THE BROWNS BOARD

Jacksonville releases WR Matt Jones

Oldcrow1945

This guy really started coming into his own last year. I have watched his career pretty closely. He is a playmaker. He really is not a trouble maker..He had the coke thing then turned it around. I am not going to crucify the guy for screwing up by having a few beers on the golf course. He will likely get a 4 game suspension. But he is 6'5 runs like an elk and can really make plays. We could get a guy coming into his prime. I may get slammed cuz I like this guy.. but that's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. I think he could have been even better if Jax had a real QB to get him the ball. 11.7 per catch average and 10 catches over 20 yards last year.. Signimup

this guy seems like he is going to be a problem for his whole career. the only way i would give him a contract is if it was incentive based. if he gets arrested, we keep money. if he goes to jail then he gives us back his bonuses. stuff like that. anyone who gives him a regular contract is a moron. for that reason, i believe he will end up an oakland raider with a huge contract.

jones' physical talent has never been in question, but his football aptitude and decision making have. with mankok emphasizing character, it's highly doubtful jones will be a brown, though hie physical ability is intriguing.

when you add in the fact that he's been playing WR for only a few years and would just now be learning the nuances of running routes, i think he'd be a good signing if we can get him on the cheap, but a franchise with a WR who just killed someone can't afford the PR hit of signing a WR who got busted for coke possession.

Notable players that liked the dust.

Michael Irvin

Lawrence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Plus he may be or will be cheap why not.

What kind of suspensions does he still have coming

Notable players who liked cocaine:

Michael Irvin

Larence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Matt Jones

Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

Michael Irvin

Lawrence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

Dennis

This guy really started coming into his own last year. I have watched his career pretty closely. He is a playmaker. He really is not a trouble maker..He had the coke thing then turned it around. I am not going to crucify the guy for screwing up by having a few beers on the golf course. He will likely get a 4 game suspension. But he is 6'5 runs like an elk and can really make plays. We could get a guy coming into his prime. I may get slammed cuz I like this guy.. but that's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. I think he could have been even better if Jax had a real QB to get him the ball. 11.7 per catch average and 10 catches over 20 yards last year.. Signimup

Ever hear of Character ? A couple of "Questionable" Guys can mean disaster to a Team.

A couple of "Questionable" Guys can mean disaster to a Team. Big Gamble !!!

Michael Irvin

Larence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Matt Jones

Michael Irvin

Lawrence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

Dennis

What exactly does him being white have to do with anything? Nothing. He started to show some signs of being a good receiver for the Jags last year and seemed to be past his drug issues. He was let go for drinking not another issue with cocaine. The Browns being in desperate need for a 2nd receiver should give this guy a look at the least. He can/should be had on the cheap and fill a badly needed spot for us. We cannot expect a rookie receiver to come in and do anything his first year. We need some one with some experience.

What exactly does him being white have to do with anything? Nothing. He started to show some signs of being a good receiver for the Jags last year and seemed to be past his drug issues. He was let go for drinking not another issue with cocaine. The Browns being in desperate need for a 2nd receiver should give this guy a look at the least. He can/should be had on the cheap and fill a badly needed spot for us. We cannot expect a rookie receiver to come in and do anything his first year. We need some one with some experience.

I can't totally disagree with you on this. But I have two questions. What kind of guy is he besides having the obvious addictive thing going on? Is he an asshole? I haven't read much about him.

The second question is the big one...What is the NFL going to do with him? He may not get to play for awhile after Goodell gets done with him.

Michael Irvin

Larence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Matt Jones

Michael Irvin

Lawrence Taylor

Kevin Mack

Dennis

And you forget Don Rogers?

Guest Aloysius
6'5" and possesion receiver. Sounds similar.

But it isn't. Jones is a guy with immense potential who's been held back by inconsistent hands, a poor work ethic, and an affinity for white powder. Jurevicius is a slow, sure-handed receiver who's a very good influence in the locker room.

Jones actually had a very good year last year, but he's too lazy and legally-challenged to take a risk on.

I dont care about his off field "habits" whether its drinking beer, smoking, coke whatever as long as he is good in the lockerroom and in practice. Get real judging players morality and usage is laughable.

This is a completely merc type industry and it is still a GAME not applying for the role of a preacher.

I love this guy and think it is EXACTLY what we need, great hands, good speed and big.

i watched him all through college as a Razorback fan, and he has the talent and raw ability to play any position, he was starting to break out last season as a reciever, keep in mind this wasnt his college role. As far as his character, he has been in some bad things lately, however, he never was in much of anything as a college player, and the last thing was really just a stupid probation violation. The coke is obviously very bad and we dont need someone on this team that is having to deal with that type of addiction, but I would love to see us pick him up. He will be going cheap and probably for a 1 year deal. I say lets go after him, see what he has and if he is going to be committed to football. As far as getting fired up as a player and showing emotion, this isnt your guy for that, he will break huge plays but he barely ever shows emotion..

Watch football sometime before you question my knowledge.

LOL you said the only thing they had in common was being white. That was incorrect, they both are 6'5" and possesion receivers. They may stop being similar after that but that does not mean I was wrong. It means you were.

We need a stop gap for next year and Matt Jones could be the guy to fill that role. If we throw BQ into the starting role only having 1 receiver to throw to we are guarenteing his failure. We need to do something.

With Jones we are talking about a parole violation for drinking beer not doing coke again. A freash start maybe what he needs, everybody deserves a second chance. He could end up being a pleasent suprise and if not, the guy we draft this year has one year of experince and can step into the 2nd receiver role in 2010.

Archived