THE BROWNS BOARD

DA deserves a shot in training camp. At the very least...

Guest mz.

Anderson had 2 W's over Baltimore on his resume, including a come from behind overtime win at M&T.

Quinn had a preseason stinker at Detroilet as his only career starting experience.

Only a BQ Fag has trouble seeing the logic there.

So you do not want to see what Quinn can do over the same amount of games DA was given? Interesting. Says a lot about your fear of Quinn and your lack of faith in DA. You truly know how to embrace the suckage, I will give you that.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lummy Dummy is the kind of guy I can visualize sitting in a cubicle jacking off to thumbnail pics of his lover DA...This moron wouldve been canned from this board long ago had I had My way to do so...Why we have to put up with this senseless jerk is beyond Me...Even if you ignore him you see ppls responses to him...We need to quit feeding him the bait and move on with our ownn football loving lives....

He got that chance and was so ineffective he was benched by his 3rd game.

Hahaha

C'mon everyone, lets all pay attention to Lumbergh!! Lets all laugh at him and call him ignorant!!! Lets call him an Asshole!!

Thats exactly why he says shit like this, to get a reaction out of everyone. Dont even respond to shit like this.

The real question we should be asking ourselves is this...

Since we dont really know what were going to get from DA (2007 or 2008?) we must ask ourselves, what is worth more a second round pick this year or Derek Anderson in 2007 with 29 Touchdown passes with a 10-6 record that diddnt get us into the playoffs?

If Lum is right, then we get the DA of 2007. Inconsistent, but pretty solid. If the rest of the nation is correct we get the Derek Anderson somewhere in between 2007-2008 which is not good enough.

We can either take the risk of getting one of those two ^

Or we can get a second rounder...

Which on of the three is the most valuable to you? Is the risk worth it? Think about it.

Guest John McClane
Well, I'm not buying into this. For one thing, we totally blew in 06 with the same cast of receivers, so obviously any QB wasn't going to succeed with all that "ridiculous talent" ... Charlie Frye didn't. And yes, I know Charlie Frye sucked ... but my point is ... Anderson doesn't.

Secondly, I'm not buying that defenses "didn't know his arm strength" at first, and then caught on. There are a lot of very smart people in the NFL who are paid a lot of money to scout the players your team faces. Anderson played in the PAC 10, three seasons of preseason games and four starts in 06 ... they knew his arm strength.

He had to think through the first half of 07 just as he did the second half. To me this is an example of the anti-DA bias on this board ... assumptions are made about to him to fit the argument that he blows and Quinn is the unquestioned answer.

I think Anderson actually is pretty good at reading blitzes, but gets fooled with coverages. He has a low percentage of getting sacked and a quick release, but he doesn't always recognize coverage schemes, which hurts him against the really smart defenses like Steelers, Ravens, Pats ... but then again, who excels against these defenses? And reading coverages is something that can be taught you don't give up on a 25 year old with a cannon and a quick release because he is still having problems with coverages.

Here's what frustrates me about Anderson: his inconsistency on short routes. He misses too many easy ones. That's why I give the edge to Quinn, especially in what I expect Daboli's system to be.

Otherwise I find some of the anti-DA stuff doesn't have real merit and I just think the kid is a real commodity that we don't want to jettison off too easily.

We haven't had a strong, consistent QB since Kosar was healthy in the late 80's. Teams like the Bears and the Lions seemingly NEVER find a franchise QB. We COULD be sitting on two of them. I'm just saying ... let's be smart about it.

Zombo

Has DA ever played any other sports in college? Just curious. You think if he played basketball that maybe he would know to to take a little something off those short passes. I would meake DA shoot 200 free throws everyday then we'll see how good his short game does! ;)

Here's what frustrates me about Anderson: his inconsistency on short routes. He misses too many easy ones.

Zombo

This is the most important quote in the entire thread, IMO.

Anderson has great potential. We all saw it in 07. That Bengals game was one of the most exciting I've seen in a long time.

.... However, the man cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a football if he were standing 2 feet in front of it. I always like how people call his arm a cannon. See, when I think of cannon, I think of the old smooth bore guns that had massive power behind them but no rifling to guarantee accuracy. Its fits all too well.

Look, I can't tell you how many times I sunk in my chair with a bout of absolute despair whenever I saw Anderson miss an easy one. It was a source of a lot of frustration for me. I cannot forgive that. The team cannot forgive that either. And although Mankok werent here to see it, you all can be sure they will take it into consideration.

This is why Quinn gets first shot. I see potential in that boy. He's a smart player, and has a good command of the players. I like his skill set (or what little we've seen of it). DA had plenty of chances to show us what he can do. Even when he was good in 07 he missed a lot of easy passes.... Its not that I hate him... but I did hate what he did. Maybe he will just continue to get better.... maybe he's suck at 08 DA... who knows? There's too many unknowns about him at this point.

I'd hate to say it, but unless a miracle happens and Anderson learns how to hit a moving target, ship him off. I'll tip my hat and say thanks for the memories... both good and bad.

Has DA ever played any other sports in college? Just curious. You think if he played basketball that maybe he would know to to take a little something off those short passes. I would meake DA shoot 200 free throws everyday then we'll see how good his short game does! ;)

Just out of curiosity, how many other NFL quarterbacks were 2 sport athletes in college?

By the way, DA was basketball player of the year at his level his senior year for the state of Oregon.... Ran hurdles in track too.

By the way, DA was basketball player of the year at his level his senior year for the state of Oregon.....

Yes, we know. Lummy has regaled us with many tawdry tales of self-pleasure while watching Derek dunk a basketball.

Guest John McClane
Just out of curiosity, how many other NFL quarterbacks were 2 sport athletes in college?

By the way, DA was basketball player of the year at his level his senior year for the state of Oregon.... Ran hurdles in track too.

Wow really? :huh: I guess the "shooters touch" eludes DA :rolleyes:

If he is indeed the Serial Drive Killer, then there's no way I'd want him QBing my team for another second.

But he's not. He's been posting during games, slobbering over DA and how the receiver should of ran the right route, or caught that 100mph fastball on the screen pass.

I actually think Lumbag is Sewage: Sewage is Lumbag.

The contract he gave Drive Assassin can only be explained by the beating ole Philly Shoe Shine (Lumberg) took on this board.

Translation:

DA's $5 mil roster bonus is our fault.

This thread very clearly ties in with the thread started by Inspecta stating he hates Romeo Crenell. The very reason this debate still goes on is cos Crenell did not give BQ enough starts for us to convince us that he is the real deal. As far as we know BQ, Harrison are still unproven players who show promising signs.

He got that chance and was so ineffective he was benched by his 3rd game.

Just returned from New York and the word is now that Mangini & Co. are not impressed with what they saw of Brady Quinn, they see him as more of a dink and dunker at QB and that Mangini will go with Anderson at QB this season has the Browns attempt to trade Brady Quinn on draft day.

Also don't be shocked if the Browns select a QB with that #5 pick as its said Mangini would like to have his own franchise QB to his liking and if Curry is gone at #5 the Browns could shock everyone and take a Stafford or Sanchez and have them sit for a year behind Anderson.

The Browns are in total rebuilt this year and they are stocking draft picks to make there run in 2010 with Manginis's own players

One rumored trade was Brady Quinn for D'Brickshaw Ferguson who would play RT for the Browns, the other was a 2nd round pick thru a 3rd team for Quinn

Brady Quinn is being shopped more than Anderson and the Jets, Lions, Bears and Tampa Bay have all shown interest

I can't fathom going into this season with both these guys on the roster and then judging the starter based on camp, practice and pre season games. We'll be splitting the reps with the ones, causing dissension and division among the players and fans and basically having the QB's as the headliners all year long, which leads to more dumbing down of a fan base. We've had enough of that here: between Couch/Holcomb, Dildofer/Frye, Frye/DA and DA/Queen I've heard enough inane conversation between news print and sports talk to last me two more lifetimes.

Honestly, this is the time of year when people, either involuntarily or not, seem to forget what they've seen with their own eyes. Perhaps some of us should go back and watch some film to remind ourselves. It should not even be necessary to bring up stats anymore. How about the play last year against Washington when Heiden was wide open on a perfectly designed 4th down play but DA couldn't get the ball to him off his back foot?

I just don't get it, he is what he is folks, which is a big armed guy with no pocket presence or command of an offense. He's horribly inaccurate and doesn't know how to keep the chains moving. It's done, kaput, been rehashed a million times, but now it's an annual thing of selective memory and hope, just like with Edwards and his ability to start catching passes.

Meanwhile, we have a promising QB that we gave up a first and second for waiting to take the reins and run with it as the starter. He deserves the same treatment as the Serial Drive Killer, which means going into the season as the unquestioned starter who gets all the reps with the first team so he can develop. This is what DA had last year, which was after a disappointing second half of 2007 that reminded us all who the real DA is. DA had close to 30 starts, Queen had one on two days prep where he lit it up and then got hurt. Tell me how it's possible to not give this guy the reins?

I've been saying this over and over like Flugs, but the point has to be made. Even if DA were to win the job based on mostly practice, what the hell does this prove? We already know what he is, and in practice QB's aren't getting hit and making plays. There aren't a whole lot of QB's in this league that are going to look even steven standing next to him in a practice situation, probably not more than 5. However, there are probably about 35 QB's in the league I'd rather have behind center when it counts. Another thing, I'm not at all convinced DA would be a good backup, it's just the opposite. He is a notoriously slow starter that takes awhile to find the mark. If he were to come into a game due to ineffectiveness or injury, you can't count on this guy to do anything but throw airballs. He throws the ball without reading the field and always has, it's what gave him temporary success before everybody caught on.

I knew Phillip was making a mistake committing to this guy but held out hope. All last year did was reconfirm what I already knew, yet now we're going through this all again. He's not competing with Don Strock for the gig, it's Queen.

What's really the most confounding out of all this is how badly we need his pick and what we can do with it. We've already lost a ton of value by committing to him and kept Queen from progressing, and now we're going to sit back and let a possible 2nd or 3rd go so he can compete? That 2nd could be the starting SS we need now that Jones is gone. I just can't imagine this regime doesn't know all this and realize this draft is perfect for second rounders that we so desperately need. This has gotta be posturing, there is no way these guys want QB division starting off the new regime, and there is no way they could choose Dexter Anderson over Queen based on prior performance.

I can't handle another QB battle. ONE OF THESE GUYS MUST GO! The headache is annoying.

Got any links there, Sony?

No links just heard on talk radio in New york, guy was talking with ex GM of the Redskins Charlie C.

Just don't be shocked if its Brady Quinn thats traded and not Anderson

People can say what they want about what Quinn did against Denver, but against a bad defense all he did was dink and dunk all night

Also I believe if Mangini was sold on Quinn Anderson would be gone by now, with him not being traded that says more of there lack of confidence in Quinn than what they think of Anderson, makes me think they feel they can win with Anderson and not sure about Quinn

No links just heard on talk radio in New york, guy was talking with ex GM of the Redskins Charlie C.

Just don't be shocked if its Brady Quinn thats traded and not Anderson

People can say what they want about what Quinn did against Denver, but against a bad defense all he did was dink and dunk all night

Also I believe if Mangini was sold on Quinn Anderson would be gone by now, with him not being traded that says more of there lack of confidence in Quinn than what they think of Anderson, makes me think they feel they can win with Anderson and not sure about Quinn

DA's trade value goes up 1-2 rounds by paying his bonus before we trade him. So by him not being gone now all it really says is that they want to maximize any value they get for him. Also, if they do decide to trade BQ I would not be shocked to see us draft a QB on day 1. But to say DA not being traded by now is any indication on Quinn's perceived value is just ignoring the reality of the situation.

DA's trade value goes up 1-2 rounds by paying his bonus before we trade him. So by him not being gone now all it really says is that they want to maximize any value they get for him. Also, if they do decide to trade BQ I would not be shocked to see us draft a QB on day 1. But to say DA not being traded by now is any indication on Quinn's perceived value is just ignoring the reality of the situation.

The coaching staff looks at film of practice everyday that we as fans don't get to see, as bad as Derek Anderson was playing don't you feel if they felt Quinn was that much better they would have went to him sooner than they did?

I was all for when we drafted Quinn, but I'm sorry I have not seen anything impressive about Brady Quinn that if I were a coach I would want to turn my team over to him

I see the reincarnation of Charlie Frye when I looked at Brady, just dink and dunk down the field with the defenses having no respect for the deep to intermediate passes just my IMO, how many passes over 10 yards did Quinn throw in the Denver or Buffalo game?

You gotta remember that it takes a trade partner to get a deal done. I don't see a whole lotta teams lining up to take DA off our hands. Nobody is going to take him until that bonus is paid. While I have heard of teams inquiring about Quinn. If nobody wants DA, then we might be stuck with him and his stupid contract! I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of confidence in Quinn. What has he done to deserve a lack of confidence when comparing the two of them? DA is the one who hase stunk up Cleveland for the past season and a half. Quinn hasn't had his chance. DA blew his! And, the offense favors Quinn as well as does the management staff.

You gotta remember that it takes a trade partner to get a deal done. I don't see a whole lotta teams lining up to take DA off our hands. Nobody is going to take him until that bonus is paid. While I have heard of teams inquiring about Quinn. If nobody wants DA, then we might be stuck with him and his stupid contract! I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of confidence in Quinn. What has he done to deserve a lack of confidence when comparing the two of them? DA is the one who hase stunk up Cleveland for the past season and a half. Quinn hasn't had his chance. DA blew his! And, the offense favors Quinn as well as does the management staff.

If I was a betting man I would say that DA will be the starting QB in 2009 and Brady Quinn will be traded on draft day or before

The coaching staff looks at film of practice everyday that we as fans don't get to see, as bad as Derek Anderson was playing don't you feel if they felt Quinn was that much better they would have went to him sooner than they did?

I was all for when we drafted Quinn, but I'm sorry I have not seen anything impressive about Brady Quinn that if I were a coach I would want to turn my team over to him

I see the reincarnation of Charlie Frye when I looked at Brady, just dink and dunk down the field with the defenses having no respect for the deep to intermediate passes just my IMO, how many passes over 10 yards did Quinn throw in the Denver or Buffalo game?

Dude, I never mentioned when Quinn got action. And it really isn't relevant b/c this is a new coach and FO. And my argument had nothing to do with saying Quinn's better than DA, so I am not even going to take that bait. What I said is that DA's trade value goes up by a round or more after we pay the bonus. And IMO we were NEVER going to trade him until the bonus was paid. So if you have something to say about that statement please do, but if you're going to try to paint me as a DA hater or Quinn lady then just ignore my comment please 'cause I am so tired of playing that 3rd grade game across a gament of boards.

Unless your name is Joe Thomas you are expendable.

The thought of high draft picks instead of the past regimes losers doesn't bother me a bit.

Any way you slice it, the only team since the return of the Browns to make the playoffs was Butches and they tore that up following year.

The idea of drafting a QB may very well be a smoke screen to perk interest in our own QB's.

Dude, I never mentioned when Quinn got action. And it really isn't relevant b/c this is a new coach and FO. And my argument had nothing to do with saying Quinn's better than DA, so I am not even going to take that bait. What I said is that DA's trade value goes up by a round or more after we pay the bonus. And IMO we were NEVER going to trade him until the bonus was paid. So if you have something to say about that statement please do, but if you're going to try to paint me as a DA hater or Quinn lady then just ignore my comment please 'cause I am so tired of playing that 3rd grade game across a gament of boards.

Not trying to bait you into anything

I will say I agree with you that if the Browns want to trade Anderson it will be easier after the bonus is paid, fact is Anderson gets his money this year or next year regarding that bonus so its not as important as some feel.

My biggest question and again I'm not trying to bait you into anything or turn this into a DA vs BQ thing but if DA is as bad as Browns fans say he is why would another team give up a 1st or 2nd round pick? and if a team does give up that much is that saying DA is better than what most Browns fans think of him.

DA has proven he can win in this league BQ has not proven anything

Do you think Mangini might just want his own type of QB and that DA and BQ is not what he wants and if we are into rebuilt mode might Mangini feel better rebuilding with his QB of choice and getting rid of who brings the most value Anderson or Quinn or both and bringing in a veteran to mentor a QB drafted in round 1 or 2. What if Josh Freeman is available in round 2 if Mangini like him do you consider him?

Again...this is all heresay by someone who was listening to the radio in NY...More rumours are spread like viruses...until something comes to real fruition...both QB's are on the team......All I can say is if were stuck with DA as the starter...This franchise has lost all football credibility IMHO...And It would be a monumental 1st for a team to go through as much as they did to draft Quinn and trade him without giving Him a valid shot.

The bottom line is We all want this team to succeed...And that starts with good QB and and good RB...and being solid in the trenches both sides of the ball...Most fans here in C-town understand that...The problem is we never seem to hire the right coaching and draft the right players...And we never seem to hire "A coach" who understands the "Rivalry"

Sooner or later Season Ticket owners will eventually get fed up and not re-up...And that would be a sad statement for a franchise that has been known for "OFFENSE' and innovations in the game of football...Im beginning to see Rich's side of things...but maybe not all the way to His extreme bantering...This was a Franchise that set the Hallmark for the way the game of football is played today...

Im getting sick of these cockamamie assholes comming in and effing this team up.....Unfortunately...I really doont see things getting any better...I hope Im proven wrong...

Not trying to bait you into anything

I will say I agree with you that if the Browns want to trade Anderson it will be easier after the bonus is paid, fact is Anderson gets his money this year or next year regarding that bonus so its not as important as some feel.

My biggest question and again I'm not trying to bait you into anything or turn this into a DA vs BQ thing but if DA is as bad as Browns fans say he is why would another team give up a 1st or 2nd round pick? and if a team does give up that much is that saying DA is better than what most Browns fans think of him.

DA has proven he can win in this league BQ has not proven anything

Do you think Mangini might just want his own type of QB and that DA and BQ is not what he wants and if we are into rebuilt mode might Mangini feel better rebuilding with his QB of choice and getting rid of who brings the most value Anderson or Quinn or both and bringing in a veteran to mentor a QB drafted in round 1 or 2. What if Josh Freeman is available in round 2 if Mangini like him do you consider him?

It is entirely possible that Mangini truly isn't sold on either. And I have been on record all along that if they're not sold then they should trade the one with the most value. Ironically I think the fact that they have more tape on DA maybe why they go with BQ. And this is just personal opinion but while I haven't seen enough of BQ to really know what we have; I have seen enough of DA for me to think he will never be consistent enough to win on this team, in this weather and for this fan base. The fans gave it to him last year, bad, and he didn't handle it very well at all. But was he has going for him, is that our organization was ran like a joke last year and he has physical tools out the ass. Plus coaches in the NFL have ego's like no other. All it takes is for one coach to look at his physical tools, look it how the Browns has a whole were ran last year, and say I can make this guy a stud.

If I was a betting man I would say that DA will be the starting QB in 2009 and Brady Quinn will be traded on draft day or before

If you were a betting man you'd be broke then...........................

Dabol spent 3 days with Weis the week before last and meets continually with Quinn to work on the play book. They are together one or two days a week.

Anderson is in Ariz or Palm springs playing golf, he isn't even working out with the team.

Maybe there is a clue there that Mangini does have the QB he wants and is committed to. What do you expect him to say, Anderson don't fit here and we want to trade him. That sure would help his trade value. You got a lot of speculation and opinions and no facts. Quinn is at Berea almost every day and has been working with the new staff........DUH

The front office is running a tight ship and all we can do is speculate.

We're either waiting to pay DA's bonus so we could get a 2nd or 3rd for him OR they're not sold on either QB.

DA isn't going to fit a ball control offense. He's eratic with a big gun, not someone you want to manage a game, more of the gunslinger you want if you're behind.

So you have to ask yourself, does either qb fit?

If one does you stick with him, if neither is you take what picks you can get and draft the guy that does fit.

IMHO, it's Quinn or we draft a guy and we're waiting for DA's bonus to increase his trade value to grab a mid to late 2nd rounder.

If it's not Quinn we pay DA's bonus, move him and move Quinn draft day.

I'm NOT saying DA can't be a good qb, but he just doesn't fit the system we're going towards. Plenty of other teams wanting an attacking air offense would probably be more willing to gamble on DA who has shown he CAN throw the ball deep to mid range when surrounded by talent and protected because then you KNOW what you're getting and what pieces you need to win with him.

Another poster spouting about Quinn being a dink and dunker huh? Looks like Frye huh?

Unreal.

Frye was known to not have an arm. Quinn was referred to having more than enough arm for the NFL. Does Quinn have Anderson's arm? Nope. Does Quinn have Brees' arm? More.

Get off it. Fact is we flat out don't know what Quinn can or can't do in the NFL. With DA we've got a better idea. Pretty simple.

I also wouldn't use New York sports talk radio as a source for anything.

Also I believe if Mangini was sold on Quinn Anderson would be gone by now

I really don't know if you can make that determination. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes. But you gat bet that if DA is still here once OTA time rolls around, there will (and should be) a very good competition.

I would like to point out that a "big armed gunslinger" got our current coach's ass fired at his last gig trying to run a ball control offense and poor old DA may have a strike against him BEFORE the tapes are even ran.

He also saved the coach's job for a year.

Here's a couple of questions:

When a team sucks, has a simple coaching change ever helped, or did they have to get rid of the starters, ESPECIALLY the QB to get better? Has any mediocre QB ever bloomed under a new coach?

If the answer to both is no, then they definitely need to ditch DA. If not, then lets see what the new coaches have in mind before we assume major staffing changes at the player level.

Fact is we flat out don't know what Quinn can or can't do in the NFL.

you don't have the practice tapes. But Mangini does.

You also urgently want to believe that a bruised finger is the sole cause for Quinn's poor play, thinking that all parties interested should throw those games out the window. That may not be reality.

Fact is, Mangini and Co have a pretty good idea of what "Charlie" Quinn brings to the table whether you like it or not.

Archived