THE BROWNS BOARD

laurinaitis coming in

Sez.EJ

FROM ROTO TIMES:

James Laurinaitis, LB, Saturday 3/14, 9:08 AM CT

James Laurinaitis stated that the Browns contacted him for a private workout, according to The Morning Journal.

Our View: He is not a hard-hitter and may need to toughen up to play in the NFL, but has solid instincts and intelligence and is a good tackler. Cleveland needs help at linebacker even after signing Eric Barton, but it may be too high to select Laurinaitis with the fifth overall pick in the draft.

My take: 2 ways to look at this. Lauinaitis may fall into round 2. Where in that case he appears to be a great value pick. OR....The Browns are looking to trade out of the 5 spot and he may be one of they guys we get lower in round one.. Either way.. I like that the new mgt. is exploring options and being prepared for this draft... I get the feeling that this draft.. especially if we get another high pick for DA may be the most important in years... I know that is a bit out there ..cuz EVERY draft is critical to the future of the team.. but if we get a pick for DA we can have 4 very high picks this year... if we make the right picks.. could launch this team into the next level for years to come..the wrong picks... well we are well versed in that area already

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FROM ROTO TIMES:

James Laurinaitis, LB, Saturday 3/14, 9:08 AM CT

Our View: He is not a hard-hitter and may need to toughen up to play in the NFL,

This may be one of the dumbest statements I've read in a long time. The guy is never injured nor has he ever complained of pain. What they hell are they talking about?

He needs to toughen up because he isn't known as a stick? Truly idiotic.

Since when is JL not a heavy hitter? This time of year cracks me up, players start developing these phantom flaws.

And Big Brown or whatever, you are so partial to anything PSU and anti anything OSU it's a joke.

You can't be expected to be taken seriously.

And Big Brown or whatever, you are so partial to anything PSU and anti anything OSU it's a joke.

Sort of like a handful of people are on this board for the Buckeyes. No Buckeye player ever has a flaw and when they run a slow 40, it means nothing. Oh, and Jim Tressel is the holy savior.

And that's coming from a fellow Buckeye fan. People just need to take off their scarlett and grey glasses.

Gotta agree that that is an odd statement that L is not a heavy hitter.. He would be a second round steal.. If if that statement is true.. even if his pro day may not have been great (I did not see it).. I have seen the guy play.. he has speed, and instincts, he can tackle and flat out makles plays.. just watch the game film..he is a good player..

I don't think he is the next LT or Seau and maybe not a perennial pro bowler.. but I believe he will be a solid..SOLID NFL starter.. If we can get that in round 2.. that's fine by me.. He is definately not a #5 pick..but in the second round...... ABSOLUTELY (insert sylvester stallone accent here)

That's bs. Go back and look - you do not see me crowing up PSU players. I said Maybin could be a good pick, but we are tired of moving people to new positions and having them learn them, so not high there. Shipley could be looked at for C, he was the Rimington Award winner, anyhow. But, his height would be a concern.

I call a spade a spade, son.

Sort of like a handful of people are on this board for the Buckeyes. No Buckeye player ever has a flaw and when they run a slow 40, it means nothing. Oh, and Jim Tressel is the holy savior.

And that's coming from a fellow Buckeye fan. People just need to take off their scarlett and grey glasses.

So what. we're Buckeye fans, but I think you're way overblowing it. I don't see what you're talking about. Most of the hardcore Bucks fans on here like myself, Ytown, Oldcow etc. say it like it is. Sev? That dude is just on another planet anyway, dude hates Queen strictly because of his hatred for ND which has made him into a DA homer.

This Big Brown dude only pops his head in here to prop a PSU player or slam an OSU player.

I don't know where you're coming from in the above statement, I don't find that to be true at all. How many people were all over Jenkins after his combine? We're talking about JL going late in the first or early in the second, and I'm only pointing out that saying the kid is a puss hitter and soft is total bullshit.

I'm a huge Buckeye fan but one that does not wear scarlet and gray Glasses. I've said many times on this site that i would n't touch Beanie Wells for a variety of reasons. Same with Donald Washington. I think he's awful. I was happy to see him leave Early. Same with Alex Boone. Just awful.

But two guys I like a lot are JL and Robiskie. I'd rather see JL on my team if I were playing a 4-3 and he was going to play the weakside where he could rome around in space. But I think the kid is going to be a good NFL player.

Robiskie I like even more. His size, his hands and especially his intelligence. A really, really smart person.

He's not afraid to take on corners and get physical with them. I see Chris Carter written all over him.

That's bs. Go back and look - you do not see me crowing up PSU players. I said Maybin could be a good pick, but we are tired of moving people to new positions and having them learn them, so not high there. Shipley could be looked at for C, he was the Rimington Award winner, anyhow. But, his height would be a concern.

I call a spade a spade, son.

Ah, pulling out the old "son" card I see.

Dude, you only poke in here to fook with da ich or bash a Buckeye and pimp a Nittany Lion.

Thanks for the compliment dad.

BTW, I do like Derrick Williams.

I'm a huge Buckeye fan but one that does not wear scarlet and gray Glasses. I've said many times on this site that i would n't touch Beanie Wells for a variety of reasons. Same with Donald Washington. I think he's awful. I was happy to see him leave Early. Same with Alex Boone. Just awful.

But two guys I like a lot are JL and Robiskie. I'd rather see JL on my team if I were playing a 4-3 and he was going to play the weakside where he could rome around in space. But I think the kid is going to be a good NFL player.

Robiskie I like even more. His size, his hands and especially his intelligence. A really, really smart person.

He's not afraid to take on corners and get physical with them. I see Chris Carter written all over him.

Call me huge in camp Robiskie, he's a perfect fit here. He'll be a consummate pro and bring the reliability we so desperately need at the position, especially with hands. He's got the size and enough speed and work ethic to be a great value pick in the second, but again, we need more picks there. I'd gladly replace DA's roster spot with Robo, although I don't think I'd call him a Carter type, more like a solid number two that just gets it done and shows up every week. I can't think of a player to compare him to right now.

Don't agree on Beanie, if he could be had lower in the first as a trade down I'd be all over that, but I don't see Mancock going after his type of player. I don't have a problem with someone calling Wells soft, but that shit ain't going to fly with JL from the Buckeye haters.

Washington had issues and was never that great. Hell, he never even locked up the starting job as his for a lengthy period of time. He does have potential though, but I'm not gaga over him.

Boone is a kid with a major drinking problem, but he would be worth a look in late round or UDFA in my opinion.

Call me huge in camp Robiskie, he's a perfect fit here. He'll be a consummate pro and bring the reliability we so desperately need at the position, especially with hands. He's got the size and enough speed and work ethic to be a great value pick in the second, but again, we need more picks there. I'd gladly replace DA's roster spot with Robo, although I don't think I'd call him a Carter type, more like a solid number two that just gets it done and shows up every week. I can't think of a player to compare him to right now.

My comparison is that his height, weight and supposed lack of burner speed is exactly the same as Carter.

So what. we're Buckeye fans, but I think you're way overblowing it. I don't see what you're talking about. Most of the hardcore Bucks fans on here like myself, Ytown, Oldcow etc. say it like it is. Sev? That dude is just on another planet anyway, dude hates Queen strictly because of his hatred for ND which has made him into a DA homer.

This Big Brown dude only pops his head in here to prop a PSU player or slam an OSU player.

I don't know where you're coming from in the above statement, I don't find that to be true at all. How many people were all over Jenkins after his combine? We're talking about JL going late in the first or early in the second, and I'm only pointing out that saying the kid is a puss hitter and soft is total bullshit.

Im a buckeye fan and the way i see it we are best to avoid homeboy picks unless the shoe fits the foot...i see a lot of OSU homerism about getting players that would never fit in this team...

speaking of foot rifferx that foot in that would be awesome pic is to small to be DA's unless lums has became a bq fag! hehehehehehe..

I would be elated if we were able to trade out of that 5th pick & get BOTH JL & Robiskie. I agree that they will both be very solid pros. Both are intelligent, focused & fundamentally solid.

Every year we hear of the "can't miss" guys who just blew them away at the Combine. There IS a lot to be said for "measurables" though...always highly accurate (tongue in cheek), such as:

Jack Lambert...too skinny

Joe Montana...poor arm strength

Larry Bird (NBA)...too slow

Paul Silas (NBA)...can't jump

Lee Trevino (PGA)...awful swing

There are many more, but these I could think of immediately.

HEART is not measurable, & that's the key to finding the best. I am tired of hearing of super fast, super strong, super athletic players who "sometimes" take a few plays off.....I do NOT want those players. I want to depend upon the good effort I will get on the field EVERY play & I do think JL & Robiskie will provide that.

Mike

Im a buckeye fan and the way i see it we are best to avoid homeboy picks unless the shoe fits the foot...i see a lot of OSU homerism about getting players that would never fit in this team...

speaking of foot rifferx that foot is to small to be DA's! hehehehehehe..

I know what you're saying Gips but we also went for years without touching any Buckeyes at all, especially under Butchie. He finally took Darnell Sanders who sucked in the fourth round at TE which was ridiculous. It was like the Craig Powell atrocity from Belichick having a meltdown made the franchise collectively shy away from them.

Never should locale be a part of a draft day decision, I'm not that stupid, but if you have two guys as almost equal on your board why not take the kid from in state who gets what Brownstown is about coming in?

I would be elated if we were able to trade out of that 5th pick & get BOTH JL & Robiskie. I agree that they will both be very solid pros. Both are intelligent, focused & fundamentally solid.

Every year we hear of the "can't miss" guys who just blew them away at the Combine. There IS a lot to be said for "measurables" though...always highly accurate (tongue in cheek), such as:

Jack Lambert...too skinny

Joe Montana...poor arm strength

Larry Bird (NBA)...too slow

Paul Silas (NBA)...can't jump

Lee Trevino (PGA)...awful swing

There are many more, but these I could think of immediately.

HEART is not measurable, & that's the key to finding the best. I am tired of hearing of super fast, super strong, super athletic players who "sometimes" take a few plays off.....I do NOT want those players. I want to depend upon the good effort I will get on the field EVERY play & I do think JL & Robiskie will provide that.

Mike

Good post.

On the other side of the isle, My brother and I have Vinnie Clark as a running joke to the stupidity of what pure numbers mean to the NFL. This guy had great numbers. Big corner....Good 40 time.... Huge vertical.

The Packers drafted this stiff with pick #19 in the first round. After two seasons he was sent packing to Atlanta.

He was terrible at OSU as well! But hey, his numbers were great!

I know what you're saying Gips but we also went for years without touching any Buckeyes at all, especially under Butchie. He finally took Darnell Sanders who sucked in the fourth round at TE which was ridiculous. It was like the Craig Powell atrocity from Belichick having a meltdown made the franchise collectively shy away from them.

Never should locale be a part of a draft day decision, I'm not that stupid, but if you have two guys as almost equal on your board why not take the kid from in state who gets what Brownstown is about coming in?

Absolutely agree homeboyz that fill the bill can be awe inspiring but more times then not are disappointing..thats why i rarely get involved in homie threads i prefer to let the scouts and coaches decide...;)

But no regime should ever shy away from picking a homer if they think he can contribute because thats always a bigtime fan pleaser and a real pride to the team..

As for Laurinaitis he isnt a real hard hitter but he has great instincts and can slip blocks nicely which often equals successful tackles..

Wells on the otherhand whats not to like other then in the nfl the way that boy runs over and through people he could be an injury liability and could have a short career..both are worth the browns taking a look at..

Make that foot in lums pic the proper size 16 with some hair and toejam rif! lol

Interesting set of takes..........

Laurinaitis plays with vision and instinct and is durable. His instincts put him around the ball and thus he makes lots of stops. He will be fine linebacker in the pros. I would use a second on him if we had an offense. Since we do not, I would be drafting another skill player in the second round. If Laurinaitis is there in the third take him. Heck I would trade tubbo Rogers for another second and use in on Laurinaitis. Would not use a second round pick in Robiskie. Not sure he will elevate enough in pro ranks but his disciplined and runs great routes.

Beanie Wells has the potential to one of the best backs ever in the NFL. He has all the needed ingredients. Runs with vision can out run people or run over them. He has the best stiff arm since Jim Brown. I would not hesitate to roll the dice on him with that five pick in the first. Unless another back graded out much higher with much more potential. Adrian Peterson was passed because he had some injuries in college.

The Browns should focus on drafting offense in the early rounds. Mark Sanchez is an interesting idea too.

Alex Boone blows I would not use a FA pickup salary on him

This may be one of the dumbest statements I've read in a long time. The guy is never injured nor has he ever complained of pain. What they hell are they talking about?

He needs to toughen up because he isn't known as a stick? Truly idiotic.

I totally agree with you . This guy is a loser

Gotta agree that that is an odd statement that L is not a heavy hitter.. He would be a second round steal.. If if that statement is true.. even if his pro day may not have been great (I did not see it).. I have seen the guy play.. he has speed, and instincts, he can tackle and flat out makles plays.. just watch the game film..he is a good player..

I don't think he is the next LT or Seau and maybe not a perennial pro bowler.. but I believe he will be a solid..SOLID NFL starter.. If we can get that in round 2.. that's fine by me.. He is definately not a #5 pick..but in the second round...... ABSOLUTELY (insert sylvester stallone accent here)

Maybe not the next LT or Seau but very well could be the next Brian Urlacker. Seems that's who most scouts compare him to.

Bad 40...........................WTF he was better then Maualuga. A 4.7 40 for a ILB isn't bad, so what about his pro day was bad.............Everything I read said he did very well. And his 3 years as an All American and multiple individual defensive awards, including defensive player of the year and best LB speak for themselves.

Tired of hearing people dissing this guy when he has proven to be a hell of a football player, with good character, never complains and suits up every week to play. BTW, he leaves it on the field every week. He gives the 100% and never asks for anything because he loves the game.

the gy had a bad day now you don't want him. What if he has a hall of fame career?

and I'm still trying to figure out what was so bad about the day. His 40? Man are guys on here hung up on 40 times. I'm glad scouts watch film and watch game speed.

He's not a WR, he's a LB not even a OLB, he's a ILB............nothing wrong with his 40 time.

Maybe not the next LT or Seau but very well could be the next Brian Urlacker. Seems that's who most scouts compare him to.

Bad 40...........................WTF he was better then Maualuga. A 4.7 40 for a ILB isn't bad, so what about his pro day was bad.............Everything I read said he did very well. And his 3 years as an All American and multiple individual defensive awards, including defensive player of the year and best LB speak for themselves.

Tired of hearing people dissing this guy when he has proven to be a hell of a football player, with good character, never complains and suits up every week to play. BTW, he leaves it on the field every week. He gives the 100% and never asks for anything because he loves the game.

Every year, it seems like certain people get picked on by the draft gurus. My guess is Hawk going as high as he did and not being dominant (yet?) has hurt JL also. Losing the last three bowl games didn't help him either, because a lot of the myths about OSU players sucking started twirling around.

As far as this board goes, for whatever reason there are quite a few guys that aren't Buckeye fans. Fine with me, but they seem to actually root against them, which goes along with the national perception of Buckeye hatred.

We need Notre Dame to get decent again so people can go back to hating them like Sev does.

Good post.

On the other side of the isle, My brother and I have Vinnie Clark as a running joke to the stupidity of what pure numbers mean to the NFL. This guy had great numbers. Big corner....Good 40 time.... Huge vertical.

The Packers drafted this stiff with pick #19 in the first round. After two seasons he was sent packing to Atlanta.

He was terrible at OSU as well! But hey, his numbers were great!

When I made my statement, I was being a smart*ss about teams relying on measurables....had they stuck to that in all cases, those "Hall of Famers" I mentioned may never have been drafted. It is the talent evaluator who can see "beyond" the Combine numbers who gets some very special players. Your example of a Combine "Star" who busted is not uncommon.

Mike

Interesting set of takes..........

Laurinaitis plays with vision and instinct and is durable. His instincts put him around the ball and thus he makes lots of stops. He will be fine linebacker in the pros. I would use a second on him if we had an offense. Since we do not, I would be drafting another skill player in the second round. If Laurinaitis is there in the third take him. Heck I would trade tubbo Rogers for another second and use in on Laurinaitis. Would not use a second round pick in Robiskie. Not sure he will elevate enough in pro ranks but his disciplined and runs great routes.

Beanie Wells has the potential to one of the best backs ever in the NFL. He has all the needed ingredients. Runs with vision can out run people or run over them. He has the best stiff arm since Jim Brown. I would not hesitate to roll the dice on him with that five pick in the first. Unless another back graded out much higher with much more potential. Adrian Peterson was passed because he had some injuries in college.

The Browns should focus on drafting offense in the early rounds. Mark Sanchez is an interesting idea too.

Alex Boone blows I would not use a FA pickup salary on him

Rich,

I LOL when I saw your comparison of Beanie to Jim Brown. I was just thinking of that same thing just last night. In fact, as a kid (I'm 62 now), I remember Sports Illustrated ran a pictorial story on Jim Brown & that stiff arm of his. I have not seen one like it until Beanie. I agree that if he can stay healthy, he can be a great one.

Mike

Every year, it seems like certain people get picked on by the draft gurus. My guess is Hawk going as high as he did and not being dominant (yet?) has hurt JL also. Losing the last three bowl games didn't help him either, because of lot of the myths about OSU players sucking started twirling around.

As far as this board goes, for whatever reason there are quite a few guys that aren't Buckeye fans. Fine with me, but they seem to actually root against them, which goes along with the national perception of Buckeye hatred.

We need Notre Dame to get decent again so people can go back to hating them like Sev does.

Great post.................................

I can't see why people think Hawk is a very good LB. He does what he's suppose to in the scheme he plays. GB doesn't blitz him as a LB. they apply pressure with their front 4 and bring DBs on blitzes. Rarely will you see a LB blitz in GB. So, Hawk doesn't have great numbers. He still is solid week in and week out and I'd take him in a minute. He's the ultimate team player who leaves it on the field every week and never complains.

Some just like to do the half empty thing over the half full thing. JL will be a outstanding LB in the NFL. MIght be better suited for a 4-3 defense like Urlacker plays with the Bears, but wherever he lands he will be a team player continue to display good character and will give 100% every Sunday because he loves the game. what else could you ask for.

Rich,

I LOL when I saw your comparison of Beanie to Jim Brown. I was just thinking of that same thing just last night. In fact, as a kid (I'm 62 now), I remember Sports Illustrated ran a pictorial story on Jim Brown & that stiff arm of his. I have not seen one like it until Beanie. I agree that if he can stay healthy, he can be a great one.

Mike

Thanks Canton Mike for seeing that. Most of my posts get deleted. I think by Rifferx. Glad that you had a chance to read the insight from me we both now share. Rolling the dice on Wells will not be a bad thing. When healthy his numbers have been staggering. He makes an offensive line play much better! He can make some teams running game real solid.

His game against Michigan a year ago pretty much proved he can carry an offense. He also had a stellar against LSU in the BCS Championship.

Archived