THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 100 Free Agents ... who should we go for ?

BrownIndian

1. Albert Haynesworth, DT: Far and away the best free agent; $100 million isn’t out of the question.

2. Kurt Warner, QB: Expect the deal to come in at two years, $22 million with Arizona.

3. Jason Brown, C/G: Likely to become the top paid interior offensive lineman in the game.

4. Ray Lewis, LB: Lots of talk about Dallas or the Jets, but look for him to return to Baltimore.

5. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR: Bengals are delusional enough to think he might return. Yeah, right.

6. Bart Scott, LB: No discounts for the Ravens this time probably means no return to Baltimore.

7. Bryant McFadden, CB: Best cornerback among a lot of mediocre ones on this list.

8. Jabari Greer, CB: He’s going to get a lot of money ($7 million a year) after two decent campaigns.

9. Phillip Buchanon, CB: Florida native likely to return to Tampa Bay. Bucs have the cash.

10. Derrick Ward, RB: Former seventh-round pick hits the big time in a shallow group of RBs.

11. Khalif Barnes, OT: Had issues in Jacksonville, but he has pretty serious talent.

12. DeAngelo Hall, CB: Out to prove that he’s still a Pro Bowl player after two bad years.

13. Kerry Collins, QB: Wants to get the same deal as Warner. Probably will be a little short.

14. Tra Thomas, OT: He’s old, but he can still play and left tackles aren’t easy to get in free agency.

15. Brian Dawkins, S: Like Thomas, he’s old, but he can still play and the Eagles love him.

16. Chris Kemoeatu, G: Like his brother Maake in 2006, he figures to hit the jackpot.

17. Chris Canty, DE: There’s tremendous speculation he’ll go to Miami. Terrific DL in a 3-4 scheme.

18. Jake Grove, C: Another guy who could easily end up in Miami.

*19. Stacy Andrews, G: Serious knee injury in season finale cost him millions.

*20. Mark Tauscher, OT: He’s old, but the Packers need to have their right tackle back.

21. Jonathan Vilma, LB: Solid season with the Saints. Needs to be in a 4-3 scheme.

22. Gibril Wilson, S: Was cut by Raiders, but that will be to his benefit.

23. Jeff Saturday, C: Colts want him back, but he may price himself out of the market.

24. Jon Stinchcomb, OT: Nice right tackle, but not a great player. Will be overpaid.

25. Byron Leftwich, QB: Good guy, nice arm, wants to start. But that release is still slow.

26. Matt Birk, C: Six-time Pro Bowler is getting up there, but he could bring leadership to a developing line.

27. Drayton Florence, CB: He never fit in Jacksonville, but his age and experience will make him a commodity again.

28. Darren Sharper, S: Veteran safety who can still hit, but his playmaking skills may be on the decline.

29. Nate Washington, WR: He turns 26 this offseason and has big-play ability. Should be ready to be a consistent No. 2 in a scheme with a big-armed quarterback.

30. Devery Henderson, WR: Young and speedy. Can be a solid No. 2 in a vertical scheme.

31. Fred Taylor, RB: Can be reliable for maybe two more years with a 12-15 carry load.

32. Laveranues Coles, WR: Moody, but the talent is there to be a top level No. 2 for a few more years.

33. Marvin Harrison, WR: Could still be a solid No. 2 if he’s healthy, but he’s falling off fast. One or two more years of solid production may be it.

34. Marcus Washington, LB: Aging playmaker who has missed 12 regular season games the last three years. Can still be a good starter.

35. Cedric Benson, RB: Finally showed some determined production in ’08, but he’s still too risky for a major contractual commitment.

*36. Marvel Smith, OT: If his back trouble subsides, he’s on the fringe of the league’s top 10 tackles. If it doesn’t, his career may be in jeopardy.

*37. Chris McAlister, CB: He has lost a step and hasn’t been healthy since 2006, but still has a lot of value in a thin year at cornerback. Big risk, moderate reward player.

38. Antonio Smith, DE: Has gotten better in each of his seasons in Arizona. Could be a 7- or 8-sack player opposite an elite defensive end.

*39. Jon Runyan, OT: Has gone an astonishing 12 years without missing a game, but had microfracture surgery this offseason. He’s just getting too old to be a good risk.

40. Cato June, LB: His role in Tampa limited some of his numbers, but he should be a quality starter in a 4-3 for another three years.

41. Jeff Garcia, QB: A solid one or two-year stopgap for a West Coast scheme.

42. Joey Galloway, WR: He can round out a receiving core as a No. 2 for a year or two.

43. Yeremiah Bell, S: A franchise tag candidate that had an eye-opening season in ’08. He’d be in the top 20 if he wasn’t 31.

44. Keith Brooking, LB: He’s more of a tackler than a playmaker at this stage, but he can still be a solid starter in a 4-3 for several years.

45. Trai Essex, OT: He can play multiple positions and provide good depth. He could still develop into a solid starter.

46. Sean Jones, S: A solid playmaker who will get a fat contract. He’s a little overrated, but could be very good with a strong surrounding cast.

*47. Angelo Crowell, LB: Missed all of 2008 with a serious knee injury. If he was healthy, he’d be one of the best linebackers in this class.

48. Mike Peterson, LB: Injuries and butting heads with coach Jack Del Rio robbed him of three good years. Either there is very little left, or he’s going to be a big bargain.

49. John St. Clair, OT: Another guy who isn’t a quality starter but who can play multiple positions and give depth.

50. Andre’ Goodman, CB: Had arguably his best season in the NFL last year. He turns 31 this year, but cornerbacks will be at a premium.

51. Chris Baker, TE: Balanced tight end who needs to do more on the offensive end. Perennially overrated.

52. Derrick Brooks, LB: A shade of the player he once was. Can still bring great leadership to a young defense.

53. Andra Davis, LB: A solid starter and not much more at this stage of his career.

54. Russ Hochstein, G: Career backup who can start in a pinch. He’ll get a surprising contract and start somewhere.

55. Lawyer Milloy, S: His best days are far behind him, but he’s serviceable and can help bring along young players in the secondary.

56. J.P. Losman, QB: He’s got great tools but makes poor decisions. He’s a Leftwich-type reclamation project at this point.

57. Rex Grossman, QB: A good arm and a terrible head. Another Leftwich-type backup who might be able to be salvaged down the line.

58. Eugene Wilson, S: His last eight games of ’08 showed a player who can still be a quality starter. He’s an underrated signing if he can stay healthy.

59. Bertrand Berry, DE: He has missed 23 games in the last four years, but he could be a good one- or two-year starter opposite an “elite” defensive end in a 4-3.

60. Gerald Sensabaugh, S: A talented player who showed flashes of brilliance last season. He’s been arrested twice in the past two years.

61. Geoff Hangartner, C/G: Should be a respectable starter at guard or center wherever he signs. His next contract will surprise some people.

62. Eric Barton, LB: A solid tackler whose best playmaking days are behind him. He might have two years left in him as a starter in a 3-4 system.

63. Rocky Bernard, DT: He never showed he could play as well as his great 2005 season, but he’s got three or four good starting years left.

64. Igor Olshansky, DT: A 3-4 end who looked like he was going to develop into a very respectable player until the coaching staff soured on him last season.

65. Michael Boley LB: Has skills but doesn’t always hold up against the run. Big things were expected before he fell out of favor with Atlanta’s new staff last season.

66. Kevin Carter DE/DT: He’s not a three-down player anymore, but he can still play. A good veteran rotation player for the right price.

67. Deuce McAllister, RB: Still has a year or two left as a split-carry option if he could stay healthy. That’s a big if.

68. Shaun Cody, DT: Has skills, but no sacks or forced fumbles in the last three years. Could be a bargain if someone can motivate him, or an utter bust if they can’t.

69. Jim Leonhard, S: Filled in nicely in injury situations and can be a solid starter who makes the occasional play.

70. Jim Kleinsasser, TE: A superior blocker who won’t factor into the passing game.

71. James Sanders, S: Could be a solid starter for a 3-4 team, particularly one that needs someone who understands the alignment.

72. Mike Nugent, K: Best kicker on the market in terms of combination of youth and skill. Might be more of a factor from 50-plus if he gets out of the Meadowlands.

73. L.J. Smith, TE: Injuries halted his growth into a top tight end. When healthy, he’s still young enough to contribute 40 receptions and 500 yards to a passing game.

74. Pete Kendall, G: The sun is setting on his career, but he’s a good option for a team needing a one- or two-year guard who can mentor some younger players.

75. Ronald Fields, DT: He’s never really found his niche as a defensive end or tackle in a 4-3. He could play nose in a 3-4 alignment.

76. Mike Wright, DT: A young 3-4 lineman who the Patriots liked enough last season to assign a second-round tender to him. Could be a quality starter for another team.

77. Corey Ivy, CB: Speed and size deficient. Could be a good signing for depth in the Cover 2.

78. Jabar Gaffney,WR: Could be a solid No. 2 across from a dominant wideout, but is more likely a good No. 3.

79. Zach Thomas, LB: His lack of size and speed has caught up to him. He’s little more than a solid tackler at this point in his career.

80. LaMont Jordan, RB: On the downside of his career, but can still contribute with 10 touches a game if he ever stays healthy.

81. Keiwan Ratliff, CB: Did a nice job after injuries forced him to play 13 games last season.

82. Ron Bartell, CB: Got a chance to play last season and did a solid job. Even got three interceptions.

83. Justin Miller, CB: Failed top pick with Jets has nice return ability if healthy.

84. Tyjuan Hagler, LB: Active, tough and good on special teams. Needs to be in Tampa 2 defense.

85. Kenny Peterson, DE: Even after six years of inconsistency, he flashes tempting ability.

86. Ronald Curry, WR: Injuries have hampered a promising career. Nice all-around athlete.

87. Dan Orlovsky, QB: Looking for the safety of a No. 2 job where he won’t run into safeties.

88. Ty Law, CB: Law doesn’t do training camp at this stage of his career. Wait till September.

89. Kevin Burnett, LB: Durable and active, but hasn’t lived up to being a second-round pick.

90. Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB: Expect him to return to the quiet safety of Cincinnati for a backup job.

91. Chris Crocker, S: He actually did a nice job in two stops last season, but safeties are easy to find.

92. Dominic Rhodes, RB: If he’s smart, he stays in Indianapolis no matter what the cost.

93. Maurice Morris, RB: Passable backup who doesn’t complain about his role.

94. Warrick Dunn, RB: A serviceable No. 2 who may have two years left in that role.

95. Amani Toomer, WR: Leading receiver in Giants history is a classy vet playing out the string.

96. Bobby Engram, WR: Like Toomer, he’s at the end but is terrific in third-down situations.

97. Rudi Johnson, RB: Might have some mileage left on his body if he can get healthy.

98. Bryant Johnson, WR: Couldn’t make it with WR-desperate 49ers. That’s not a good sign.

99. Jason Craft, CB: Typical CB who survives a decade in the league because he knows the game.

100. J.J. Arrington, RB: Nice third-down back and backup. Not overly versatile.

The guy that I absolutely want the most is Jason Brown, but that's probably not going to happen. So, guys I really hope we take a shot at:

Safety: if we can't get Jones back at a reasonable price I would go for either Jim Leonhard or James Sanders - I think Sanders is a FS, but he's a versatile guy

DL: Antonio Smith, Bertrand Berry, or Igor Olshansky

ILB: Eric Barton

QB: presuming we trade DA...somebody just not sure who

OG: Brandon Moore - released from Jets...starter there for all 16 games the past 4 seasons

WR: I think we need one....I really like Nate Washington, but he'll probably get more money than he's worth; so I'd look at Galloway, Bennett, or Coles if he comes relatively cheap

Only guy I'd be interested in is....

58. Eugene Wilson, S: His last eight games of ’08 showed a player who can still be a quality starter. He’s an underrated signing if he can stay healthy.

worked with and familiar with Mangini.... maybe look at igor...only if Robaire is still messed up.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmlX...o&type=lgns

I wish we could get Nate Washington, Derrick Ward, Igor (I just like the name Igor) Orlshanky ! Who would u like from this crop of free agents ?

I like Washington as well, and we will have to sign someone.

Dainty Worthless is due a big bonus next month which I hope we don't pay, and just let him go.

Derrick Ward, Bart Scott, Chris Canty and Jason Brown, but that isn't going to happen...................so,

SS - Gibril Wilson

ILB - Eric Barton

DE - Igor Olshansky

FS - Jim Leonhard or James Sanders (as backups)

CB - ??????????????? (if not Holly)

Ward would be great...

Coles would be a solid add.....how much would that take?

i think things would be better off or more interesting with some straight-up trades rather than sending decent players off to gamble on draft picks.....

I'm going to be upset if the Steelers can't resign Nate. However Harrison needs extended as well as a few others including McFadden.

The Stains would do well to sign Derrick Ward and Nate Washington. In my opinion Nate is underrated and one hell of a deep threat. He can also jump through the roof. (over a 40 inch vert)

Guest Masters
I'm going to be upset if the Steelers can't resign Nate. However Harrison needs extended as well as a few others including McFadden.

The Stains would do well to sign Derrick Ward and Nate Washington. In my opinion Nate is underrated and one hell of a deep threat. He can also jump through the roof. (over a 40 inch vert)

I think PIT is doing the right thing with Harrison. He is signed through the 2009 season and really just had a career year at 30 years old. PIT isn't exactly known for investing heavily in LBs getting a little older, yet continue to thrive at that position. Other than Harrison only having 1 year of huge production and 1 year of solid production for his career, this isn't much different than how PIT handled Joey Porter, and they aren't exactly the worse for wear having let him go.

Ward is going to want WAY to much money for a 28 yr old RB who has only had only 3 seasons with a rushing attempt. He could be Michael Turner but I just dont see it happening.

A couple guys that I like are

Joselio Hanson-CB- Very good nickel back that has a few years of experience but we wont have to break the bank.

Nate Washington-WR- Good potential little risk

Antonio Smith-DE- Started last season off pretty slow but was amazing in the playoffs. Would instantly be the best DE on our roster.

Abram Elam-SS- Has ties with mangini and is young and cheap. Had 69 tak 2 sacks 2 FF and 1 pick last season. Solid against the run but not all that great in coverage. I like signing him better then retaining Sean Jones.

Eric Barton-ILB- He is the best option for us because he will come in and know the system and will give us his last 2 good years so we can draft a potential replacement.

Scott, Phillips, Canty, Brown, etc would be nice but we need to avoid from buying a team and start gettig servicable players and drafting/grooming our long term guys.

birk isn't strong enough to handle casey hampton or haloti ngata. he'd get pushed into the backfield just like fraley did because they're essentially the same guy, one just has a harvard education while the other has a gun rack.

Same guy? 0 probowls vs. 6 pro-bowls? Same guy? come on.....

at this point in their careers, considering the guys they'd be up against, yeah. pretty much the same guy. neither has the strength to go up against the monster DTs in our division, so one having better technique than another or better recognition skills doesn't matter all that much.

birk might read blitzes better, but that doesn't help us much if he's getting pushed backwards all the time.

at this point in their careers, considering the guys they'd be up against, yeah. pretty much the same guy. neither has the strength to go up against the monster DTs in our division, so one having better technique than another or better recognition skills doesn't matter all that much.

birk might read blitzes better, but that doesn't help us much if he's getting pushed backwards all the time.

Disagree my firend...Not the same guy!

Mike Wright, DT: A young 3-4 lineman who the Patriots liked enough last season to assign a second-round tender to him. Could be a quality starter for another team

I'm surprised there isn't a little more interest in Wright. He would upgrade our defensive line, especially if you consider the uncertainty with Robaire Smith. He could also be way out of the browns price range

Guest Aloysius

Jason Hunter is a guy to watch. He's expected to move to OLB in Green Bay's 3-4, but they only offered the restricted free agent a qualifying offer, meaning there's no compensation if he signs with another team & the Packers choose not to match the offer.

He's a guy with great athleticism (4.54 40 at his pro day) and is a special teams demon. The question would be how much the Browns have to pay him for the Packers not to match.

Might be worth overpaying him a little bit and hoping he develops into a solid 3-4 OLB.

Guest Aloysius

Really surprised that the Ravens are going into FA without having signed any of their top three FA's (I'm excluding Suggs, who was franchised).

Perhaps stealing their pro personnel director is having some salutary effects.

• 2 months later...
Jason Hunter is a guy to watch. He's expected to move to OLB in Green Bay's 3-4, but they only offered the restricted free agent a qualifying offer, meaning there's no compensation if he signs with another team & the Packers choose not to match the offer.

He's a guy with great athleticism (4.54 40 at his pro day) and is a special teams demon. The question would be how much the Browns have to pay him for the Packers not to match.

Might be worth overpaying him a little bit and hoping he develops into a solid 3-4 OLB.

the packers released jason hunter according to rotoworld because he apparently wasn't fitting well as an OLB. since there might have been interest before, it's possible we'd take a look at him now. more bodies can't hurt, even if they're just in for camp.

Guest Aloysius
the packers released jason hunter according to rotoworld because he apparently wasn't fitting well as an OLB. since there might have been interest before, it's possible we'd take a look at him now. more bodies can't hurt, even if they're just in for camp.

I don't have any inside information, but I suspect Hunter lost out because the team wants to give more reps to guys Ted Thompson really likes. The Packers are insanely high on Clay Matthews (they considered taking him at #9). And before Clay, '08 4th round pick Jeremy Thompson was the only player Thompson had traded up for; the team is said to think he could be a key contributor this year.

And Hunter probably didn't get any backup from his special teams coach because he bulked up to play DE-DT in the Packers' defense last year, which affected his speed and agility on specials. But at 255 lbs., he could be a core special teams guy for us and a low risk developmental OLB option.

I'd be all for the Browns bringing him in.

More news on the Packers. The Milwaukee journal sentinel wrote that the Packers have already said that B.J. Raji will not be the starting NG for the Packers in 2009. Rather he will be the left DE and will rotate from there to the NG spot.

Obviously another quality human being that Mangini has signed as a undrafted FA. Sounds like a great guy with a good work ethic. I liked that he stayed in school and is graduating in May.

I'm with Aloy on this one....This could end up being a really good pick up.

davis.jpg

davis3.jpg

Archived