THE BROWNS BOARD

Vikings trade for QB

ballpeen

I had this is the FA thread, but thought as it had implications concerning our team, it might be best to post alone.

Texans trade Rosenfels to

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

The Minnesota Vikings officially completed a trade with the Houston Texans to acquire Sage Rosenfels by reaching a two-year contract extension with the quarterback on Friday.

According to a source, Rosenfels agreed to a two-year, $9 million extension with the Vikings, who gave up a fourth-round draft choice to acquire him. Rosenfels had one year remaining on his deal with the Texans that would have paid him $1.35 million.

He flew to Minnesota on Thursday and was scheduled to undergo a physical Friday morning.

Rosenfels is expected to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting role in Minnesota. The Vikings have been trying to acquire Rosenfels for more than a year.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

I had this is the FA thread, but thought as it had implications concerning our team, it might be best to post alone.

Texans trade Rosenfels to

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

The Minnesota Vikings officially completed a trade with the Houston Texans to acquire Sage Rosenfels by reaching a two-year contract extension with the quarterback on Friday.

According to a source, Rosenfels agreed to a two-year, $9 million extension with the Vikings, who gave up a fourth-round draft choice to acquire him. Rosenfels had one year remaining on his deal with the Texans that would have paid him $1.35 million.

He flew to Minnesota on Thursday and was scheduled to undergo a physical Friday morning.

Rosenfels is expected to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting role in Minnesota. The Vikings have been trying to acquire Rosenfels for more than a year.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Anderson's huge contract is going to end up being the killer when it comes to dealing him. Maybe someone will trade for him after the Browns eat the 5 Million, but I'm thinking more and more that Anderson stays a brown.

Anderson's huge contract is going to end up being the killer when it comes to dealing him. Maybe someone will trade for him after the Browns eat the 5 Million, but I'm thinking more and more that Anderson stays a brown.

Cassel has a $14.5M one year deal

A QB at #1 to #3 is going to cost over #30M in guarantees.

DA would be cheap in comparison.

Cassel has a $14.5M one year deal

A QB at #1 to #3 is going to cost over #30M in guarantees.

DA would be cheap in comparison.

Kurt Warner is now expected to sign for about 9 mil for two years. Collins will probably get less with the Titans

DA may be affordable only if the Browns pay the 5 mil. If not, it would cost a team 21 mil for two years of DA. 21 mil or 16 mil....That's not cheap by any standard. Thanks Phil Savage.

The Vikings gave up a 4th and is paying Rosenfels 9 mil for two years. Is Anderson worth that much more than Rosenfels?

He may be worth more, but 12 million more?

Im fairly convinced that DA stays a brownie and competes for the starting job against BQ and i cant say that if i were the new coach i wouldnt do the same thing DA has some great tools and the new coach is going to want to see if he can coach DA out of his bad habits..its a mentoring coach thing and i feel DA can be disciplined first off DA has to understand if he doesnt change his habits he wont be in the nfl much longer..its time for DA to either embrace the new regimes vision of him or get on the bench...

I feel confident with either BQ or DA starting its our lack of a good center and a shabby WR group i have no confidence in..

Kurt Warner is now expected to sign for about 9 mil for two years. Collins will probably get less with the Titans

DA may be affordable only if the Browns pay the 5 mil. If not, it would cost a team 21 mil for two years of DA. 21 mil or 16 mil....That's not cheap by any standard. Thanks Phil Savage.

The Vikings gave up a 4th and is paying Rosenfels 9 mil for two years. Is Anderson worth that much more than Rosenfels?

It has been my assumption that DA would not be traded until after the bonus is paid. I feel the Browns would rather pay the 5 million and get day 1 compensation rather than pushing him out now for whatever they can get. After the 5 million bonus, DA is only scheduled to make 1.2 million. 1.2 million for a starting QB is a deal. It is an extreme deal, and I could be wrong but I think this was the only roster bonus that is guaranteed. Meaning that whoever trades for him (assuming he sucks for them) could cut him next year and not have to pay another dime. To me that is a deal and a half, 1.2 million to let a former pro-bowl QB refind his wings.

DA costs:

2009 - $1.2M + $5M bonus

2010 - $7.45M + $2M bonus

Total - $15.65M if the new team pays the bonus (around $8M per season), or $10.9M if the Browns pay it ($5.5M/yr)

Either way is pretty cheap.

As for Kurt...here is one of the latest blurbs on those talks:

The two sides could not agree on a new contract in the 26 days between Super Bowl XLIII and the start of free agency. According to Warner's agent they're looking for a contract that matches his production on the field, which is in the neighborhood of the top five paid QB's ($14.65 million). The Cardinals are offering something closer to $10 million per season. Only time will tell how this stalemate plays out, but who actually has the leverage?

So he is costing WAY more than DA.

Archived