THE BROWNS BOARD

Two Vols Notes

dencyguy

1) So Tennessee has been waiting, not so patiently, to hear back from their last two recruits, both RBs. All you hear around Knoxville is how tired people are of getting jerked around by these no-good punks (except on days when they're leaning towards UT, in which case they're bright young men who are taking the time and making the decision the right way. One problem that UT has going forward: there's no particular indication that we have a QB for this year, much less for next year. Too bad lightning only strikes once when it comes to landing the son of a legendary QB, right? Oh, wait, Joe Montana's kid seems to be almost begging UT to offer him a scholarship.

>>Nick Montana is patiently waiting on Tennessee - for now.

"I'm not going to wait around for them," the highly touted quarterback from Oaks Christian Academy in Westlake Village, Calif., said Thursday. "I'm going to visit a couple of other schools and if I feel one's the best fit, I'm done."

Montana, son of NFL Hall of Famer Joe Montana, isn't trying to give UT an ultimatum, but he would like to get the process over with and he hopes the Vols make him an offer.

"They're definitely still in it," the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder said. "I'm not going to wait around, but there would definitely be a lot of interest (if UT offered)."<<

Well, it's probably just some kid trying to trade on his name to get some inexperienced coach to sign him without enough thought. Oh, wait, from later on in the article:

>>Montana already has offers from Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Alabama, Stanford, Maryland, Arizona, Nebraska and Ohio State. He's waiting on UT, Southern California and UCLA. <<

Fortunately, Kiffin realizes that he's got Montana where he wants him, because nobody would be interested in signing with schools that no-one has ever heard of.

2) A couple of weeks ago, the UT Lady Vols had one of those "Live Pink" games that are popular these days. Great event, 15,000 people there, lots of money raised for breast cancer research, it was a great time at the game. At halftime, Bruce Pearl comes out and emcees a free-throw shooting contest for charity. One of the guys shooting was Kiffin. Ballpeen would enjoy this for two reasons: 1) Lane Kiffin shoots like a girl, and missed most of, if not all of, his shots. 2) While he was missing most of his shots, Pearl comes over with a microphone to give him a hard time. A particularly observant fan sitting a couple of rows behind me yelled, "FOR GOD'S SAKE, KEEP THAT MICROPHONE AWAY FROM HIM!"

Dennis

I saw his shooting skills on the local TV. It was pretty limp.

As for Montana, I hadn't heard that. Seems like a no brainer since the other schools on his trail aren't exactly slouches. I did find it interesting Notre Dame isn't on the list. I wonder if that is oversight by the writer. Notre Dame usually goes hard for legacy players.

I know the yee-haws are hot and heavy on the Lane Train, but as of how he has only managed to tick off a few of his colleagues in the SEC.

I guess he has what it takes to back it up.

9-19 we find out.

Montana, son of NFL Hall of Famer Joe Montana, isn't trying to give UT an ultimatum, but he would like to get the process over with and he hopes the Vols make him an offer.

"They're definitely still in it," the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder said. "I'm not going to wait around, but there would definitely be a lot of interest (if UT offered)."<<

Well, it's probably just some kid trying to trade on his name to get some inexperienced coach to sign him without enough thought. Oh, wait, from later on in the article:

>>Montana already has offers from Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Alabama, Stanford, Maryland, Arizona, Nebraska and Ohio State. He's waiting on UT, Southern California and UCLA. <<

I wonder if Notre Dame wasn't interested in him, or if he wasn't interested in Notre Dame...

Zombo

I wonder if Notre Dame wasn't interested in him, or if he wasn't interested in Notre Dame...

Zombo

Notre Dame has offered Montana. The schools that have offered and that Montana is interesting in at the moment is

Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, South Carolina, LSU and Stanford.

I'm really surprised Alabama, OSU and LSU has offered. He's 6'1" and 180 lbs. That is short and skinny for a major

Division 1 quarterback.

I've heard he's going to be rated as just a three star recruit. No big prize.

I think if his name were Joe Smith he'd be lucky to get any major Division 1 offers.

Notre Dame has offered Montana. The schools that have offered and that Montana is interesting in at the moment is

Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, South Carolina, LSU and Stanford.

I'm really surprised Alabama, OSU and LSU has offered. He's 6'1" and 180 lbs. That is short and skinny for a major

Division 1 quarterback.

I've heard he's going to be rated as just a three star recruit. No big prize.

I think if his name were Joe Smith he'd be lucky to get any major Division 1 offers.

From what I read somewhere, the book on Lil' Montana is that if he adds another, say, 25 pounds, he can be a very good college QB. My main concern is that the UT doesn't have any particular quality at QB--Jonathan Crompton was horrible last year, and Nick Stephens throws a tantrum whenever he gets intercepted. Here are two signs of just how bad it was last season:

1) In the Vanderbilt game, with no injuries, five different players took snaps at QB. Granted, they ran several versions of the WildDawg formation in the game, but do you think they would have had five different guys behind center with Eli Manning? Heck, with Tee Martin?

2) In just about every game, people were praying that the team would score a quick touchdown so that they could take the ball out of the QB's hands. Granted, you want to take some air out of the ball when you're up ten with five minutes to go, but people were pulling their hair out when one of the knuckleheads got to throw the ball up 3-0 in the first quarter.

It doesn't particularly matter if Lil' Montana is the next Peyton or Eli, or the next Chris Simms; I'd settle for Mike Pagel's cross-eyed daughter at this point.

Dennis

So Dency....you that big a Vol fan??

My wife is a Vol.

I have held Gator season tickets since 76. I can't help you with seats in Gainesville.....my extras have been spoken for by my buddy and seat neighbor for a long, long, time, but I usually get on the list for tickets up in Knoxville.

My wife usually goes, but sometimes refuses to sit with a bunch of Gators....says she has done it enough going down to Gainesville with me over the years and seeks seats of her own....which is fine with me.

Anyway, one of these years I may have a extra up in Knoxville, and when that happens, I will let you know.

Don't worry....I won't demand you wear Gator gear even though it would most definitely sharpen your appearance, but I will insist you do the Gator Chomp with unabashed abandon once we score and it is clear we are going to win the game.

Naturally, I sing Rocky Top if it turns the other way....but that isn't a big for me...I like the song.

You know you stole Rocky Top from UTC don't you?? Really....not joking

OK....I am feeling the love dude...I love Tennessee(just not the football team)

Here is a band I really like...the Osborne Brothers....they do it right, since they started it.

• 3 months later...

Wow, step away from the boards for a little while...

I knew I had taken some time off, but it wasn't until today that I realized just how long it's been since I've been around.

Sorry for the delay in responding, Ballpeen. I've sort of become that big of a Vol fan by osmosis. I'm in grad school at UT, and before then I was never that obsessive about college football (going to the University of Dayton, where our football team was good, but apparently theoretical, as it was impossible to find someone who had ever attended a game, will do that to you). But the first time I went to a UT game and saw the sea of orange at Neyland Stadium, I was hooked. I still can't stand "Rocky Top," though--when I told my students that one day, I got heckled.

I get student tickets reasonably cheap, but I wouldn't be averse to sitting in "enemy territory" for a game. And I'm not the type to cause problems with visiting fans, so no need to worry about an international incident.

The Gators come to Knoxville in 2010, so you might be coming around just in time to catch the Lane Kiffin Farewell Tour. Actually, I like some of the things that he's done so far, and he's got a good staff, but he also comes across as so reckless and arrogant that the wheels could fall off really easily. The fact that so far he's recruited more convicted rapists than quarterbacks is also unsettling.

Dennis

Archived