THE BROWNS BOARD

McShay vs. Kiper

heckofajobbrownie

This is a good battle with the two schools of thought. Personally, I'm with McShay here.

What Kiper ignores completely is that the Lions have a pick at #20 and at #33, plus lots of juice to move up and down from those. This imaginary rule he has in his head that you have to take the QB at #1 if you need one and you think he's good seems silly to me. Stafford isn't the only QB in this draft. I'm not even sure he's the best QB in this draft. Why overpay when you could work a way to get Curry or Smith and then take Sanchez lower? You might not even have to move at all if you're lucky.

And on the value chart moving up from #20 to #16 to hop ahead of the Jets would cost you a third round pick.

Curry and Sanchez and lose a third? Isn't that better than Stafford and Cushing and keeping the third? I think so.

Guest Aloysius

I agree with McShay, my only concern being that Sanchez may not be a good fit for Scott Linehan's vertical passing offense. Haven't really watched a lot of Sanchez - when I watched USC, I usually fast-forwarded whenever their offense was on the field. But I wasn't really impressed with what I saw of Stafford.

Kiper likes to compare Stafford to Jay Cutler. When people ask about Stafford's inconsistency, Kiper says, "Yeah, he's inconsistent, but so is Jay Cutler." Not sure the comparison's all that accurate.

Guest Masters
I agree with McShay, my only concern being that Sanchez may not be a good fit for Scott Linehan's vertical passing offense. Haven't really watched a lot of Sanchez - when I watched USC, I usually fast-forwarded whenever their offense was on the field. But I wasn't really impressed with what I saw of Stafford.

Kiper likes to compare Stafford to Jay Cutler. When people ask about Stafford's inconsistency, Kiper says, "Yeah, he's inconsistent, but so is Jay Cutler." Not sure the comparison's all that accurate.

I don't thing that comparison with Cutler is very correct either. Especially if comparing the two coming out of college. Cutler was routinely getting leveled while making throws for Vandy, yet delivering strikes on target.

I agree with McShay as well. If you are not sold that the QB you are taking as the #1 pick, you don't do it. Drafting the wrong QB at #1 can handcuff your team for years, especially when it comes to the cap. QBs get more than any other player when taken #1 overall. You have to got be 110% sure if you are gonna take that QB #1 overall.

Guest Aloysius
I don't thing that comparison with Cutler is very correct either. Especially if comparing the two coming out of college. Cutler was routinely getting leveled while making throws for Vandy, yet delivering strikes on target.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I think the best thing Detroit can do is give us pick 33 for DA and go from there. It gives them a young veteran with starter experience and a chance to really bolster themselves in the draft. DA would be cost effective and they wouldn't have to give up a third. I think DA fits in well with the dome and a guy like Calvin Johnson who can go up and get it.

Detroit has a lot of work to do with the mess Millen has left, so drafting a kid like Stafford just reeks of failure IMO. It's way too much money going to an unproven entity and could really stunt the franchise for years. I'm a bigger fan of getting a team together and then finding your QB, which could be DA if he lasts for a few seasons while they get it together.

Archived