THE BROWNS BOARD

DA to Detroit Not Dead

WPB Dawg Fan

When the Lions made the attempt to trade for Cutler it showed that the Lions were in the market for a big armed QB. They also have Culpepper on the squad (big arm, not very mobile). And have recently released Orlovsky.

Add all this together and it seems to me that the Lions could be VERY interested in DA should they be unable to pry Cutler out of Denver.....and I am not alone in thinking this:

Lions still interested in Cutler?

Jay Cutler | Broncos | Interested: Lions?

While the weekend rumors of a trade that would have brought Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler to the Detroit Lions proved to be just that, Tom Kowalski of MLive.com doesn't think that the story is over.

Within the past two weeks, the Lions have elected not to re-sign Dan Orlovsky and have traded Jon Kitna. This would lead us to believe the rumblings of Orlovsky and Mike Furrey, both of whom said on their way out of town that the team was set on moving forward with Daunte Culpepper as the team's No. 1 quarterback.

But this clearing of bodies on the quarterback depth chart could also mean that the team is hellbent on bringing in another QB via trade, be it Cutler or Derek Anderson of the Cleveland Browns, and Kowalski is of the opinion that the restructuring of Culpepper's contract was done so that they could potentially cut him before the bonuses kick in. If this is the case, the Lions will hope that the storm brewing in Denver reaches a boiling point and the Broncos are forced to move Cutler, in which case the Lions will gladly step in as a willing trade partner before releasing Culpepper.

Cutler threw for 4,526 yards in 2008 with 25 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. While the Vanderbilt alum has developed good chemistry with wide receiver Brandon Marshall in Denver, he would also have an electrifying target with the Lions in Calvin Johnson.

This comes from ESPN Rumors.

At any rate...Detroit still has the picks to get the trade done...they have the cap space...and then there is the comparable cost of each of the QB's:

Cutler is going to take a 1st rounder to get. He has a rocket arm and is mobile....but he does have the down side of having diabetes that, while it hasn't effected his on-field play yet, could cause him some playing time down the road. And his contract (due to incentives) is pretty large:

7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $47.86 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $1.7 million signing bonus. 2009: $1.035 million, 2010: $1.4225 million, 2011: $1.81 million, 2012: Free Agent. 45% of the deal's max value is performance incentives. Among them is a $1.95 million escalator for any year of 2006-2010 that he finishes in the top five in any of the NFL's major passing categories, as well as a $4 million bonus for taking 60% of the snaps in any of 2006-2008 or 70% in 2009. There also is a $500,000 bonus available 2006-2010 for taking 70% of the snaps and either taking 70% of the snaps in a Super Bowl or winning a Super Bowl.

Stafford is going to take the #1 overall pick to get...and the HUGE signing bonus...and is an UNDERCLASSMAN QB (notorious for busting). And here is his draft profile:

Matt Stafford's Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Average height, but has great bulk ... Born with a rocket launcher for a right arm ... Throws the ball with a nice, tight spiral consistently ... Puts great touch on fade routes ... Displays a compact release ... Secures the football in the pocket ... Plays in a pro-style offense and is well coached ... Has a lot of experience against top competition as a 3 year starter ... More productive in junior season than he was in past ... Upside warrants a top three pick.

Weaknesses: Drop could be much quicker ... Sluggish footwork at times ... Throws off his back foot more than he should and it leads to poor accuracy ... Puts too much zip on the football on intermediate and crossing routes ... Doesn't sell the play action as well as he could ... Not going to elude pressure in the pocket, but does a decent job of moving the chains with his feet ... Doesn't show an understanding to audible into the correct pass protection or diagnose coverages.

Do any of those weaknesses sound familiar?

Then you have DA. He has a manageable contract...a year and a half as starter in the NFL...and a rocket arm. He can be had for either their #33 pick or a combination of other picks/players.

When it all comes down to it....DA is still a very viable option for the Lions.

trading for da puts them in the same position as having culpepper. a big guy with a big arm that is a statue. although that 33rd overall pick does sound delicious. we would have to give up something else to get it.

the problem is people look at these things in a vacuum. each trade is done with other moves in mind.

In this case...

Cutler is going to cost more $ and the #20 pick at a minimum. That means they are out of the running for the top players in certain areas. For example...if they go LT at #1...they won't get one of the better DL/LB's at #33....if they go LB (Curry), the are out of the running for the top LT's.

Stafford is going to cost them more $ AND the #1 overall. That means they are out of the running for the top LT's.

However, if they go DA at #33, they still have #1 AND #20 and can get BOTH a top tier LB and LT. And all of this for less money under the cap than either of the two previously mentioned scenarios....which means they can be more active in FA.

trading for da puts them in the same position as having culpepper. a big guy with a big arm that is a statue. although that 33rd overall pick does sound delicious. we would have to give up something else to get it.

I dont know if there is any validity to this rumor, but their retention of Culpepper makes it more, not less, likely in my opinion. They have committed themselves to running an offense with "a big guy with a big arm that is a statue" as you put it. But clearly Culpepper isnt a long-term solution. By bringing in DA, they have a guy that can run Culpepper's offense, maybe do it better, and certainly do it for longer.

It makes great sense from both sides. The big question..................Do they (or anyone outside of Cleveland) see DA as a viable starter?

I think spending the #1 pick on Stafford or Sanchez this year is stupid. Even though Anderson is iffy he allows them to compete and add quality players in core positions by giving up a 2nd (still having 2 1st and a 2nd). Getting a LT, LB, DL, etc. to improve the team NOW...and the right way...from the inside out.

Since sources have already told us (numerous times) that they have been seen shopping DA early on...I'll go with YES. They are interested in trading DA. Will that happen? Not sure. His value is significantly less following the FA QB moves and trades. If you can't get value out of a guy you don't trade him. We'll see if our perceived value is what others see it as soon.

I honestly don't think Detroit is ready for another 0-16 season. They will find a better Qb

It isn't too hard to win 1 game in the NFL. While I think you're right about the Lions...Adding a LT and LB in the first round gives you a giant step forward in terms of last year. Add in some of the decent players the already have, the other high draft picks, and a QB that can simply compete and you've already got 4-5 wins. They've been looking for the home run hit for far too long...it's time to play it simple and smart. Build slowly and for the future. I know the NFL is a win now league but 4-6 wins this year would be a gigantic step for them.

Oh, I don't agree, Plat. The Lions know full well nobody gets real value for super high picks. A starting QB and only dropping four spots would flip their ovaries in a big, big way.

But the 1 vs the 5 means you get your man (if you have one), vs. hoping you get your man because he's still on the board. So it's worth alot to some people. You know all about those charts that describe the value of each pick vs. the next pick I'm sure.

If they consider DA a starting QB, then maybe they would go for that. I know if I'm a Browns fan, I do it, and I take Curry, but if I'm a Lions fan, I have to think to myself, now I don't get the guy I wanted for sure, and I get a QB that may be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade? DA could barely hack it on a team with some talent. Stick him on an 0-16 team with 1 good receiver and no offensive line, and maybe he sucks even worse!

Or if someone is even interested in him. I don't think many teams are.

I have read a ton of comments about this.

Cassel was the 'ice breaker'. DA will now be next in line for most teams...and he will not get huge interest until it is clear what the Browns are going to do about the $5M bonus.

Why trade for him now when there is a chance he will be released?

Why trade for him now when there is a chance the Browns will eat the $5M and then trade him?

His value is on the upswing...and will only increase as the asking price for other QB's gets out.

If Detriot was considering Cutler then they would consider Anderson. Cutler isn't much more accurate then Anderson and they play the same strong arm stretch the field type game. Usually lower completion % and higher in Ints VS TDs.

Detroit makes sense, Jets make sense, Bears make Sense, Tampa makes Sense and the Broncos would make sense if they traded Cutler. So, there are options. And IMO, I believeAnderson is being shopped, but this organization doesn't let the cat out of the bag and play to the media. You just have to wait until after the bonus is paid which makes him very marketable. Then, a new team would be paying him backup salary for 2009 and all his contract guarantees would be met.

Cleveland's best bet, for now, is for someone to step forward and agree to pay a portion of the bonus and give a little lower pick. If that doesn't happen then they wait until after March 13th and start fielding offers. Hey, it might go all the way to draft day.

can Detroit win with culpepper, or are they looking for another qb?

i wouldn't want to gamble on culpepps, but maybe they are "rebuilding"

they redid his contract WITHOUT the bonus so now he can be cut without a major cap hit...so I think Culpepper is their hedging the bet guy

The real questions is whether Cleveland is interested in trading Anderson.

Looks like his exchange value is somewhere between Charlie Frye and waterboy. Next year at this time, we'll see if we can get some sweat on work release from prison that needs a job cleaning toilets and mopping floors.

Your boyfriend is really kicking ass out there in the open market Loverboy.

- Tom F.

Archived