THE BROWNS BOARD

Bowens Signs With Browns

EERSandBROWNS

As first reported in The Star-Ledger on Sunday, former Jets linebacker David Bowens signed with the Cleveland Browns Tuesday. He signed a four-year deal worth $7.2 million.

Bowens, who enjoyed playing for former Jets coach Eric Mangini the past two seasons, picked the Browns over the Jets, who wanted him to return at a reduced rate. The Jets released him last month, saving $2 million under the cap.

Last season, Bowens, a 10-year veteran, had 40 tackles, four sacks and one interception in 16 games, five starts.

Link

Guest Aloysius
It's a really nice pickup, versatile guy who can get to the QB, had a nice year last year.

And he did it on a gimpy knee that he didn't get scoped until after the season because the team needed him.

I really like this signing: a versatile spot starter at either strongside linebacker spot who'll also be a stabilizing influence in the locker room. And based on what Mangini says about him here, it sounds like he could be a good tutor to our young LB's:

"I think his strength, or a really significant strength, is his intelligence,'' said coach Eric Mangini of Bowens. "He understands everything that's going on. He's very savvy.''

Big money for a 32 year old coming off of a knee surgery.

Don't look at the size of the contract or how long. Look at how much is guaranteed. This isn't the NBA.

I will guarantee you that the 4 years aren't guaranteed. $7.2 Mil over 4 years looks like we are on the hook for a max of two years and less then $4 mil if he's around for the second year. Most likely just this year at about $2 million guaranteed. If he performs as the role player they want, then he will get another $1.5 mil next year.

We've got our own Brett, his name is Drive Assassin, I mean Derek Anderson.

*Lumfreddy bait*

His real name is Dexter Anderson, the Serial Drive Killer Tobes.

Bet there is no retort from Lums, he doesn't read these kinds of threads.

Very happy with this signing BTW.

At this rate we'll be the Cleveland Jets in no time. :lol:

Maybe that was the problem last year. Savage spent time trying to gather starters and never stocked the team with good backups and role players. As soon as someone got hurt we were done. I don't see anything wrong with bringing in role players from the Jets that know Mangini's system and he knows can perform in a role as a special teamer or backup.

Call it the Cleveland Jets if you want, but I love the fact that they are bringing in role players and solid backups. The Browns were very thin at a lot of positions last year and it showed when a few starters got injured. It especially showed on special teams at the end of the season. Looks like he is addressing that first. Bowens was captain of their special teams and is a special teams demon and he can play some LB.

I too like this signing. He is a vet who can still play (on top...he is versatile and a quality teammate).

We get stuck on this age thing quite often. The patriots have often started 2-3 old vets as LBs and played smart and tough team football. Now, we are not he Patriots. Nor can you just toss and old guy ala McGinest into the mix and think it works. However, the role of the "tough/smart vet" is critical. Especially when we except to draft most likely two young LBs this year.

This is a vet with something left in the tank and a drive to play whether its an 0-6 start or a 6-0 start.

I love this move.

In fact, I'm a fan of all the ex-Jets pickups.

If I'm a new coach trying to teach my system and my way of doing things, I want guys around who 1. already know me and my system, and 2. I don't need to win over.

In short, I want my guys, guys that already got my back, guys who will help win over other guys.

Brilliant moves, as far as I'm concerned.

I too like this signing. He is a vet who can still play (on top...he is versatile and a quality teammate).

We get stuck on this age thing quite often. The patriots have often started 2-3 old vets as LBs and played smart and tough team football. Now, we are not he Patriots. Nor can you just toss and old guy ala McGinest into the mix and think it works. However, the role of the "tough/smart vet" is critical. Especially when we except to draft most likely two young LBs this year.

This is a vet with something left in the tank and a drive to play whether its an 0-6 start or a 6-0 start.

I agree, there is a difference in bringing in an old vet as a starter and bringing a Bowens in as a backup/role player.

Ytown,

This is something a few people just don't get. This isn't McGinest coming along to hold down the starting OLB spot. This is a depth guy who can help along our potential first day draftee.

I sure hope these moves help make our defense more intense and mentally tough.

Archived