THE BROWNS BOARD

Why The Browns should Not Draft Aaron Curry

Sony Reed

I am aware that there are many people who want the Browns to draft Aaron Curry and feel he would be what the Browns need at the linebacker position but I am in the minority here and feel the Browns would be better to go in another direction and listed are my reason why.

1. The dollars to pay Curry that he will get at the number 5 selection in my opinion is too much to pay a inside linebacker whose main duties would be to stop the run, I feel we should target as our #1 Free Agent Bart Scott who is experienced and proven and IMO we would be paying top money for a proven guy who can also rush off the edge and he plays with a attitude something this team needs on defense, if not Scott I would try to sign Channing Crowder who would cost less than we would have to pay Curry. Eric Barton would be next if we fail to get Scott or Crowder.

2. IMO, when you are drafting in the top 5 you need to get a QB, LT, Pass Rusher, RB( Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson type) or Shut down cornerback with a selection that high, the guy we draft at #5 should come in and start from day 1 and be a PLAYMAKER/GAME CHANGER type of player and IMO I don't see that in watching Curry. We have our LT in Joe Thomas and hopefully our QB in Brady Quinn now lets start adding the other pieces. This team has not had a dominating pass rusher since Jamir Miller.

3. This team needs a identity and a guy like Rey Maualuga would give this defense something its lacked since returning, we need a guy who creates turnovers, we need our version of a Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu, Bob Sanders, Shaune Merriman type player who opposing teams offensive coordinators have to game plan to stop. When was the last time this team had a intimidating player on defense that opposing offenses feared.

4. We need more and better players on this team and trading down to get additional picks would help this team more than drafting Curry, I would like to see us acquire I few more picks to address the needs at outside linebacker, both safety spots, center, right tackle, cornerback and wide receiver, I know we won't be able to solve all our needs in the draft and free agency but the more picks we could acquire the better.

5. How much better is our defense going to be by drafting Curry at # 5 or trading down to between the #10-20 selection if we could acquire a extra pick in the 3rd round or trading someone such as Derek Anderson, Kevin Shaffer, Corey William ( Better fit for a 4-3 team playing DT) along with our #5 selection to move down in the 1st round and pickup a late 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick.

6. Would Aaron Curry improve our defense that much drafting him at #5 than trading down and drafting guys like Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, Brian Orakpo, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Knowshon Moreno later in the 1st round.

7. Are we a better team drafting Curry at #5 or drafting other guys as mentioned above and getting additional picks and how much better would Curry improve the defense than Rey Maualuga or Brian Cushing, Everette Brown who we could acquire with a mid teens selection and also cost less dollars that we could spend in other areas to improve the team.

8. Last offseason everyone stated with the addition of shaun Rogers and Corey Williams our defense would be much better and we all saw that was not true, we had one of the top 3 nose tackles in the game and teams still ran the ball on us, so in my opinion we need more than just Aaron Curry to improve our run defense, this team needs 3 linebackers ( Please don't tell me about Wimbley) to run the 3-4 the way it should be run to not only stop the pass but to also get pressure off the edges and up the middle. (Would not be shocked if Mangini makes a statement by trading or releasing Wimbley)

Eric Barton as a run stopper would help this defense as much if not better than Curry as just a run stopper and he will be much much cheaper.

9.I would rather sign a couple guys in free agegency as run stopping LB's and draft a couple of pass rushing Lb's in the 1st or 2nd round a again if we can get a 3rd round pick bty trading down, like previously mentioned THIS TEAM NEEDS 3 NEW STARTING LINEBACKERS TO PLAY WITH D'QWELL JACKSON.

10. Aaron Curry did not face any strong offensive teams in the ACC, whereas guys like Maualuga and Cushing played much better competition at USC

11. Aaron Curry playing outside linebacker in 3 seasons at Wake Forrest has only 8.5 sacks, you would expect more from a outside linebacker

What I hope the Browns will do is trade down and draft Rey if he is there if Rey is gone I would look at Everette Brown, Brian Cushing or Larry English on defense and if Knowshon Moreno is available and we trade down to the teens I would select Moreno because he would be the best player on the board and as bad as we need defense this team has not had a premier running back since we got our team back. would also consider Malcom Jenkins to draft and play at free safety a ball hawking safety something this team needs very bad.

i've started to lean pass rusher, too, but i'm going to respond to your points because curry's going to be a great linebacker and can still definitely help this team.

1. scott, cowder and barton would be cheaper, but they'd be nowhere the caliber of player that curry will be. also, his duties wouldn't be to just stop the run. he'd also be a valuable weapon for our d-coordinator in the passing game, where he'd be able to play zone across the middle, knock down passes, smash receivers and pick off passes, which he's shown he's able to do.

2. so we should draft subpar players because they play certain positions and we're picking in the top 5? and you don't want a hard-hitting turnover-causing machine patrolling the middle of your defense, shutting down the run, causing fumbles and picking off passes? because that sounds like exactly the kind of player who should go in the top five regardless of the position he plays.

3. teams will have to gameplan to stop curry. they'll have to run and throw away from him, which will limit their options offensively and will make everyone else's job easier because they know they play is going to the outside on a run or to the WRs on the outside or deep on passes.

4. who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt? but i do agree that we need more picks

5. who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt? but i, again, agree that we need more picks.

6. who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt? curry's more of a sure prospect than the other guys you've mentioned. he's done it all while playing on a fairly crappy team, while we don't have the structure in place for a guy like maualuga, everette brown isn't going to be a good OLB, and i don't klnow about cushing. you may have me there if cushing can stay on the field, but an injury could derail any of these guys' careers.

7. this is the same question as six except with dollars taken into consideration. you have to wonder if one mid-level free agent for two or three years is enough to offset acquiring a potentially great player for six. it's not.

8. yes, we need 4 LBs. you're right. but saying that eric barton, a two-down LB, will help this team just as much as a guy who can do pretty much everything is a laughable comparison. curry isn't just a run stopper, and stopping the run isn't all he'd do for us. that's the point of getting him.

9. we aren't going to solve every problem we have this year. be patient. we need to build and find the best players we can instead of making decisions because we have so many needs. also, who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt?

10. maualuga and cushing also had guys like taylor mays, clay matthews and other USC-caliber talent on their team. facing stronger competition is offset by having far superior talent on the team.

11. he played OLB in the 4-3, a scheme where he didn't rush the passer. that's the DE's job in the scheme he played in, not the OLB's.

we don't have the structure in place to rein rey in. he's a bad fit for us because he's not disciplined and freelances sometimes. if we had a stronger team, he'd be a far better fit. everette brown will suck. cushing could work out. english is going to be a monster and is my favorite pass rusher in the draft. moreno's going to be a good RB. jenkins will be a great FS who offers tons of defensive flexibility because of his coverage ability. personally, i've started to lean towards english, but if we're stuck at five, i'd be happy with orakpo, who'll be a solid pro, jenkins or possibly even moreno.

i've started to lean pass rusher, too, but i'm going to respond to your points because curry's going to be a great linebacker and can still definitely help this team.

1. scott, cowder and barton would be cheaper, but they'd be nowhere the caliber of player that curry will be. also, his duties wouldn't be to just stop the run. he'd also be a valuable weapon for our d-coordinator in the passing game, where he'd be able to play zone across the middle, knock down passes, smash receivers and pick off passes, which he's shown he's able to do.

2. so we should draft subpar players because they play certain positions and we're picking in the top 5? and you don't want a hard-hitting turnover-causing machine patrolling the middle of your defense, shutting down the run, causing fumbles and picking off passes? because that sounds like exactly the kind of player who should go in the top five regardless of the position he plays.

3. teams will have to gameplan to stop curry. they'll have to run and throw away from him, which will limit their options offensively and will make everyone else's job easier because they know they play is going to the outside on a run or to the WRs on the outside or deep on passes.

4. who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt? but i do agree that we need more picks

5. who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt? but i, again, agree that we need more picks.

6. who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt? curry's more of a sure prospect than the other guys you've mentioned. he's done it all while playing on a fairly crappy team, while we don't have the structure in place for a guy like maualuga, everette brown isn't going to be a good OLB, and i don't klnow about cushing. you may have me there if cushing can stay on the field, but an injury could derail any of these guys' careers.

7. this is the same question as six except with dollars taken into consideration. you have to wonder if one mid-level free agent for two or three years is enough to offset acquiring a potentially great player for six. it's not.

8. yes, we need 4 LBs. you're right. but saying that eric barton, a two-down LB, will help this team just as much as a guy who can do pretty much everything is a laughable comparison. curry isn't just a run stopper, and stopping the run isn't all he'd do for us. that's the point of getting him.

9. we aren't going to solve every problem we have this year. be patient. we need to build and find the best players we can instead of making decisions because we have so many needs. also, who's going to trade with us, especially now that crabtree's hurt?

10. maualuga and cushing also had guys like taylor mays, clay matthews and other USC-caliber talent on their team. facing stronger competition is offset by having far superior talent on the team.

11. he played OLB in the 4-3, a scheme where he didn't rush the passer. that's the DE's job in the scheme he played in, not the OLB's.

we don't have the structure in place to rein rey in. he's a bad fit for us because he's not disciplined and freelances sometimes. if we had a stronger team, he'd be a far better fit. everette brown will suck. cushing could work out. english is going to be a monster and is my favorite pass rusher in the draft. moreno's going to be a good RB. jenkins will be a great FS who offers tons of defensive flexibility because of his coverage ability. personally, i've started to lean towards english, but if we're stuck at five, i'd be happy with orakpo, who'll be a solid pro, jenkins or possibly even moreno.

1. Do you really believe today that Aaron Curry is a better player than Bart Scott or Channing Crowder? Both these guys are proven NFL players, Curry is all based on potential he has not done anything in the NFL, I keep hearing the word solid player not GREAT PLAYER

2. Not saying we should draft a subpar player, but is there that big of a difference from what Curry can be or players like Orakpo, Maualuga, Cushing or Clay mathews, each guy brings something different and if I recall I remember people saying the same things I hear about Curry being said about A.J. Hawk just a few years ago and don't forget the position he will be playing next to Jackson is the run thumper in the 3-4 like the position Larry Foote plays for the Steelers and there is a huge difference playing in the NFL to Wake Forrest in the ACC and I will say the position he would play the run thumper in the 3-4 is not worth the type of money I would like to pay to a rookie, now if he were being drafted as a pass rushing outside LB then I could see taking Curry and paying that type of money but not at the position he will be playing.

3. How many teams game plan to stop a run stopping inside 3-4 linebacker? when you play the Steelers you want to stop Harrison and Woodley, with the Ravens Ray Lewis and Bart Scott or both special players who benefit with 2 good outside linebackers something the Browns don't have, we still have nothing at outside linebacker, IMO its easier to find a guy to throw is body at blocks and concentrate on stopping the run than finding that linebacker who can bring the pressure off the edge which is why pass rushing outside linebackers get paid alot more money than inside linebackers

4. Do you really believe Crabtree will fall that far, and there are other players in the draft teams will want to trade up for, don't be shocked to see the Eagles attempt to trade up since they have 2 1st round picks or the Bears to trade up and get a QB same with the Panthers, there are some teams that will trade up and I doubt even with the surgery Crabtree fall past #8.

5. How do you know Everette Brown won't be a good linebacker, the guy is very explosive, he could be better than Curry, same with Orakpo and Cushing and I think English may at the end along with Cushing be the best 2 outside linebackers in the draft, and IMO Maualuga offers more than Curry, I have seen Maualuga's play in big games against top competition whereas Curry has done his against not top competition in the ACC, alot of the same things you are hearing about Maualuga was said about Troy Palamalu while he was at USC and we have seen how with some good coaching Troy has become pretty good and I feel the same will happen with Rey Rey he is going to make some team very happy and play with a chip on his shoulder to show everyone who doubted his play. as far as the injury thing you never know Curry could get hurt football is a violent game you never know about injuries.

6. How do you know Curry will be GREAT, go back and read mocks and draft anaylis from the past 5 years and read about all the so called can't miss and so called great players and look at there careers now, you never know until you put these guys on the field and I would rather pay top dollars to a Bart Scott a proven player than a rookie who may be good, we all thought Courtney Brown, Gerad Warren and others would be great but it did'nt happen

7. Eric Barton is a good fit for our team now, remember the position you are asking Curry to play, he is the guy who will be taking on the blocks and being the run inforcer whereas Jackson will be the linebacker still chasing plays and for my money I would rather spend it on a pass rusher and get a free agent veteran to fill that role. Why do you think you don't see teams throwing the 8-9 million dolar contracts at inside linebackers that they give to outside guys who can rush the passer.

8. You talk about guys being 2 down players, most teams when they go to there nickle and dime packages pull linebackers for better coverage guys, do you see Larry Foote on the field for the Steelers on passing downs? No, when the Ravens go nickle and dime you see in some packages either Ray or Bart Scott off the field, so you would rather pay a rookie 7-8 million dollars a year to stay on the field in passing situations than pay a veteran 2 million to be a 2 down run stuffer? Its alot easier to find a veteran run stoppper at inside LB than a pass rushing outside LB thats why teams draft and develop there own pass rushing outside linebackers.

10. I will go so far today to say that Rey Maualuga will be a better pro player than Aaron Curry, there is a poster here named SOLON who last year told everyone who would listen that Jerrod Mayo would be a star at linebacker and people ripped on him, this same guy SOLON has said that Rey Maualuga wil be a stud linebacker and I agree with him.

11.I believe all this stuff about Rey over running plays and playing out of control will be fixed in the Pro's, Rey also shows me things that can't be coached you either have it or you don't, the kid is a big hitter, he plays fast in small space and he is a very good pass rusher off the edge or up the middle and to say he benefited by playing with Cushing , Mathews and Taylor Mays makes no sense, I could say those guys benefited by playing with Rey, because offensive coordinators game planned to accout for Rey, just go back and watch the Penn St game and you can see that Cushing and Mathews both benefited from the attention and blockers Penn St put on Rey Maualuga. I seem to recall another LB we drafted from a ACC school who everyone raved about I just hope we don't make the same mistake with this ACC linebacker. How good has Kam Wimbley turned out?

12. In a 4-3 defense outside linebackers do blitz, the fact he has only 8.5 sacks in 3 season tell me he is not a good pass rusher or has few pass rush moves, there are many teams that play a 4-3 and there outside linebackers have more than 8.5 sacks in 3 seasons and considering he was the best defensive player on the Wake Forrest team you would have to believe that coaching staff would of had in coming after the QB

When you get a chance look at the salaries of inside linebackers around the league compared to what outside linebackers and you would realize we would have alot of money allocated to the linebacker position if we select Curry and we will still need money for 2 pass rushers we need and 2 safeties we need along with another corner and WR and don't forget we need a RG, RT and center, so if we draft and pay Curry the money he will get that does not leave much money left for other needs.

Guest Masters

You lost me at #5. So your not willing to pay Curry, who can play inside, outside, cover, and rush the passer #5 pick money. But your willing to pay Rey, who can only play inside, and main job will be to ram his head into a wall all day #5 pick money? That makes no sense as all to me.

1. scott's a product of a system. i don't see him being that great in our system because he's an attacking player and we play a stupid, passive system. crowder, for what he brings to the table, will cost more than he's worth. he's a two-down run stuffer, and if we decide to go with a limited guy to play beside DQ, it shouldn't be someone we have to pay a lot. i believe curry's a better fit for our system because of his instincts and recognition skills, which are extremely important in a read and react type system.

2. saying that curry's going to be just a run stopper is limiting your estimation of what he can bring to the team. he won't just be stopping the run, he'll be playing the pass and staying on the field in nickel situations. he offers tremendous flexibility in run and passing situations, and having a guy who can do everything is always a good idea.

3. with the steelers and ravens, since you used them as examples, it's more about scheme than it is the players. teams are trying to stop edge pressure on passing plays and block enough guys to open a lane on run plays. this isn't to disregard the players - they're definitely talented - but it's more about scheme than it is players. with a high-recognition scheme, teams have to be very aware that the guys with the best instincts are the most likely to stop what they're trying to do. who has the best instincts of the LBs in this draft? who's out of position the least?

4. i don't think that crabtree will fall that far, but it takes the appeal away that could've driven teams to trade up for him. he still doesn't fall past seven or eight, but now that there's a question mark about him instead of a giant series of happy faces, there's not the massive appeal that he had before. and, beyond b.j. raji, who i think is going to the chiefs, i don't see a player worth trading up for because this is a deep, not top-heavy, draft.

5. everette brown won't work in the NFL because he's a one-trick guy. he's got a speed rush and spin move but no strength move like an inside rip or bull rush, and you need that to take on NFL tackles. that's why i don't like brown and why i like orakpo more; i've seen orakpo use a bull rush and rip to get sacks.

rey's an interesting proposition. i like his intensity, hitting, and pass rushing ability (if you want to see a great rip move, look at rey - he can toss people). however, he's out of position more often than he blows people up and he's not much in coverage, which means that he's a bad fit for the version of the 3-4 that we run because our scheme relies heavily on people being in the right place at the right time, which maualuga rarely is. curry, on the other hand, is in the right place more often than not, especially on plays like screens and draws, which makes him a better fit for our team.

6. i don't know that curry's going to be great. it's what i think will happen. opinions and assholes, you know?

7. again, you're discounting a lot of what curry will do for us by saying that he's just a run stopper. until you recognize that, there's not much to discuss.

8. i'd rather get a guy who i think is going to be great than settle on a stop-gap solution. if i thought any of the OLBs who would go around five would be great, i 'd be pimping them, which is why i advocate brian orakpo at that spot. he's my favorite of the top pass-rushing OLBs. larry english is my guy after that. he's got a ton of potential and a wicked first step, but will take time to develop because he hasn't played against amazing competition yet.

9. we disagree on rey insofar as i think he's a bad fit for our system because he has shitty instincts. i also disagree with solon on this one. he may be good for another team, but he's not a good fit for the cleveland browns because our scheme asks players to see what's happening and get there instead of giving them one assignment to execute. i hate this system. it sucks and doesn't work. however, i'm not the coach and can't change it.

10. how did rey not benefit from having talented players around him? they benefitted from him, too, certainyl, because football is a team game, but to say that he didn't have an advantage because he played at USC is ludicrous. and the ACC mike junkin thing is definitely disconcerting, but we have to remember that curry isn't mike junkin. they both played LB at basketball schools in the ACC, but that's the only comparison that we can really draw between them because they're different men.

11. yes, OLBs in 4-3s do blitz, just far less often than in a 3-4. if you were a DC and had a guy who's great in coverage and can read the QB, would you waste that by sending him on a blitz when you've got six other guys who can get after the QB? he's not a refined pass rusher, but that doesn't mean he can't do it. how often does derrick brooks blitz?

as far as filling out the team, we're going to suck next year no matter what, so we should get the best players we can and build for the future. we'd be perilously thin if we filled all those positions, anyway, because we'd have one guy at each and no one behind them. picking anyone at five will cost a lot of money, so you might as well get the best player possible, who i think is curry, a statement you disagree with. it's a matter of opinion, not objective fact, at this point.

You lost me at #5. So your not willing to pay Curry, who can play inside, outside, cover, and rush the passer #5 pick money. But your willing to pay Rey, who can only play inside, and main job will be to ram his head into a wall all day #5 pick money? That makes no sense as all to me.

Never said draft Rey at #5, I said we should trade down get a extra pick in 3rd or package another player with our #5 pick to get a late 2nd

Also the player that might be available at #5 that I would consider is Michael Crabtree he would have a bigger impact on the offense more than Curry would have on the defense.

What has Curry done to show you he can rush the passer? 8.5 sacks in 3 seasons

Has Patrick Willis changed the 49ers into a dominant defense, everyone compares Curry to the same type player

Masters, you are a pretty knowledgeable guy tell me how many teams are paying inside linebackers the type of money Curry will cost to ram his head into a wall all day and won't that be is main responsibility playing the strongside ILB next to D'Qwell

I believe it comes down to this would you prefer Curry at #5 or Rey, Cushing, Everette Brown, Jenkins or someone like that and a extra draft choice in the 2nd or 3rd round. I would prefer to trade down and get the extra pick. We need 3 linebackers not just a inside linebacker

I am aware that there are many people who want the Browns to draft Aaron Curry and feel he would be what the Browns need at the linebacker position but I am in the minority here and feel the Browns would be better to go in another direction and listed are my reason why.

1. The dollars to pay Curry that he will get at the number 5 selection in my opinion is too much to pay a inside linebacker whose main duties would be to stop the run, I feel we should target as our #1 Free Agent Bart Scott who is experienced and proven and IMO we would be paying top money for a proven guy who can also rush off the edge and he plays with a attitude something this team needs on defense, if not Scott I would try to sign Channing Crowder who would cost less than we would have to pay Curry. Eric Barton would be next if we fail to get Scott or Crowder.

2. IMO, when you are drafting in the top 5 you need to get a QB, LT, Pass Rusher, RB( Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson type) or Shut down cornerback with a selection that high, the guy we draft at #5 should come in and start from day 1 and be a PLAYMAKER/GAME CHANGER type of player and IMO I don't see that in watching Curry. We have our LT in Joe Thomas and hopefully our QB in Brady Quinn now lets start adding the other pieces. This team has not had a dominating pass rusher since Jamir Miller.

3. This team needs a identity and a guy like Rey Maualuga would give this defense something its lacked since returning, we need a guy who creates turnovers, we need our version of a Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu, Bob Sanders, Shaune Merriman type player who opposing teams offensive coordinators have to game plan to stop. When was the last time this team had a intimidating player on defense that opposing offenses feared.

4. We need more and better players on this team and trading down to get additional picks would help this team more than drafting Curry, I would like to see us acquire I few more picks to address the needs at outside linebacker, both safety spots, center, right tackle, cornerback and wide receiver, I know we won't be able to solve all our needs in the draft and free agency but the more picks we could acquire the better.

5. How much better is our defense going to be by drafting Curry at # 5 or trading down to between the #10-20 selection if we could acquire a extra pick in the 3rd round or trading someone such as Derek Anderson, Kevin Shaffer, Corey William ( Better fit for a 4-3 team playing DT) along with our #5 selection to move down in the 1st round and pickup a late 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick.

6. Would Aaron Curry improve our defense that much drafting him at #5 than trading down and drafting guys like Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, Brian Orakpo, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Knowshon Moreno later in the 1st round.

7. Are we a better team drafting Curry at #5 or drafting other guys as mentioned above and getting additional picks and how much better would Curry improve the defense than Rey Maualuga or Brian Cushing, Everette Brown who we could acquire with a mid teens selection and also cost less dollars that we could spend in other areas to improve the team.

8. Last offseason everyone stated with the addition of shaun Rogers and Corey Williams our defense would be much better and we all saw that was not true, we had one of the top 3 nose tackles in the game and teams still ran the ball on us, so in my opinion we need more than just Aaron Curry to improve our run defense, this team needs 3 linebackers ( Please don't tell me about Wimbley) to run the 3-4 the way it should be run to not only stop the pass but to also get pressure off the edges and up the middle. (Would not be shocked if Mangini makes a statement by trading or releasing Wimbley)

Eric Barton as a run stopper would help this defense as much if not better than Curry as just a run stopper and he will be much much cheaper.

9.I would rather sign a couple guys in free agegency as run stopping LB's and draft a couple of pass rushing Lb's in the 1st or 2nd round a again if we can get a 3rd round pick bty trading down, like previously mentioned THIS TEAM NEEDS 3 NEW STARTING LINEBACKERS TO PLAY WITH D'QWELL JACKSON.

10. Aaron Curry did not face any strong offensive teams in the ACC, whereas guys like Maualuga and Cushing played much better competition at USC

11. Aaron Curry playing outside linebacker in 3 seasons at Wake Forrest has only 8.5 sacks, you would expect more from a outside linebacker

What I hope the Browns will do is trade down and draft Rey if he is there if Rey is gone I would look at Everette Brown, Brian Cushing or Larry English on defense and if Knowshon Moreno is available and we trade down to the teens I would select Moreno because he would be the best player on the board and as bad as we need defense this team has not had a premier running back since we got our team back. would also consider Malcom Jenkins to draft and play at free safety a ball hawking safety something this team needs very bad.

Fabulous post Sony and right on.........................

My problem is an astute one

Defense does not win championships or playoff spots

Offense does

We have turds at RB and WR and a giant ? at QB

So, my view is go for the best RB in the draft with the five pick unless there are no top notch rb's ........right now I can think of three who can be game changers

Focusing on D on time worn out on offense that cannot score is in my dimwitted view mindless........

Offense wins........just ask Ben

Never said draft Rey at #5, I said we should trade down get a extra pick in 3rd or package another player with our #5 pick to get a late 2nd

Also the player that might be available at #5 that I would consider is Michael Crabtree he would have a bigger impact on the offense more than Curry would have on the defense.

Has Patrick Willis changed the 49ers into a dominant defense, everyone compares Curry to the same type player

Masters, you are a pretty knowledgeable guy tell me how many teams are paying inside linebackers the type of money Curry will cost to ram his head into a wall all day and won't that be is main responsibility playing the strongside ILB next to D'Qwell

I believe it comes down to this would you prefer Curry at #5 or Rey, Cushing, Everette Brown, Jenkins or someone like that and a extra draft choice in the 2nd or 3rd round. I would prefer to trade down and get the extra pick. We need 3 linebackers not just a inside linebacker

Sony, to echo heck's point - you are putting a lot of thought into this and I understand your pre-occupation with the low sack numbers, but....

How many of the other Wake Linebackers Curry shares the field with are being given 1st and second round consideration?

How about the rest of the 10 players on D?

Curry was Wake's D.

It's a lot easier to go for the highlight-reel hit when you've got Cushing, Matthews, Mays, etc.. to pick up your slack if you miss.

well... we know where I stand on this...

I believe that is a GREAT argument.

Is our team better picking curry at five, or tading down and getting Rey PLUS more picks to improve other positions as well.

If you think curry at 5 is the better choice... your dumb. the thing is, would we be able to trade down for Rey, if we are not able to do so, then the choice is Curry at 5

1. scott's a product of a system. i don't see him being that great in our system because he's an attacking player and we play a stupid, passive system. crowder, for what he brings to the table, will cost more than he's worth. he's a two-down run stuffer, and if we decide to go with a limited guy to play beside DQ, it shouldn't be someone we have to pay a lot. i believe curry's a better fit for our system because of his instincts and recognition skills, which are extremely important in a read and react type system.

2. saying that curry's going to be just a run stopper is limiting your estimation of what he can bring to the team. he won't just be stopping the run, he'll be playing the pass and staying on the field in nickel situations. he offers tremendous flexibility in run and passing situations, and having a guy who can do everything is always a good idea.

3. with the steelers and ravens, since you used them as examples, it's more about scheme than it is the players. teams are trying to stop edge pressure on passing plays and block enough guys to open a lane on run plays. this isn't to disregard the players - they're definitely talented - but it's more about scheme than it is players. with a high-recognition scheme, teams have to be very aware that the guys with the best instincts are the most likely to stop what they're trying to do. who has the best instincts of the LBs in this draft? who's out of position the least?

4. i don't think that crabtree will fall that far, but it takes the appeal away that could've driven teams to trade up for him. he still doesn't fall past seven or eight, but now that there's a question mark about him instead of a giant series of happy faces, there's not the massive appeal that he had before. and, beyond b.j. raji, who i think is going to the chiefs, i don't see a player worth trading up for because this is a deep, not top-heavy, draft.

5. everette brown won't work in the NFL because he's a one-trick guy. he's got a speed rush and spin move but no strength move like an inside rip or bull rush, and you need that to take on NFL tackles. that's why i don't like brown and why i like orakpo more; i've seen orakpo use a bull rush and rip to get sacks.

rey's an interesting proposition. i like his intensity, hitting, and pass rushing ability (if you want to see a great rip move, look at rey - he can toss people). however, he's out of position more often than he blows people up and he's not much in coverage, which means that he's a bad fit for the version of the 3-4 that we run because our scheme relies heavily on people being in the right place at the right time, which maualuga rarely is. curry, on the other hand, is in the right place more often than not, especially on plays like screens and draws, which makes him a better fit for our team.

6. i don't know that curry's going to be great. it's what i think will happen. opinions and assholes, you know?

7. again, you're discounting a lot of what curry will do for us by saying that he's just a run stopper. until you recognize that, there's not much to discuss.

8. i'd rather get a guy who i think is going to be great than settle on a stop-gap solution. if i thought any of the OLBs who would go around five would be great, i 'd be pimping them, which is why i advocate brian orakpo at that spot. he's my favorite of the top pass-rushing OLBs. larry english is my guy after that. he's got a ton of potential and a wicked first step, but will take time to develop because he hasn't played against amazing competition yet.

9. we disagree on rey insofar as i think he's a bad fit for our system because he has shitty instincts. i also disagree with solon on this one. he may be good for another team, but he's not a good fit for the cleveland browns because our scheme asks players to see what's happening and get there instead of giving them one assignment to execute. i hate this system. it sucks and doesn't work. however, i'm not the coach and can't change it.

10. how did rey not benefit from having talented players around him? they benefitted from him, too, certainyl, because football is a team game, but to say that he didn't have an advantage because he played at USC is ludicrous. and the ACC mike junkin thing is definitely disconcerting, but we have to remember that curry isn't mike junkin. they both played LB at basketball schools in the ACC, but that's the only comparison that we can really draw between them because they're different men.

11. yes, OLBs in 4-3s do blitz, just far less often than in a 3-4. if you were a DC and had a guy who's great in coverage and can read the QB, would you waste that by sending him on a blitz when you've got six other guys who can get after the QB? he's not a refined pass rusher, but that doesn't mean he can't do it. how often does derrick brooks blitz?

as far as filling out the team, we're going to suck next year no matter what, so we should get the best players we can and build for the future. we'd be perilously thin if we filled all those positions, anyway, because we'd have one guy at each and no one behind them. picking anyone at five will cost a lot of money, so you might as well get the best player possible, who i think is curry, a statement you disagree with. it's a matter of opinion, not objective fact, at this point.

First let me say I know Curry can do many things, when I say him just being a run stopper thats the role I see him playing next to D'Qwell Jackson, sure Curry can do many different things but I think what he does best and would do for the Browns would be your battering ram run stuffing linebacker.

I would think and this is just my opinion if Curry was and showed great pass rushing ability no team would move him inside, he would be better utilized playing outside to take advantage of his many talents than playing him inside, now let me say this if the Browns were to draft Curry and play in him strongside outside linebacker I would have no problem with that or even moving him to the weakside ( I think its time we replace Wimbley) but my problem is spending a draft choice that high and then playing him at inside linebacker

You don't feel with good coaching Rey can fix some of those problems he has you discussed, I remember the same exact things being said about Troy Palamalu he turned into a pretty special player

I am glad we can have a discussion with different opinions I have seen to many times difference of opinions turn into name calling

I think you might be correct about Rey not being the right fit for our rather conservative boring read and react 3-4, if we played a 3-4 like the Ravens or Steelers I believe Rey would be a terrific player, in the system we play if its anything like the 3-4 played under Crennel I don't think any aggresive player would thrive in the type of 3-4 we seem intent on playing.

I just don't understand as much as the NFL is a copycat league you see the success that the Ravens and Steelers have with there attack 3-4 and players linining up in different positions and you never know where the pressure is coming from and overloading one side of the line why more coaches don't employ this type of system plus the players I am sure playing that all attack style defense and its been proven it works.

Fabulous post Sony and right on.........................

My problem is an astute one

Defense does not win championships or playoff spots

Offense does

We have turds at RB and WR and a giant ? at QB

So, my view is go for the best RB in the draft with the five pick unless there are no top notch rb's ........right now I can think of three who can be game changers

Focusing on D on time worn out on offense that cannot score is in my dimwitted view mindless........

Offense wins........just ask Ben

Some people will never learn, they still have the old argument defense wins championships and offense sells tickets

New England when they were winning every year I suppose people forgot it was Tom Brady and the offense winning the Super Bowl and forgetting that Brady and offensive players always win the Super Bowl MVP awards

The Arizona Cardinals played in the Super Bowl because of a high octane OFFENSE not because of a great defense, they thought so much of there defense they fired there defensive coordinator

The Steelers won the Super Bowl because of there offense at the end of the game that was Ben Roethlisberger leading his team downfield the last 2 minutes and Santonio Holmes catching passes that last drive yet again that was OFFENSE but people still want to believe defense wins one day they will learn

Regarding the draft I don't feel there is a running back in this draft worth selecting #5, the best offensive players in the draft IMO are Michael Crabtree and a close 2nd Jerry Macklin and Percey Harvin 2 wide recivers but neither of those are worth #5, actually not many guys in this draft are worth #5 money IMO there is not much difference between the 5th player selected and the 10th player selected

Best running backs in the draft are Knowshon Moreno-Georgia, Chris Wells-Ohio State and LeShon McCoy-Pitt

But I agree with you we need more guys who can score touchdowns, guys with the ability to score everytime they touch the ball thats something many fans don't realize we lack PLAYMAKERS/ GAME CHANGING PLAYERS AND PLAYERS THAT SCORE TOUCHDOWNS, we need guys on defense that create turnovers

Sony, to echo heck's point - you are putting a lot of thought into this and I understand your pre-occupation with the low sack numbers, but....

How many of the other Wake Linebackers Curry shares the field with are being given 1st and second round consideration?

How about the rest of the 10 players on D?

Curry was Wake's D.

It's a lot easier to go for the highlight-reel hit when you've got Cushing, Matthews, Mays, etc.. to pick up your slack if you miss.

Legacy I put alot of time in thinking this out before posting my thoughts, let me say I am not basing what I am saying off reading some guys mock or have any dislike for Aaron Curry fact is I have seen Curry play I believe 7 games this season so I think I know a little what I am talking about, Curry is a very good player and I feel he will be a very good linebacker, my problem is if we are drafting Curry at #5 to move him to inside linebacker its a huge mistake the kid would be better IMO playing as a 4-3 outside linebacker which he played at Wake Forrest than as a 3-4 inside linebacker will you will not get to utilize many of his talents, he does need to get some pass rush moves that the one big weakness he does have, he is very good against the run and a good cover linebacker and also a very good specials team player.

I don't feel any inside linebacker is worth utilizing the 5th selection in the draft on now if you want to play him a strongside outside linebacker I have no problem or move him over to replace Wimbley on the weakside.

Let me give you a example you hear people compare him to Derrick Brooks would you move Derrick Brooks in his prime to inside linebacker or lets say today would you move a James Harrison to inside linebacker? No

Hope this better explains my thoughts, plus I want has many extra picks as we can get we need more players

Im not worried about who we draft either way we have so many holes on both sides of the ball 1 guy isnt going to help much..with mangini saying he wants to keep the likes of chaun smith because he is skilled and can get better scares the bejesus out of me..so much for guys that are smart,tough and have a good tude...lol we are going to suck this year.

Some people will never learn, they still have the old argument defense wins championships and offense sells tickets

New England when they were winning every year I suppose people forgot it was Tom Brady and the offense winning the Super Bowl and forgetting that Brady and offensive players always win the Super Bowl MVP awards

The Arizona Cardinals played in the Super Bowl because of a high octane OFFENSE not because of a great defense, they thought so much of there defense they fired there defensive coordinator

The Steelers won the Super Bowl because of there offense at the end of the game that was Ben Roethlisberger leading his team downfield the last 2 minutes and Santonio Holmes catching passes that last drive yet again that was OFFENSE but people still want to believe defense wins one day they will learn

Regarding the draft I don't feel there is a running back in this draft worth selecting #5, the best offensive players in the draft IMO are Michael Crabtree and a close 2nd Jerry Macklin and Percey Harvin 2 wide recivers but neither of those are worth #5, actually not many guys in this draft are worth #5 money IMO there is not much difference between the 5th player selected and the 10th player selected

Best running backs in the draft are Knowshon Moreno-Georgia, Chris Wells-Ohio State and LeShon McCoy-Pitt

But I agree with you we need more guys who can score touchdowns, guys with the ability to score everytime they touch the ball thats something many fans don't realize we lack PLAYMAKERS/ GAME CHANGING PLAYERS AND PLAYERS THAT SCORE TOUCHDOWNS, we need guys on defense that create turnovers

Again Sony you are very astute. But I ask you why did you leave out Brown as a candidate RB.................right now based on all evidence I think Chris Wells is the best RB out their. I also think the Browns need to go offense

with picks one and two

I am going to do some research on Brown who may be intruiging

We agree in the huge minority that it is offense that wins championships...........shussh............if you say that openly the herd will demote you as an idiot...............someday they will get it

Again Sony you are very astute. But I ask you why did you leave out Brown as a candidate RB.................right now based on all evidence I think Chris Wells is the best RB out their. I also think the Browns need to go offense

with picks one and two

I am going to do some research on Brown who may be intruiging

I just feel that Moreno, Wells and McCoy are better IMO than Brown, yet I can't take away the production of Brown the running back who you should take a look at is Rashard Jennings. Yes the Browns need offense but unless they plan on trying to outscore everyone they will need some defense.

You look at this defense and there are only 2 guys in Shaun Rogers and D'Qwell Jackson who are very good players, the rest of the defense is made up of guys with potential like Eric Wright, overrated like Sean Jones, very average in Brodney Pool, McDonald who should only be a nickle back IMO and a group of linebackers with the exception of D'Qwell Jackson who are very bad NFL players and slow, Alex Hall is a project, Wimbley has proven has you pointed out a man with one move who the league has quickly figured out and we have DT's playing defensive end so they are also very slow.

This team has many more holes to fill than most fans want to admit, we still need a right guard, right tackle and center on the offensive line and another wide receiver and we have a washed up running back and a guy in Harrison who in his limited time looked good and people want to believe can be a full time back, I think the guy as a change of pace back is fine but I don't believe he is a guy that can be a everydown back in the AFC North.

Would love to trade down a few places and get extra picks, but i can't see us finding a trade partner. The economy is one of the reasons, how many teams out there are looking to spend a lot on an unproven player at the number 5 slot, and to spend extra draft picks to do so is unlikely. Also, its expensive to get the number 5 pick, i could perhaps see someone (San Francisco?) trading up for Sanchez if the Chiefs pass him up (but that should mean Curry is gone anyway). Who is willing to eschew draft choices to trade up for an expensive unproven player at the moment?

Guest Masters

If CLE can trade out of the 5 spots, great. I still wouldn't take Rey though. Depending on how far back they went, I'd sooner go Cushing or Mathews.

Crabtree will be gone by 5. I think he'll still go before Curry.

Stats don't tell the tale for Curry rushing the passer. He wasn't asked to rush much from the 4-3 OLB position. When you watch film on him, when he's asked to go after the QB, he gets there. There is a reason scouts almost unanimously put him as a guy that can play inside or outside in a 3-4. Throw in what he showed at the combine, and there is little doubt he can rush the passer from the outside. He has more going for him on raw talent than the reigning NFL defensive MVP.

I don't ever compare Curry to Willis. I have seen people compare Rey to Willis as an impact inside. But I am with you on Willis. He hasn't done anything really for SF D. He is an expensive D'Qwell in my opinion.

Curry won't be an ILB on a 3-4 team, unless it is one with good OLB already imo. But if CLE is sitting at #5 on draft day, with no trade down option, and Curry on the board. I take him in heartbeat. In an ideal world, CLE gets to trade back and get a Cushing, Brown, Jenkins, or Mathews.

Archived