THE BROWNS BOARD

DB's

Solon16

I haven't had the opportunity yet to watch the combine, but from reading this board, it seems a lot of the times are way slower than expected. Is that correct?? and could the track theyare running on be a "slow" track. sort of like Ohio States track is considered "fast"

Way slower at every position but Wr. Jenkins running like he'll be a free safety. Might be a good spot for him....we will have to see what his time is at the shoe.

Chung ran well 4.43...Delmas ran a 4.50

Chung is another of the guys I have been high on. He is a Palomalu type guy...high motor...heavy hitter....built about the same...and proved to be decent in coverage at the Shrine game.

speed has never been jenkins' primary asset. it's his instincts, awareness and physicality that make him a good player. i wouldn't get wrapped up in jenkins' forty time unless you're looking for a lightning fast safety.

also, this is the first combine in the colts' new stadium, and it looks like it's got a really, really slow track. draftologists are going to have to adjust what they consider great times, especially in the 40 and the 60 yard shuttle.

Way slower at every position but Wr. Jenkins running like he'll be a free safety. Might be a good spot for him....we will have to see what his time is at the shoe.

Look at all the times. It is a slow tract. Jemkins ran a 4.42 in spring practice. Most of the OSU guys that were working out were doing speed drills and all felt very confident going into the combine.

I would expect tht his stock will rebound after his pro day at OSU in March. I don't think he hurt his draft status and most still consider him as a corner. You got to look at the whole body of work. His game speed and football instincts. The guy can flat out cover and most won't let the time bother them.

speed has never been jenkins' primary asset. it's his instincts, awareness and physicality that make him a good player. i wouldn't get wrapped up in jenkins' forty time unless you're looking for a lightning fast safety.

also, this is the first combine in the colts' new stadium, and it looks like it's got a really, really slow track. draftologists are going to have to adjust what they consider great times, especially in the 40 and the 60 yard shuttle.

I agree with the surface point....But I don't need a lightning fast Safety but at corner??? all together different...4.55 aint getting it done at corner.

Chung is another of the guys I have been high on. He is a Palomalu type guy...high motor...heavy hitter....built about the same...and proved to be decent in coverage at the Shrine game.

I'm with you on this one. I have been blowing his horn since before the Shrine game. I really like this kid and would love to jump on him with our #37 pick. I believe he is a Palomalu clone.

From SI:

Top-rated cornerback Malcolm Jenkins ran disappointing times in the 40-yard dashes Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine and is in danger of falling out of the draft's top 10 in April.

Jenkins, an Ohio State product, ran anywhere from a 4.55 to 4.59 on most watches in his first attempt at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis. He improved on his second 40, running a 4.52 or 4.53.

Coming into the combine, scouts were concerned about Jenkins' speed and felt he needed to run in the mid-4.4s to cement his status as the top cornerback. Some teams will now start to look at Jenkins as more of a safety since they feel he lacks top-end cornerback speed.

Jenkins will have another chance in the 40 on his pro day in Columbus, Ohio, on March 13. The track in Columbus is notoriously fast and scouts may add one-tenth of a second to his time to balance it out.

Illinois' Vontae Davis, considered the No. 2 cornerback coming into the combine, ran in the mid-4.3s on Tuesday.

From SI:

Top-rated cornerback Malcolm Jenkins ran disappointing times in the 40-yard dashes Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine and is in danger of falling out of the draft's top 10 in April.

Jenkins, an Ohio State product, ran anywhere from a 4.55 to 4.59 on most watches in his first attempt at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis. He improved on his second 40, running a 4.52 or 4.53.

Coming into the combine, scouts were concerned about Jenkins' speed and felt he needed to run in the mid-4.4s to cement his status as the top cornerback. Some teams will now start to look at Jenkins as more of a safety since they feel he lacks top-end cornerback speed.

Jenkins will have another chance in the 40 on his pro day in Columbus, Ohio, on March 13. The track in Columbus is notoriously fast and scouts may add one-tenth of a second to his time to balance it out.

Illinois' Vontae Davis, considered the No. 2 cornerback coming into the combine, ran in the mid-4.3s on Tuesday.

Only guy to run sub 4.4 was Hughes from Oregon state 4.36...atleast the unofficial times on nfl network.

Damn. I'd sent out an email to some friends this morning saying that I thought this was the day that Davis and DJ Moore overtook Jenkins as the top CB.

I even think Alphonso Smith has a chance of going ahead of Jenkins. I've never been a huge Jenkins fan, and he got smoked by Quan Crosby routinely in the bowl game. I thought the draftniks had him too high.

Look at it this way, fellas - if you didn't want the Browns to pick Jenkins at #5 there's less of a chance of that happening now.

Damn. I'd sent out an email to some friends this morning saying that I thought this was the day that Davis and DJ Moore overtook Jenkins as the top CB.

I even think Alphonso Smith has a chance of going ahead of Jenkins. I've never been a huge Jenkins fan, and he got smoked by Quan Crosby routinely in the bowl game. I thought the draftniks had him too high.

Look at it this way, fellas - if you didn't want the Browns to pick Jenkins at #5 there's less of a chance of that happening now.

Jenkins will still be the first DB taken in the draft. He can flat out play football and has great hips. He isn't dropping. The position isn't just speed. When he has is pro day he will impress with his technique.

Jenkins will still be the first DB taken in the draft. He can flat out play football and has great hips. He isn't dropping. The position isn't just speed. When he has is pro day he will impress with his technique.

He sucked ass in the field drills as well...don't think he'll be the first db taken now at all....Deon commented how poorly he did drills and how bad he ran....I thought he wasn't even the top 5 db's out there today...hopefully he has a great pro-day but today was below average.

WOW ... donald washington from da bucks...45" Vertical leap...HOLY....also 11'3" Broad jump...UNHEARD OF!!!!

Thats insane explosion.... What round is he projected?

don't know... he ran a bad 40 and was still a 4.5. got a second one comin....he will go in 3rd now...i believe and maybe higher.

Do we have a 3rd. Whats his short shuttle and cone times? Thats a better measure of quickness than 40 time. Even the 20 yard dash is a better indicator.

Do we have a 3rd. Whats his short shuttle and cone times? Thats a better measure of quickness than 40 time. Even the 20 yard dash is a better indicator.

going to drills now....washington's second forty about the same. sean smith looks like a freak at 6'3 214 and 4.47 40...can't wait to see his drills.

what i forgot about jenkins was that, in addition to not having top-end speed, he also isn't particularly strong, seeing as he only put up 15 reps in the bench press. seems like jenkins is a more polished player, but vontae davis has far more physical potential.

edit: jenkins' 3 cone time was good, though, at 6.59.

Guest Aloysius

If Mangini likes taller CB's with good short shuttle times, Kevin Barnes would seem to be a fit - love that 3.96 shuttle time.

Could be a guy we end up taking late in Round 3/early in Round 4.

Guest Aloysius

Also, Stephen Hodge reportedly ran a 4.49 at 234 lbs. This guy had one of the greatest bowl performances I've ever seen (11 tackles, 9 solo, 3 TFL, 1 sack, and an interception).

He's got some character baggage that needs to be checked out, and he was more of a S/LB hybrid than a true safety at TCU. But I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Browns uniform next year; at the very least, he'll be a dominant special teams player.

"Arrested in April 2007 for unlawful carrying of a weapon and reckless discharge of a firearm…case eventually dismissed. Police report said Henson had a handgun, then handed it to teammate Stephen Hodge who fired several rounds into the air."

Not great. Could be worse, I suppose. Would need a thorough background check, of course.

Archived