THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns willing to keep QB Anderson

BrownIndian

By the Associated Press

Saturday, February 21, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS — General manager George Kokinis said Friday that the Cleveland Browns are in no hurry to get rid of Derek Anderson and were willing to let Anderson battle Brady Quinn for the starting quarterback job.

Kokinis was in Indianapolis for the annual NFL scouting combine.

There has been speculation that the Browns wanted to get rid of Anderson because of his $5 million roster bonus, due next month.

Neither Anderson nor Quinn finished last season because of injuries.

In a separate meeting with reporters from Northeastern Ohio, new Browns coach Eric Mangini expressed interest in Giants running back Derrick Ward. Ward will become a free agent next week.

The 5-foot-11, 228-pound Ward rushed for 1,025 yards for the Giants last season. He will be 29 in August.

This doesn't surprise me at all. DA will fight for the starting job. He could very well be the starter this year. If he beats out Quinn, he will be. May the best man win.

I'm sure mangini will rethink that when he see's DA bury a 87mph fastball in the back of harrisons head on a screen.

This is BASIC negotiating strategy guys...come on!

If you act like your going to "cut" him OR "get rid" of him out right, the compensation you get when negotiating is reduced significantly.

"Oh yeah, we're going to keep him...he's the best thing since sliced bread." [spit!]

Now ask me after we trade him :)

This reminds me of a coach getting the infamous "Vote of Confidence" then he's flushed down the toilet very soon thereafter. :lol:

Good God we cannot have that POS on our team anyomore....DA simply put sucks

If all we have for recievers are butterfingers,stallworth and steptoe,and an old and now surgically impaired jj and failee at center it doesnt matter if manning or warner or Big Gay Ben or DA or BQ are commanding this offense..we are heading toward a low scoring offense this season we have to pound it on the ground successfully to even have a chance...Ward will not bring what cleveland needs for a running back we need a bulldozer to accomadate harrison...

This is BASIC negotiating strategy guys...come on!

If you act like your going to "cut" him OR "get rid" of him out right, the compensation you get when negotiating is reduced significantly.

"Oh yeah, we're going to keep him...he's the best thing since sliced bread." [spit!]

Now ask me after we trade him :)

This reminds me of a coach getting the infamous "Vote of Confidence" then he's flushed down the toilet very soon thereafter. :lol:

This is exactly right.

It's nothing more than another way of saying to teams that may be interested, "We'll keep him before we give him to you for nothing...You want him? Your offer has to be very good"

This doesn't surprise me at all. DA will fight for the starting job. He could very well be the starter this year. If he beats out Quinn, he will be. May the best man win.

Their will be no QB competition. The job is Quinn's to lose and it doesn't matter if Anderson is there or not.

Good God we cannot have that POS on our team anyomore....DA simply put sucks

I really don't understand the hate that this guy gets. Quinn did NOT play any better than he did this year. And the only long ball I saw Quinn toss all year was a lame duck during the Denver? game. The only thing that Quinn did this year that DA couldn't do was run a bootleg. And seeing as you can only run that 2 or 3 times a game. I don't see why we shouldn't keep both, cuz it looks like we're not going to get a damn thing for DA.

I really don't understand the hate that this guy gets. Quinn did NOT play any better than he did this year. And the only long ball I saw Quinn toss all year was a lame duck during the Denver? game. The only thing that Quinn did this year that DA couldn't do was run a bootleg. And seeing as you can only run that 2 or 3 times a game. I don't see why we shouldn't keep both, cuz it looks like we're not going to get a damn thing for DA.

Quinn doesn't have the arm that DA does but there are two things Quinn can do that DA cannot. Run (Which you mentioned) and throw a short pass. DA's inabilty to throw a soft, short pass made me want to pull my hair out.

Big arms are so overrated. Too many of the greatest Qb's had weaker arms.

How much of a fit will Derrick WArd be in the Cleveland team ? Is Man-Kok doing the right thing by approaching him ? This kinda makes me feel that they dont trust JHarrison so much ... is he another bust then or just a backup guy then ?

Ward is 5'11" 228. He is a BIG back...and would be more of a replacement for Lewis than Harrison.

He just seems like a small back in NY due to Jacobs being immense.

Their will be no QB competition. The job is Quinn's to lose and it doesn't matter if Anderson is there or not.

Yeah sure, that's why you're so ape shit on trying to trade him to somebody....

We all know that if there is a competition then DA will be starting for the Browns.

The goal for BQ Nation is to make sure there is no competition.

So let's assume that DA is being pumped for a trade and we do trade him, what then? I don't see much talk about a BQ backup.

"The last two players to start at quarterback for the Browns are no longer with the team.

The Browns announced seven roster moves Monday. Ken Dorsey's contract was terminated, and Bruce Gradkowski was waived" CB.com 02.09.09

So where do we get the backup?

So let's assume that DA is being pumped for a trade and we do trade him, what then? I don't see much talk about a BQ backup.

"The last two players to start at quarterback for the Browns are no longer with the team.

The Browns announced seven roster moves Monday. Ken Dorsey's contract was terminated, and Bruce Gradkowski was waived" CB.com 02.09.09

So where do we get the backup?

I see the Browns keeping both Anderson and Quinn for this season, and drafting a QB in the mid rounds to groom (or, since we don't have a lot of picks, scouring the available young guys bouncing around that they might like.) they'll see who emerges, and next year Quinn or Anderson is gone and the #3 becomes #2. I'm sure a veteran journeyman will be brought into camp too.

Zombo

--I don't think Mangini is ready to hand anybody anything.

I see the Browns keeping both Anderson and Quinn for this season, and drafting a QB in the mid rounds to groom (or, since we don't have a lot of picks, scouring the available young guys bouncing around that they might like.) they'll see who emerges, and next year Quinn or Anderson is gone and the #3 becomes #2. I'm sure a veteran journeyman will be brought into camp too.

Zombo

--I don't think Mangini is ready to hand anybody anything.

The problem with keeping DA for another year is his contract.

If he DOESN'T win the starter role...he will be a backup with a $7.45M contract in 2010...AND a $2M signing bonus. In other words...he would be a guy who has sat on the bench for 2 years and being paid starter money...and nobody is going to give more than a 4th for that.

He lost significant value by hanging on to him last year...and unless the Browns are just kidding about going to a WCO type offense....he is just going to lose value again this coming year.

The problem with keeping DA for another year is his contract.

If he DOESN'T win the starter role...he will be a backup with a $7.45M contract in 2010...AND a $2M signing bonus. In other words...he would be a guy who has sat on the bench for 2 years and being paid starter money...and nobody is going to give more than a 4th for that.

He lost significant value by hanging on to him last year...and unless the Browns are just kidding about going to a WCO type offense....he is just going to lose value again this coming year.

He is going to cost us even if we trade him. Come March 13th we are at the point of no return. None of his 2010 salary is guaranteed. I still think he gets traded but not until closer to the draft. A team will get a QB that can come in a compete for a starting job and be cheap since we will have paid most of his 2009 salary.

Most reports have the Browns asking for a 2nd for him. He is not a fit as a WCO QB. He is a stretch the field QB. He doesn't fit the system we will be running and teams don't keep QBs who were starter that got bumped to backups. It's bad business and hard feelings. Same reason Jags got rid of Leftwich and Jets got rid of Pennington.

There are teams out there that think Anderson can play and be a starter in the right system.

Interesting article by Pluto today on this subject:

Terry Pluto blog: Talkin' to myself about the Cleveland Browns quarterbacks ...

by Terry Pluto / Plain Dealer Columnist

Tuesday February 24, 2009, 12:31 PM

Question: Did you hear what Eric Mangini said the other day about possibly keeping both Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn?

Answer: He said he may keep them both. He said that he and his coaching staff have not decided on a starter. He said you can never have enough good quarterbacks, and he said he could even have a quarterback competition in training camp.

Q: Why did he say all that?

A: Because it is possible it could happen, but don't bet on it. Nor would it be a good idea. But if you're General Manager George Kokinis and if you are even considering the trade of Anderson, the last thing you want is your coach declaring Quinn the starter right now.

Q: Why?

A: Because you want to make Anderson sound like Otto Graham. You want other teams to believe with just the right coaching and the proper play-calling, this guy can be a franchise quarterback. You want to talk about the Derek Anderson who threw 29 touchdown passes in 2007 and made the Pro Bowl, not the Anderson who was waived by Baltimore early in his career, or the Anderson who struggled last season.

Q: Are you blaming Anderson for the 4-12 record and ...

A: It's not about blaming. It's about the Browns figuring out which quarterback will be best for them in 2009, and then using the other to bring the most in trade. Odds are they prefer Quinn. New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was a wide receiver coach in New England when Charlie Weis called the plays. Weis had Quinn at Notre Dame and insists Quinn can be star in the NFL. It seems Daboll and his offense would lean toward Quinn, given the New England offense and the influence of Weis.

Q: So why not say that?

A: Because they want other teams to believe they really like Anderson, that they might indeed keep him. It's a way of telling the NFL that the Browns won't give him away.

Q: Anderson makes all that money, who will take him?

A: He will be a bargain for another team. Anderson is due a $5 million roster bonus on March 13, and his salary for 2009 is $1.5 million. The Browns should pay the bonus, then trade Anderson because he will cost the new team only the $1.5 million in salary and on the cap. That increases his trade value.

Q: Don't the Browns take a huge salary cap hit?

A: It happens either way. If they keep Anderson, he counts $8.8 million on the cap. If they trade him, it's $8.2 million on the cap. Going through another season with these two young quarterbacks seems to be another way of having no starting quarterback -- and the Browns need draft picks and talent.

Q: It's still hard to see why any team would give up much for Anderson?

A: That's because most fans just watch the Browns. They don't understand the desperation of some teams desperate for a quarterback. Minnesota just traded a fourth-rounder to Houston for career backup Sage Rosenfels. Before the 2007 draft, Atlanta received two potentially high second-round picks from Houston for another backup, Matt Schaub.

Q: What can the Browns get for Anderson?

A: At least a couple of second-rounders, maybe a low first or a chance to flop other picks. A veteran could be involved in a deal. Detroit and Tampa Bay would love to have Anderson. The Jets, Chiefs and 49ers also could be in the market. The Browns are taking their time, playing it smart to build interest in Anderson, so don't pay much attention to what they say publicly about their quarterbacks.

...and unless the Browns are just kidding about going to a WCO type offense....

We haven't heard any of this WCO bullshit out of Berea. Somehow this BQ-Nation-style rumor seems to be related to how Mangini once worked with Chuck Weis 6 years ago under a different head coach. Yeah quite a correlation there.

Really it is just your fantasy explanation for BQ to get the nod despite his noodle arm, nothing more.

L O Fcuking L.

Really? This is what it's come to? Outright lies??

BQ needs to get one of these to warm up his arm..........

Instant Noodle Perfection Timer won’t leave you with limp noodles

* By Andrew Dobrow

* May 16, 2007

noodle_1.jpg

Do you find yourself constantly striving to get the perfect time and temperature to cook your instant noodles? I mean, sure, sometimes you forget that your noodles are done and wind up eating a cold and nasty dinner of instant noodles, and they taste like shit reheated. The Instant Noodle Perfection Timer reminds you of when your noodles are done.

A LED screen and a vocal countdown is used to keep you from having a sodium-filled hot dinner, rather than a sodium-filled cold dinner. What have you got to lose other than your pride? Available for $25. — Andrew Dobrow

We haven't heard any of this WCO bullshit out of Berea. Somehow this BQ-Nation-style rumor seems to be related to how Mangini once worked with Chuck Weis 6 years ago under a different head coach. Yeah quite a correlation there.

Really it is just your fantasy explanation for BQ to get the nod despite his noodle arm, nothing more.

Just a little clarification for you...

Hey, Tony: Given the facts the Jets run the same vertical offense as the Browns and both the Jets and Ravens passed on Brady Quinn in the draft, why is it assumed Brady is the starter and not D.A.? -- Mike Gedeon, Hudson

Hey, Mike: A couple of clarifications: 1. The Jets ran the same vertical offense as the Browns under coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. He stayed in New York and Eric Mangini appointed Brian Daboll as Browns offensive coordinator. Daboll intends to run the New England offense, which Quinn was schooled under by Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. 2. The Ravens tried to trade up in the 2007 draft to select Quinn but the Browns beat them to the punch. I can turn around your logic and point out that the Ravens elected to release Derek Anderson while George Kokinis was their pro personnel director. Kokinis is now Browns GM.

and here:

It has been presumed that Quinn will be the Browns' starter in '09, especially since new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is expected to run the same New England Patriots-style attack that Quinn flourished in under Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis. That would leave Anderson, a 2007 Pro Bowl player, as trade bait, perhaps to acquire more draft picks. The Browns hold only four selections in the April 25-26 NFL Draft

or this:

Quinn claims to have built a great rapport with Daboll, and says the new coordinator intends to incorporate aspects of the Browns' offense with those of his former system in New England. This isn't too bad to hear either, seeing as the Patriots could have a leper as starting quarterback and still post a winning record (granted the levels of talent on both teams are on slightly different wavelengths).

so much for us making this stuff up

Archived