THE BROWNS BOARD

A note to those who want to dump Braylon Edwards.

Guest mz.

Dear fellow Browns Fans,

HUH???

I know, I know. The guy had a beyond-shitty season in '08. He dropped everything in sight. But you'd be hard-pressed to find more than five NFL receivers with more sheer talent. He, like many other top-notch receivers, is a diva. When things go bad, he goes bad. When things go well, he goes well. Just look at a guy like Randy Moss. Terrell Owens. Brandon Marshall. Roy Williams. Steve Smith. All bitch when they're losing. All shut up when they're winning. All very good to great receivers. Unfortunately, Braylon isn't Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. He has an attitude. But shipping him isn't the answer, because we aren't likely to get anyone near his caliber, talent-wise, in return or through a draft pick. Guys this talented are rare. So unless ARI or HOU come calling, we shouldn't answer the phone.

Perhaps now we can start trying to win.

Love,

Mike

Dear mike,

What would be better a guy with less talent and paid less, but catches everything thrown at him

If you can prove to me how a guy with less talent makes more catches, let me in on the secret.

unless you think Indianapolis just really knows WRs or Moss just had an off year in Oakland, right?

I do 100% believe that Harrison and Wayne are top-notch receivers, and Moss quit on his team while he was in OAK. Don't you?

Who are Phil Rivers receivers, and that SOB had a CRAZY year passing the ball. Best in the league, in fact.

He has Antonio Gates, the top receiving TE in football, Tomlinson and Sproles, who are two awesome receivers out of the backfield, and a slew of tall, rangy #2 receivers (Jackson, Chambers, Floyd). That's some good targets. Rivers is OK, but he does have a good amount of weapons around him.

A team obviously needs both to have the best chance of succeeding. The Pats and Brady were able to do it because, well, they're the Pats. That's my explanation and I'm sticking by it. :)

If your quarterback is playing really well, if he's married to the right offense, and if pass protection is good... there are an awful lot of guys who could catch the passes he throws.

Edwards, prior to last season, made many catches other guys don't. This kind of talent helps. It does.

Dear fellow Browns Fans,

HUH???

I know, I know. The guy had a beyond-shitty season in '08. He dropped everything in sight. But you'd be hard-pressed to find more than five NFL receivers with more sheer talent. He, like many other top-notch receivers, is a diva. When things go bad, he goes bad. When things go well, he goes well. Just look at a guy like Randy Moss. Terrell Owens. Brandon Marshall. Roy Williams. Steve Smith. All bitch when they're losing. All shut up when they're winning. All very good to great receivers. Unfortunately, Braylon isn't Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. He has an attitude. But shipping him isn't the answer, because we aren't likely to get anyone near his caliber, talent-wise, in return or through a draft pick. Guys this talented are rare. So unless ARI or HOU come calling, we shouldn't answer the phone.

Perhaps now we can start trying to win.

Love,

Mike

dear mike,

the reason to dump BE has nothing to do with talent or dropped passes . It has to do to the fact he'll be a free agent next year. He doesn't want to be a Brown and wants the Fack out of OHIO. It is about getting something Now, while we can get something for him, otherwise he'll be gone next year without anything more than a compensatory pick in last part of third round! I personally think we can do way better than that and would try to get him to the eagles or Giants as soon as I could for a late first rounder if possible or somewhere in the NFC. He will not be a Brown after next year!

That is why I want him gone!

sincerely,

Jim

Dearest Mike,

You ignorant gay Southern Californian ad slut.

WRs are about as good as the quarterback throwing to them, unless you think Indianapolis just really knows WRs or Moss just had an off year in Oakland, right? Who are Phil Rivers receivers, and that SOB had a CRAZY year passing the ball. Best in the league, in fact.

The truth is, guys who can run and catch aren't as rare as they'd like us to believe. They're great when the quarterback play is good and pretty bad when it isn't, at least that's the way it's played. It's also about how many balls come your way -- KJ was something special when he had 20 opportunities a game from Couch. Not so much when he only got 8-10.

Hell, prior to Moss, the Patriots won a few Super Bowls and I can't even remember their wide receivers. On the other hand, Calvin Johnson is the most talented WR in the history of hands... and he went 0-16. That was his effect on the bottom line given a shaky QB situation.

If your quarterback is playing really well, if he's married to the right offense, and if pass protection is good... there are an awful lot of guys who could catch the passes he throws. Like you, I doubt that Edwards' 2008 is really emblematic of who he is, but who he is does include dropping more than his share of passes year after year. We can do as well with a high second round pick (Hakeem Nicks) and a free agent like Laveranus Coles or Devery Henderson along with Stallworth, Steptoe, and Hubbard.

Braylon is not as great as mz the pussy makes him out to be. He has an extreme attitude. He belongs in a tinsel town atmosphere (i.e. = not Cleveland). Ship him to NY, Miami or PHI.

i think that we should get rid of him because we won't sign him back next year and that we should get something for him while we can. i don't necessarily agree that he has as much talent as other top notch receivers. his speed isn't that good for a number 1 receiver. i remember a couple years ago that troy palamalu chased him down... from 15 yards back. braylon also years footsteps way too much. this passed year in the final game he ducked out from a pass because he heard palamalu bearing down on him. with k2 gone i see him being double covered way more this season. also i expect now that k2 is gone that braylon will bitch more about things as the season gets closer. for those reasons i believe that we should trade him while we can. mankok is going to continue to clean house and i see braylon getting shipped out fairly soon.

the reason to dump BE has nothing to do with talent or dropped passes . It has to do to the fact he'll be a free agent next year. He doesn't want to be a Brown and wants the Fack out of OHIO.

Thank you for your response, Jim, and that scares me a little, too. But if we offered him a lucrative extension, I'm sure he'd take it faster than you can say 'Josh Freeman.' ;)

Dear mike,

Braylon is a cancer to this team he is a me first and only player that has mental issues and a bad attitude and once he was figured out on film he had no moves to counter coverage no hands to catch and no heart to try and he gave up on the field,he is a quitter that blames everyone and everything but himself including the fans...he made DA look like he was the worst qb to ever play the game and had bq looking just as bad..BE isnt a guy you can depend on like your no#1 should be..he is far from the type of player mankok describes as players they want as a matter of fact he is just the reverse of what they are looking for..

I know its tempting to keep him around and hope he snaps out of last years bad run but if we risk it and he fails to produce again he may take our qb down with him and niether would have any trade value at all..i think the 2008 BE is the real BE the 2007 BE was a fluke that was solved mid season 2007 when opponents studied our film and found the DA/BE connection was easy to solve and BE became frustrated from that point on that he couldnt break coverage anymore..he isnt fast enough or slick enough to get away from double coverage and he couldnt hold on to the ball when he did...he cant deal with just being a decoy as he wants all the glory yet lacks the heart and innovation to make it happen at the qbs expense..

Shep come on, not "it is all about the QB" again.

Look when the QB is good, the better WR's make it happen. Good QB play does not mean mediocre WR's get you to the Super Bowl. You need a very good WR on one side to tilt coverage.

I dont care who is playing QB, you need a good WR like BE.

Look when the QB is good, the better WR's make it happen. Good QB play does not mean mediocre WR's get you to the Super Bowl. You need a very good WR on one side to tilt coverage.

Butterfingers like so many other savage 1 hit wonders is not as complete or as good a WR as many percieve he frustrates easily and has no solutions to certain coverages and now that kw2 is gone we have no hands or open option at all..we should deal edwards its not like we are going anywhere this year so we should start seeking a new slot 1 that fits the mankok prototype..

DA looked bad because he drank butterfingers kewl-aid and tried to connect with him when he shouldnt have to many times after all your number 1 is the guy thats suppose to make it happen but braylon couldnt..

I'm not sure I buy the "Number One Receiver" concept. Brady never has a problem with two good receivers and neither does Phil Rivers. Harrison goes down in Indy and someone else steps up. Favre has thrown to some insane number of receivers and not all of them were awesome... especially when they left.

It's not ALL the quarterback. It's just that nothing else comes remotely close... in all of team sports. WRs are WAY more dependent on QBs than the other way around. More guys can run and catch than play QB in the NFL.

(Say, remember when Mike Vick had shitty receivers, one of them named Roddy White and another named Michael Jenkins?)

That said, a quarterback is pretty damn dependent on getting solid pass protection.

The slot 1 guy has to be dangerous to open things up elsewhere he also has to accept the fact he is often a decoy instead of the target braylon doesnt like being a decoy and yet often didnt even look back to see if he was the target letting the ball sail right past him..

What im trying to get at is braylon wasnt a convincing decoy or even an aware reciever half the time out there defenders had him frustrated and they knew it..braylon knows he is not all that great but wants to blame anything and everything for his shortcomings..

mz the pussy I agree with you.

Edwards suffered early from an ankle injury. Any of you couch potatos ever tried to do anything w/ a lacerated ankle?

While playing gimp on the ankle he got a shoulder injury. He dropped some balls early on, then later in the season he just didn't give a fook. Edwards is 100% correct on him being from Michigan leading to criticism.

The guy has more talent then just about every WR in the league, except the elite 3. He will not be traded. He will have another performance like 2007, which by the way, is the most successful season for a WR in Cleveland Browns History.

I'm not sure I buy the "Number One Receiver" concept. Brady never has a problem with two good receivers and neither does Phil Rivers. Harrison goes down in Indy and someone else steps up. Favre has thrown to some insane number of receivers and not all of them were awesome... especially when they left.

You examples are Brady, Manning, Favre, and the guy who had a great year last season. Manning went from one #1 to another, Brady and Favre are freaks, and Rivers had an exceltional season.

You need a good #1. Doesn't have to be Edwards, but without Edwards we don't scare anyone. We, the Browns, need him or a just as good replacement. Coles isn't it.

Using Manning, Favre and Brady as examples of guys who didn't need a number 1 - and you're wrong about Manning, by the way - is not a convincing argument that teams do without. Some - very, very few - can do it.

mz the pussy I agree with you.

Edwards suffered early from an ankle injury. Any of you couch potatos ever tried to do anything w/ a lacerated ankle?

While playing gimp on the ankle he got a shoulder injury. He dropped some balls early on, then later in the season he just didn't give a fook. Edwards is 100% correct on him being from Michigan leading to criticism.

The guy has more talent then just about every WR in the league, except the elite 3. He will not be traded. He will have another performance like 2007, which by the way, is the most successful season for a WR in Cleveland Browns History.

Fine then he leaves cleveland and we don't get SQUAT! Stupid! Find a guy that wants to be here.

Shep, et al,

Just posted this in another thread, but before we casually impode our entire receiving corps, we might want to look at the four starting WR's from this past SB as a proof statement of their importance:

Fitzgerald

Boldin

Ward

Holmes (lowest rep on this list, but played inspired ball that Sunday)

I shudder to think of starting this next season with a brand new corps of starting WR's/TE's. We're not New England; it won't work.

Thank you for your response, Jim, and that scares me a little, too. But if we offered him a lucrative extension, I'm sure he'd take it faster than you can say 'Josh Freeman.' ;)

Don't be hating...I'm right that he is the best QB in this draft....we'll wait and see 3 years from now...anyway...BE will not accept an offer from us...he will be gone...probably to a very large market where he can get endorsements and start his acting career... :lol:

I personally think you don't ever draft a receiver in the top 10 due to the fact there are so many good quality receivers around. I think the position is overrated when it comes to how important it is to have top tier talent. Give me a killer running game and I'll take a couple quality receivers any day over the divas in the league.

Don't be hating...I'm right that he is the best QB in this draft....we'll wait and see 3 years from now...anyway...BE will not accept an offer from us...he will be gone...probably to a very large market where he can get endorsements and start his acting career... :lol:

also don't be too surprised if NE takes freeman at 23 ;)

Bill Belichick and others have proved that you don't need a star or stud WR to win championships. It's a big plus to have a dominant WR. But it's not what wins championship games.

I want a good offensive line and a stud defense....(Steeler's defense anyone?)

Really? What great WR's did Tom Brady throw to for all of the Patriot championship teams?

David Patten? Torrence Small? Troy Brown? Deion Branch? Kevin Kasper? David Givens?

Shep is exactly right!!!

Guest Aloysius
Really? What great WR's did Tom Brady throw to for all of the Patriot championship teams?

David Patten? Torrence Small? Troy Brown? Deion Branch? Kevin Kasper? David Givens?

And notice how Brady's quarterback rating went up 30 points when he got to throw to Moss and Welker.

Branch and Givens are/were pretty good receivers, btw. The Pats were able to get a 1st Round pick in exchange for Branch, and Givens ended up signing a big FA contract. Were it not for a terrible knee injury, Givens might have developed into a great #2 receiver.

Guest Aloysius
On the other hand, Calvin Johnson is the most talented WR in the history of hands... and he went 0-16. That was his effect on the bottom line given a shaky QB situation.

Dude had 78 catches, 1,331 yards, and 12 TD's last year.

Instead of saying, "He's nothing without a good QB," you should be saying, "With a good quarterback, he could be one of the best ever."

And notice how Brady's quarterback rating went up 30 points when he got to throw to Moss and Welker.

Branch and Givens are/were pretty good receivers, btw. The Pats were able to get a 1st Round pick in exchange for Branch, and Givens ended up signing a big FA contract. Were it not for a terrible knee injury, Givens might have developed into a great #2 receiver.

Yep....And how did that trade go for the Seahawks? Wait....Branch was never the same. It was Tom Brady that made him a good WR.

David Givens was pretty good? This 7th round pick caught 2, 3, 6 and 1 TD in his four seasons with the Pats. Tw0 seasons of over 50 catches. Let's have a comparison...Braylon Edwards caught 55 pases and 3 TD's this year. That was an Average year for Givens....For two years anyways. He didn't do anything but for those two years. I'd barely call him average.

Let's take a closer look at David Patten to prove this point even further...In his 12 season career he has had 4 moderately successful seasons. Guess who 3 of those 4 successful seasons were with? The Pats.

But your post misses the entire point. Whether or not Brady and the Pats had a year for the record books in 2007, it has no bearing on my point. The point is Tom brady was going to go down as one of the top 10 QB's in the history of the NFL before Randy Moss....And Tom brady won numerous Championships and MVP's with, yes, very average WR's.

We are talking great Qb's and Championships here......And my point is still the same and just as valid.

Archived