THE BROWNS BOARD

PFT on Quinn

titleist585

NEW BROWNS REGIME “LUKEWARM” ON QUINN

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2009, 9:22 p.m.

We’re hearing that the new power structure in Cleveland — the combination of coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis to which folks around the league refer as “ManKok” — isn’t sold on Brady Quinn as the starting quarterback.

One source with knowledge of the dynamics in Cleveland says that the new power structure there is “lukewarm” on Quinn.

As a result, don’t be surprised if the Browns opt to keep Derek Anderson, pay his $5 million roster bonus, and let Anderson and Quinn battle it out for the starting job.

Indeed, the two men never have competed openly for the position. In 2007, Quinn signed his rookie deal too late to make a meaningful run at being in position to replace Charlie Frye when he received the hook in Week One. In 2008, Anderson was the unquestioned starter throughout the offseason, training camp, and the preseason.

So maybe from the fires of competition a better starter will emerge. And maybe the guy who doesn’t get the job will be better off, too.

Here’s the key — neither Mangini nor Kokinis need to justify the decision to draft Quinn or to sign Anderson. The new coach and G.M. can focus on what’s best for the team, regardless of whether the answer is Quinn or Anderson, or neither.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 words:

Smoke screen

Considering that both guys come from the Bill Belichick school of media relations, anything you hear whispering in the wind over the next couple of days (or weeks if it goes on that long) with regard to the Derek Anderson situation is as likely as not to be deliberate misinformation. It may well be that they'd like to elicit the impression that the Browns aren't terribly interested in moving Anderson. Because, of course, if they want to move him, they'd like to up the ante.

Don't be surprised if you hear about a "productive meeting" between Anderson, his agent, Kokinis, Mangini, or some combination thereof... occurring sometime in the next few or last few days.

With the combine workouts closing the gap between Sanchez and Stafford (read: Sanchez holding, Stafford slipping... even though that's not actually what happened), the luster is off of this years quarterback class. Although, I'm not sure it ever had much. Both quarterbacks look to be selected somewhere in the first 15 picks, and the interest in them looks to be heating up just below that. Where Stafford was once looked at as a guy who might step in and start, both he and Sanchez look to be a bit more attractive to some teams with older veteran quarterbacks that can offer them some time to develop, and a couple of teams who previously would've thought they'd be on the outside looking in when it comes to one of those top 2 qbs. I would not be at all surprised to see the Lions, Rams, and Chiefs all pass on Round 1 qb's.

The Browns stand to benefit greatly by all of this. As a matter of fact, they could get a real draft day boon by ensuring that the Lions are out of the quarterback market... not only by netting a first day pick (if not two) for Anderson. The possibility of Stafford being there at #5 opens up a world of trade options. If the Browns are resolved to the fact that Aaron Curry is not going to be there at five (which is a pretty solid resolution), trading that 5 pick seems like the best move.

Those willing trade partners interested in the top quarterback tandem could be: New Orleans at 14, NY Jets at 17, Chicago at 18, Minnesota at 22, or even Detroit at 20 (yes that same Detroit... and don't be surprised if the slot swap is part of the Anderson deal if it happens)... I figure while I'm poking around the fire, I might as well pour on the gasoline.

Let me tell you, this is barely more than pure extrapolation on my part... so please don't ask me where I got it. It's just a piecing together of an article here, a blog there, a guy who knows some things here, drunk guy at a bar there, some reliable, some questionable, some downright insane... and one guy who drools a little. But bear with me over the coming days.

-jj

We’re hearing that the new power structure in Cleveland — the combination of coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis to which folks around the league refer as “ManKok” — isn’t sold on Brady Quinn as the starting quarterback.

One source with knowledge of the dynamics in Cleveland says that the new power structure there is “lukewarm” on Quinn.

As a result, don’t be surprised if the Browns opt to keep Derek Anderson, pay his $5 million roster bonus, and let Anderson and Quinn battle it out for the starting job.

Indeed, the two men never have competed openly for the position. In 2007, Quinn signed his rookie deal too late to make a meaningful run at being in position to replace Charlie Frye when he received the hook in Week One. In 2008, Anderson was the unquestioned starter throughout the offseason, training camp, and the preseason.

So maybe from the fires of competition a better starter will emerge. And maybe the guy who doesn’t get the job will be better off, too.

Here’s the key — neither Mangini nor Kokinis need to justify the decision to draft Quinn or to sign Anderson. The new coach and G.M. can focus on what’s best for the team, regardless of whether the answer is Quinn or Anderson, or neither.

Not to worry. Mangini has a proven track record when it comes to assessing QB talent.

They've been shopping Anderson... meaning the above sounds like more smoke. I can't imagine who the Browns would tell this to... or why?

I would agree. Just tagging a percentage, I would say there is only a 20% chance the story is solid and 80% leaning towards your take.

shep is it possible that his lack of production in preseason and 3 games that were not exactly steller MIGHT give some pause? BQ is definately a workhorse but he has yet to prove ANYTHING one way or the other. People keep talking about Belichick like PR releases... well Belichick like approaches benched Fan favorite Kosar.... That school of thought cares NOTHING for Fan opinions or favoritism. Pragmatism is more accurate.

I think it would be illogical for a new hc and gm to trade away at least a good backup before they even got to see first hand how these guys practice and play. They are not burdened with the draft pick nor the contract resigning with DA. In a qb starved league these two are going to dump for some possible talent in second round draft picks?

Pluto and company were the same people last year talking about Da being traded and not resigned so suddenly this year they are more accurate with a entire new regime in control?

I could see them trade DA after they had a chance to review him in actual pads for themselves to make their own assessment of him or BQ. People use the qb rating as a total grading system for pass or fail at qb.... well brady in his last games were not exactly steller. Should that be used also? I would say no because of injury,recievers, scheme etc. Fans and media want DA traded for percieved value, DA I could see might want traded but who knows at this point. WAY to early within the combine assessment stage to know for 100% what the new regime is thinking.

The Falcons are not a good example because they did not have anyone else.... Vick was in prison. San diego is not a good example either because of the prospect of major injury to Brees.... Rivers was already benched in favor of brees barring injury.

The browns are not in the same boat because money is not an issue at the overall qb budget position and both are young and under contract. Neither have major injuries and one has shown he can at least be on real good backup if not starter while the other still has a lot to prove.

Its the fans who want the team to use BQ, honestly the players are all mercenaries basically and will play with whomover is at the helm. They may prefer one over the other but at this point with a new HC and manager everything is in flux for everyone.

Pluto knows about as much as he did last year and honestly I bet less because of the complete regime change, the general cleveland media was not correct last year and I doubt at this point they know much of anything from the Mangini regime who is notoriously stingy with info anyways. For any to claim anything at this point in one direction or another while combine assesment is going on is a bit premature.

Nothing is coming out of our FO...

...and then you hear that DA is on the blocks.

Shortly after the DA trade rumors...2 stories come out of our FO....

DA is still in the mix and may be retained....and...

the Browns are not hot on BQ.

Wow...is this just IRONIC that the Browns are suddenly undecided just 2 days after the DA trade rumors hit?

I guess this is just one of those things that make you go HMMMMMM!

thought_balloon_hmmmm_hg_clr.gif

I'm not from the NW, and I'm still not sold on Quinn. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't trade DA. Now if somebody wants to give us a first round for him, I'd trade him, but I wouldn't take anything less.

Quinn isn't proven, I wouldn't rest this season on essentially a rookie QB. I know Baltimore and Atlanta had success with it, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Nothing is coming out of our FO...

...and then you hear that DA is on the blocks.

let's recap what you heard...

you heard is Adam Shefter saying that DA would be a good fit for the Jets.

you heard some reporter in Detroit saying DA would be a good fit for the Lions.

you heard some reporter in Tampa saying DA would be a good fit for the Bucs.

So who said DA is on the trading block? BQ Nation did.

But here's how you got there....and it's the same thing that burned you BQ Lovers last year too....

jump_to_conclusions.jpg

I think the problem most of us have here is thinking THIS SEASON is going to be anything but a rebuilding season.

To think we are playoff quality is lying to yourself.

So, with BQ under contract for 2 more years at a VERY REASONABLE cap hit (FA after 2011)...and DA only under for next year (FA after 2010)...and DA's cap in 2010 being $7.45M + $2M bonus...he will be UNMOVABLE after this year...unless he was the starter....and then we won't want to move him.

The ONLY way I can see DA staying here this year is if we trade BQ. Otherwise he will have ZERO trade value next year.

This article is the biggest joke I have read. Talk about someone talking out their ass because they don't have anything better to write about. First, the FO and coaching staff have said nothing about either QB. Second Dabol was QB coach for Weiss in New England and plans on running the same offense Quinn ran at ND. Saturday night Quinn said he already had part of the play book and him and Dabol have look at what they can incorporate to take advantage of his strengths.

To say the FO is cool on Quinn ruins this guys integrity.

In the NFL their is competition every year which doesn't mean a team is cool on a guy. The league is about competition and putting the best team on the field. If Anderson stays, their should be competition, but Pluto was right on today when he said "it is a smoke screen".

Pluto was right on today when he said "it is a smoke screen".

Is it a smoke screen the same way last spring was a smoke screen from Savage?

He was just blowing smoke about wanting to sign DA, right? He was really planning to trade him for a 2nd round pick right? His real master plan was to hand the team over to Quinn right?

what a shocker that the new coach and GM aren't that high on Quinn.

Never could have seen that coming after the last coach and GM planted him on the bench for two seasons. Right BQ Nation?

Okkk I get it...You like Mike Florio when it favors DA...But when the article is in favor of Quinn You call Florio a bum and strike it it down as nonsense...Lummy Dummy...Your schtick is old...worn out...and You have proven Yourself once again to be a fake...

Is it a smoke screen the same way last spring was a smoke screen from Savage?

He was just blowing smoke about wanting to sign DA, right? He was really planning to trade him for a 2nd round pick right? His real master plan was to hand the team over to Quinn right?

Look where the alternative landed him, dumb-ass.

Thing about comparing this to last year is this....

When has ANYBODY said we WON'T trade DA?

Or

When has ANYBODY said DA is the STARTER?

Besides which....the Browns DID let DA go to FA last year...and signed him only after a rumor had us getting ripped off came to light.

So, whatever, believe what you want to.

I for one am not certain we will trade DA....and hope we don't unless we get at least a high 2nd....but I fully believe the Browns are exploring EVERY option.

Heck...if we got a mega deal offer for BQ...I could see us doing that as well.

We aren't winning big this year...so using your assets to better the team only makes sense.

Total bullshit.

M&K don't talk to the press and every two bit hack is reaching for a story.

QB bashing is a favorite pastime by the press here and they're going to keep on doing it whether there is or is not a speck of truth.

Thank you for some common sense...................................

Pluto basically wrote today that Quinn is the starter, the Browns are playing poker and staying patient, and Anderson will be traded for more than most fans expect. It's all smoke.

Best Quotes from the Pluto article:

"...if you're General Manager George Kokinis and if you are even considering the trade of Anderson, the last thing you want is your coach declaring Quinn the starter right now."

and,

"...Odds are they prefer Quinn. New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was a wide receiver coach in New England when Charlie Weis called the plays. Weis had Quinn at Notre Dame and insists Quinn can be star in the NFL. It seems Daboll and his offense would lean toward Quinn, given the New England offense and the influence of Weis."

and then the reason DA may bring more than Browns fans think he's worth,

"...(Browns fans don't understand) the desperation of some teams lacking a quarterback. Minnesota just traded a fourth-rounder to Houston for career backup Sage Rosenfels. Before the 2007 draft, Atlanta received two potentially high second-round picks from Houston for another backup, Matt Schaub."

This all makes plain sense. Here's how Mangini shouldn't respond to this question:

Q: "Hey coach, you're going with Quinn, right? After all, DA was the worst ranked starter last year"

A: "Of course we're going with Quinn. DA had his chance, 20+ games even, and kept falling off. He's proven he doesn't have the stuff to lead a 4 and 12 team. Let's hope there's a sucker out there to give us some draft picks".

Now, I'm not yet sold on Mangini or Quinn. BUT, I am sold on giving them a fair shot, which is why I don't get the "Quinn hasn't proven anything" sentiment. The fans supporting Quinn are all for giving him the same shot DA had and strongly hope he succeeds for the Browns sake. It has nothing to do with Quinn deserving the job because he's proven. Sanchez is unproven in the NFL, but he'll be drafted high and eventually given his chance. Same should go for Quinn and now is the time.

I don't get the "Quinn hasn't proven anything" sentiment. The fans supporting Quinn are all for giving him the same shot DA had and strongly hope he succeeds for the Browns sake. It has nothing to do with Quinn deserving the job because he's proven. Sanchez is unproven in the NFL, but he'll be drafted high and eventually given his chance. Same should go for Quinn and now is the time.

Don't tell this to Sev "knows better." As far as he's concerned Quinn is nothing but an unproven 1st round pick, but somehow DA is "proven." The problem is....what DA has proven in over 2/3 of his starts is that he sucks....yet that "data" is conveniently ignored while propping up stats from a few games against winless teams that were played 18 months ago.

The one thing DA has proven is that he is not starter material in this league. As soon as Quinn proves the same, then I'll be just as ready to ship him off....but he's still "unproven."

Let him prove himself one way or the other, and in the meantime get what you can for the guy that has already proven himself "the other."

From the sounds of it the FO is pretty ambivilent on BOTH Quinn and Anderson - and there's certainly the chance that NEITHER is the answer....

So if that's the case why not send signals that EITHER would be available to be traded and see what types of conversations that brings from other teams, with the team trading whichever QB gets them the most value in return.

It's not a great situation to be in period - but if that's truly how they feel, that's not a bad way to play the bad cards you're dealt with. Unfortunately the draft doesn't look all that strong at QB - but a team can certainly get lucky with a later round QB choice too.

Archived