doesn't mean it didn't count. (you know....like 40 years of losing Steeler football...that counted too)

If clinging to those NFL Championships help you and others cope with all the losing in the modern day NFL then more power to you, but I don't think you should expect other loyal Browns fans to feel the same or accuse them of not being true Browns fans.

Again, it is not clinging....it is simply acknowledging. Steeler fans still "cling" to the titles won way back in the 1970s...even though they won a couple since.

I think that is exactly what you said "they don't count".

No one knows more than I....and a few others around here about the Browns history the last 50 years since their last title in 1964. I have lived through every minute of it. You have been around for what? less than half that time. So don't lecture to us about that shit. (and the Lions won 3...not 4 titles in the 50s.

Look through the thread I didn't say that don't count just that for me what happened 60 years ago doesn't mean shit to me, sorry. I acknowledge that they exist.

history means nothing to you.

if for people like you we'd be speaking german and sipping cocktails with 3rd reich swizzle sticks.

man they should start up the draft, again.

You are bat shit crazy.

There is modern history and ancient history. The Browns success, in the context of professional football, is ancient history.

The only outrageous thing we didn't see was a QB with Tourette's syndrome getting flagged for F-bombs during the cadence.

High point of a high level post...

The only outrageous thing we didn't see was a QB with Tourette's syndrome getting flagged for F-bombs during the cadence. Flugels

And.... HA ! I left my ice water mug in the other room ! No keyboard damage!

Metaphor

Bacon, you're turning into Todd Philcox in the sense of if someone couldn't kick our ass - he'd do it for them all by himself even if that was the last thing he wanted to do. You're absolutely clobbering yourself.

You're just misplacing a lot of bottled up frustration.Take a standing 8 count. Exhale. Now get yourself back to what you liked in the 80s when our 85 team went 8-8 and evolved into 12-4 just 1 season later. Same foundations were put in place. We established the credible running game first in 1985 (with 2 young RBs rushing for over 1000 yards apiece). In 86, our defense ranked first against the run while Lindy Infante slightly changed the necessity of having 2 RBs going over 1000 yards apiece via getting 128 receptions from our RBs in his version of ball control. Meanwhile, our secondary was very well constructed as it seems to be today.

Same exact plans going on today as we speak all the way down to wanting to involve our RBs more in the passing game. When we get right down to it, our WR Corps was Elizabeth City State's Reggie Langhorne, San Diego State's Webster Slaughter, Boston College's Brian Brennan, Baylor's Ice Cube McNeil and Delaware State's Curtis Weathers. Today's group isn't a whole lot different than that. However, our oline looks like it can be even better than the one we had in the 80s. The only place our 80s offense beat this one was at TE and QB; although we have yet to see what either 2nd year QB can do while we've seen how well McCown played when he had Chicago's running game constantly putting him in 3rd and short.

There's been plenty of years to worry about this franchise being stuck on pause. This isn't one of them.

"Play like a Brown" has meaning with this head coach. That is all that matters to me. Pettine is holding players accountable, instilling discipline and determined to bring a winning culture and mentality to Cleveland. I would advise younger fans to do what Pettine has told the players, to break off the rear view mirror and start looking ahead.

Bacon, you're turning into Todd Philcox in the sense of if someone couldn't kick our ass - he'd do it for them all by himself even if that was the last thing he wanted to do. You're absolutely clobbering yourself.

You're just misplacing a lot of bottled up frustration.Take a standing 8 count. Exhale. Now get yourself back to what you liked in the 80s when our 85 team went 8-8 and evolved into 12-4 just 1 season later. Same foundations were put in place. We established the credible running game first in 1985 (with 2 young RBs rushing for over 1000 yards apiece). In 86, our defense ranked first against the run while Lindy Infante slightly changed the necessity of having 2 RBs going over 1000 yards apiece via getting 128 receptions from our RBs in his version of ball control. Meanwhile, our secondary was very well constructed as it seems to be today.

Same exact plans going on today as we speak all the way down to wanting to involve our RBs more in the passing game. When we get right down to it, our WR Corps was Elizabeth City State's Reggie Langhorne, San Diego State's Webster Slaughter, Boston College's Brian Brennan, Baylor's Ice Cube McNeil and Delaware State's Curtis Weathers. Today's group isn't a whole lot different than that. However, our oline looks like it can be even better than the one we had in the 80s. The only place our 80s offense beat this one was at TE and QB; although we have yet to see what either 2nd year QB can do while we've seen how well McCown played when he had Chicago's running game constantly putting him in 3rd and short.

There's been plenty of years to worry about this franchise being stuck on pause. This isn't one of them.

There's always worry when you haven't had a winning season in 7 seasons. This time of year I always feel slightly optimistic. I love what the franchise is doing in the trenches. Still believe there is a gaping hole at QB, a missing playmaker at WR/TE and wish Dansby was more like Singletary/Lewis in his ability to run to the line of scrimmage and put a thumpin' on someone. Regardless of my doom and gloom attitude I start every season as a clean slate.

"Play like a Brown" has meaning with this head coach. That is all that matters to me. Pettine is holding players accountable, instilling discipline and determined to bring a winning culture and mentality to Cleveland. I would advise younger fans to do what Pettine has told the players, to break off the rear view mirror and start looking ahead.

You betcha!!

Mike

"Play like a Brown" has meaning with this head coach. That is all that matters to me. Pettine is holding players accountable, instilling discipline and determined to bring a winning culture and mentality to Cleveland. I would advise younger fans to do what Pettine has told the players, to break off the rear view mirror and start looking ahead. OBF

Most reasonable people would prefer to be driving forwards, instead of

driving backwards.

Archived