THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agent Signing Thread

JewDago

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aloysius
T.J. to Seattle.

This could lead to Deion Branch getting axed; he's set to make close to $5M this year.

IIRC, Mangini tried to get Branch when the wideout was still in New England. He's battled injuries the past few years, but he was productive down the stretch in '08 - he had 22 catches for 316 yards and 4 TD's over the last five games. Might be a decent replacement for Joe J as our veteran/slot receiver.

Nate Washington to the Titans.

6 years/ 27 Million

I've always told myself that I would rather have two $4 million receivers instead of one $8 million Braylon. Nate got a bit over $4m per year, but think about it...Two Nates or one Braylon...

-Al

I've always told myself that I would rather have two $4 million receivers instead of one $8 million Braylon. Nate got a bit over $4m per year, but think about it...Two Nates or one Braylon...

-Al

FYI Steelers fans hated Washington and claimed he was the weak link on their team. I'd rather have one superstar with drop problems than a guy from a superbowl team who the fans cant wait to get rid of.

Vonnie Holliday was released by the Dolphins.

He's 33 but is coming off a solid year (46 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 TFL's). He played RE in Miami's 3-4, which is Robaire Smith's spot.

Considering Robaire is coming an Achilles injury and the 3-4 DE class is weak this year, it may be wise to sign Holliday as a short-term option.

Mosley is coming in but he is a backup at best, you still need someone if Robaire Smith can't come back 100%. So, I agree, we need to look at depth at DE. I'd hate to rely on S. Smith to be in our DE rotation.

pint-sized safety who tackles better than anyone on our defense.

guy has heart

Ryan is taking all of the good/young players he can pry from baltimore. I think the jets are going to come out swinging...

Greg Lewis traded to Pats???? Seems very odd......Also shawn springs going to NE....there they go again signing aged vets and going to the playoffs year in and year out! Fred T...great pickup for them as well!

And Springs is going there to play safety.

Wow - 6 pages of free agent signings! The Browns front office must have been on fire. I'm just catching up now.

Good for you guys! I'm sure all of these new players will be an improvement over last year's team.

Seriously, with so many needs on the Browns I'm a bit shocked that there's been next to NO action by the Browns front office. There were lots of guys available who would have been big improvements to the team. I have to assume they WANTED certain players but struck out.

But that being said, its 1 week into free agency. Yes, with a team as bad as the Browns you'd expect them to be shopping early - but there's still plenty of good middle class players yet to be signed by anyone. That type of depth winds up being VERY important in the long run.

The lack of action tells me that the Browns are in for another tough season - but if they play their cards right with trades and signing quality middle class players who begin to learn the system, by 2010 there might be a good foundation to build upon.

Wow - 6 pages of free agent signings! The Browns front office must have been on fire. I'm just catching up now.

Good for you guys! I'm sure all of these new players will be an improvement over last year's team.

Seriously, with so many needs on the Browns I'm a bit shocked that there's been next to NO action by the Browns front office. There were lots of guys available who would have been big improvements to the team. I have to assume they WANTED certain players but struck out.

But that being said, its 1 week into free agency. Yes, with a team as bad as the Browns you'd expect them to be shopping early - but there's still plenty of good middle class players yet to be signed by anyone. That type of depth winds up being VERY important in the long run.

The lack of action tells me that the Browns are in for another tough season - but if they play their cards right with trades and signing quality middle class players who begin to learn the system, by 2010 there might be a good foundation to build upon.

You being here tells me your mom must be out to bingo tonight. Remember to sign off by 9:00.

What a troll.....................................

This might sound like nitpicking, but can someone rationally explain why we just spent $10 million with $3 guaranteed for a guy like Royal? Honestly, you can get Krause or Sleestak off the last two camp rosters for league minimum.

Is there something so special about him or what? The league is chock full of these types of TE's, so why the hell would we overpay for one?

It just seems like stupid spending to me. I know it's not a ton, but Royal is not going to do diddly to upgrade TE, he's there to basically take over Dinkins' role and provide insurance if Heiden can't get ready or Rucker turns out to suck. Personally, I want to see Rucker get a real shot this year and not at the expense of someone like Royal playing to earn his contract.

Like I said, there will be guys getting cut from camps that are probably every bit of the player Royal is. Just because it's not huge spending like Steinbach etc., it still doesn't mean that it's not pissing cap money away IMO.

Guest Aloysius
This might sound like nitpicking, but can someone rationally explain why we just spent $10 million with $3 guaranteed for a guy like Royal? Honestly, you can get Krause or Sleestak off the last two camp rosters for league minimum.

Is there something so special about him or what? The league is chock full of these types of TE's, so why the hell would we overpay for one?

It just seems like stupid spending to me. I know it's not a ton, but Royal is not going to do diddly to upgrade TE, he's there to basically take over Dinkins' role and provide insurance if Heiden can't get ready or Rucker turns out to suck. Personally, I want to see Rucker get a real shot this year and not at the expense of someone like Royal playing to earn his contract.

Like I said, there will be guys getting cut from camps that are probably every bit of the player Royal is. Just because it's not huge spending like Steinbach etc., it still doesn't mean that it's not pissing cap money away IMO.

As you mentioned, Heiden coming off a torn ACL; that pretty much explains this move. We needed a proven starting TE in case Heiden suffers a setback, and Dinkins doesn't have the kind of starting experience Royal has. Like you, I want to see a lot of Rucker, but he's not (and may never be) the kind of in-line blocker we need to bolster our run game. If he's an every down TE for us, it could weaken our offense.

Also, Royal's known to be a great character guy. He should be a solid veteran influence, perhaps helping guys like Rucker develop into solid pro's.

And I don't have a problem with the contract numbers. One thing the guys over at the OBR criticized Savage for was throwing tons of money at big FA's, then low-balling and losing out on solid mid-level guys. Fortunately, it looks like Kokinis isn't repeating Savage's mistakes.

Considering how bad we were last year, we may need to pay a little bit more to bring in some of these guys, but Royal's deal seems reasonable to me. Hopefully, he'll earn his play by contributing on the field and keeping things classy in the locker room.

All makes good sense Alo, as long as Rucker gets a real shot. Is it possible Rucker doesn't even fit into Mankok's plans?

Rucker was taken to supplement Winslow as a receiving/slot guy, but I'm not so sure that Mangini has any use for this type of TE.

You being here tells me your mom must be out to bingo tonight. Remember to sign off by 9:00.

What a troll.....................................

yeah, it must suck to have "trolls" come here to say that there's no reason to worry about the silence from your team's front office in the first week. The nerve of people like me.

Guest Aloysius
All makes good sense Alo, as long as Rucker gets a real shot. Is it possible Rucker doesn't even fit into Mankok's plans?

Rucker was taken to supplement Winslow as a receiving/slot guy, but I'm not so sure that Mangini has any use for this type of TE.

Could be. Josh McDaniels is said to be to shopping TE Tony Scheffler, who's a very similar type of player. Assuming Daboll's system doesn't differ too much from the New England offense, Rucker may be an equally poor fit.

This was actually something that was brought up when the Pioli-Ferentz rumors were circling. Ferentz's Shanahan-style WCO would have been a good fit for Winslow and Rucker, and his zone blocking scheme would have been great for Thomas, Steinbach, and Shaffer. Instead, we're heading in the New England direction, like Denver did, and some more offensive pieces may have to be discarded.

Hopefully, Rucker isn't one of them.

Could be. Josh McDaniels is said to be to shopping TE Tony Scheffler, who's a very similar type of player. Assuming Daboll's system doesn't differ too much from the New England offense, Rucker may be an equally poor fit.

This was actually something that was brought up when the Pioli-Ferentz rumors were circling. Ferentz's Shanahan-style WCO would have been a good fit for Winslow and Rucker, and his zone blocking scheme would have been great for Thomas, Steinbach, and Shaffer. Instead, we're heading in the New England direction, like Denver did, and some more offensive pieces may have to be discarded.

Hopefully, Rucker isn't one of them.

And this is why I wasn't gung ho over Ferentz-Pioli. For one, I don't like the idea of Ferentz coming back to the NFL after being out of the pro game. It just reeked of stupidity and the buddy system, not to mention he's really not that young of a coach.

Two, I would never want to morph into a soft, zone team in this division and climate. The Browns need an identity desperately, and one that evolves around physicality and hitting is the most desired for success IMO. This division is about who is the toughest man to man, not west coast blocking schemes of sliding into people's way. I have a feeling this would get slaughtered by Pitt and Bmore, not to mention the use of TE's as glorified third receivers who can't block. Why not just use an actual real receiver and the fact that Winslow was declining so fast is no need to hope for that style of coach.

Give me the tough approach and old school style any day. Besides, the oline zone blocking is not as unique anymore as at least 6 teams are now implementing it regularly.

Hey, it's not like Rucker will be the make or break guy to the season, but it just pisses me off that we drafted this guy last year and then never really took a look at him once he got healthy. Just typical dysfunctional organization type stuff and now we have someone else running the ship with their own idea. He'll probably go down as another wasted Savage pick round 4 and up.

Archived