THE BROWNS BOARD

"Play like a Brown"

I hear a few people complaining about the Mantra "Play like a Brown" and to me, this is something I can't really understand. I get tired of hearing people try to devalue this team by just looking at the team (short term) and stating that they haven't been good recently and so its a terrible slogan. But, I disagree, and to me it means to be a winner and this is why...

Baltimore Ravens

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 168-135-1
Playoff Record (all-time) : 15-8 (Last appearance after 2014 season)

Cincinnati Bengals

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 326-395-3
Playoff Record (all-time) : 5-13 (Last appearance after 2014 season)

**Cleveland Browns**

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 505-442-13

Playoff Record (all-time) : 16-20 (Last appearance after 2002 season)

Pittsburgh Steelers

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 580-524-20

Playoff Record (all-time) : 33-22 (Last appearance after 2014 season)

While not having the greatest playoff record, we have still managed to accumulate quite an impressive record, especially considering the woes of the team since its return. I guess my point is that we have a great franchise and to play like a Brown means a lot!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To "Play Like A Brown" somehow got lost after we came back in the league. The font office and coaching changes and poor drafts didn't help. So I understand what Pettine is trying to accomplish. He wants winners. Players who don't give up in the third quarter, bide their time until free agency etc. Pettine has to change the culture of losing that outsiders perceive are the Browns. Just hearing that draftees mothers' don't want their sons to play in Cleveland is an example of how the football world has viewed us over the last decade.

I think this draft was the most important draft for many reasons. Building a team that competes will gain respect. Last year we were on the cusp until injuries marred our season.

Farmer and Pettine stuck to the plan ignoring criticism from so called experts. They didn't "sell the farm" for Mariota and I respect them for it. And we actually drafted quality players who wanted to come here.

Cleveland has a rich football history and it should be an honor to play for the Browns. Pettine has started what may be a new era in Cleveland.

To "Play Like A Brown" somehow got lost after we came back in the league. The font office and coaching changes and poor drafts didn't help. So I understand what Pettine is trying to accomplish. He wants winners. Players who don't give up in the third quarter, bide their time until free agency etc. Pettine has to change the culture of losing that outsiders perceive are the Browns. Just hearing that draftees mothers' don't want their sons to play in Cleveland is an example of how the football world has viewed us over the last decade.

I think this draft was the most important draft for many reasons. Building a team that competes will gain respect. Last year we were on the cusp until injuries marred our season.

Farmer and Pettine stuck to the plan ignoring criticism from so called experts. They didn't "sell the farm" for Mariota and I respect them for it. And we actually drafted quality players who wanted to come here.

Cleveland has a rich football history and it should be an honor to play for the Browns. Pettine has started what may be a new era in Cleveland.

I can see where "play like a Brown" does not have as much meaning to younger fans who have not seen the Browns have much success since coming back in the league in 99. For me it brings up some better memories of earlier Browns teams. As someone else posted it has to start some time and with this coach and GM it is as good as any time to start with a new (old) tradition.

Plus... since this staff thought of it...

It's not as if past regimes have not uttered similar sentiments... they have. However, they never built a prolonged, cohesive effort around that sentiment. This one has... and it is one of the things that sets Pet apart from the the "recent past".

But here's the deal...

Unless there is follow through...

Unless progress to the point of contention under Pet's leadership...

... then it'll die the death of many other slogans.

Personally I like the Pet's odds.

Im warming up to it because it actually serves a purpose rather than just being lame coachspeak.

Attaboy...

It's beginning to catch on with both players and fans and when that kind of culture really takes, it in fact becomes a source of pride for all. And then players try to live up to it every single play. That is when you get the max out of every game and is appreciated regardless of the scoreboard. Eventually though it gets reflected on the scoreboard. This is a fun time to be a new Browns fan (or an old one with new hope).

Does Mike Tomlin have to say, "play like a Steeler" or does Belichick say "play like a Patriot"? It just seems like they are saying we are getting players who come to work a 110%, tough blue collar guys, but here is Johnny Football and Terrance West. Just draft the right fucking players and stop trying to be cheerleaders.

Us over 60 understand what "Play like a Brown" means. We actually saw our team kick ass on a regular basis.

Those nearing 50 probably get it as well. They caught the tail end of the deal and had a older family member school them on the meaning.

We have to work on the twenty and thirty somethings. They don't get it. Their experience has been pretty lackluster.

Us over 60 understand what "Play like a Brown" means. We actually saw our team kick ass on a regular basis.

Those nearing 50 probably get it as well. They caught the tail end of the deal and had a older family member school them on the meaning.

We have to work on the twenty and thirty somethings. They don't get it. Their experience has been pretty lackluster.

Not quite. A 50 yr. old browns fan would have been 1 year old in 1964. You would probably have to be at least 6 in 1964 to remember anything.

I heard a browns fan on the radio a couple years back describe it best, something I'll never forget.....he said to imagine MT. Rushmore with the faces of Paul Brown, Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Lou Groza ...except not pristine, but rather weather beaten and eroded, hardly recognizable.

Unrecognizable as compared to what the browns once were.

Just as the statues have not been maintained, so has the browns tradition not been maintained.

Not quite. A 50 yr. old browns fan would have been 1 year old in 1964. You would probably have to be at least 6 in 1964 to remember anything.

I heard a browns fan on the radio a couple years back describe it best, something I'll never forget.....he said to imagine MT. Rushmore with the faces of Paul Brown, Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Lou Groza ...except not pristine, but rather weather beaten and eroded, hardly recognizable.

Unrecognizable as compared to what the browns once were.

Just as the statues have not been maintained, so has the browns tradition not been maintained.

the young squire throws in the challenge flag.

you will not be long for this world millennial.

Many of us oldtimers recall the days of tired, muddy, bloody players limping off fields after epic battles in the elements. Not out of domes. Those were the days of smash mouth, tough football & that's what we're seeing being built in Cleveland once again...a TEAM of tough, never say die hard-nosed football players & Coaches who will play hard start to finish....BLOCKING, TACKLING,.PLAYING LIKE A BROWN!

To you younger folks who don't remember the glory days, fasten your seatbelts, 'cuz you're in for one hell of a ride, and we're just getting started.

Mike

I was a child but remember Jim Brown's last year and have followed the Browns my whole life. I remember the seventies when the Steelers were dominant. I was at the "Red Right 88" game and cried the whole way home. I remember the "drive" and the "fumble" and Bernie Kosar being let go for Testeverde. I have lived in several cities but have never routed for any other team ever. My child and my nieces and nephews love the Browns and hopefully we will all live to see a winning team again.

Mike Pettine is a step in the right direction and the best coach since Marty Shotenheimer in my opinion. I didn't care for the Play Like a Brown approach at first but now I like it.

I didn't need any schooling..I'm 50... been following the Browns since 1970 :P

Does Mike Tomlin have to say, "play like a Steeler" or does Belichick say "play like a Patriot"? Bacon

Why would Tomlin do that? Oh, he wants his steelers to start taking steriods and taking

cheapshots at opposing teams' star players ?

Buttichek? The Patriots have always played like Patriots, even back in the early days when they

were one of the very worst teams in football.

The Browns had trouble starting up again, and haven't played like they used to play since.

It made a whole lot of sense to me the first time I heard it.

I hear a few people complaining about the Mantra "Play like a Brown" and to me, this is something I can't really understand. I get tired of hearing people try to devalue this team by just looking at the team (short term) and stating that they haven't been good recently and so its a terrible slogan. But, I disagree, and to me it means to be a winner and this is why...

Baltimore Ravens

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 168-135-1

Playoff Record (all-time) : 15-8 (Last appearance after 2014 season)

Cincinnati Bengals

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 326-395-3

Playoff Record (all-time) : 5-13 (Last appearance after 2014 season)

**Cleveland Browns**

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 505-442-13

Playoff Record (all-time) : 16-20 (Last appearance after 2002 season)

Pittsburgh Steelers

Regular Season Record (all-time) : 580-524-20

Playoff Record (all-time) : 33-22 (Last appearance after 2014 season)

While not having the greatest playoff record, we have still managed to accumulate quite an impressive record, especially considering the woes of the team since its return. I guess my point is that we have a great franchise and to play like a Brown means a lot!

Eight Championships....which is more than all the other teams in the AFCN combined. Plus it is more than has ever been won by all the teams in either the AFCS, the NFCS, and is the same as those won by all the teams in the AFCW.

Does Mike Tomlin have to say, "play like a Steeler" or does Belichick say "play like a Patriot"? It just seems like they are saying we are getting players who come to work a 110%, tough blue collar guys, but here is Johnny Football and Terrance West. Just draft the right fucking players and stop trying to be cheerleaders.

Actually, those coaches do do that.

Does Mike Tomlin have to say, "play like a Steeler" or does Belichick say "play like a Patriot"? Bacon

Why would Tomlin do that? Oh, he wants his steelers to start taking steriods and taking

cheapshots at opposing teams' star players ?

Buttichek? The Patriots have always played like Patriots, even back in the early days when they

were one of the very worst teams in football.

The Browns had trouble starting up again, and haven't played like they used to play since.

It made a whole lot of sense to me the first time I heard it.

Man you can be a hater all your life but the Browns don't even come close to being at the level of those organizations, just reality.

Eight Championships....which is more than all the other teams in the AFCN combined. Plus it is more than has ever been won by all the teams in either the AFCS, the NFCS, and is the same as those won by all the teams in the AFCW.

The number that really matters is zero SuperBowls in 49 seasons. Let's be honest the Browns are the Cubs of the NFL a proud organization and fan base that has won shit in forever.

This is how I see it: The Browns do have one of the best fan bases in the NFL. I never saw them as the Cubs of the NFL as the Browns have a great football heritage. They made lots of mistakes since 99 when they came back into the league and the bad reputation is recent history. They have a new owner, GM and HC who are committed to winning. They exceeded expectations last year. I see a team on the way up.

The number that really matters is zero SuperBowls in 49 seasons. Let's be honest the Browns are the Cubs of the NFL a proud organization and fan base that has won shit in forever.

really, cuz i thought they won 7 games last year bitch?

NO fuckstick. That is NOT the number that matters. Only LOSERS make a claim like that.

This is how I see it: The Browns do have one of the best fan bases in the NFL.. I see a team on the way up.

....I see a team on the way up too.....though think the fan base aint what it was back in the day.....

...this is how I see it.....the old Browns had one of the best fans bases in the league....a fan base that loved and supported them through hard times and one that EARNED the right to be called some of the best fans in the league....

NOW, however.....we have added a new generation of jaded fans who cant see the light at the end of the tunnel and...basically....are whiny negative crybabies who wouldn't recognize a good team if it hit them in the face.....WHEN the Browns finally have THAT great season we've all been waiting for, they wont even recognize it till its over......they'll whine and cry through the whole thing, then at the end, say "what happened"???....didnt see that coming....huh?

After more than a decade of losing(thru the 70's) I still remember that utterly amazing 1980 season....the Kardiak Kids....and the thing I remember most is how the city went crazy....and totally enjoyed the whole season.....and how the fans actually had hope and could see the possibilities "as they were happening"...(not after the fact).....By the time they were 7-3, the whole town was on board....people were all wearing Browns colors and flying Browns flags....and we all enjoyed it together....it was insane....

But now....if that were to happen again.....I guarantee the new generation would whine through the whole season...bitching about the few bad players, instead of the good ones.....dwelling on the few losses, instead of the wins......talking about a fumble, instead of enjoying a TD......and waiting for the other shoe to drop, instead of looking forward to the next win.....bitching about the one bad draft pick, instead of appreciating the 4 good ones.....etc etc etc....

So.....good luck to all you neg heads.....because when this team finally wins(and it will)....you wont even see it coming.....and will miss most of the fun.....

....I see a team on the way up too.....though think the fan base aint what it was back in the day.....

...this is how I see it.....the old Browns had one of the best fans bases in the league....a fan base that loved and supported them through hard times and one that EARNED the right to be called some of the best fans in the league....

NOW, however.....we have added a new generation of jaded fans who cant see the light at the end of the tunnel and...basically....are whiny negative crybabies who wouldn't recognize a good team if it hit them in the face.....WHEN the Browns finally have THAT great season we've all been waiting for, they wont even recognize it till its over......they'll whine and cry through the whole thing, then at the end, say "what happened"???....didnt see that coming....huh?

After more than a decade of losing(thru the 70's) I still remember that utterly amazing 1980 season....the Kardiak Kids....and the thing I remember most is how the city went crazy....and totally enjoyed the whole season.....and how the fans actually had hope and could see the possibilities "as they were happening"...(not after the fact).....By the time they were 7-3, the whole town was on board....people were all wearing Browns colors and flying Browns flags....and we all enjoyed it together....it was insane....

But now....if that were to happen again.....I guarantee the new generation would whine through the whole season...bitching about the few bad players, instead of the good ones.....dwelling on the few losses, instead of the wins......talking about a fumble, instead of enjoying a TD......and waiting for the other shoe to drop, instead of looking forward to the next win.....bitching about the one bad draft pick, instead of appreciating the 4 good ones.....etc etc etc....

So.....good luck to all you neg heads.....because when this team finally wins(and it will)....you wont even see it coming.....and will miss most of the fun.....

Mud,

Once again, you hit the nail on the head. I just can't use the word FAN to describe someone as negative as some of these folks are. I find myself wishing they would just give up & find a new interest.

Mike

I had no problem cheering for the most recent Celtics, Bruins and Yankee Championships after they went through periods of down times, don't think I'll have an issue if the Browns ever start winning.

I skew towards the negative when it comes to this team simply because as a 40 year old fan I've witnessed some good play, some heartache but since 1999 this franchise has been horrible. Mik is getting all worked up over a 7-9 season. Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment. Sorry but as a fan, I now that irks some in here, I expect more and I won't settle for the product that we've been given.

If the team improves on the field I'll cheer for them as I did last year but if they go 7-9 again and "play like a Brown". I'll still be Mik's "Whiney Ass Bitch"

I had no problem cheering for the most recent Celtics, Bruins and Yankee Championships after they went through periods of down times, don't think I'll have an issue if the Browns ever start winning.

I skew towards the negative when it comes to this team simply because as a 40 year old fan I've witnessed some good play, some heartache but since 1999 this franchise has been horrible. Mik is getting all worked up over a 7-9 season. Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment. Sorry but as a fan, I now that irks some in here, I expect more and I won't settle for the product that we've been given.

If the team improves on the field I'll cheer for them as I did last year but if they go 7-9 again and "play like a Brown". I'll still be Mik's "Whiney Ass Bitch"

You are proving yourself to be a more diminished human being every time you open your trap. The first paragraph above has you teetering on the brink of being a FRAK....and that is about the worst a non ISIS human being can be. Then you display a certain amount of ignorance. stating apparently that because something didn't happen in your short sweet stupid life that it didn't happen at all. And knowing and acknowledging the fact that the Browns and NE Ohio have all those various titles in no way implies that anyone is willing to "settle" just because they exist. But, the fact is, if the Browns did win a Super Bowl....do you know what that would make it? Simply #14......but yes I would want #s 16-20 shortly after that as well.

You are proving yourself to be a more diminished human being every time you open your trap. The first paragraph above has you teetering on the brink of being a FRAK....and that is about the worst a non ISIS human being can be. Then you display a certain amount of ignorance. stating apparently that because something didn't happen in your short sweet stupid life that it didn't happen at all. And knowing and acknowledging the fact that the Browns and NE Ohio have all those various titles in no way implies that anyone is willing to "settle" just because they exist. But, the fact is, if the Browns did win a Super Bowl....do you know what that would make it? Simply #14......but yes I would want #s 16-20 shortly after that as well.

You are living in circa 1969. The Browns have more in common with the Lions than they do with the Steelers

You are living in circa 1969. The Browns have more in common with the Lions than they do with the Steelers

NO, I just do not have the mindset of a Pittsburgh Steeler fan who think God created the earth, sun, moon, stars in 1970.

You have more in common with a Steeler fan than a Browns fan.

Sometimes a team is just due to catch a break. Our break came when about 6 coaching candidates turned down the head coaching job for the Browns last year and we hired Pettine. We struck gold. We have had many coaches since 99 and some were better than others but I really doubt if any of them were the "right" coach. I think there are some Browns fans who see Pettine as the right coach for the the Browns and he will be successful and we are looking forward while others are still looking back.

Then there is the negative media. I am all for looking for ways to improve the club and addressing areas that we need to improve on but this mindless tearing down the team makes no sense. When fans get bombarded with nothing but negative messages about the Browns it is bound to have an effect and take root.

Archived