THE BROWNS BOARD

Gruden Says Rey is his Favorite Player in the Draft

Flugel

The Tampa Bay Coach that won a Superbowl on a day his defense scored 4 TDs says he LOVES what he sees on film from Rey. Gruden has the Rey-dar. He asked the other guys sitting near him - have you seen how hard this kid hits? He said "I LOVE this kid." Isn't that what I've always said about him that everytime we see his highlights - he's jarring footballs loose or violently colliding with others?

In fairness, if someone on the board doesn't like him - we get the highlights of his bad day. That said, did anyone hear about Curry and others in 2007? Lauranitis was mentioned alot if one digs his style.

I'm not putting Rey AHEAD of Curry, I'm merely reminding people Curry is having dinner with the team picking for so the notion he'll be around at #5 isn't very real at this time. Now Andre Smith and Crabtree will slide so that even makes Curry and Crabby less realistic at #5.

Don't forget what EVERYONE tried to do with Adrian Peterson - "he might need season ending surgery before his first NFL training camp." Minnesota said "Adrian Peterson where we are? RUN IT! And they haven't stopped." The ONLY team above them that got an All Pro was us right?

The GOOD thing about Rey is we don't have to waste his first year or 2 teachign his a new defensive scheme. D'Qwell has taken a while with the adjustment if we're being hinest. I like a guy READY for impact.

I'm at the point where I'll smile with ANY of the following scenarios:

1) Curry, but I gotta better chance of wining a state lottery.

2) Rey. Makes me spray! The negativity toward him is generated from those wanting him to slide to them. Has2B.

3) Harvin/Maclin - the little guy benched 225 for 19 reps. he's not exactly Northcutt weighing in at 163 for better 40s.

4) Knowshon Moreno - If you can tear it up in the SEC - it's a good prognosis and I like him being a junior from a wear and tear thing.

5) And I forgot tradedown

As you were,

- Tom F. (The Derek Anderson & Cleveland Browns-induced Bipolar Basterd.)

I obviously still want Rey... scrtach that... this team needs Rey... We all agreed that we needed a MLB in this draft. With our pick at #5 with Curry most likely gone, he is unarguably the best MLB available.

Lets suck it up and take him at 5, I no longer trust trading down for him.

Hey Playground. I was just wondering what you thought about Rey in the Rose Bowl? He looked very slow and was completely out of most plays. He took bad angles at the backs, and got suckered into a few play actions. Cushing and Clay Jr. were all over the TV. This was just my impression from watching the game. I was hoping for a better game, but wasn't impressed in the end.

What did you think?

Saying stuff like that is easy. If you were to take Gruden at his word, that means if John was coaching the Lions this year he'd obviuosly choose Rey as the #1 overall player. He's his favorite player, right? The Lions sure could use A LOT of help at LB. Besides Ernie Sims, their LB corps stinks.

Anyone who thinks Gruden would take Rey as the #1 overall...Well, I have this land in the Florida Keys I'd like to sell you.

I obviously still want Rey... scrtach that... this team needs Rey... We all agreed that we needed a MLB in this draft. With our pick at #5 with Curry most likely gone, he is unarguably the best MLB available.

Lets suck it up and take him at 5, I no longer trust trading down for him.

Remember. Mangini at his press conference said that his #1 priority on defense would be to stop the run and I believe that ILB is a "must" for this team. After Rey, there isn't a real impact ILB in this draft. Disregarding what may happen in FA, If we take a pass rusher (OLB) with our #1 or stray to another position, what happens at ILB since there is zero chance that Davis will be there next year and Bell is a big question mark.

Is there a lock ILB, who can walk in and start next to Jackson, available at #37. This defense/team doesn't go anywhere until they can stop the run. That's why Rey looks so good to many, but he is a reach at #5.

That is the sole reason why I believe that Bart Scott should be our #1 priority in FA. You get Bart Scott, then you can take the best player available at #5 without leaving a gaping hole at ILB. that means you can take a Orapko or Everette Brown, or even a Jenkins. It also doesn't lock you in to a reach ILB at #37. It allows you to pick a RB or a center.

The #1 priority of this team has to be filling Andra Davis's spot at ILB with an impact player and then you can move on to other needs. Some think it's a big reach but if you can't take care of it through FA then you have to take a hard look at Rey.

Hey Playground. I was just wondering what you thought about Rey in the Rose Bowl? He looked very slow and was completely out of most plays. He took bad angles at the backs, and got suckered into a few play actions. Cushing and Clay Jr. were all over the TV. This was just my impression from watching the game. I was hoping for a better game, but wasn't impressed in the end.

What did you think?

Did you see the rose bowl against Illinois??/ 3 sacks , forced fumble and a Pick.... as a mlb. You know I'd take him.

Saying stuff like that is easy. If you were to take Gruden at his word, that means if John was coaching the Lions this year he'd obviuosly choose Rey as the #1 overall player. He's his favorite player, right? The Lions sure could use A LOT of help at LB. Besides Ernie Sims, their LB corps stinks.

Anyone who thinks Gruden would take Rey as the #1 overall...Well, I have this land in the Florida Keys I'd like to sell you.

More specifically, if Gruden said the SAME thing about Lauranitis you would have zero problem with that. I LIKE that fight in you. Seriously, Gruden isn't hired by the worst franchise in the NFL to speak on behalf of them Old Cow. He's hired by the NFL Channel. We're not drafting in the #1 spot either and the FACT that Curry is 1 of 2 players the Lions ARE showing interest in - I'm GLAD someone likes our alternative because we need LBers. That should have been good news right?

If Lauranitis was as memorable in BIG games as Rey seems to have been in the last 2 years - I'm guessing he'd have a bigger consensus than just the Ohio State faithful. When OSU played USC what LBer changed the scoreboard for his team's benefit? Rey. It's the only highlight of that game worth showing so it's the only one they do show.

It's not that I dislike Lauranitis. The things I LIKE about Lauranitis is he's an overachiever that works hard. BUT for people to have him in the upper half of round 1 seems far fetched. He's never even had the impact of Katzenmoyer, who didn't even LAST in the NFL. That guy ran 4.5s and hit like a freight train. ASU was petrified after he laid some kid out early and the helmet travelled 15 yards down field. That's what I call presence and intimidation with prolonged impact on a game's outcome. Whenever OSU leaves the conference (except for Texas) Lauranitis looked like the Invisible Man in terms of impact and presence. Against LSU, he was a Houdini Rabbitt. I've heard that's what Rey was vrs Oregon State; BUT when they ran a screen, there were 2 OLINEMEN attacking Rey so they at least game-planned solutions for their preceived threat. That's called respect. The guys trying to block the Screen in the Senior Bowl were LESS prepared for Rey and what happened? The poor kid that caught the pass got smothered by Rey as the 2 olinemen standing there looked like they were posing for Animal Crackers.

Rey ain't perfect BUT he earned country-wide respect before I even said my first "Wow!" If we're savvy enough we could find BAD highlights for every player. Everybody likes Curry so nobody looked for his worst moments to share on video. Forget Gruden for 1 second, just name me the Consensus All American LBers and I think we're good.

- Tom F.

I'm concerned when you compare Rey to Katzenmoyer

I didn't. He was brought up in comparison to Lauranitis since they both played LBer for the same team. I said I didn't think Lauranitis had the same impact on a game as Katzenmoyer. As an Ohio State fan, I've seen alot of their games the last few years. I see a GOOD LBer not a top 5 pick.

Andy ran 4.5s, hit like a truck and had a gigantic frame. I think the fact that BB drafted him where he drafted him - when he's pretty good at sizing up NFL LBers should also ease your feelings about the Big Kat. He didn't stop playing because he wasn't good enough - he just had the same injury that ended Spielman's career. Doesn't mean either guy sucked - it means they reached the end of the road because of bad luck.

I'd LIKE to see Lauranitis succeed but if some team drafts him in the top 5 I'm not very confident he's going to be the X-factor between winning or losing for a bad team/defense. Was he vrs USC? Was he vrs LSU? Was he vrs Penn State? Was he vrs Texas? Was he vrs Florida? Was he vrs Illinois in 2007? Back to Katzenmoyer, he WAS a difference in their Bowl Game vrs ASU/Texas A&M (can't remember which one because we beat both teams).

- Tom F.

Mayock has JL ahead of Rey as top ILB. I'm a big Mayock fan but I disagree with him on that point.

Me too. Mayock is great (VERY good at covering the combines) but I don't think oline is one of his strengths and I disagree about the JL over Rey thing too.

If anyone WATCHED Alabama play this year and they ranked 1 tackle higher than Andre Smith I gotta question it. They basically lined up and told and told GA they running right behind Smitty and there wasn't a thing GA could do to stop it. He's one of the best I've seen in a LONG time. Reminds me of the Erik Williams that started for Dallas. I KNOW he screwed up HUGE at the combines and I would question his character enormously right now BUT the kid is a kid who doesn't look like the bightest kid on campus. I wasn't blown away by 1 highlight of the tackle from Baylor. Mayock is falling in love with him because he used to be a TE and thinks he's got the athleticism to grow into the position.

NOW try to recall what a completely different chaotic offense Bama had vrs Utah without Andre Smith. Utah attacked and exploited Andre's backup all game. They didn't even resemble the Bama team people saw all season.

That's a difference maker IMO. I HOPE someone gets that kid's head right because that's too good of a player to go down the tubes to piss poor guidance. He screwed up but it's not like the kid is doing drugs or getting into trouble. Hopefully there's a good agent out there that saw this and leads this kid to better things than unfolded this weekend.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

How do you know that Andre Smith is better than a guy you've never seen play?

I thought Jason Smith was pretty impressive in the Texas game. He completely neutralized Sergio Kindle and looked great blocking on the move. And he's not a moron, which is a plus.

More specifically, if Gruden said the SAME thing about Lauranitis you would have zero problem with that. I LIKE that fight in you. Seriously, Gruden isn't hired by the worst franchise in the NFL to speak on behalf of them Old Cow. He's hired by the NFL Channel. We're not drafting in the #1 spot either and the FACT that Curry is 1 of 2 players the Lions ARE showing interest in - I'm GLAD someone likes our alternative because we need LBers. That should have been good news right?

If Lauranitis was as memorable in BIG games as Rey seems to have been in the last 2 years - I'm guessing he'd have a bigger consensus than just the Ohio State faithful. When OSU played USC what LBer changed the scoreboard for his team's benefit? Rey. It's the only highlight of that game worth showing so it's the only one they do show.

It's not that I dislike Lauranitis. The things I LIKE about Lauranitis is he's an overachiever that works hard. BUT for people to have him in the upper half of round 1 seems far fetched. He's never even had the impact of Katzenmoyer, who didn't even LAST in the NFL. That guy ran 4.5s and hit like a freight train. ASU was petrified after he laid some kid out early and the helmet travelled 15 yards down field. That's what I call presence and intimidation with prolonged impact on a game's outcome. Whenever OSU leaves the conference (except for Texas) Lauranitis looked like the Invisible Man in terms of impact and presence. Against LSU, he was a Houdini Rabbitt. I've heard that's what Rey was vrs Oregon State; BUT when they ran a screen, there were 2 OLINEMEN attacking Rey so they at least game-planned solutions for their preceived threat. That's called respect. The guys trying to block the Screen in the Senior Bowl were LESS prepared for Rey and what happened? The poor kid that caught the pass got smothered by Rey as the 2 olinemen standing there looked like they were posing for Animal Crackers.

Rey ain't perfect BUT he earned country-wide respect before I even said my first "Wow!" If we're savvy enough we could find BAD highlights for every player. Everybody likes Curry so nobody looked for his worst moments to share on video. Forget Gruden for 1 second, just name me the Consensus All American LBers and I think we're good.

- Tom F.

Oh don't get me wrong....I'm not a huge JL fan either. I don't think I said that I was. I think in the right system he could be a good linebacker. But I'm not one to beat the drum for Lauriniatis. I'm a big Buckeye fan, but when it comes to the NFL I do not where scarlet and gray glasses like some fans do. For example, I'm one of Well's biggest critics and doubters.

It'll be interesting to see how JL fares. I really hope he goes to the Giants because I think he has the best chance to succeed there.

I wouldn't underestimate or think that JL didn't have big games. He's a had a lot of INT's over his career and has played well in big games. I think he had 9 or 10 tackles in the Fiesta Bowl. The game before against Michigan was one of the best games I've seen a LB have.

As far as mentioning the Big Kat...He's out of football for one reason. A neck injury. It wasn't because he couldn't play. He walked away on his own due to the possibility of ending up be paralyzed.

For me Rey and JL are ranked about the same. Mid to late 1st rounders. Rey has some spectacular highlights but just as you saw with Aloys film he posted, you can see some plays where he looks very ugly as well.

I

Laurinaitis will be better than Maualuga in the NFL IMO. I don't think Rey has it upstairs. Anyway, I am still on the Curry bandwagon with our #5 pick.

But, what happens when Curry is gone before we pick. With Crabtree's injury and questions about Smith to go along with doubts of the QBs, I got to think Curry might be gone when it's time for the Brown's to pick.

Do you reach for a need or take the best player available?

What do I think about this years rosebowl?

Well I saw one really good play Rey made sniffing out the RB in a huge pile up from behind and bringing him down.

Outside of that Rey didn't show off that much. I'd have to say mainly due to the fact that he was being primarily gameplanned against. That and the fact that your not going to have the greatest game of your career every game. Rey did pretty well in his previous big game wouldn't you say?

He is a monster, and athlete, and has attitude. He is a personality. He is the best LB available at the #5 slot.

Laurinaitis will be better than Maualuga in the NFL IMO. I don't think Rey has it upstairs. Anyway, I am still on the Curry bandwagon with our #5 pick.

I'll take that bet! Hell I go as far as say Brian Cushing will be better than JL at ILB.

I'll take that bet! Hell I go as far as say Brian Cushing will be better than JL at ILB.

It will be determined by what team drafts all these guys and takes advantage of their individual talents, each guy plays different thats why you can't compare Curry to Rey Rey and Rey Rey to JL and Cushing to all 3, because IMO in the Pro game Cushing may turn out to be the best of the group of linebackers we are discussing and as converted DE's nobody can say how Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo will be as outside linebackers. How do we know how Clay Matthews will be as a pro who does not think he was helped playing with Rey Rey and Cushing. I wish I could have all 3 USC linebackers on this team.

How do you know that Andre Smith is better than a guy you've never seen play?

I thought Jason Smith was pretty impressive in the Texas game. He completely neutralized Sergio Kindle and looked great blocking on the move. And he's not a moron, which is a plus.

Maybe I'm being a little unfair on limited assessment but aren't we all doing this to an extent Aloy? USUALLY, when they say this guy is the best tackle in the draft - his BEST highlights show someone he's blocking landing on their fanny or being stopped in their tracks in pass protection. I didn't feel like I was looking at the best blocker in the draft. That doesn't mean he won't turn out decent BUT you're telling me he's the #1 tackle in the draft and basing it on 1 good day vrs a kid from Texas and hearsay right? Don't forget Nat Dorsey of Ga Tech shut out Julius Peppers but he wasn't drafted until round 4.

I've seen ALOT of Andre Smith to know he was the difference between Bama being ELITE and worthy of losing to Utah in his absence. I call that a difference maker. If you're unsure and you like going by 1 matchup - watch Andre vrs GA and tell me what you think. I REALIZE Jason was a TE so people see athlete and upside; BUT if we're being honest at who had the more dominating year it was Andre.

THAT is why I feel bad for the kid for being DUMBER than a pile of rocks. He's not falling because he's on drugs or got into trouble with the law. He's falling because he doesn't even have a SMART agent or anyone guiding him to a lottery for one of the best skilled blockers in this draft. I can't blame people for losing interest either. He blew off job interviews - taht ain't smart!

[b]- Tom F. [/b]

Guest Aloysius

Not sure that good to great pass-blocking is something that is conveyed well by 30 second highlight packages. That was my point; you need to watch more of the guy before concluding that he isn't better than Andre Smith, especially if you're going to use that conclusion as part of an argument about Mayock's o-line scouting skills.

Not sure that good to great pass-blocking is something that is conveyed well by 30 second highlight packages. That was my point; you need to watch more of the guy before concluding that he isn't better than Andre Smith, especially if you're going to use that conclusion as part of an argument about Mayock's o-line scouting skills.

Why are you getting all sensitive on me? If I really knew what the Hell I was talking about I'd get paid for my opinions. The world isn't ready for that so let me just give you the illogical world according Flugel.

IMO, anyone that tells me Andre Smith is the 3rd best Tackle isn't going to be my go-to oline guru. When Mayock is saying "here is the guy I think is the #1 tackle in this draft" and he's describing the 2nd coming of Anthony Munoz while I'm seeing footage of a finesser that couldn't finish or maintain either of the blocks he's endorsing the kid with - I don't buy the presentation. As I've said, I think Mayock is more in love with the idea that Jason was a former TE and he has a long wing span but I don't think he keeps good leverage from the hips down, which was why he couldn't finish. Maybe that's coachable but #1????

In fairness, I've complimented Mayock up the wazoo this weekend because he does a FANTASTIC job of covering the combines and pre-draft shows. However, I don't get the impression oline is his best area of expertise. He was a corner so I LOVE hearing his perceptions of receivers, QBs, RBs, DBs, pass rushers and even LBers.

Here's a few cut and pastes from various articles that support the theory hat Andre Smith is better than #3 among his peers playing Offensive Tackle:

"As if you didn't know by watching ESPN, Alabama left tackle Andre Smith just won the 2008 Outland Trophy, an award given to the nation's best lineman. The Birmingham native allowed just one sack in a dominating year. "

From Wikipedia:

"Andre Smith, Jr. (born January 25, 1987 in Birmingham, Alabama) is an All-American offensive tackle for the Alabama Crimson Tide football program. Considered the best run blocker in college football of the past five years,[1] some experts described him as possibly the most dominating offensive lineman to enter college football since Orlando Pace."

2008 AP All-America Team

Offense

Pos Player Ht Wt Cl. School

QB Sam Bradford 6-4 215 Soph. Oklahoma

RB Shonn Greene 5-11 235 Jr. Iowa

RB Javon Ringer 5-9 202 Sr. Michigan State

WR Michael Crabtree 6-3 214 Soph. Texas Tech

WR Dez Bryant 6-2 210 Soph. Oklahoma State

TE Chase Coffman 6-6 245 Sr. Missouri

OT Andre Smith 6-5 330 Jr. Alabama

OT Michael Oher 6-5 318 Sr. Mississippi

OG Duke Robinson 6-5 330 Sr. Oklahoma

OG Herman Johnson 6-5 350 Sr. LSU

C Antoine Caldwell 6-3 305 Sr. Alabama

2008 AFCA Coaches’ All-America Team

Offense Pos. Name Ht. Wt. Cl. School Coach Hometown (High School)

WR Michael Crabtree* 6-3 208 So. Texas Tech Mike Leach Dallas, Texas (Carter)

WR Dez Bryant 6-2 215 So. Oklahoma St. Mike Gundy Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin)

TE Chase Coffman 6-6 255 Sr. Missouri Gary Pinkel Peculiar, Mo. (Raymore-Peculiar)

OL Andre Smith 6-4 330 Jr. Alabama Nick Saban Birmingham, Ala. (Huffman)

OL Brandon Carter 6-7 350 Jr. Texas Tech Mike Leach Longview, Texas (Spring Hill)

C Antoine Caldwell 6-3 305 Sr. Alabama Nick Saban Montgomery, Ala. (Lee)

OL Michael Oher 6-5 318 Sr. Mississippi Houston Nutt Memphis, Tenn. (Briarcrest Christian)

OL Andy Levitre 6-3 317 Sr. Oregon St. Mike Riley Ben Lomond, Calif. (San Lorenzo Valley)

QB Graham Harrell 6-3 205 Sr. Texas Tech Mike Leach Ennis, Texas (Ennis)

RB Knowshon Moreno 5-11 208 So. Georgia Mark Richt Belford, N.J. (Middletown South)

RB Shonn Greene 5-11 235 Jr. Iowa Kirk Ferentz Sicklerville, N.J. (Milford Acad. [Conn.])

- Tom F.

Archived