THE BROWNS BOARD

Brown's at Pavlik Fight

YtownBrownsBacker

I had an opportunity to meet a talk to a few Brown's players at the Kelly Pavlik fight in Youngstown Saturday night. Brady Quinn and AJ Hawk were there sitting with Troy smith. Also Tucker and Fraley were there.

Quinn said he is ready to compete, if he has to, for the starting job and also said he was 100% healthy. He said he has talked to Dabol a few times and ahs part of the play book. He also said he is very excited about the offensive scheme they will be running.

What I loved was Hawk saying that some day he hoped to be able to play with his brother-in-law. His wife said it would be nice to be able to go to a game and see her brother and her husband together playing for the same team. Hawk didn't want to comment abouthis status in GB but hinted that he wan't really happy with how he was being used. He said he forgets what it's like to rush the QB sometime.

Ryan Tucker says he is healthy and plans on starting at RG for the Brown's this year. He said that this is the best his body has felt in a few years and he is anxious to get the season going. He said he wants to play two more years.

Troy Smith said he would love to some day come back and play in his home town. He also said he expected the Ravens to bring in a veteran to compete with him for the backup job this year.

Quinn said he expects to see a big turnover in the roster this year.

Tucker seemed very friendly, walking around ringside and talking to people between fights. Quinn was very friendly also. He talked to a lot of people and seemed down to earth and he wasn't like "look I'm a star". He shook hands answered questions and signed some autographs.

It was nice to see these guys acting like regular people and not some privleged spoiled superstars.

to be honest IF Quinn was a bit arrogant i could understand. mid 20's, ND QB star, in shape, on a NFL team as a QB, financially stable...etc. This year hopefully we will get to see a real sample of what he can or can not do in the NFL.

That Pavlik fight was a filler fight.... not a Pavlik fan. A old man beat the crap out of him so he fights a smaller "ranked" fighter who is moving up in weight when Pavlik has to cut down to qualify.

Boxing is such a hoax.

IF Pavlik wanted to fight someone he should try on the Welshman Calzaghe who is basically the same height and weight.

to be honest IF Quinn was a bit arrogant i could understand. mid 20's, ND QB star, in shape, on a NFL team as a QB, financially stable...etc. This year hopefully we will get to see a real sample of what he can or can not do in the NFL.

That Pavlik fight was a filler fight.... not a Pavlik fan. A old man beat the crap out of him so he fights a smaller "ranked" fighter who is moving up in weight when Pavlik has to cut down to qualify.

Boxing is such a hoax.

IF Pavlik wanted to fight someone he should try on the Welshman Calzaghe who is basically the same height and weight.

Calzaghe retired.

Boxing is such a hoax.

You may want to do some research on Pavlik before posting nonsense again.

You are really starting to lose credibility around these parts my man.

This may be the worst post of the year to date, just an extremely bad and uneducated take.

what part was poorly researched... you mean when a boxer ala Hopkins who formerlly "reitred" like de la hoya and many others come out to fight again?

Or that Pavlik cuts weight to make this fight or that his mexican opponent was a lower weight fighter who is moving up? Wait Hopkins did not beat the crap out Pavlik.... or even the pre fight released commonly known that this was a filler fight to get him ready for a unifying shot... or against other champions.... Your right I need to do more research.

Or my comment that Boxing as a sport is pretty much a joke and completely crooked... sure boxing box office numbers are not on the decline and the sport is know for how "clean" it runs.

Boxing is such a hoax.

Please look in the mirrow, your stupidy is showing.....................................

Pavlik moved up 2 weight classes to fight Hopkins. He is a 160 lb middleweight and weighed in at 159 lbs for this fight. His walking around weight is 170 lbs. The catch weight for the Hopkins fight was 176 lbs (light Heavyweight) and Pavlik weighed in at 168 and was 172 at fighttime. Hopkins hydraded back up to 184 lbs at fight time. Not to make excuses, because Pavlik didn't, but he hurt his elbow 3 weeks prior to the Hopkins fight and had to have his bursa sack drained twice and then came down with broncitis so he missed 3 weeks of sparring and training at the end of camp but he wouldn't let them cancel the fight because 3000 fans from Youngstown paid good money to get to Atlantic City to support him. But being 34-1 with 30 KOs you don't need excuses. The reason he fought Hopkins is Calzaghe wouldn't fight him. Calzaghe said fighting Roy Jones was a safer fight with more money, then he retired. Rubio was the #1 ranked middleweight in the world and weighed in at 1 lbs more then Pavlik and weighed 172 lbs at fight time.

Maybe you should stick to football. it's obvious you know nothing about boxing.

Rogers was there too. I don't think he went down ringside with the rest of them though.

I don't think you could miss him if he was at ringside. Labron was supposedly there also but he stayed up in the lodges and never came down to ringside. What shocked me the most was Hawk talking about playing on the same team as Quinn and indicating he feels underused or misused in the Packers system.

I got the feeling that Quinn believes that this is his team and it is his job to lose even if they keep Anderson. He said that he doesn't have a clue about who the Browns are looking at in FA or who they like in the draft. He said he thinks the Cleveland mediais looking for any story because there isn't any news coming out of Berea.

right rubio who was the 154 regional champ and got knocked out by Kofi jantuah in 33 seconds in 2004.. split decion made him a number one contender...OK in ONE division of boxing.

Who was HEAVILY favored in Vegas for this fight? What were the odds..... This was a joke for a fight for Pavlik and a filler fight.

Pavlik is what 6-2 and middleweight is what 160 pounds... ok weigh ins are 24 hours before the actual fight.. its common for fighters of ANY dicipline to rehydrate and dehydrate to make fights. Pavlik was heavily favored for this fight for a reason.. he is stronger and a little bit bigger.

I am sure I know nothing about boxing because I think that it is a joke because fights are so controlled most of the time. As for the Hijinks of Calzaghe and all of boxing in general of who and when they fight just shows how much the sport is fixed and those "records" dont mean squat.

I am happy for a local kid to make it, that does not mean I necessarily think he is a great fighter. If because I dont hold the same opinion of Pavliks value of a fighter means I know nothing of boxing to you thats fine.

There is a reason why MMA is becoming so popular, it takes more talent and diciplines along with top champions have to fight the best guys next inline and cant sidestep them like they do in boxing.

Well i assure you he will be used this year (HAwk) ..as Kevin Greene is now the LB coach under Dom Capers...if Hawk is ready to rawk the NFL this year is his shot...Kevin Greene lives here in my town and frequents my non sports radio show from time to time...i will buzz him and get a feel for how things are in that neck of the woods shortly..

right rubio who was the 154 regional champ and got knocked out by Kofi jantuah in 33 seconds in 2004.. split decion made him a number one contender...OK in ONE division of boxing.

Pavlik is what 6-2 and middleweight is what 160 pounds... ok weigh ins are 24 hours before the actual fight.. its common for fighters of ANY dicipline to rehydrate and dehydrate to make fights. Pavlik was heavily favored for this fight for a reason.. he is stronger and a little bit bigger.

Fighters move up in weight through the years. But stop the whinning about Pavlik being bigger. Rubio was 1" shorter, weighed in 1 lb heavier and was 2 lbs heavier prior to the fight. He's been fighting as a middleweight for 3 years. Every fighter works himself into fighting shape and loses weight doing it. They all rehydrate. It's boxing, my friend.

So, if he fights John Duddy, now the #1 middleweight contender, in Cleveland at the "Q" in May or June will that be a set up fight also in your eyes because the guy with the other belt won't come to the US and fight.

Buy the way, how many points do you take away from a guy because he is stronger? When he fought Taylor and Miranda and was smaller and a underdog and knocked them out.................what was that all about?

Here's a clue, someone is always the favorite and someone is always the underdog. Another clue, there is no height requirement for weight classes only weight requirements. Another clue, sometimes shorter guys are even favorites, the taller guy isn't always the favorite.

ytown I am not whining about anything, Pavlik fought a filler fight whether you want to admit it or not. He was heavily favored for a reason..... probably something about the other loses Rubio had besides the 33 second knockout he recieved in 04.

Pavlik lost BADLY to a 44 year old man.... Pavlik is what 26? it could have been for all of the reasons you stated and was released to the press or he could be another record generated champion from the crooked world of boxing.

Boxing is a joke and already has lost most of its credibility in who fights whom because of all the back room controlled deals and filler fight to boost record counts etc.. The boxers are the losers unfortunately and that is why honestly it is losing so much market share to MMA now. Top fighter actually fight each other in order to stay on top.

Boxing will always have its loyal base fans but even that is shrinking. Boxing is just to corrupt, and you know what would make Pavlik or any other fighter? They have to fight other great fighters in order to legitimize what they are. You cant lose badly to a 44 year old and then fight a guy who you clearly outclass to show you are a champion.

Pavlik was overmatched by size and speed against Hopkins. He won't be moving up in weight again any time soon.

But to say Rubio was a filler fight is a little wrong to me. He was the number one contender, and Pavlik needed to defend his title. Calzaghe blatently ducked Pavlik by retiring and that's exactly when Jack Loew called him out. Calzaghe still shows no interest.

If you want to talk filler fight, you'd make a better case with Lockett. And even he was a WBO mandatory title defense. In short, it's not Pavlik's fault there's not a ton of people to box. Arthur Abraham may be next and he may be a big test.

Pavlik is certainly limited. He's seen as a God around the Ytown parts, it's crazy how he's like the savior here. But in the general boxing world, a lot of people see him as a plain straight ahead jab jab power puncher without much else working for him and he's benefiting from a particularly weak division. Not the way I see it necessarily, but that's the way a ton of people see it especially after the Hopkins fight.

Archived