THE BROWNS BOARD

Concert Bill Mismatches

Driving in the car yesterday, I heard a song by Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Hearing them brought me back to - what I consider to be - the greatest mismatch in concert billing I ever witnessed.

"In the day", a (then) unknown Earth, Wind, and Fire took the stage at the old Paramount Theater in Springfield, MA as the opening act for Captain Beefhart and His Magic Band.

They must have been signed to the same record label and the intent was to give EWF national exposure, although Don Van Vliet (AKA Captain Beefhart) was far, far from a nationally known or mainstream act.

Any way, it is hard to top that one.

Do you guys have any such experiences?

Driving in the car yesterday, I heard a song by Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Hearing them brought me back to - what I consider to be - the greatest mismatch in concert billing I ever witnessed.

"In the day", a (then) unknown Earth, Wind, and Fire took the stage at the old Paramount Theater in Springfield, MA as the opening act for Captain Beefhart and His Magic Band.

They must have been signed to the same record label and the intent was to give EWF national exposure, although Don Van Vliet (AKA Captain Beefhart) was far, far from a nationally known or mainstream act.

Any way, it is hard to top that one.

Do you guys have any such experiences?

Also Leon Redbone opening for Jimmy Cliff at the Academy of Music in Northampton, MA.

I once watched Lenny Kravitz (very early in his career) open for Tom Petty at the now gone Richfield Coliseum. I enjoyed the show, but 95% of the crowd wanted Kravitz out of their asap so they could see Tom Petty.

I told my dad about it the next day and he remarked that crowd comments can crush an inexperienced performer. Kravitz seemed to take it in stride, and does a bit of acting, too.

I also saw Tony Carey/Planet P in the same billing as Night Ranger and 38 Special, which would seem to be more of a non fit but the crowd was pretty warm to him/them.

I once watched Lenny Kravitz (very early in his career) open for Tom Petty at the now gone Richfield Coliseum. I enjoyed the show, but 95% of the crowd wanted Kravitz out of their asap so they could see Tom Petty.

I told my dad about it the next day and he remarked that crowd comments can crush an inexperienced performer. Kravitz seemed to take it in stride, and does a bit of acting, too.

I also saw Tony Carey/Planet P in the same billing as Night Ranger and 38 Special, which would seem to be more of a non fit but the crowd was pretty warm to him/them.

I love Tony Carey. He's at least 1 of my top 10 favorite artists.

Planet P doesn't seem like a huge mismatch, though I'm not a fan of Night Ranger or 38 special.

WSS

• 5 years later...

Can't touch OBF's, but think I've told the story of Dan Hicks and His Hot licks sandwiched between Redbone and Steppenwolf at Cleveland Pub Aud.

Year was 1971... I don't remember Fanny playing (my date and I got there late... :)  ), but they'd have added another layer of at least misalignment.

image.png.44439d091b52a464ae2f1ef2a912a822.png

Went  to a show once at like the Allen Theater.    KISS opened up for the New York Dolls.

Its not so much that that was a mismatch,  but the billing should have been the other way around.  KISS did their whole grand crazy KISS thing....with the flames and the smoke and everything....but in a small venue.   While I always like the NYD,  face it, the energy level in the room went way down after KISS was done.