THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets WR Coles released

beefjerky

I'd love to see that happen. We don't have a viable #3 (or #2 for that matter depending on Stallworth's situation) and if Coles would come at a reasonable price I'd love it. His stats aren't top of the league but he's consistent and can catch.

I thought I heard that Coles and Mangini didn't get along.

Very similar situation to Rogers/Mangini right now. If I remember correctly, Coles initially didn't like Mangini, but Mangini eventually was able to smooth things over. Don't remember the actual cause for their rift though.

anyone think now that coles has been released, coles might potentially be signed by the browns?

I think it's a lot more possible with mangini at the helm

Yeah - Coles' respect for Mangini really went sky high after he signed Favre and cut Pennington. :rolleyes:

Then again, when you consider that Coles was able to call Mangini and the Jets "Liars" and still secure a $11 million guarantee on his contract, he may see an upside to playing for a coach who players can push around, demanding more money, contract extensions, and trades - and usually get exactly what they want.

Yeah - Coles' respect for Mangini really went sky high after he signed Favre and cut Pennington. :rolleyes:

Then again, when you consider that Coles was able to call Mangini and the Jets "Liars" and still secure a $11 million guarantee on his contract, he may see an upside to playing for a coach who players can push around, demanding more money, contract extensions, and trades - and usually get exactly what they want.

So which is it? Is he a dictatorial asshole who players hate and won't play for, or is he a pushover that players take advantage of?

Seriously dude...I'm sorry that Mangini xxxxed your wife, but you really should man up and take that up with him personally instead of going after him on message boards.

Coles is more than likely going to Miami to play with his good friend Pennington.

Personally, I really like Furrey or Bennett. Also, Mangini loves Brad Smith from the Jets so he might be a possibility. But, he's a RFA so we'd have to trade for him.

I'd think Coles would be a good addition but I would love to get Brad Smith.

Very similar situation to Rogers/Mangini right now. If I remember correctly, Coles initially didn't like Mangini, but Mangini eventually was able to smooth things over. Don't remember the actual cause for their rift though.

Player relations are not one of Mangini's strong suits. From his bad handling of the Pete Kendall situation to the situation having Coles, Baker, and Vilma publicly cricitize him and call him a liar, to the Brett Favre situation, naming his son Brett to secure Favre's services and pissing off half the lockerroom by releasing Pennigton and letting him go to a division rival, you're probably going to see many more situations in Cleveland as with Rogers.

I'm not sure if there's a reason he doesn't like Rogers (I don't buy that anyone could "miss" seeing a guy that big) - nor do I particularly think a coach should be subservient to his players - but in Mangini's case he's often done himself in by giving in to player demands - giving them what they want whether its a trade or a contract guarantee... and the players usually make note of that, seeing what tactics work in influencing their coach.

Maybe Rogers will just be the latest in a long line of players demanding that Mangini trade him.

I do expect that Mangini will attempt to assert himself once training camp starts.... likely making a surprise cut of a veteran who may or may not deserve to be made an example of - but I'd be surprised if SOMEONE weren't made an example of, even if it means a big dead money salary cap hit.... hopefully for Browns fans Mangnini decides to be a little more consistent in sending his messages this time around. But still, I'm not sure what "message" he's attempting to send with Rogers.

I'd love to get Coles...

but... Galloway, Porter, Currey(sp??-Ronald), Harrison, and others are all available. Not sure I want Porter (he's done I think) and Harrison (bad character). But Galloway would be a great veteran addition.

Wow, Galloway, really? He's only played complete seasons in 7 out of the 14 years he's been in the league, including last year where he only played about 9 games. No thank you. I'd rather keep Stallworth.

Guest Masters

A little more smoke on this one

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...eading_to.htmcl

I found this line interesting in the story:

Later, Coles was so distraught that the Jets dumped Pennington in preseason after trading for Brett Favre that he barely talked to Favre for a large part of the season. It was commonly believed that Mangini also was against the Favre trade, so he and Coles bonded over that issue.

Later, Coles was so distraught that the Jets dumped Pennington in preseason after trading for Brett Favre that he barely talked to Favre for a large part of the season. It was commonly believed that Mangini also was against the Favre trade, so he and Coles bonded over that issue.

So Mangini offered to name in honor of Brett Favre in order to drive him AWAY from the Jets.

In a way, that makes sense... it was a threat, not a promise.

I wonder who Mangini will threaten to name one of his children after to prevent THEM from coming to the team this offseason.

Guest Masters
So Mangini offered to name in honor of Brett Favre in order to drive him AWAY from the Jets.

In a way, that makes sense... it was a threat, not a promise.

I wonder who Mangini will threaten to name one of his children after to prevent THEM from coming to the team this offseason.

Keep hanging on to that naming his kid thing. All that means is he liked and respected Brett Favre as a player. Do you have any idea how many people have named their kid Brett after Favre, Tom/Brady after Tom Brady, or Peyton after Peyton Manning? Reading into that as any indication of him wanting Favre on his team as his QB is just silly. One has nothing to do with the other.

Mangini left BB and the Pats 4 years ago. Get over it.

So which is it? Is he a dictatorial asshole who players hate and won't play for, or is he a pushover that players take advantage of?

Seriously dude...I'm sorry that Mangini xxxxed your wife, but you really should man up and take that up with him personally instead of going after him on message boards.

LOL, that was good.

Wow exciting, this is a regular soap opera. Did you see what Coles was wearing, OMG, so hitious. And those boots, OMG.

Who cares people, let's play some FOOTBALL.

Keep hanging on to that naming his kid thing. All that means is he liked and respected Brett Favre as a player.

Hilarious! :lol:

I love watching you guys try to delude yourselves into believing your revisionist history. You guys really should try to know a little bit more about the guy coaching your team.

Let's see what a certain source in the Browns front office has to say about your theory that Mangini never wanted Favre nor used the naming in an effort to coax him into joining the team.

"Mangini committed to using the middle name, Brett, when he and the Jets were trying to get Favre to come to New York in the summer. So, when the Jets were recruiting the NFL's career leader in touchdown throws, Mangini made the middle name a negotiating chip.

"I explained that history and explained that we were pregnant with our third child," Mangini said. "I really believed that he could be an instrumental part in another good year and an important part of my football life and I would commit to Zack Brett Mangini at that point. That was part of our terms, and we stuck with it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3636994

Yup - sounds like a guy who really didn't want Favre.

You guys crack me up. Good luck trying to convince yourselves Mangini didn't want Favre. Heck - good luck convincing Mangini of that! Chances are he's already trying to coax Favre out of retirement to play for the Browns!

Of course he said that before the Jets meltdown. Are you trying to suggest that Mangini is so two faced as to take credit for bringing in a player when things are going well but running away and shirking responsibility when they go badly? You might have a point there.

Guest Masters

Wow Joe, you can't be that slow. You really believe Mangini seriously was using that as a negotiating tool? And who is to say Mangini wasn't being a team player for the organization?

You know, there are the same reports that Mangini didn't Favre at the time.

I just find it damn funny that a Pats fan has to hold a vendetta against a former coach who left 4 years ago. You'd think with a team as good as the Pats, Pats fans would have better things to talk about than a former coach. He left a team you have no stake in. He didn't bang your wife or daughter. Let it go.

After all, you are the same person who told us what a great HC RAC would be.

Player relations are not one of Mangini's strong suits. From his bad handling of the Pete Kendall situation to the situation having Coles, Baker, and Vilma publicly cricitize him and call him a liar, to the Brett Favre situation, naming his son Brett to secure Favre's services and pissing off half the lockerroom by releasing Pennigton and letting him go to a division rival, you're probably going to see many more situations in Cleveland as with Rogers.

I'm not sure if there's a reason he doesn't like Rogers (I don't buy that anyone could "miss" seeing a guy that big) - nor do I particularly think a coach should be subservient to his players - but in Mangini's case he's often done himself in by giving in to player demands - giving them what they want whether its a trade or a contract guarantee... and the players usually make note of that, seeing what tactics work in influencing their coach.

Maybe Rogers will just be the latest in a long line of players demanding that Mangini trade him.

I do expect that Mangini will attempt to assert himself once training camp starts.... likely making a surprise cut of a veteran who may or may not deserve to be made an example of - but I'd be surprised if SOMEONE weren't made an example of, even if it means a big dead money salary cap hit.... hopefully for Browns fans Mangnini decides to be a little more consistent in sending his messages this time around. But still, I'm not sure what "message" he's attempting to send with Rogers.

I half way typed up a long rebuttal to this post but decided not to post it because I know it’ll probably be an exercise in futility. You can spin the past events to assign blame to whoever you wish (in this case Mangini) but then you give up the right to accuse anyone of believing in “revisionist history”, especially when your post contains erroneous statements and in some cases, outright fabrication. But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of your personal vendetta against Mangini.

The question of whether Mangini really wanted Favre or not will probably never be known for sure. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if this story of Mangini using his unborn son’s name as a bargaining chip was born out of Mangini’s deadpan sense of humor. BTW, Favre and Mangini’s kid share the same birthday, did you know that? Now you can go around telling others that he had his wife induced just so that his kid will have the same birthday as Favre!

On topic: Regarding Coles, even though he lost some of his speed over the years, he can still play. He plays hard and is good with YAC. The only problem is that he is one hit away from a career ending concussion (he’s had several in the past). This is why the Jets were reluctant to give Coles a contract extension and decided to guarantee his last two years.

Wow Joe, you can't be that slow. You really believe Mangini seriously was using that as a negotiating tool?

Well your logic is difficult to argue with.

Mangini publically comes out strongly in favor of Favre.

He even promises to name his son after Favre and acknowleded so publicly at the time of his signing and later - noting that it had NOTHING to do with them being born on the same day.

He reaffirms this publicly and makes a special point to note how important Favre was to the team and his personal career, hence he would give his son the name "Brett".

Yup - you've made a strong case for the Modus Operandi of someone who can't stand Favre and who's word can't be trusted.

Touche' - well done. Good thing you guys aren't deluding yourselves! (Just be sure NOT to read any stories documenting all of that) Carry on!

He even promises to name his son after Favre and acknowleded so publicly at the time of his signing and later - noting that it had NOTHING to do with them being born on the same day.

He reaffirms this publicly and makes a special point to note how important Favre was to the team and his personal career, hence he would give his son the name "Brett".

Yup - you've made a strong case for the Modus Operandi of someone who can't stand Favre and who's word can't be trusted.

Touche' - well done. Good thing you guys aren't deluding yourselves! (Just be sure NOT to read any stories documenting all of that) Carry on!

You wouldn't think a head coach would want to give the new QB some confidence and let him know he believes in him would he?

holy shit...

"He even promises to name his son after Favre and acknowleded so publicly at the time of his signing and later "

This was never publicly state at Fave's signing. If you can find an article that states this or dated during the time of his signing, I stand corrected.

What I can't understand is the belief that Mangini not initially being on board with signing Favre and making a pitch to obtain him are mutually exclusive. They can both be right.

"He even promises to name his son after Favre and acknowleded so publicly at the time of his signing and later "

This was never publicly state at Fave's signing. If you can find an article that states this or dated during the time of his signing, I stand corrected.

What I can't understand is the belief that Mangini not initially being on board with signing Favre and making a pitch to obtain him are mutually exclusive. They can both be right.

Would a transcript of Maningi's confirmation of this suffice? Or would you still delude yourself that this never happened?

"In talking to Brett when we were first recruiting him, I explained that history, and I explained that we were pregnant with our third child, and I really believed that he'd be an instrumental part of another good year and another important part of my football life and that I would commit to "Zack Brett Mangini" at that point [smiles]. That was part of our terms and we stuck with it.

On if Brett Favre is honored…

You'd have to ask him. I think he thinks it's pretty cool. I think it’s more interesting, ironic, I don't know what word you use, the fact that he was born on Brett's birthday.

On if he would have been named after Favre even if they didn’t share the same birthday…

Yes. That was locked and loaded in the negotiations. But we couldn't have planned that if we wanted to. Pretty exciting. "

So you're calling Mangini a liar unless there's a transcript of him making this statement in the pre-season?

On if he would have been named after Favre even if they didn’t share the same birthday…

Yes. That was locked and loaded in the negotiations. But we couldn't have planned that if we wanted to. Pretty exciting. "

Sounds like part of a hard-hitting football interview. Was that Sally Jessy or Oprah interviewing him...or maybe some "comedian" like Skip Bayless.

I promise you they're not going to draft Crabtree with Ocho Cinco and Coles on board.

Especially when taking their O-line and D into consideration.

Archived