THE BROWNS BOARD

Chiefs Get Cassel

next2nothing

Chiefs acquire Cassel, no word on what they gave up for him.

Huh. Makes me think that all the news about Brady being behind was BS designed to increase the value of Cassel; if there was a significant risk that Brady wouldn't be ready for the new season, there is simple no way the Pats could let Cassel go without acquiring another insurance policy. Gotta love how the Pats do business.

They didn't sign him away from the Pats under the Franchise Tag, they made a trade. Compensation can be whatever they want it to be.

-Al

Did not know that but if that is indeed so

Why would NE take less than two no 1's.............???? If so, they figured he would not be claimed at that high price so they took what was percieved value and I bet at least one no 1 was involved and a high round pick next year. Again Belichick does another smart move either way

One would assume that NE desingated Cassel non exclusive

There are two types of franchise players, "exclusive" and "non-exclusive."

Clubs can designate an exclusive franchise player by offering a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position at the end of the restricted free agent signing period, or a 20 percent increase over his 2008 salary, or the average of the top five salaries at his position at the end of last season -- whichever of the three is greater. The offering club retains exclusive negotiating rights and other clubs cannot negotiate with exclusive franchise players.

A non-exclusive franchise player is offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at his position in the 2008 season, or a 20 percent salary increase, whichever is greater. The offering club does not hold exclusive negotiating rights, and the player can negotiate with other clubs. The original club may match any offer to retain the player, or receive two first-round draft choices as compensation if it elects not to match. The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players is from Feb. 27 through July 15. Clubs have until July 15 to sign franchise players to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date the player may only sign a one-year tender for the next season.

Huh. Makes me think that all the news about Brady being behind was BS designed to increase the value of Cassel; if there was a significant risk that Brady wouldn't be ready for the new season, there is simple no way the Pats could let Cassel go without acquiring another insurance policy. Gotta love how the Pats do business.

Scott Pioli wasn't fooled. He knew exactly what was going on with Brady and with Cassel. In fact, he's the one that franchised Cassel ... then traded for him.

Makes you wonder if this was all worked out in advance.

Zombo

Did not know that but if that is indeed so

Why would NE take less than two no 1's.............???? If so, they figured he would not be claimed at that high price so they took what was percieved value and I bet at least one no 1 was involved and a high round pick next year. Again Belichick does another smart move either way

One would assume that NE desingated Cassel non exclusive

They are freeing up cap room.... if I remember right it is something like 16.1 million for one year. Now would you want a guy riding the pine for that kinda ching.

And yeah he is a non exclusive FA

I'm kinda curious on this move myself first it changes the way the draft will play out...... second how good is Cassel?

I don't think he is worth the hype. He was running an offence that went undefeated the prior year and an offence that put up some remarkable numbers. I think if Tom Brady was still the Qb all last season they would have been in the Super bowl..... take a look at there schedule kinda soft for a team that went 16-0 the previous season but that’s how everything rotates from year to year.

And I just overheard that Cassel was only really effective from shotgun.

Well you cant run the offence in shotgun the entire year and be successful. And lets see how well he does when the O-Line is not picking up the blitzes and he starts getting smashed. I'm not to keen on the K.C. roster but who does he have to throw the ball to... and older TE. So you take Randy Moss, Wess Welker out of the equation and you have... A QB with no weapons to throw the ball to, and a suspect O-line and running game.

Scott Pioli wasn't fooled. He knew exactly what was going on with Brady and with Cassel. In fact, he's the one that franchised Cassel ... then traded for him.

Makes you wonder if this was all worked out in advance.

Zombo

Totally...collusion at its best. He worked it all out before he left NE. Benefits both teams greatly...I think NE also gets compensatory 3rd rounder for Vrabel. Bullshit!

They are freeing up cap room.... if I remember right it is something like 16.1 million for one year. Now would you want a guy riding the pine for that kinda ching.

And yeah he is a non exclusive FA

I'm kinda curious on this move myself first it changes the way the draft will play out...... second how good is Cassel?

I don't think he is worth the hype. He was running an offence that went undefeated the prior year and an offence that put up some remarkable numbers. I think if Tom Brady was still the Qb all last season they would have been in the Super bowl..... take a look at there schedule kinda soft for a team that went 16-0 the previous season but that’s how everything rotates from year to year.

And I just overheard that Cassel was only really effective from shotgun.

Well you cant run the offence in shotgun the entire year and be successful. And lets see how well he does when the O-Line is not picking up the blitzes and he starts getting smashed. I'm not to keen on the K.C. roster but who does he have to throw the ball to... and older TE. So you take Randy Moss, Wess Welker out of the equation and you have... A QB with no weapons to throw the ball to, and a suspect O-line and running game.

As Next to nothing said it's being reported that a 3rd team is involved and that the Cassel to KC is not definite. As far as the picks are concerned I heard it was a 2nd round and some additional picks next year possibly as well...I also think Mike Vrabel was involved. Either way he wasn't franchised as was pointed out so the two first round picks do not apply.

Totally...collusion at its best. He worked it all out before he left NE. Benefits both teams greatly...I think NE also gets compensatory 3rd rounder for Vrabel. Bullshit!

I believe they also get a conditional pick next year. Possibally another #2.

the reports I'm seeing is that Cassel AND Vrabel went to the Chiefs for a 2nd rounder...

One 2nd rounder both these guys.

I heard 2nd rounder for Cassell...that and Losing Vrabel gets NE a compensatory 3rd rounder this year( could be wrong )

. Hopefully, KC drafts a OT to keep their new QB protected?

I'd be shocked if they did. Their defense was absolutely horrendous. I think it would be almost criminal not to go defense in much of their draft.

If they did go OT it would be for a LT which means the only recourse there would be to move Albert to Guard. But Albert did a very good job for the chiefs at LT. I'd be surprised if they did this as the chiefs have too many other pressing holes to fill

As Next to nothing said it's being reported that a 3rd team is involved and that the Cassel to KC is not definite. As far as the picks are concerned I heard it was a 2nd round and some additional picks next year possibly as well...I also think Mike Vrabel was involved. Either way he wasn't franchised as was pointed out so the two first round picks do not apply.

I should of wrote that he "was or still is" a URFA then, but we allready knew he was. There was a trade so that all goes out the window.

If the deal goes through geting rid of Cassel is none the less opening up "more" cap space.

Honestly what guarantees are there that Cassell does well outside of NE? He hadn't started a game since High School up until last season when the Pats put him in the starting line up. He had a formidable offensive line, Randy Moss and Wes Welker and a solid stable of RB especially with Faulk as the 3rd down guy. There are no guarantees he succeeds else where, especially Kansas City. I guess we'll find out. Vrabel was a throw away.

Honestly what guarantee are there that Cassell does well outside of NE?

There is no guarantee. I would have never made the trade, though it isn't like the Chiefs mortgaged the future to get him...

Archived