THE BROWNS BOARD

If Shaun Rogers leaves...

Guest mz.

...how could Raji NOT be the pick?

Perhaps this was Mangini's plan all along?? Keep in mind I love Rogers, but bringing in Raji as a replacement and no doubt gaining multiple high picks in the process wouldn't be terrible......

Would have to eat a lot of cap if Rogers is traded.

perhaps, but if we do pick someone at 5 and don't trade that pick then we will have to pay him a lot of money. however rodger's contract would be bigger than the rookie's, he still wouldn't free up that much space.

The only way we would trade Rogers is if a team game us 2 high draft picks and they paid his guaranteed money that we owe him.

And they would have to pay Rogers a hugh contract considering hayesworth just got 41 million guarnteed. I cant see a team giving up that much for 1 player, and it wouldnt make sense to get rid of him for less

The biggest problem i see is if rogers is forced to stay he likely wont play well so if mangini cant settle the problem we are likely best to eat the cap and trade him with that in mind grabbing raji at #5 becomes a must imo because rubin couldnt stop the run or pressure the qb while rogers was taking his 4-5 play breather..

Of course i highly value great linemen especially superb NTs and Cs im not so sure mankok places a lot of value at this very vital and hard to fill 3-4 position..

If Raji's allegedly character issues are nothing to worry about... bringing in Raji and letting him play DE and spell Rodgers...

would be a great move for the defensive line rotation. We'll see. With no trade down... it could be Raji or Orakpo - Mangini likes

smash mouth football on the dline front seven.

Figuring that Curry is not there.

And with two picks now, in the fourth round, Sammie Lee Hill could also be nabbed for DE/NT. You could rotate the dline and keep

them fresh.

but if Rodgers DID want out... there are three teams going to the 3-4 this year...

The only way we would trade Rogers is if a team game us 2 high draft picks and they paid his guaranteed money that we owe him.

And they would have to pay Rogers a hugh contract considering hayesworth just got 41 million guarnteed. I cant see a team giving up that much for 1 player, and it wouldnt make sense to get rid of him for less

Browns would have to eat the portion of the guaranteed money that was spread over the contract. No way around that. It would only be offset by not paying his roster bonus or salary. Not sure when his 6 mill bonus is due.

Come on now. Where is he going?

And if he's going who can afford what we would get for him.

<_< he'll be just fine when the dust settles- i hope

After haynesworths 100mil deal rogers could get a considerably bigger payday now..but i like you hope this gets settled and he stays here but now theres a potential character issue/fit that mankok may have a problem with..even though reports however describe rogers problem as a legit issue..

When this first broke earlier this week, all the reports indicated that the Browns would take a $9.2m cap hit to trade/release Rogers. That's utterly outrageous. It's ridiculous to take that kind of a hit for one player.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

-Al

When this first broke earlier this week, all the reports indicated that the Browns would take a $9.2m cap hit to trade/release Rogers. That's utterly outrageous. It's ridiculous to take that kind of a hit for one player.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

-Al

I absolutely agree. Know both camps are backing off. I guarantee that if the Browns said "we want to compensate you with a better contract for the season you had" he would say it is all a misunderstanding and he loves the Browns and looks forward to playing for Mangini.

...how could Raji NOT be the pick?

Perhaps this was Mangini's plan all along?? Keep in mind I love Rogers, but bringing in Raji as a replacement and no doubt gaining multiple high picks in the process wouldn't be terrible......

Rogers has been here all of about 365 days, which is about 1 day per pound. You gotta be kidding me if making the GNP for several small countries has him fussing like Jerry Ball already. Seems to me if CHARACTER is something we look for in draftees - don't you think it's something we should explore in who we sign for double digit millions?

Understanding this, the hope is Shaun Rogers values the faith the Cleveland Browns have bestowed upon him. That's NOT an insult Mr Rogers. Let's face it, as good as Shaun is - he has horrible endurance because he could be in ALOT better shape. Truth is we need him for more than 50% of our defensive reps because we suck when he leaves the field. Therefore, I don't think there's anything wrong with a HC wanting Rogers to trim up and get into better shape in the offseason. If you're new to this franchise and you're reviewing film - wouldn't you want to know WHY Rogers misses so many snaps if he's not injured? Parcells used to piss off ALOT of his star players. He wonce gave LT 2 plane tickets - one for him to go to New Orleans and the other for him to give to Pat Swilling when the Giants were supposed to face Irv Panky one week. We don't RAC allowing Shaun Rogers to be Big Baby - we could prolly get more mileage out of Shaun if Manigini has him pissed enough to prefer to be THE man! We don't need a FRIEND for Shaun - we need him to be inshape enough to help us more than half the time.

He's a VERY good NT; but we didn't win MORE games with him playing part time out there. I'm just sayin...

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

As Cal said, the rumored character issues may not make Raji a Mangini type. If drugs were part of the reason Raji didn't play in '07, I can't see ManKok taking him at #5, even if Rogers is traded.

Guest Dacaddyman

I always heard that building a great defense starts upfront. I know Rogers is a great NT but if Raji is a stud NT for years to come then I am all for drafting him at 5 even if it means getting rid of Rogers. Can't build a house without a solid foundation right?

Understanding this, the hope is Shaun Rogers values the faith the Cleveland Browns have bestowed upon him.

- Tom F.

Yeah Flugs, that's not gonna happen. I mean, I hope he appreciates the "faith" too, but that in one hand and the Haynesworth contract in the other is going to cause most sane people to flip over sideways. And not that it trumps the dollars or the faith, but the guy was pissed that his lady friend was let go from the PR department during the recent purge.

He's the least of our worries.

Beanpot

PD is reporting that things have calmed down and Mangini and Rogers are scheduled to meet.

BTW the supposed snub was taht Rogers walked by Mangini, who had his back turned from him talking to Eric wedge. Mangini never saw him and didn't even know he was going to be there. That's from Terry Pluto.

So much for Mangini treating people like assholes

Guest Aloysius

Or, alternatively, one could read that as Mangini moving away from his previously asshole-ish stance. According to John Clayton, Mangini had been refusing to meet one on one with Rogers.

How serious is this really, blown out of proportion by Rodgers critics or what?

Just one of those "I heard" deals, but the word is it is blown out of proportion.

I just can't see how it could possibly be that big a deal. If it is, there are some real eggheads involved.

That is more like 7th grade, adolescent stuff.

How serious is this really, blown out of proportion by Rodgers critics or what?

Actually, Roger was/is VERY well liked in here by the majority. The ONLY weakness I saw is I'd like to see him for more than 3 plays in a row (unless of course it's a 3 and out). I think Mangini wants him to have a little more endurance as well. One thing I read was Mangini wanted Rogers to lose a little weight; and Shaun has had a history gaining weight in the offseasons.

The rumors didn't start in here - there were small blurbs in the press people are responding too. I'm not sure if those leaking the stories are more interested in making Rogers the bad guy or Mangini. It looks like they've been trying to paint Mangini as a real basterd since the moment the ink dried on his contract. RAC was everybody's friend and the same media types didn't like that either. Give Mangini a chance and if he wants less huffing and puffing from our only defensive superstar - he's on the right track.

- Tom F.

Archived