THE BROWNS BOARD

The Ben Carson is a great American and should be president thread

calfoxwc

So, ignorance is bliss?

I'd love to hear how "knowledge" of the earth's true age -since lack thereof appears to be Tim's & Ben's fatal flaw- affects and/or improves your day to day.

Granted, I don't know you, but in one corner I see evidence of a surgeon and an athlete giving a lot of their energy and resources to improving others lives, and in the other corner I see someone that "harrumphs" on a message board anytime religion or Christianity is mentioned.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait... so god was here, then he poofed rocks into existence that were already super old, then he put those rocks together to make Earth? Then he poofed all the animals, plants, etc on to it?

I know right??

Totally less reasonable than a fish leaping out of the ocean and saying "fuck it, I'm growing legs today!"

I'd love to hear how "knowledge" of the earth's true age -since lack thereof appears to be Tim's & Ben's fatal flaw- affects and/or improves your day to day.

Granted, I don't know you, but in one corner I see evidence of a surgeon and an athlete giving a lot of their energy and resources to improving others lives, and in the other corner I see someone that "harrumphs" on a message board anytime religion or Christianity is mentioned.

It's not about that one specific piece of information - I'm sure you know the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

It's indicative of a greater overarching reticence to accept things that can be scientifically proven, like the age of the earth (within some parameters, of course, models vary on the precise age, but the ballpark is 4.5 - 4.7 billion years). We can objectively prove that the 'young earth' theory is incorrect, yet Dr Carson refuses to accept that, because it contradicts what he believes, based on his holy book. That is a major failing, in my opinion, of someone looking to run for office.

The attitude of christianity in general seems to be that the bible holds all of the answers about everything in the universe; someone with this attitude is presumably less likely to place a high emphasis on research regarding the world around us, which is a big issue for me and a lot of other people.

Tim Tebow? I could give a fuck what he believes. I just don't think his ability justifies the inevitable media frenzy. The main points being raised are 'his QBR is as good as QBs X, y & Z but he's not given a chance when they are' - yet, how much media attention is paid to Thad Lewis? Maybe three lines on the day he signed. His job is to help install the new offence by throwing to third stringers, not bring in a butt-load more reporters.

I have always tried to take things to the bottom line even in my walk as a Christian. This is why I don't get hung up on arguing points of the bible such as the age of the earth. The bottom line is this. Jesus is either who He said He was or He wasn't. I believe Him. The oldest book in the bible is the book of Job that pre-dates Genesis by hundreds of years. The whole reason for the bible is found in Job. Job was a good, righteous man but as he was dying he knew he was not prepared to face God, he was burdened with guilt and sin. He says he knows there is absolutely nothing he could have done or ever have done to make himself right with God. Job said it was hopeless because he needed a mediator, one who had equal standing with both God and man to bridge the gap. The whole message of the bible is that mankind needs a mediator and that is the why of Jesus' coming, to bridge that gap:

Job Chapter 9

I know that You will not hold me innocent.
If I am condemned,
Why then do I labor in vain?
If I wash myself with snow water,
And cleanse my hands with soap,
Yet You will plunge me into the pit,
And my own clothes will abhor me.
“For He is not a man, as I am,
That I may answer Him,
And that we should go to court together.
Nor is there any mediator between us,
Who may lay his hand on us both.

1 Timothy 2:5 New International Version

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,

If that kind of deathbed comforting makes anyone feel better, then absolutely, more power to them, no problems with that. I know most people would be comforted by the thought that there's something after life, some place we and our loved ones go to.

I'm not entirely sure how it's related to what we talking about with competent reasoning skills, apart from the fact that if you look at only what we can observe, there's no evidence for any kind of after life.

Conservative brain surgeon says Earth is 6000 years old --- "sure"

Climatologist talks about climate change... --- "Screw the 'experts' and their liberal elitist education!"

Believing that the earth is only 6k yrs, old is almost as delusional as believing 'experts' always get it right.

Global warming is real. Man made global warming is bullshit.

So, ignorance is bliss?

Yeah, just go with that again.

Ignorance can be a non-derogatory term, and I'm sure that's they way you meant it (riiiight)...most people are ignorant of the laws of physics or nuclear engineering for example.

Of course ignorance can be bliss...your mom is happy because she thinks all the money you make comes from a legitimate job. :D

Yeah, just go with that again.

Ignorance can be a non-derogatory term, and I'm sure that's they way you meant it (riiiight)...most people are ignorant of the laws of physics or nuclear engineering for example.

Of course ignorance can be bliss...your mom is happy because she thinks all the money you make comes from a legitimate job.

Oh boy! We've reached the 'personal attacks for no reason' part of the conversation. I'd join in, but it's petty, immature and betrays a lack of ability to communicate on that actual subject. Oh, damn, guess I failed at not joining in.

Most people have a working understanding of physics, on the big things like gravity, force/drag/friction etc. though not on the actual mathematics of it, of course. That's a different type of ignorance. Example:

"We know the earth is really old, I don't know exactly how old, and it doesn't bother me, but I'm sure some people know it and it's important to them" - harmless ignorance

"Nobody knows how old the earth is, we can't be sure, and the bible says 6000 years, so I'm going to go with that" - bad ignorance.

Check that with Cal, who seems to disagree.

No, I don't think so. I think he's aware that there have been ice ages and global warming had to have taken place.

...warming such as the Medieval Warm Period when Greenland was a Viking tourist attraction lol.

That's why they called it Greenland.

Oh boy! We've reached the 'personal attacks for no reason' part of the conversation. I'd join in, but it's petty, immature and betrays a lack of ability to communicate on that actual subject. Oh, damn, guess I failed at not joining in.

Most people have a working understanding of physics, on the big things like gravity, force/drag/friction etc. though not on the actual mathematics of it, of course. That's a different type of ignorance. Example:

"We know the earth is really old, I don't know exactly how old, and it doesn't bother me, but I'm sure some people know it and it's important to them" - harmless ignorance

"Nobody knows how old the earth is, we can't be sure, and the bible says 6000 years, so I'm going to go with that" - bad ignorance.

Lighten up...I added a smiley. You OK now?

So how exactly does "bad ignorance" affect people like you and Woody other than being annoyed by it?

Lighten up...I added a smiley. You OK now?

So how exactly does "bad ignorance" affect people like you and Woody other than being annoyed by it?

Sure, I don't tend to get too annoyed by personal attacks - like I said, petty and immature, and bring nothing to the conversation. Never really got why insulting someone should endear you to them, but then it seems to work for some people.

As I spoke about before, if you want to accept that you don't know everything, that a brilliant place to start. Science makes that assumption - if science thought it knew everything, science would stop. If you *then* say "we don't know, we can't ever know" then you're basically saying there's no point trying to understand something you don't currently understand, and that's when it becomes bad ignorance.

Like, "we don't know why the terrorists are attacking us, we'll never know, it just is" then you're basically saying there's nothing that can be done to reduce or eliminate the attacks.

"We don't know what's causing the environment to change, the planet is big and complicated" - actually, we learn more and more every day about the planet and climate, and what causes things to change, and the impact humans have on it. Not even entertaining the idea that humans have had an impact could (would) be devastating if it turns out to be the case.

Is that a little clearer?

As far as my cat knows the universe is just under 2000 square feet, not counting the basement or the backyard that she sees through the window. she really can't comprehend the size of the city let alone the county, state, country or planet.

Still with the scientific evidence gathering ability available to her she knows where her bowl is and the location of the cat box.

When mankind is able to comprehend infinity, give me a call.

WSS

That's the bad kind of ignorance.

In fact, we have a pretty solid understanding of infinity, as it's just something without a limit. For example, there is an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and 1, or between 1 and 2, or any other pair of numbers. Due to the analogue nature of the human body, there are an infinite number of hand placements on a football.

We understand the difference between countable and uncountable infinity - the set of integers, for example, is countably infinite. You could try counting them, but they go on forever. The set of numbers between 0 and 1 is uncountable, because whenever you try to move from one number to the next, to count it, you can always take the average of the old number and new number, which means you have a new, new number to add. That makes that set uncountable.

We understand 'levels' of infinity. The infinite set of numbers between 0 and 1, is a different 'level' of infinite to the set of all numbers ever, for example.

So, thanks in large part to the work of George Cantor, we have a pretty solid understanding of infinity.

Bad ignorance.

I believe that the profound miracle and complexity of biological

life on this planet, especially the human body, and how our entire

global eco system works... is not a quirk of time accident.

I believe that my just being here, and being a kid that made it

to the sixth grade, was not an accident.

and, that science certainly cannot explain all of reality, so there is room

for the existence of God in it. When I was a kid, I was fascinated with

geology, and biology. I'm still a rock collector. still love the woods, creeks

and rivers...and mountains.. all of nature.

I also loved reading the Sherlock Holmes novels in the third grade, which one teacher

thought wasn't true, so she challenged me to read a SH story in front of the class.

I was reading the "Hound of the Baskervilles" - my favorite - and was really having

fun with it until she realized that she made herself look foolish, and finally apologized,

because I kept reading until she did.

Stupid teacher didn't have much sense of humor... she frowned at me the rest of the day. :)

And then in college I became fascinated with an assignment - to read Joseph Campbell's "Hero

of a Thousand Faces" - about the monomythical patterns in literature.

I don't see how science can explain the historical occurences of those patterns of human

adventure writing. So similar from the beginning of mankind writing to now.

I once was having this conversation with a couple of guys, in tech school at Keesler AFB, Mississippi,

and science and religion came up. I answered a guy's question about it by talking about the Hobbit triology I

was reading, and the monomyth, etc etc.

And he said, yeah, but that love for adventure can be explained by science - our brains have neurons,

etc etc etc etc. I said, sure, that's very true....but who put all that fascinating biological science into place and made it work?

Bad ignorance? I am crushed oh great one. I'm at least open minded enough to think that there is a good chance there are other populated and intelligent planets somewhere in the universe and upon those planets an equally good chance that the inhabitants are far more advanced than we are and might have all sorts of different insights as to physical science. Those of you ridiculously arrogant fools who believe the pinnacle of knowledge exists today right here on this earth are the ones I would call badly ignorant.

WSS

Bad ignorance? I am crushed oh great one. I'm at least open minded enough to think that there is a good chance there are other populated and intelligent planets somewhere in the universe and upon those planets an equally good chance that the inhabitants are far more advanced than we are and might have all sorts of different insights as to physical science. Those of you ridiculously arrogant fools who believe the pinnacle of knowledge exists today right here on this earth are the ones I would call badly ignorant.

WSS

I seem to have upset you? Not my intention. You said we don't know anything about infinity, and I showed you that we do.

I doubt you'll find any scientist anywhere that claims with 100% certainty that we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe.

Upset? Gosh no Chris. I assume ignorant is a term of endearment in Great Britain and just doesn't translate well into American English. You know, like arrogant cocksucker means buddy or PAL here.

:D

And for the record I say there's no way in hell science understands infinity.

And if you think that it's unlikely that there are advanced beings elsewhere in the universe well...

WSS

Upset? Gosh no Chris. I assume ignorant is a term of endearment in Great Britain and just doesn't translate well into American English. You know, like arrogant cocksucker means buddy or PAL here.

:D

And for the record I say there's no way in hell science understands infinity.

And if you think that it's unlikely that there are advanced beings elsewhere in the universe well...

WSS

When have I ever come close to saying there definitely aren't intelligent beings elsewhere?

As far as my cat knows the universe is just under 2000 square feet, not counting the basement or the backyard that she sees through the window. she really can't comprehend the size of the city let alone the county, state, country or planet.

Still with the scientific evidence gathering ability available to her she knows where her bowl is and the location of the cat box.

WSS

that cat might be smarter than you think. She might intrinsically be aware of the universe on a level that humans can't begin to comprehend.

WSS

I have some fish in a pond that firmly believe there is nothing outside of the pond.

WSS

LOL

I don't think anyone on here has stated that we know everything that will ever be known or has been known. The biggest difference between science and religion, when science comes to a question it can not answer, it tries to understand, learn, and one day find the answer....when religion, well god works in mysterious ways and if you question it your a heretic.

If that kind of deathbed comforting makes anyone feel better, then absolutely, more power to them, no problems with that. I know most people would be comforted by the thought that there's something after life, some place we and our loved ones go to.

I'm not entirely sure how it's related to what we talking about with competent reasoning skills, apart from the fact that if you look at only what we can observe, there's no evidence for any kind of after life.

Just giving you the reason for the bible.

As for the big bang theory there was an explosion and all the stars and planets came into being. All the planets in our solar system decided it was a good idea to rotate so they started rotating around the sun. On the earth was land and water and in the water were some one cell organisms that kept growing and expanding and turned into a fish. The fish grew some fins to swim better and then grew some gills to breathe and formed a couple eyes to see with. One day the fish decided to check out the land so it grew a couple legs, lost the fins and the gills healed up and became a frog. Then the frog decides to climb a tree and grew a tail and got hairy and gets some long legs and arms and swings from tree to tree. One day it missed a branch and fell to the ground, landed on it's feet and became a human.

So the big bang theory is Bang...here we are.

Most scientists (not all but most) do not believe anything exists that cannot be measured and so they only believe in a physical realm and not a spiritual realm. The bible says out of the spiritual realm came the physical realm. Heb 11:3 says things seen (physical) were created out of things that do not appear

Most scientists (not all but most) do not believe anything exists that cannot be measured and so they only believe in a physical realm and not a spiritual realm. The bible says out of the spiritual realm came the physical realm. Heb 11:3 says things seen (physical) were created out of things that do not appear

That actually does coincide with my own personal beleifs even though i'm not a Christian anymore. I do think everything that is...is a reflection, a poor one at that, of somewhere else. I actually do not believe that we're living in a place that the "real" god had any intention of us being.

Hi nerds. Uncle Ben's rice doesn't have a chance in hell of getting the nomination. 80% of Republicans, besides being closet queers are also racist. Can you say President Hillary Clinton.

Archived