THE BROWNS BOARD

Everette Brown

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

It sounds like Brown's beginning to make up for his relatively unimpressive combine.

From TFY Draft:

As many as 28 teams are on hand in Tallahassee for the Seminoles pro-day. The workout just started and the players are running the forty.

Everette Brown will stand on most of his combine numbers but participate in position drills. The Miami Dolphins sent their linebackers coach to watch Brown. The New England Patriots linebacker coach is also flying into Tallahassee and will be meeting privately with Brown Tuesday evening for dinner.

The workout in Tallahassee was interrupted by a monsoon which passed through the town. Everyone retreated for cover inside but have since returned and the players are now taking part in position drills.

Earlier in the workout Everette Brown completed 31 reps on the bench but had two taken away for not locking out and his official number was 29. He also touched 35-inches in the vertical jump.

Sources at the workout have told us Everette Brown looked sensational in position drills. He was run through defensive line and linebacker drills and looked like a natural in pass coverage drills. Sources at the workout told us Brown displayed fluid footwork pedaling in reverse, was able to flip his hips and showed a terrific burst of speed. Brown has a private workout scheduled with the Kansas City Chiefs and already has a workout under the belt with the St. Louis Rams.

Because of his unimpressive combine, I dont think to highly of him being a top 5 pick. He is good but needs to change the attitude. We dont need any prima donnas, we need football players. (Team Players)

It sounds like Brown's beginning to make up for his relatively unimpressive combine.

From TFY Draft:

Many thanks Aloy! I don't want to jinx the guy but he's starting to grow on me as I've increased my research on him. I feel like I've been very unfair to the kid thus far when I haven't really even seen FSU play in the last 2 years. A few of the highlights I saw concerned me because while he sacked the Qb or made the play in the backfield, the opponents weren't even sending a backside pulling guard to block him on the misdirection play so I got the impression they thought they could catch him out of position. Sometimes you do something that unsound with a game plan when/if you've spotted a trend on film. However, what I should have noticed was they didn't catch him out of position and those plays ended in solo tackles for a loss/sack by Mr Brown.

Here's what Lindy's Pro Football Draft Guide has to say about him:

Intangibles: Locker room leader with high character grades from coaches. Works hard on the field, including practice.

Explosion: Good quickness off the edge and is explosive in pass situations. Uses typical Florida State wide alignment to get upfield quickly. Hustles to the ball whether the play is bwhind or in front of him.

Strength: Uses long arms and lower body strength to get leverage on taller tackles. Adequate height and fair build for for a rush end his size, and will gain mass without losing speed. Has made weight room improvement.

Pass Rush: Gets under the shoulder of the off tackle in his pass rush to cut off the corner. Effective spin move going left and right. Closes quickly and has the length to affect the throw even if he doesn't get to the QB. Changes direction well.

In our View: Florida State defensive ends as a whole have not fared well in the NFL, but Brown's combination of strength and speed might allow him to break that mold. His potential as an impact pass rusher puts him near the top of a lackluster defensive end class.

- all info copied word for word from page 50

Then there's a Prototypes of DEs for this class on page 51 and it deems Everette Brown as the man for the Pass Rush Prototype with this description: Seminole ends tend to disappoint at the next level, but Brown is explosive off the edge with better technique than you'd expect for a player of his somewhat limited experience.

My take: Looking at the height, weight and quick mastery of life in the world of pass rushing - I can see the NEXT Jamir Miller. If there's ONE thing we would use we use this next season - it's the SAME pleasant surprise Jamir Miller became. Worth repeating: when Jamir put a hand down out on the edge in 2001 we LED the entire AFC in INTs. Nobody on this planet could have predicted Davon Bush, Percy Elsworth, Earl Little, Daylon McCutcheon, Cory Fuller and rookie Anthony Henry could pull off such a thing with THAT average of a crew. Miller was a steady force that continued to make QBs throw the ball before they wanted to. It's the ONLY time our defense has led the conference in anything since our return.

I'm at the point where I can defintely see why we'd take Brown and feel good that we've done so. This is one of those positions that is feast or famine (hit or miss) I've been very reluctant to throw my arms around some of the most popular names. I still need some convincing about Orakpo and I don't like Maybin. I ADORE Clay Matthews and the idea of tradedown but nobody sells that better than JD.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

Last year, the FSU coaching staff had Brown play linebacker during 7 on 7 drills because they anticipated he'd be making a position switch in the pro's. Because of that, the learning curve for the linebackery stuff a 3-4 OLB has to do may not be as steep for him.

But I'm concerned about how he'll hold up in the run game. His weight room numbers are impressive, but he was mostly asked to penetrate upfield at FSU; I don't remember seeing him really do a good job setting the edge or pushing a lineman back.

He's got a nice bevy of pass rush moves, though he's a bit short on actual power moves. I don't think he'll bust in that aspect of his game, but he could end up disappointing people - becoming a decent speed rusher but not someone who's a lock to notch double digit sacks every year. And he's the kind of guy you want to move around a lot, especially if you're in an even man front. In the Maryland game, two of his sacks came by using his spin move against a slow-footed LG. I don't think he'd be used that creatively in our defense, which decreases his value.

So I'm concerned about how he'll fare against the run and am kind of lukewarm about his rush ability (at least in our defense). I don't think he's worth taking at #5, but I'd consider him if we traded down.

Last year, the FSU coaching staff had Brown play linebacker during 7 on 7 drills because they anticipated he'd be making a position switch in the pro's. Because of that, the learning curve for the linebackery stuff a 3-4 OLB has to do may not be as steep for him.

But I'm concerned about how he'll hold up in the run game. His weight room numbers are impressive, but he was mostly asked to penetrate upfield at FSU; I don't remember seeing him really do a good job setting the edge or pushing a lineman back.

He's got a nice bevy of pass rush moves, though he's a bit short on actual power moves. I don't think he'll bust in that aspect of his game, but he could end up disappointing people - becoming a decent speed rusher but not someone who's a lock to notch double digit sacks every year. And he's the kind of guy you want to move around a lot, especially if you're in an even man front. In the Maryland game, two of his sacks came by using his spin move against a slow-footed LG. I don't think he'd be used that creatively in our defense, which decreases his value.

So I'm concerned about how he'll fare against the run and am kind of lukewarm about his rush ability (at least in our defense). I don't think he's worth taking at #5, but I'd consider him if we traded down.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Excellent point about being used creatively. I HOPE Mangini is a little more innovative with the 3-4 because he explained his rationale for liking it by mentioning you could get creative up front.

Shfting gears here, is the TSN Draft Guide out in stores yet? Lindy's is pretty good and it's already been out on the shelves for a couple of weeks now.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

Personally, I'm more of a digital guy. I subscribed to nfldraftscout last year, but CBS recently purchased them & made most of their content public.

You can check out their scouting reports here.

I view FSU guys and WVU guys in the same way - buyer beware. For every Myron Rolle you get a few dozen thugs.

I kind of agree, but to blackball a guy because of the college he "attended" isn't giving due diligence its fair shake. This where quality scouting comes into play.

From all accounts, Kamerion Wimbley, say what you want about his play, is a smart and thoughtful FSU guy. Anquan Boldin isn't a thug. Charlie Ward...

I agree completely. I'm just saying certain schools will let just about anyone in, and erase just about any indiscretion. And I think schools like WVU and FSU (Miami would be another) deserve extra scrutiny in this regard.

Players from Rice and Duke and Stanford are generally different. That doesn't mean you don't check them out. You check out everybody.

Archived