THE BROWNS BOARD

Kiper-McShay Draft Tidbits

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

From their most recent First Draft podcast:

Kiper:

• Scouts and GM's are calming down about Andre Smith's disastrous Combine. The Alabama OT could still be a top 10 pick.

• Everette Brown is dropping because he doesn't have good height and didn't run a great Freeney-like 40 time. His overall workout wasn't as good as Kamerion Wimbley's, and some people think he has bust written all over him.
  • Aaron Maybin did not come out of the Combine with positive momentum, as many people expected him to.
  • Richmond DE-OLB Lawrence Sidbury is being brought up as a 2nd Round pick, as is Connecticut DE-OLB Cody Brown.
  • LSU DE Tyson Jackson is moving up draft boards; he should be a top 15 pick
  • If Tennessee DE Robert Ayers runs in the 4.6's at his pro day, he'll end up being a late 1st Round pick
  • Malcolm Jenkins and maybe Vontae Davis are the only defensive backs who'll be taken in the 1st Round
  • Oregon States CB's Keenan Lewis and Brandon Hughes are rising up draft boards
  • OSU CB Donald Washington could go in the 2nd Round
  • Ball State QB Nate Davis may have dropped to the 5th/6th Round
  • Beanie Wells and Knowshon Moreno are dropping a little bit
  • Connecticut RB Donald Brown could be taken in the late 1st Round.
  • Shonn Greene is a solid 2nd Round pick
McShay
  • Because so many teams are looking for 3-4 personnel, Boston College NT Ron Brace could sneak into the bottom of the 1st Round, but more likely will be taken in the 2nd
  • Louis Delmas may go in the late 1st Round. (He brought up Philadelphia as an option, but their signing Sean Jones probably changes that)
  • Connecticut CB Darius Butler could be taken at the bottom of the 1st Round
  • Connecticut OT William Beatty plays soft but is now being talked about as a late 1st Round pick

The one thing I find interesting there is that BOTH Wells and Moreno are dropping per Kiper. That might push one of them, probably Wells, to early second round. Will both be available at #34? No. Will one of them and better yet, will the Browns pull the trigger if Wells is there? If it's Moreno, I think that would be the steal of the draft. This guy could be the next LT. Could be.

Thanks.

No surprise on Smith. People can rant and rave all they want, but in the end, Smith is as good a run blocking OT to come out in the last 15 years and his pass blocking while not "elite", is clearly better than most pure RTs since he played LT for Alabama....face it...you can't suck and start for a program like that.

Players with his skills get drafted early.

I like Tyson Jackson....solid player who has been under the radar a bit.

I am pretty sure Ayers will hit the numbers mentioned...I was hoping he would be there in round 2 for us...that would be a great "steal" pick for us.

The one thing I find interesting there is that BOTH Wells and Moreno are dropping per Kiper. That might push one of them, probably Wells, to early second round. Will both be available at #34? No. Will one of them and better yet, will the Browns pull the trigger if Wells is there? If it's Moreno, I think that would be the steal of the draft. This guy could be the next LT. Could be.

Wells will be a top 10 pick

Don't know if Wells goes top 10, but I don't think he falls as much as some are suggesting. He's too big, too fast, and too productive in too big of a program to get out of the top 20.

Oh God yes, there are plenty of GM's that would be licking their chops while pretending they have no interest. Wells is the real deal, a Hall of Fame type of pedigree.

It will all come down to what teams perceive his durability as, but a guy with his skill set is certainly not that big of a risk.

Don't know if Wells goes top 10, but I don't think he falls as much as some are suggesting. He's too big, too fast, and too productive in too big of a program to get out of the top 20.

It's a joke to think either would be there at #34.

I just can't see Wells sliding past Philly...I think they really want a bruiser to compliment Westbrook. I would love to see either of these potentially star backs still there for our 2nd, but I too would have to side w/Moreno...guy is a fierce competitor. I think that it would be pretty interesting to see who we go for if Matthews is still available too.

Guest Aloysius

Some really interesting info from the 3/10 podcast:

Guys with some buzz:

Kiper:
  • B.J. Raji: won't get past pick #5 or 6th pick, is "locking him in" with the Browns at #5
  • Mark Sanchez: a lot of favorable commentary on him, considered the most NFL-ready. Could go to Jacksonville at #8
  • Aaron Maybin: when you go back to the film, he's a natural pass rusher. Will go in the Green Bay (#9), San Francisco (#10), or Washington (#13)
  • Brandon Pettigrew: great blocker and underrated receiver, will be considered by Buffalo at #11
  • Connor Barwin: both defensive and offensive coaches love him, could go to the Dolphins in the 1st Round
  • Hakeem Nicks: will be a 1st Round pick
  • Donald Brown: also a 1st Round pick, could go to Philadelphia
  • Eben Britton: could fit into the late 1st Round

McShay

• Hakeem Nicks and Aaron Maybin both disappointed at the Combine, but teams going back to their tape will be thoroughly impressed. Maybin has the quickest first step in this year's draft.
  • Louis Delmas: unbelievably instinctive playmaker, some concern about size & level of competition, but he was dominant against Nebraska. Could be the only safety taken in the 1st.

Kiper

• William Moore: going into his senior season, some teams had him graded as an elite top 5 player, but then he had a bad year. After a good Combine, he's now a solid 2nd rounder.
  • Louis Delmas: Ballhawk who runs well with a lot of picks and tackles
  • Michael Johnson: Workout warrior who doesn't play well. Could be a late 1st Round pick
Guys dropping:Kiper
  • Everette Brown: Didn't test out well, could go in the bottom half of Round 1

McShay

• Vontae Davis: clearly physically gifted, but his technique is poor and he's inconsistent. Some real questions about his work ethic. Not a real playmaker when you watch him on tape
  • Malcolm Jenkins: not a top 5 pick, maybe not a top 10 pick
  • DJ Moore: teams worried about his terrible Combine
  • Larry English: didn't have a great workout, may fall to the 2nd Round
  • Shonn Greene: teams with a shifty back could look at him as a complementary back in the 2nd Round

Kiper:

• Vontae Davis: will be a 1st Rounder (McShay)
  • Darius Butler: late 1st Rounder - not a run support guy, but he can cover
  • Larry English: probably a 2nd Rounder
  • Ziggy Hood: been told by teams he's a 2nd Round player
Other draft projections:Kiper:
  • Glen Coffee: maybe a 2nd, likely a 3rd Rounder
  • Mohamed Massaquoi: doesn't make it out of the 3rd-4th Round
  • Lawrence Sidbury: won't make it out of the 2nd Round, could be taken in the late 1st
  • Eric Wood: won't make it out of the 2nd
  • Tony Fiammeta: could be a 3rd or 4th Rounder
Josh Freeman:

• Kiper: going to Tampa Bay in his mock (#18), could go to Chicago at #18
  • McShay: in next mock, he'll be at #19. But if you look at it objectively, he's an early 2nd Round prospect; he's benefitting from the dropoff in talent after him (Kiper: Nate Davis may not even be drafted). Mark Sanchez is also benefitting from the lack of QB depth.
Running backs:
  • Kiper: Knowshon Moreno going at #16 to San Diego, Beanie Wells #31 to Arizona, with Donald Brown going in between those guys
Cedric Peerman
  • Kiper: Now a 3rd, at worst 4th Round guy
  • McShay: will be off the board by the end of the 4th Round

Archived