THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is Allen Patrick?

Guest John McClane

Just to pile on.....he isn't a speed guy either. He's not slow, but he doesn't have that extra gear that somehow keeps him a step ahead of everyone like the really good backs do.

There is a reason he was a 7th rounder.

Patrick's an aggressive runner who's not patient waiting for the hole to develop. Intelligence is an issue: the reason he didn't work out at safety was that he couldn't retain plays.

Size is a bit of an issue: if a RB's 6'0 3/4", he should weigh more than 200 lbs. Considering his aggressive running style, there were serious questions about his long-term durability at that size.

Also, he's got poor hands and wasn't a factor in the passing game (only 10 receptions as a senior). And he isn't good at blitz pickup, so he doesn't offer much value as a third down back.

He could develop into something, but I think Marcus Thomas is a more intriguing guy - he's bigger, has better hands, and could serve as our short-yardage back.

I don't remember the Browns picking him up...Not a bad guy to bring into camp. Didn't he spend time in Dallas last year? 5th rounder with good size. Drafted by chargers? eh, I can't recall. Either way there's a slim chance these two ever see the field. But they are intriguing camp bodies.

Short yardage? And take those inches to go carries from Vickers!? haha.

Guest Aloysius

Thomas was drafted by the Chargers in the 5th Round last year. He looked good in training camp, but the Chargers ended up trying to sneak him onto their practice squad. The Lions claimed him off waivers, but he got hurt in practice and never really got a chance to make an impact. He was released a couple weeks into the year, after which he spent some time on the Cowboys' practice squad.

For a summary of Thomas's strengths and weaknesses, I'd recommend watching this great draftguys.tv profile of the UTEP product:

Sounds like he could be a good short-yardage/3rd down back for us.

Archived