THE BROWNS BOARD

CB Jarrett Bush to visit with Browns

Geech

Cleveland Browns to visit with another cornerback

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Tuesday March 10, 2009, 1:27 PM

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have a visit scheduled later in the week with Green Bay free agent cornerback Jarrett Bush, a source said.

Bush, 24, has drawn interest from Tennessee and Baltimore because of his strong reputation on special teams. He was second on the Packers last year with 17 special teams tackles. He has limited appearances on defense in his three seasons in Green Bay.

Bush, 6-0 and 200 pounds, is a restricted free agent, but was undrafted out of Utah State and would not require compensation to Green Bay if he signs elsewhere.

The Browns have visited with three previous cornerbacks in free agency. They signed Hank Poteat of the Jets on Monday.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...visit_with.html

Looks like more depth. It seems like Kokingina is after quality special teamers to fill the bottom end of the roster.

-Al

he's also big, fairly fast and has a bunch of potential if he can ever figure out how to actually play corner. he'd be a decent special teamer at the least, and we really need warm bodies at corner. a young guy with potential like bush would be an absolute steal, especially considering that it looks like holly is as good as gone.

I thought Steptoe was supposed to have some return skills? How come we don't see more of him on special teams?

I think Cribbs might still return some kicks....he would just be pulled off coverage teams.

At least that is what I suspect would happen.

I think Cribbs might still return some kicks....he would just be pulled off coverage teams.

At least that is what I suspect would happen.

I'd prefer to take him off of returns and keep him on coverage. I think he's a better coverage guy than return guy.

I'd prefer to take him off of returns and keep him on coverage. I think he's a better coverage guy than return guy.

And I only saw him get the shit knocked out of him when he was RETURNING kicks. He got hit so hard either the baltimore game or the last game of the season that his cleats got kicked out from under him and each threw up a patch of turf... I thought he was hurt bad.

Guest c-dawg
And I only saw him get the shit knocked out of him when he was RETURNING kicks. He got hit so hard either the baltimore game or the last game of the season that his cleats got kicked out from under him and each threw up a patch of turf... I thought he was hurt bad.

I hear you about taking hits returning balls but it is doling out the hits as a possible safety that I wonder about.

Cribbs has special talents and can tackle and run the ball very well. Offense or defense then? How about both? At this point I think his offensive potential outweighs any defensive potential based on risk alone.

He is a former QB and can provide the WildDawg (or whatever you call it) offensive variable that makes other teams prepare that little bit extra. He can also catch and run the ball when not playing QB on offense.

What concerns me is that, although he is a beast and a sure (even flamboyant) tackler, he has not been bringing the wood against 220-250lb RBs and 250-270lb TEs his whole career.

Frankly, I wonder about durability and keep flashing back to the movie Any Given Sunday and Jamie Foxx's QB character who was "tried out" as a DB and separated his shoulder hitting the big boys.

Maybe a new tougher set of pads would help but maybe finding a bad ass nasty safety who LIVES to hit would help even more. If we can't get one this year is Cribbs really worth the risk?

I realize anyone can go down on any given play on O or D or Special Teams and that Cribbs is going to be in some serious collisions any way you go. I just think of K2 on that kickoff years ago and wonder, do we HAVE to take that risk with Cribbs?

Yea, but I think he would make a very good safety and I would also like to see him on the field on offense more. There's a reason Mangini is bringing in guys like Bowens, Elam and Bush. Also a reason he resigned Adams. Adams can really play on coverage on special teams.

Archived