THE BROWNS BOARD

STALLWORTH UPDATE

titleist585

That Sucks. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, having to face the fact that he killed someone while being legaly drunk. Of course .08 is what 2 beers?

Many dont realize that you can party till midnight, and get up at 7 and go to work, and still be over the limit. Have a wreck on the way and get charged with a DUI. Sucks dont it?

Considering Stallworth couldn't swerve out of the way will halp him. The other thing that will determine if he is charged with manslaughter will be how high of an blood alcohol level he had at the time. over .13 I would think he is screwed.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also saw information where the pedestrian may not have been in the crosswalk.. so maybe stallworth is NOT dui just a bit foggy and the guy was doing something dumb... Lets wait on all the facts... but your right.. you can wake up after a night of drinking and still blow dui on a breathalizer. Let's hope he is under the .08 when the facts come out.. I repeat.. when the facts come out.

I read somewhere stallworth admitted to drinking the night before up to midnight.. That could be good or bad news. also it is not confirmed that the pedestrian was or was not in the crosswalk.. so this could go many different directions. No matter what it is a trajedy for all parties and families

Flug's with a response like that.. I guess I will add you to my prayer list too. God bless all of you.

Don't bother! Faith is a journey not a guilt trip.

If you remember I was the one feeling bad for the victim and his family. We keep playing leapfrog with the reality somebody got killed in this story.

The victim and his family do not get a second chance in this one so it doesn't matter how air tight with Jesus you are in this one horse. Lazarus was a LONG time ago. Meanwhile, Stallworth will get the same slap on the wrist Leonard Little got.

- Tom F.

I also saw information where the pedestrian may not have been in the crosswalk.. so maybe stallworth is NOT dui just a bit foggy and the guy was doing something dumb... Lets wait on all the facts... but your right.. you can wake up after a night of drinking and still blow dui on a breathalizer. Let's hope he is under the .08 when the facts come out.. I repeat.. when the facts come out.

Either way a dude passed due to the whole situation

poor browns... Hey guess what? The Steelers won their 6th Super Bowl..

Stallworth needs to go to jail.. I love it!!!

I'm sure that the people involved in this tragic accident will feel better knowing that the Steelers won their sixth super bowl as it will be such a comfort to them in their time of need.

How pathetic.

I'm sure that the people involved in this tragic accident will feel better knowing that the Steelers won their sixth super bowl as it will be such a comfort to them in their time of need.

How pathetic.

I see he deleted his post....It's too late. Kcrane......You may be the lowest of scumbags.

You love it that a person lost his life and that a person could go to jail. Total scum.

I don't know if this site ever bans people, but if there was ever a reason to, you have it.

I think you're all correct in reserving judgment until the facts are in... and all seem to recognize just how big a tragedy this is for everyone.

That being said, I can't help but wonder how Browns fandom would be reacting to this if he were a member of the Steelers.

I think you're all correct in reserving judgment until the facts are in... and all seem to recognize just how big a tragedy this is for everyone.

That being said, I can't help but wonder how Browns fandom would be reacting to this if he were a member of the Steelers.

ugggh....let's not consider it.

Regardles of Stallworth's condition it's an absolute tragedy. For Donte's sake (even if he were a squealer), I hope he was not impaired at the time.

When I first heard the news on WKNR, they said he was wanted for questioning and there apparently was damage to the front of his Bentley. It made me think he possibly left the scene. Since then, stories coming out do not seem to indicate this. Which is good, that's one less worry. If he had, I figured it would be so they didn't discover an unlicensed firearm in his car. And that, would create issues for him even if he was found to have no fault in the accident. I say this to demonstrate how quickly one can jump to a conclusion or at least have the wheels start turning. Let's wait before we string him up.

While we are rightfully awaiting further information before we make a judgement, and sending our condolences to the family of the victim, it's only natural we will speculate as to what this means for Donte and the Browns.

Obviously I don't know Donte, but it's hard to imagine he was heading to the beach at 7 in the morning to get a few miles in, you know, gearing up for training camp. I don't know what direction he was heading, but if it was IN the direction of his condo, then it makes it seem more likely that it was in fact a very late evening for Mr. Stallworth.

Not casting blame, just being realistic. I'm hoping he was on the way to see his personal trainer because he was severely disappointed in his performance last year and vowed to never miss a game due to poor gameday preparation. I'm also hoping the only thing they find in his system is distilled water and a whey protein shake.

Maybe it's my cynical side or just the headlines we see almost daily filled with athletes or so called stars (Lindsay Lohan anyone?) that are having legal issues, but I feel like my first scenario is most likely. Croosing my fingers and hoping it's not.

I'll be honest, my first thought was I hope we cut him and he never works again, but then I had a chance to stop and think it over.

If it was DS's fault, he was drunk and pulled a Leonard Little, I hope the guy gets jail time for what he did.

If it was the pedestrian's fault (jwalked out into the street while plastered) then I hope DS walks and learns to be more cautious on the road.

If it was a Steeler, Raven, or Bengal I'd have the same initial snap reaction and then calm down and look at what happened.

It's a tragedy and if it were one of the members of my family I'd be wanting to see someone's head before all the facts came out just from emotional distress and may never come to terms with what had happened.

You see there is a big difference between a guy like DS doing something like this, a guy who has had a clean record his life, and a guy like Leonard Little who has a history of drunk driving. We tend to jump to conclusions more often with the latter because so often it is a spoiled athlete that thinks he's above the law, and sad thing is these guys usually walk or pay a fraction of the cost one of us would if we did something like that.

Did you ever think there is a time for levity and there are times where levity is tastless?

Poor Judgement was used in your post.

Seriously? Is it a tad sanctimonious in here or is it just me?

Good God, people, do you really find it necessary to saddle up the high horse and ride in situations like this?

Does everyone have to post with their hearts on their sleeves to meet your moral standard for this situation? Do we all have to offer prayers to the family of the victim and to Donte Stallworth?

Why?

Are we praying for the millions of poor in the world while we discuss the millions of dollars being given to athletes as though they ACTUALLY deserve it?

Are we praying for the rest of the thousands of people all over the world who were killed yesterday, accidentally and worse yet, intentionally?

Should we start a prayer offering thread? Or maybe a religious board where we can debate the relative strengths of each of our moral compasses? Perhaps a morality pissing contest?

No? Nobody into it?

Fine, then you post what you want and you let me post what I want and how about we quit with the holier-than-thou's in here.

Did you ever think there is a time for levity and there are times where levity is tastless?

Poor Judgement was used in your post.

Not exactly sure how a joke about Stallworth not earning his signing bonus turned into a moral crusade, but spare us all the preaching. Nobody joked about anyone dying at all so get over yourselves.

PS when someone like cal agrees with your assessment of morality, you know you've turned the self-righteousness scale up to eleven.

Prosecutors are always poised to levy charges......it's called doing their jobs.

If the blood work is positive, they start one process. If not, they look at lesser charges if it is deemed Stallworth is still at fault in the accident....which as of now doesn't look to be the case......in which case, the case is closed.....at least until the family trys to get some cash in a civil suit.

my dad has worked in insurance for 30 years. he said that if the blood tests are negative that he probably won't get jail time because with no drugs or alcohol in his system, it was an accident like most others. if he blew the legal limit, he is screwed. simple as that.

Guest ATENEARS
We’re also told that Stallworth claimed in his statement to police that he saw the man crossing the street from a distance, and flashed the high beams and honked the horn of the Bentley he was driving.

If I were crossing the road and an approaching car flashed it's high beams at me, that would indicate to me that the driver has seen me, and acknowledged me, and was a signal that it was ok to cross.

If you had time to flash lights, honk horn, you'd think one would have time to stop or slow down enough as to not cause a fatality.

Sign Holt.

First of all...not defending Stallworth!

I'm sitting in my Den watching the news this morning (Miami TV). I saw the crimescene and it looked like a freeway to me...large cement median between the opposing lanes (3 going one way and 3 going the other way) and a large metal guard rail on the outside of the 3 lanes which had the sidewalk totally protected on the outside. They showed shoes (marked with numbers as evidence) near the passing lane (far left lane) near the freeway style cement center barrier. His Bentley was also parked in the far left lane (next to the center barrier just beyond the shoe evidence). To me, it also looked like the road was just as you are coming out of a curve as well.

I didn't read all the posts on this but did they show this in Cleveland?

I know you're not supposed to hit/kill pedestrians and Drinking and Driving is a BIG no no but...isn't there a degree of fault there for the unfortunate soul in the middle of the road? Or did I miss something?

CLICK BELOW TO VIEW MIAMI NEWS VIDEO (AFTER COMMERCIAL):

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=72922@wfor.dayport.com

What do you think?

That video would indicate this guy was nowhere near an intersection or crossing. That's a concrete barrier dividing 6 lanes of highway.

Tried to zoom in on the street level map of MacArthur Causeway.... looks like some of it has sidewalk but not all of it. Regardless, that wasn't a crosswalk.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Miami+Be...0:::::f:EN:M:/e

Clevelandfan... You don't even have to blow the legal limit to get your nuts in a wrench. OVI... Operating a vehicle impaired... Makes no reference to a specific amount or limit of alcohol. Plus, it's not exclusive to alcohol. Are you tired? That's impaired. You can get hit with an OVI. Prescription Meds.... That's impaired. You could blow a 0.04, half the current legal limit (watch for a push for .06), and be charged with an OVI. ANY amount qualifies as impaired.

Who knows if he actually did blow his horn and flash his lights... for all we know yet.... the pedestrian was off his meds therefore disoriented and Donte happened to be updating his profile on Twitter at that exact moment and not paying complete attention to the road.

Unfortunate and sad, but the pedestrian bares a little of the blame at this point. We still don't know enough about Donte's condition at this time.

No witnesses either?

7 a.m. ..... wait Miami beach.... those people don't need to go to work in the morning. Duh! Silly me. 'Course there was no one else on the road at that time of morning. :rolleyes:

This was eastbound correct? You look at that stretch of causeway and there is practically NOTHING on the south end of that stretch of road anyway. Outside of somebody biking or (this is Miami) rollerblading the length of the causeway heading east you probaby don't see many people on that side anyway.

....AND, that looked like a loafer. Could have been a late night for the pedestrian.

Not defending Donte here, just not throwing my stone yet.

Saying you saw someone from a distance and you still hit and killed them almost sounds like an admission of guilt.

No it doesn't.

It sounds like he saw a guy starting to run across the highway...he honked and flashed.....looks like Stallworth was in the left lane with nowhere to go there...Stallworth honks...the guy gets to the middle lane...all this happening at say 60 mph....Stallworth at that point can't go right or he drives right in to the guy...Stallworth figures the guy sees him and is waiting for Stallworth to pass...and then in the split second of truth...the idiot continues to run ...at that point....lights out.

No doubt he needs to be clean. If what he says about the time line on when he was drinking...even if he is off a couple of hours and it was 2 am...5 hours is enough time for him to drop down well below any illegal level, and almost in to the non-existent level.(assuming the quantities mentioned are pretty accurate and he wasn't just shithammered)

Now, if illegal substances are found, well that is an entirely different matter, but the fact he was released bodes well for him.

The cops wouldn't have released him if he showed visible signs of being impaired.. They would have booked and charged him

Also, charging him with a OVI after the fact with traces of alcohol would be a hard burden to prove at this point since the investigating officers would really need to be the ones to make that call.

I don't think it would be hard to charge him with OVI at all. They have his blood. If it did in fact come back positive for ANY substance they can slap him with the charges.

Obviously I don't think he went all "Rip Torn" on them or they would have in fact detained him. Not to mention I'm sure his lawyer was there pretty quick making sure his client was released.

I can hear the soap opera music in my head ...."And so are the Days of Our Lives"..... cue laundry soap commercial.

here's a thought that just occured to me.... yes, it takes a while....

I've heard ZERO about a breathalyzer test...

You were in an accident. You hit a pedestrian. You admitted to consuming alcohol the night before (You're a few million richer, who wouldn't). I understand they drew blood, but no breathalyzer ? That's got lawyer written all over it.

Wonder which call went out first.... his attorney or 911

PROSECUTORS POISED TO CHARGE STALLWORTH WITH DUI

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 6:47 p.m.

We’re also told that Stallworth claimed in his statement to police that he saw the man crossing the street from a distance, and flashed the high beams and honked the horn of the Bentley he was driving. Apparently, there’s an issue as to whether Stallworth could have taken evasive action because of a barrier along the median.

Slowing down might have been an even better option if this is true

Not exactly sure how a joke about Stallworth not earning his signing bonus turned into a moral crusade, but spare us all the preaching. Nobody joked about anyone dying at all so get over yourselves.

PS when someone like cal agrees with your assessment of morality, you know you've turned the self-righteousness scale up to eleven.

The main point of your joke was not the bonus. It was about partying because of it. Your attempt to lesson your complete lack of taste during a sad situation doesn't wash. It amazes me how people will never admit when they were wrong or may have stepped over the line. It makes you look even worse. Now you are tastless and heartless.

You belong with KCrane, our favorite Steeler fan.

Archived