THE BROWNS BOARD

Tackle John St. Clair coming in

Sez.EJ

John St. Clair, T, Chicago Bears Monday 3/16, 7:03 AM CT

John St. Clair will visit the Browns today, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: The Bears wanted to bring the 10-year-vet back, and offered $4MM over three years. He is no longer a solid pro, but the Browns could use depth along their offensive line.

My view: I know this guy was pretty solid one point in his career. I really don't know where he is at now. That the Bears offered him 4 mil over 3 years tells us he is not a starter. Can't argue with depth and experience though. Anyone more in tune with where this guys skills are now???

Yeah, as the resident Bears watcher, I can tell you from watching and reading that St. Clair did an adequate-to-good job at LT when Bears 2008 first-rounder Chris Williams went down in training camp with a back injury.

St. Clair was slated to be the RT before the Williams injury and probably has a few more adequate-to-good years left at that position.

I don't have a great read on him but from what I gathered, he was a solid veteran, well liked and respected in the locker room. Word was that the vets weren't particularly happy with the idea that Williams was just going to be handed the LT job over St. Clair. Could be one reason he spurned the Bears because I doubt he's going to get LT money.

Bottom line: He's a Mangini kind of player, no doubt. Versatile, smart, savvy, quiet leader, popular in the locker room, a real pro and veteran. I'd bring him in at the right price and if his head is right. He's valuable LT depth in case something happens to JT (God forbid) and he can certainly fill RT for a year or two. That would allow us to put Womack or Tucker at RG and we'd have a solid line around a potential rookie center in this draft.

Archived