THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Josh McCown to 3 year contract

Mark O

thenew23: "This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard..."

That's because you haven't 'heard' very much...

and your dumb as the dumbest

case in point, your sn: "thenew23"

the thinking your are hearing & following.... stack on QBs till something works is seriously flawed. Hundley or Petty only compounds the problem, only sets us back further. (compounds --in this case-- means makes it worse)

there's an excellent chance to solve the problem* in 2016 (*that plagues dumb franchises for a decade long because they do things like you are speaking of doing, and would do. Do you understand the definition of insanity?

God please after 29 post, Go watch Miguel Cerbera Cabrera play Baseball the rest of the year and STFU

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now that I have had a day to digest all this, I will just stay on the bright side. Pettine wants to build the defense first so that is how the draft and any FA will be going early anyway (I can see us taking a couple of WRs late in a decently deep WR draft this year). He wanted to solve the QB problem and they have a first round QB who has now taken a major step (don't discount it) in the right direction by going to rehab. There is something they saw in Johnny Football that they liked well enough to move up to get him. Instead they ended up with Johnny Party and a starting journeyman QB who would not lift a finger to help him out for the team. His sideline pouting every time JF was in the game was pretty obvious. These coaches are smart enough to know having that situation with Hoyer was not working in terms of at least trying to bring along a rookie who has almost all shotgun experience in a different kind of offense. So they bring in both a young OC and a QB coach with some background working with JM who won't read option or pistol him to death in a brutal scheme that usually ends up in a hurt QB. Then they bring in an older QB who wants what is best for the team and does not mind being a mentor and coach on the field for the young guy.

Cliff notes bottom line-the beauty of it is that they give JF every opportunity to show if he can translate well to the pro game. And if that does not appear to be happening by the end of the season, they will be in great position for a great pick next year without having to sell out rebuilding the O, which is slated more for 2016. I like the long range plan and I like the short range to at least give our 1st rounder a full season to prove that Johnny Party is gone and Johnny Football can play the game like we expected him to do when he was drafted. And no more pouting, unhelpful player sitting on the sidelines not supporting his teammates.

Well now that I have had a day to digest all this, I will just stay on the bright side. Pettine wants to build the defense first so that is how the draft and any FA will be going early anyway (I can see us taking a couple of WRs late in a decently deep WR draft this year). He wanted to solve the QB problem and they have a first round QB who has now taken a major step (don't discount it) in the right direction by going to rehab. There is something they saw in Johnny Football that they liked well enough to move up to get him. Instead they ended up with Johnny Party and a starting journeyman QB who would not lift a finger to help him out for the team. His sideline pouting every time JF was in the game was pretty obvious. These coaches are smart enough to know having that situation with Hoyer was not working in terms of at least trying to bring along a rookie who has almost all shotgun experience in a different kind of offense. So they bring in both a young OC and a QB coach with some background working with JM who won't read option or pistol him to death in a brutal scheme that usually ends up in a hurt QB. Then they bring in an older QB who wants what is best for the team and does not mind being a mentor and coach on the field for the young guy.

Cliff notes bottom line-the beauty of it is that they give JF every opportunity to show if he can translate well to the pro game. And if that does not appear to be happening by the end of the season, they will be in great position for a great pick next year without having to sell out rebuilding the O, which is slated more for 2016. I like the long range plan and I like the short range to at least give our 1st rounder a full season to prove that Johnny Party is gone and Johnny Football can play the game like we expected him to do when he was drafted. And no more pouting, unhelpful player sitting on the sidelines not supporting his teammates.

Well stated.

Mike

Good job Ag.....

And lets add....the Browns have NOT said McCown is the future, the answer or the starter......so y'all can stop cryin like they did....

Holy cow.....maybe Farmer can drop his pants and push out a starter....eh?

Yesterday, not only did we not have a starter....we didn't even have a BACKUP...so.....

Its VERY early...the DRAFT and FA are still out there and a LOT can happen in the coming months....possibilities???....

1) Signing/trading for a starter can still happen and McCown becomes the experienced backup and Shaw/JFF fight for the last spot

2) Drafting a rookie QB to compete with JFF and learn from McCown

3) JFF comes back determined to prove us all wrong and steps up to plate himself.....

....there are 3 very real possibilities.....none of which has McCown as the starter......

So, we can wait and see what they do......or we can overreact and start crying before things even get started(oops...too late)....

I for one don't have to shit on Hoyer's memory to feel better about signing Josh.

I call it like it is. He was pouting on the sidelines and not lifting a finger. He is the one that left that memory, not I. Had he not done it I would never have said a thing.

I call it like it is. He was pouting on the sidelines and not lifting a finger. He is the one that left that memory, not I. Had he not done it I would never have said a thing.

How was Hoyer supposed to look when JM was on the field?

Did you ever see a sideline shot when our D was on the field that Hoyer was not on the opposite of the Shanny from Johnny?

JM"s game could not have been lifted with a fucking crane let alone a finger.

You call it like you are inclined to see it.

Did you ever see a sideline shot when our D was on the field that Hoyer was not on the opposite of the Shanny from Johnny?

Great point.

When johnny "started" I remember seeing them yuck it up on the sideline.

Can't blame hoyer or the browns. I understand both sides. We want a qb of the future and apparently they don't think hoyer is it. Hoyer wants to start. At an impass.

I don't think Hoyer was ever the same after getting hurt. Smart qb, wanted to get

bigger bucks, I wish him the best. Gee, maybe he'll still sign with the Browns - he

should be able to beat our McCown, right?

Whatever. McCown is far more a mentor for JF when he gets himself

all straightened out in his life....

To the fist line-more congratulatory when JF scored the running TD late in that previous game. You know kind of like how JF was doing that for him earlier in the season whenever he scored.

To the second line-possibly so. You'd have to ask the others how they saw it if that be the case. But that is how I saw it. As to the two on either side of shanny-that's a requirement, not an option.

So the QB, freshly pulled from his dream job, is supposed to congrat the kid he knows he can outplay? I'll have to watch for that as I have never seen it.

As for "the requirement"... apparently another rules violation they let Johnny skate on with regularity.

unfortunately shitting on the player who's not your own personal guy is par for the course here. I don't know that shitting on is the appropriate term for pointing out the obvious, and that is that somebody with a higher pay scale than me or any of you didn't want Brian Hoyer. Actually I'm curious as to why but reasonable enough to realize that a straight answer out of any front office is almost non existent.

WSS

JM"s game could not have been lifted with a fucking crane let alone a finger.

This is the part of the FO mindset I just don't comprehend, they sign McCown to mentor JFF.

Does Johnny want to have a mentor, or someone that would "coach him up"?

I don't see it, I think of the old saying that you can lead a horse to water when it comes to teaching Johnny anything.

Unless, McCown was brought in to mentor a yet to be drafted QB.

Im not so sure it's about McCown "coaching anyone up", as much as it's about having a veteran QB in the room who isn't a wedge between players,....and can act as a mentor to any young QB interested in learning....

Does JFF "want" a mentor?....who knows......but he definitely needs one.....for both the field and life

I thank Hoyer for his time with the Browns and wish him the best.

I think the Browns are moving on a couple of tracks trying to keep all the options open. They don't want to give up on JM after 6 quarters but they also are putting things in place in such as stating one of their goals is building the defense up to an elite in the NFL and having the ability to win games on defense. Whatever QB starts will have a great offensive line to work with.

So the org knew Hoyer didn't want to be here after the Manziel pressure last year unless he got paid booku bucks and even then I think he'd still feel that pressure in his mind.

They bring in someone a little younger with about the same stats and more playing experience who flat out said he doesn't give a shit about what's going on with Manziel AND will even mentor him.........

And this is bad how? (Don't have to draft a QB and wAs rated best FA QB).

Actually, McCown is older than Hoyer. So assuming Brian doesn't want to be here, we traded one career backup for another career backup, similar lifetime stats. Not an upgrade in any way. Unless you want to count the mentoring role an "upgrade".

Actually, we traded one career backup for another career backup, similar lifetime stats. Not an upgrade in any way. Unless you want to count the mentoring role an "upgrade".

and the willingness to be the backup....I think that is a key element here....

which also leads me to believe that McCown isn't plan A, which I think Hoyer wanted to be?.....

So, yeah....same stats...not an upgrade in skill set...but, until they tell me he's the one they plan on as #1 QB, im looking at this signing as more of a Gary Danielson/Ty Detmer situation

I was thinkin about what our team would look like if we get 1st round production out of:

1- a healthy Mingo

2- a focused Gilbert, and

3- a sober Manziel

Add in 2 more 1st round picks this year and if all goes well this team could be really good.

I know that's optimistic but all the offseason moves, including signing McCown, seem to be pointed toward Manziel being our guy. I guess we're going to find out sooner than later. I'm not sold it's a great plan, but it does seem like there's at least a plan in place, something we have not seen from our FO in like 15 years...

Archived