THE BROWNS BOARD

Michael Crabtree

Dirty Hands

So JJ, K2, and now most likely stallworth are all out of the mix for 2009-2010 doesn't it almost have to make sense for michael crabtree at #5 now? If braylon performs as poorly as he did last year which is most likely since he seems to be in the top of the league in drops every season can we we really afford to go through an entire season with sanders, steptoe, braylon, and hubbard? I'm not exactly saying we should take him or that he's a lock at #5 but without some kind of reliable top receiver in our corps it makes taking a linebacker seem a little less significant. i really don't think we have much of a chance for Holt (i think he's probably looking more for a team that has better playoff potential than money). what's your thoughts?

I think it is very hard to predict at this particular moment . there are just a few variables to consider .

To cover them all would take all day but a few are

Who is going to QB

What will happen to Stallworthless

Who is left at #5

What if we trade down or up

What is in ManKok's minds

Oh well I made my point

Right now I see it like this:

LB: It looks like Curry will be gone at #5. The only guy there would maybe be Orakpo, but I think this is reaching at #5.

DL: I don't think Raji would be a good use of the pick in that Rogers is here and Rubin is learning the DT position already, we need DE's.

OL: We don't need a LT...and RG/RT/C don't have top 5 players on them

RB: There is no RB worth a top 5 pick this year

QB: We don't need a QB (in fact we need to trade one)

TE: TE seems set and no top 5 guys there

S: There are no S's worth a #5 pick (but plenty for #36)

CB: Jenkins has all but become a S now...and Davis I don't see anywhere near #5

WR: Crabtree is a legit top 5 pick

So, as of right now there are 3 players that are possible...and I would take them in this order:

Curry if he is there (doubt it)

Crabtree if he is there (doubt it)

Orakpo if he is there (probably, but I see it is a reach at #5)

Quite frankl, I don't like the idea of using our first, first round pick in two years on a WR, I mean lets not jump the shark and become the Detroit Lions here. We have so many more important position to address than WR, Every defensive postion needs a pick me up, offensive line may need a touch up and we are in need of a quality RB of the Future. With WR's like Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland, Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma, Brian Robiskie, Ohio State, Derrick Williams, Penn State all available in the late first and sencond round I think throwing a first round pick at Crabtree would just be like flushing money down the toliet.

Quite frankl, I don't like the idea of using our first, first round pick in two years on a WR, I mean lets not jump the shark and become the Detroit Lions here. We have so many more important position to address than WR, Every defensive postion needs a pick me up, offensive line may need a touch up and we are in need of a quality RB of the Future. With WR's like Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland, Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma, Brian Robiskie, Ohio State, Derrick Williams, Penn State all available in the late first and sencond round I think throwing a first round pick at Crabtree would just be like flushing money down the toliet.

I like your thinking a lot. I worry about taking this position so high.

There are even players like Kevin Ogletree down in the 4th round that I like a lot.

KO3.jpg

We4 have filled some "musts" but we still have a lot of "needs" at positions. We have a real need at LT and a real need at SS.

With 3 picks in the top 50 and hopefully more, if we can't trade down we may be in a position to take the best player available. So, If we accumulate a few more picks I could see taking Crabtree at #5 and using #36 for a pass rusher like Barwin or Sintum.

I don't see us taking a run at any high profile FAs.

We have a real need at LT...

I'm sure you meant RT, but with the signing of Womack, it looks like we can get by with Tucker for another season (or two) at RT and push that need off to next year.

-Al

I'm sure you meant RT, but with the signing of Womack, it looks like we can get by with Tucker for another season (or two) at RT and push that need off to next year.

-Al

Thanks, I did mean RT. I love Tucker but don't know if he can hold up for 16 games. I'm a little apprehensive with only Womack and Sowells as backups at tackle. We don't have anybody that could move to LT and do a standup job. Tucker can play RT, as can Womack (but he's really a guard) and Steinbach can also play RT in an emergency.

I still think Shaffer may come back if he can't find someone who will hand him a starting job and a good sized contract. But, my heart won't be broken if he doesn't come back.

Trade Edwards and a Second Rounder to Arizona for Boldin and Breaston

Problem Solved

They can't get a new contract signed with Boldin so I don't think they would want a potential FA in Edwards. Besides, I think Crabtree has more upside and better character then Boldin.

With 3 picks in the top 50 and hopefully more, if we can't trade down we may be in a position to take the best player available. So, If we accumulate a few more picks I could see taking Crabtree at #5 and using #36 for a pass rusher like Barwin or Sintum.

This is the only case where I could warm up to taking Crabtree. There is so much defense available with both of the picks in the second round.

If you don't trade Edwards, having both he and Crabtree would cause some serious match up problems for defenses.

I'm sure Brady would love to hear Crabtree called at #5!

Crabtree's gonna be gone by the time our pick rolls around already. And honestly, even if he is there, I wouldn't take him. We need our Defense to work on first and foremost... Granted, I am not saying this as confidently as I was before JJ was released.... but still right now the only way I could see us taking Crabtree is if we use him as leverage to get some players on positions we really need.

a smart team will savagely leverage the stallworth situation against us to try and eke a pick out of us to trade up so we're sure of getting crabtree, because getting an impact WR, at this point, seems an utter imperative. stallworth at least gave us someone that teams would have to account for if he were healthy. with his future uncertain, we have to plan for the worst, assume he'll be banned for life, and plan to move on without him, which means receiver became just as big a need as RB, S and LB.

however, i don't see any of the four teams ahead of us picking him. detroit has calvin johnson. the rams need a LT to replace pace. KC will take curry or raji. seattle just signed housh and also has deon branch. one of them will try to fleece us for a pick, but we can stand pat and still get a player who it seems we will desperately need.

going into the season with edwards, steptoe, hubbard and sanders would spell absolute doom for the offense. with only one semi-viable receiving threat, teams would be able to roll coverage to edwards' side all day. he'd get frustrated, clash with mangini, get benched, and then there'd be absolutely no one who could even remotely get open.

Granted, I am not saying this as confidently as I was before JJ was released....

JJ has had 50 knee surgeries and is 40 years old. He is/was not the type or caliber of player anymore to have any meaningful effect on our draft strategy.

JJ has had 50 knee surgeries and is 40 years old. He is/was not the type or caliber of player anymore to have any meaningful effect on our draft strategy.

He's actually only 34 ( :rolleyes: )which, I admit is old, but he is still good enough to continue playing. Hell, Randy Moss is 32! Oh, we better fire his wrinkly, senile behind before he dies of old age right there on the feild!

Joe was healthy enough physically to continue playing and even publicly stated that he was more than ready to come back. Besides... do you really think we can afford to look for ANOTHER WR now that Stallworth is likely out of the picture?

I think this is all premature talk because we don't know what is going to come of the stallworth situation, we don't know if he'll be playing next year or not, however if Leonard Little can absolutely be drunk driving kill somebody and still play then Stallworth can as well, although I know it's a different situation and didn't Little sit out of football for a year?

Either way if Curry is gone and Crabtree is there I don't see how we can't take him. Everybody else is a reach at 5.

Edwards

Crabtree

With either Steptoe or Hubbard playing the slot (more likely steptoe) that's not too shabby right there.

But then we have to address the RB issue. I have no problem going to war with Harrison in the backfield, but we need somebody else to split carries with him and right now I have 0 confidence in Lewis even for short yardage goaline situations.

We can always spend one of those second round picks on a WR, who knows maybe Robiskie will still be around.

If stallworth comes out of this smellin like a rose i got news fer ya...we still dont have any WRs..;)

Exactly. I have been a Crabtree advocate since long before Stallworth's issues came up.

Joe was healthy enough physically to continue playing and even publicly stated that he was more than ready to come back.

HUH?

Look, I love the guy and wish him all the best, but to think he'll continue his career at any serviceable level is wishful thinking.

Im not sold on crabtree's durability at all i like maclin better overall but am not sold on his durability either..but hubbard has as much potential as either and is durable and he is already ours if mangini can somehow teach the kid a disciplined approach and how to use his hands..;)

The stallworth tragedy will likely throw a big monkey wrench in the mankok rebuilding plan no matter the outcome..possibly having to take a WR at #5 is not such a bad thing either crabknee or mactank would show BE to the slot 2 by the end of preseason and if old mother hubbard grew some hands it wouldnt be impossible to see BE competing for the slot 3 spot where he belongs..

the one thing about the nfl draft is that every year there are a couple of no 1 wide receivers. there is no rush to get crabtree because there will just be another wr in next year's draft. we need defense now. we can address the wr's when braylon leaves.

So JJ, K2, and now most likely stallworth are all out of the mix for 2009-2010 doesn't it almost have to make sense for michael crabtree at #5 now? :blink:
BUST

i'd take BPA and trade before i'd even consider Michael Crabtree.

maybe at #36.

you must have been paying much attention the past 2 months, but he will either be traded or he will leave after next season. there is no way he signs back with us after this upcoming year.

step away from the board from time to time friend. it's good for perspective. :)

no way, huh?

lol

Exactly. I have been a Crabtree advocate since long before Stallworth's issues came up.

HUH?

Look, I love the guy and wish him all the best, but to think he'll continue his career at any serviceable level is wishful thinking.

last time JJ played he was 3rd in the NFL on 3rd downs. he was easily the Brown's best blocking WR, K2 included, and drew penalties at will w/ hands of glue that would rival Fitzgerald.

no love for the subtle nuances? Crabtree is barely a sexy pick and would be lucky to be on Joe's level of intangibles by year 4.

Yeah while I'm at why don't I pop in some game tape from Jamal's 2000 yd season too.

Or why not some of Jim Browns old stuff....

The past is the past, and we go on what Jamal showed us the last time he strapped em' on. and that was absolutely nothing...

apparently AFCN 1,000 yards seasons grow on trees in Browns Board fantasy land.

i'd venture to say mangini would disagree w/ you.

anything personal against Jamal or something?

Archived