THE BROWNS BOARD

Who's next?

Taco918

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I liked Clemmings quite a bit. He was my #2 ranked OT behind Peat. Apparently he's being discounted due to injury. I don't think we need another OT at this point, but as a BPA/ value pick, he'll be hard to pass on.

"T.J.Clemmings: Pitt (02-09-15) vs. Duke/Mia/UVA/VaTech - has kick-drop; latches on; can move; good fire and turn; stays with OG; calm, good decisions; comp level? Can he move to Left side?"

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31919&page=1&do=findComment&comment=478058

As for the rest...

• Don't see a TE, but maybe C.J. Uzomah, TE, Auburn in the 6th.
  • I've little interest in a FB, and less in Fowler... too slow.
  • For ILB I really like KU's Heeney and he could be there in Rnd 5.
Most of all though, I want a QB. Petty is still on the board. There's probably a flaw I can't see, but I like him a lot. I can't see standing pat at QB... and resigning Thiggy doesn't count

Thanks. O'Leary thoughts?

Fowler was converted from RB at Bama so I would say he has game speed.

Fowler ran 4.84 at the Combine and his agility times were not good. I just think we can do better. Matt Jones, a RB who was taken tonite, was my choice to convert to a lead back. I thought he be around another couple rounds.

I don't think O'Leary is athletic enough. He's a gamer, and he is Jack's grandson or some such thing, but other than that... I do not see him beating out any of the three TEs we currently have under contract. Same is likely true of my guy, Uzomah, but mine is bigger taller and faster.

Gotta be a Power Forward sitting around somewhere we can UFA as a real project...

I'd love to see us take a flier on Waller. We need a red zone threat and I have an affinity for GT WR'S.

Other than that, keep solidifying the D, try to gain some more assets for next year, and pick another OL if only to piss off goulie.

Unless Petty or Hundley keep dropping, I'd be completely fine with us waiting for QB until next year.

Tour-We'd have to make Heeney a 4th rounder cause we traded out our 5th.

Crowder, Hardy and Greene are wr's still on the board. Jamison Crowder is the poor man's Tyler Lockett-had a similar role at Duke.

But would one more DE hurt?-I love Trey Flowers Ark.

Collins says he will not sign as a 4-7 so he is out completely as a late round gamble. Sounds too much like smoke/fire anyway.

Where he started at FSU is immaterial. Coaches simply recognized better skill set for the O-line.

No doubt that Cam has improved our O-line depth... whether or not he starts... but that's a competition vs. McDonald and Seymore, not Greco and Schwartz. That's a competition that any first round O-line choice had better be able to win.

The whole "complete line versatility" in one player thing is really getting overblown. First, it's not that rare. Second, it's not that valuable. Good lines with good talent and good depth may shift two other starters to replace one injured starter, and barely skip a beat.

My whole point is I thought I saw more economical ways to get to O-line depth... and I pass rusher...

At most I should only need to vent for another week or so, so bear with me. Then again, maybe I'm better by the end of Day 2...

You're fine. For all the pre-draft research and goodies you contribute to this place - I think you've earned the right to question if there weren't healthier choices available.

I disagree about the versatility thing getting overblown especially walking in our shoes as a fan base. Aside from that, I've seen instances of quite a few guys that couldn't handle 1 role but could provide reliability in another (which is the opposite of versatility). For example, both Tony Mandarach and Robert Gallery were overwhelmed as OTs before settling in as reliable/good OGs. Greco's first few quarters at Center in a fill in role looked like we found our replacement for Mack that easily. Our next opponent had 1 week to identify and exploit any vulnerabilities; and they did that enough for us to see Greco back at Guard the very next game. I DO realize part of that was our replacement at RG was a train wreck from a guy we hoped offered us some position flexibility. As much as a Joel Bitonio comes in makes a smooth transition from OT to OG - guys like Gilkey, Pinkston and Lauvao failed miserably. I don't care what Daniel Snyder wants to pay Lauvao (after thinking the character of Albert Haynesworth was worth of 100 million $) - his inconsistencies from 1 play to the next here were maddening. While there's plenty of examples of former college tackles settling in well at OG - there's plenty more that never made NFL teams or found Poseiden Adventures like Cleveland. Guys like Oneil Cousins don't stick around because they're versatile - they stick around because there's lines like we had in 2013 or Tampa had in 2014 welcoming experience as the lesser of all evils. Been there - done that - rinsed and repeated from 2011 through 2013. The Steinbachs and Bitonios have been rare enough to appreciate.

All that said, moving from Tackle to Guard seems easier than moving from one of those spots to Center (especially when you add in the role of lines calls on play side and back side and it's communication process). While college is different than the NFL like you said - it's still advantageous to have a guy that's made the transition in terms of what I just mentioned.

I'm going to attach the link of the press conference Farmer and Pettine had about our first round picks. In particular, Pettine isn't talking about Erving competing with Seymore and McDonald. He's talking about him competing with our right side for a starting job, which implies we would have drafted somebody else at a different position if such an expectation was felt. I'm taking that to mean they think he has better upside than what we've been going with. We'll see how immediate and accurate that is real soon.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Pettine--Farmer-Creating-An-Identity-Up-Front/4d1c65ac-2c29-41d7-92f6-c03b7cf39942

Most of all though, I want a QB. Petty is still on the board. There's probably a flaw I can't see, but I like him a lot. I can't see standing pat at QB... and resigning Thiggy doesn't count

just saw a live report from berea where the reporter stated the browns will not be drafting a QB and whoever will start at QB will come from someone already in-house.

Today I'm hoping we come out with Stefon Diggs, Tre McBride, or Deandre Smelter for WR

Jesse James, TE

And also Kyle Emmanuel and slide him to ILB

Diggs is one of the few remaining WR's who has the best chance to develop into a 1000+ yard receiver. He never really lived up to his hype coming into college, but he also played for a lot of lack luster QB's at Maryland.

Diggs is one of the few remaining WR's who has the best chance to develop into a 1000+ yard receiver. He never really lived up to his hype coming into college, but he also played for a lot of lack luster QB's at Maryland.

Thanks for sharing that!

I don't know if we'll need any rookie WR to give us 1000 yards; but a WR Corps that needs more TDs and good yards per catch might have some worthy volunteers pissed they haven't been drafted yet. In particular, there's a WR from Central Michigan (Titus Davis) that keeps jumping off the page at me as intrigue for today. He's 196 lbs at 6'1". Here's his numbers against their level of competition:

2011 6 starts 40 rec 751 yds 18.8 ypc 8 TD

2012 12 starts 43 rec 860 yds 20.0 ypc 8 TD

2013 11 starts 61 rec 1109 yds 18.2 ypc 8 TD

2014 10 starts 60 rec 985 yds 16.4 ypc 13 TD

Clemmings, O'Leary, Fowler, ILB tomorrow. Everyone good with that?

Tour, I know Clemmings isn't your favorite by any means, but surely he's good value in rounds 4+, right?

One of the analysts was saying Clemmings got overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl while Donovan Smith from Penn State showed up and pleasantly surprised a lot of NFL teams at the Senior Bowl practices.

I'm kind of glad O'Leary ran his forty like a parked car because I think he's crafty and plays faster than he times for a stopwatch. As the draft analysts for the NFL Channel said - a lot of knuckleheads temporarily working in NFL Front Offices erased an excellent football prospect like Shelton for his 40 time as if film told them zero. There's still enough of that crack pipe logic going around that will place a day 3 bargain like O'Leary on possibly the perfect doorstep. Let's just hope it isn't Pittsburgh's.

Tour - do you think it might be possible they have in mind to put Erving into Bitonio's spot and move him over to RT?

FWIW, I've already heard Pettine recently say they like the established chemistry and continuity on the left side when someone asked a very similar question pre-draft. Try to think of how much Joe Thomas has longed for that type of mutual trust and reliability since Steinbach went under the knife. However, Pettine did go on to say something along the line of "in a world where we don't schedule injuries - it's nice to have a guy like Bitonio. He added he can probably even become a great Center if we needed him to." You can prolly dig that up on the Browns website in the multimedia. It's the same site I linked up his and Farmer's press conference video about our first round in this thread.

There are actually quite a few WR that look promising that could fall. Some are just really solid who will likely be good #3, maybe #2 guys in the NFL. Some have real shots at being solid #1 options. Green from Florida St put up crazy numbers in a pro style system, but he just doesn't jump off the page athletically or physically, Diggs from Maryland who I have already mentioned. McBride from Willaim Mary and Waller from Georga Teach are low floor high ceiling type of prospects. One guy I would like to see us take in the 6th or 7th is Jake Kumerow from D III Wisconsin Whitewater is a 6'5 200 pound guy who runs a 4.5 who's dad was a 1st round pick by the Dolphins and is cousins to both Joey and Nick Bosa. Guy was a walk on to Illinois and transferred out after Zook got fired. Zook was on record as saying if he hadn't been fired Kumerow would have been given a scholorship after his freshmen year. Just a good athlete with good bloodlines and good production (at a small division level) who we should take a flier on.

yep////Pettine said yesterday that the left side is good......they are looking right........

Well then that still leaves the question on who does Ervine replace. Is he really capable of playing RT? IS he good enough to unseat Greco? People keep forgetting that Greco was one of the best guards in the league last year.

I'm kind of glad O'Leary ran his forty like a parked car because I think he's crafty and plays faster than he times for a stopwatch.

I tend to recall a chubby, non athletic looking guy years ago who showed a crafty, competitive, intelligent side on the golf course. Maybe he wasn't a football player, but O'Leary having some of his Grandfather, Jack Nicklaus's, qualities is nothing to sneeze at.

Mike

Well then that still leaves the question on who does Ervine replace. Is he really capable of playing RT? IS he good enough to unseat Greco? People keep forgetting that Greco was one of the best guards in the league last year.

It's a good problem to have.......

I think Bowie & Schwartz are RT.....and Erving competes with Greco and provides the depth we so desperately needed last year...

Maybe he sits a year to learn.... or maybe he owns it right out of the gate....but we all should sleep better having him

They need all the Olinemen they can get because our Defense is going to tear them up haha. Seriously though, having to go AGAINST our defense day in-day out will only make our offensive unit that much stronger!

I'm not sure what to make of Greco's 2014 season in terms of how permanent the results are. It seemed like more of an exception to the rule than the rule if we delve into his career overall. That's not to take away my appreciation of where he took his game. I also read in the preseason he lost some weight which looked like it really paid off in his performance/quickness/getting to the next level. I get the sense our offensive staff and Farmer identified our right side as a place we can improve talent and upside. My gut says Guard and I think one of the networks announced Erving as a Guard whether that matters or not. I think Bowie is the guy that will try to compete with Schwartz for the RT job.

Minus the game Shanny identified JJ Watt as Houston's weakest link against the run with plans to run at him almost exclusively, I've always liked our ability to run outside of Schwartz especially during those years it was almost impossible to run inside of him. That told me he can run block if our game plans are somewhat reasonable. His cleats have a had a tendency to look like they weighed 100 pounds a apiece sometimes in pass protections especially when inexperienced QBs held onto the ball for prolonged periods. This 2nd round investment won't be easy to beat out especially if the existence of Bowie has Schwartz showing up in the best shape of his career. You never know what the perceived threat of losing a starting job can do at RG, RT or any position for that matter. Whatever the case may be the improved competition can only make us better. Stay tuned...

Seriously though, having to go AGAINST our defense day in-day out will only make our offensive unit that much stronger!

POG, you & I DO agree on the above!

Mike

Thanks for sharing that!

I don't know if we'll need any rookie WR to give us 1000 yards; but a WR Corps that needs more TDs and good yards per catch might have some worthy volunteers pissed they haven't been drafted yet. In particular, there's a WR from Central Michigan (Titus Davis) that keeps jumping off the page at me as intrigue for today. He's 196 lbs at 6'1". Here's his numbers against their level of competition:

2011 6 starts 40 rec 751 yds 18.8 ypc 8 TD

2012 12 starts 43 rec 860 yds 20.0 ypc 8 TD

2013 11 starts 61 rec 1109 yds 18.2 ypc 8 TD

2014 10 starts 60 rec 985 yds 16.4 ypc 13 TD

Didn't want this to get lost today for those of you worrying about what kinds of WRs might be left...

Mycole Pruitt TE

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/mycole-pruitt?id=2552401

And is this guy still available ?....a sleeper in a lot of mocks I have seen

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/titus-davis?id=2552426

Archived